Start by marking “Finder, Vol. 09: Voice” as Want to Read:
Finder, Vol. 09: Voice

Finder, Vol. 09: Voice (Finder #9)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Designed as a jumping-on point for new readers, Voice follows Rachel Grosvenor as she navigates the high-pressure social gauntlet that is her clan's "conformation" process, competing for knighthood in an attempt to win security for her mother and sister. (Lynne, however, can take care of himself.) But when the heirloom that's key to her eligibility is stolen, Rachel faces...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Dark Horse (first published February 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Finder, Vol. 09, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finder, Vol. 09

Kevin Fanning
The amount of world-building Carla Speed McNeil has done around her stories is way beyond stunning. I don't know who else to compare her to besides Tolkien. Which isn't fair! Because I like her WAY BETTER than Tolkien. There's a really progressive, transgressive, feminist thing happening in McNeil's work but it's also extremely fun & funny & engaging. It would be one thing if she has just created this world with all these insane ideas in it. But then on top of that she tells thrilling, h...more
Mpho3
Any volume of Finder is easier to read then it is to describe. Shaenon Garrity characterized the series in The Comics Journal, as being 'simultaneously straightforward and labyrinthine, genre-based and uncategorizable. It’s solid sci-fi of the kind they were making in the 1970s, Ursula Le Guin/Vonda McIntyre type stuff that’s all about anthropology and world-building and a little bit of the old feminism. McNeil calls it ‘aboriginal science fiction'.’’ Truthfully, reading Finder is more fun than...more
Fungus Gnat
Rachel Grosvenor is a young lady faced with a set of challenges: To get anywhere in her world, she has to win a beauty contest for which she is ill suited, and the night before the finals she is mugged, thereby losing the ring she must have to stay in contention. Her attempt to cajole a judge into giving her a replacement ring by doing him (or her) a favor comes to naught, and the one person who might be able to find the ring, an ex-boyfriend of her mother’s, is elusive, if not evanescent.

I sho...more
Steve
Carla Speed McNeil's Finder series is the best science-fiction comic currently published, and the most recent installment continues the high level of quality McNeil has established in earlier volumes. The Finder books take place in a rich foreign landscape, but like the best writers of sci-fi (and unlike the worst) she knows that it's more important that SHE has it all worked out and only gives us the audience peeks at that world. Her books are also populated with fantastically rounded out chara...more
Adam Boisvert
It's good. I've been less-then-pleased with the past couple of Finder collections, but with this one I feel McNeil is back at the top of her game.

The story focuses on Rachel, who may be the least interesting of the Grosvenor-Lockhart children, but this story hints that she'll have a pretty interesting adulthood. Lynne gets some good scenes, but most of his story remains untold. Chief Coward also makes an appearance, in which he is his usual awesome self, though he spends most of the story uncons...more
Oleg Kagan
One has the feeling, when reading Voice that there's more to these drawings, and this book, then meets the eye. That reading it over one or two more times will catch details that were missed in the first read-through. And yet, even a single reading yields a fascinating world filled with authority politics, gender-queer/neutral/huh? people, special powers and talismans, and compelling characters. Even more interesting is that this is Volume 9 of a longer series. Must see about getting others.

p.s...more
Fox
The skill with which Carla Speed McNeil weaves the world of Finder never ceases to amaze me. Every installment in this series brings out new information, new cultural information, and elaborates upon old characters that we may only have met for a second three volumes before. McNeil's imagination is vast, and I feel truly blessed to be given the chance to delve into it through these volumes.

Unlike previous volumes, Voice focuses more heavily upon the Llaverac clan and the way in which one becomes...more
Mikael Kuoppala
The ninth volume of "Finder" puts Rachel Grosvenor, previously a rather minor supporting character, into the spotlight. It's time for her to make it big. As a member of a powerful clan from one side, she has the chance to rise high on the social ladder, securing financial stability for her and her sister. She only has to win what rather strikingly resembles a beauty pageant.

Spending her evenings showing herself in fancy dresses to the clan elders, she has invested it all. But there are other thi...more
Wandering Librarians
Anvard is a society split in to clans, and Rachel Grosvenor is the daughter of a Medawar father and a Llaverac mother. Rachel has worked long and hard to be part of the contest to be admitted to the Llaverac clan. Being accepted in to the clan will secure her family's future. Only days before the final competition, her mother's Llaverac heirloom ring is stolen, and Rachel can't compete without it. Now she has to find a Finder to help her get it back, and in doing so she uncovers more of Anvard t...more
Phillip
This was absolutely wonderful and, still flush from having just finished it, I'd say that it was even better than Talisman, which seemed to end roughly where Voice picks up. Anyone planning on reading this needs to read at least the first three volumes in the Finder series beforehand. Many of the background characters that show up here were introduced in those volumes. The Finder series is nominally about the adventures of Jaeger, but my favorite volumes have always been the ones that focus on t...more
David
Carla Speed McNeil is brilliant!

This is an amazing graphic novel, a kind of Persephone story set in a future self-contained city ruled by genetic clans. Rachel Grosvenor, privileged daughter of a major clan, loses a valuable physical artifact at a critical time, and to find it, she must descend into the depths (both literally and socially) of the city. In the process, she must also lose and find herself as well. As the chapter headings indicate, her psychological journey takes her from being a p...more
Melanie
I am a big fan of the graphic novel and was extremely excited about this book. I was sadly disappointed on many levels which may have been from my own expectations, who knows.
Even though this is the 9th volume in the series, it has been described as a good launching point for new readers. I could not have been more confused when I started reading this book. This could be because it is just a piece of a huge series, but I don't really have a desire to explore the other books to find out. The stor...more
Matt
I get an emotional rush unlike any other from reading a book in the Finder series. This latest installation is no exception.

Rachel Grosvenor feels like someone I've watched grow up, raised by two differently-crazy parents and her mother's terrifying vagabond mutt boyfriend (series protagonist Jaeger Ayers), she and her siblings were bound to turn out remarkable and odd. Rachel's story does not disappoint.

The burden placed on Rachel's shoulders has always been that she has to be accepted by her m...more
ambyr
Sadly, book club discussion did not really increase my appreciation of this novel (though it did suggest I might have gotten more out of it had I read the preceding volumes). The plot is too fragmented for my taste, the worldbuilding is shallow, and the protagonist goes from bland to outright unlikable, mostly because of her habit of casually outing trans people.

I liked the panel layouts and some of the art, but in the end, I'm just not a huge graphic novel person. I can read text or I can look...more
Levi
Very nice art. Interesting subjects---racism/police violence and non-traditional genders, oh my!---even though none of the characters was likeable or relatable. (Actually, that's not completely true---Lord what's-his-face was interesting, even though he's supposed to be the main antagonist.)

The thing that really charmed me was a liberal sprinkling of what we'd call trans* women, and effeminate butches of indeterminate assigned sex (many with facial hair, OH MY). My heart went pitter-patter. All...more
Steve
Stunning. How could I have missed this long-running series. Definitely want more or this intelligent SF thriller. Apparently this is a good starting point for new readers. Rachel is vying for admittance into a clan. If she succeeds it will benefit her family. We learn a lot about the world and how it works as Rachel attempts to recover a family ring. The ring is her entrance ticket to the clan competition, and that makes it near priceless. We also learn about Rachel.
Finder explores prejudice, ca...more
Mel
Compared to comic books of superheros running around saving the world this was very good. Compared with comics that are totally honest and rip your heart out it wasn't quite there. It was interesting, a young girl coming of age and trying to make her way in the bizarre world in which she'd been born. The problem was how normal the girl was, trying to win a beauty contest to join the ideal beauty of her clan. She was just a bit normal and dull and hard to identify with, her mismatched brothers an...more
Malcolm
I'm going to try to read more Finder volumes. The world of clans and culls seems detailed and interesting.
Gayle Francis Moffet
I really am running out of ways to tell you to read this series. Voice is the same high-caliber story in the same fully fleshed world with the same lovely art and depth as volumes 1 and 2. This story focuses on Rachel, the eldest sister from the first volume of Finder, and her story is interesting and intense and equally heart-breaking and lovely.

If you like sci-fi, if you like women, if you have thoughts on gender politics, read it. If you just want a good, interesting story, read it. If you w...more
Christian Lipski
Can't say enough about the incredibly rich world-building in McNeil's FINDER books. It's quite dense, but the characters are instantly identifiable and a ton of fun. In Voice, a young girl is in the running to become a full member of one of the many clans in the city, which carries with it a great deal of her future. Alas, there is trouble, and young Rachel must find her solution in both the mansions of the Llaverac Clan and the dark back streets frequented by the nomadic Ascians.

I can't get eno...more
A. M.
A volume read out of order. I had never encountered Finder before, and was mistakenly led to believe that Voice was its first entry. It speaks volumes, then, that the complex world within was believable, legible, and reasonably translucent. Without heavy exposition, I was able to glean enough about the characters and their world to understand both, and to enjoy them as well. Dealing as it does with complex issues of class and gender, and deftly so, I find myself looking forward to starting the s...more
Mabel
Not quite as good as the first two Library collections of Finder, mostly due to the lack of depth, but I still very much enjoy everything Carla Speed McNeil puts into her world.

Considering how much this story focuses on the Llaverac clan and their ambiguous sex characteristics and feminine gender presentation, I'm disappointed that McNeil hasn't once mentioned the existence of trans people in her notes, but I get that it isn't really her point or her job to do that.
Nick Fagerlund
Yesss, new Finder book.

So this one was interesting. I'd always wondered who Rachel would decide to turn into. She's not a unreservedly likable character the way, say, Marcie is, so I'll be interested to see what kind of reputation this episode gets. (I liked it, but not unreservedly.)

Also, I have some misgivings about the ending and the situation with Chief Coward's band, but I'm not sure I can articulate 'em yet. It could stand a re-read.
Julian
I found this by accident at the library and thought it was a stand-alone story. Only after reading it did I find out it is part of a series. Now, I usually like to read things in sequence so I was a little disappointed, but I'm happy to have found another great series to read!
Great imagery and cyberpunk-y enough to satisfy. Quirky, fun and just-enough angst to build tension without being trite. Thoroughly enjoyed!
Scott Kroll
Carla Speed McNeil is a master of comics. Whenever I finish a volume of Finder, I get really sad that it's over. I feel like I was just on a trip to visit old fiends. Now I'm back, and I don't know when I'll ever see them again.

This is probably not the best introduction to the series, but it's a great read regardless.
Peter Landis
Despite not understanding what was going on half of the time, I was still pulled into this graphic novel and enjoyed the experience.

I wish I would have known before starting that at the end of the book the author wrote summaries for page, explaining what was going on.

Art: 3 stars
Story: 2.5 stars
Brian
Carla Speed McNeil is the best writer in comics today. The world she imagines is so vividly realized with a back story that is detailed and internally consistent to a degree rarely seen in any written genre. I recommend this to everybody, but first read the two-volume collection titled Sin Eater.
Kristin Boldon
I've been reading this series since it started in '96. The author calls it "aboriginal science fiction." I'm gaining more and more respect for the term "speculative fiction." But whatever it's called, I love this series.
Mely
Um, wow, triggery like whoa for consent issues. Interesting commentary on class and race privilege. The story ... hmmm. I need to sort out where it went from where I expected it to go.

I need to reread the earlier volumes.
Daniel Cooksey
Finder always floats my boat, and this latest installment (finally!) is absolutely brilliant. The art is still like nothing else out there but McNeil's gained a looseness and fluidity that really enhances her storytelling.
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Richard Stark's Parker: Slayground
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #3
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Silent Bombs Falling on Green Grass
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volume 1: Poor Boys and Pilgrims
  • Glory: The Once and Future Destroyer, Volume 1
  • Who is Jake Ellis? Volume 1
  • Pop Gun War Volume 1
  • The Escapists
  • We Can Fix It: A Time Travel Memoir
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Rachel Rising: The Shadow of Death (Rachel Rising, #1)
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
Finder Library Volume 1 Finder, Vol. 01: Sin-Eater 1 Bad Houses Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman Finder, Vol. 02: Sin-Eater 2