Start by marking “Creative Girl: The Ultimate Guide for Turning Talent and Creativity Into a Real Career” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  10 reviews
If thereOCOs no stability in the corporate world, why not do what you love? "Creative Girl "shows women how to turn their talents into a money-making careerOC smartly. Whether readers are just tapping into their creativity and want to see where it takes them, or if theyOCOre already making a creative living and know itOCOs time to grab hold of the next level of success, th ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Creative Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Girl

A Tisbear
Almost the entire second half of the book is focused on entrepreneurship & self employment, & half of THAT is specifically for someone like the author who has products that they'd like to sell to celebs (like jewelry). Those topics aren't really what I expected the book to focus so heavily on and they aren't the reason I picked it up.

I liked the journal exercises (coping with a dull day-job, fear chart, emotional/mental well-being). The rest of advice & topics were simply okay. The
Meril
The chapters on pricing and small business planning were useful but most of this book wasn't particularly inspirational or helpful for my particular creative path (for one thing, I already know what fields I'm pursuing, and I have much better general resume/interview books already.) Sise's example "Creative Girls" (and, ugh, do I hate "girl" for anyone over 25) mostly seem to be very successful NYC-based creative types. I'm not chasing celeb business with my makeup or design in LA or NY; I'm doi ...more
Jessica

I really loved this book. I was a bit put off at first by the girl part. It seemed slightly condescending. But the book is full of very practical, helpful information on everything from writing a business plan to pricing and how to tackle creative block. I also found the journaling exercises to be very helpful in figuring out what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go with it. I do wish more CGs had been included from more service based businesses as opposed to products or acting, but the fir
Beth
My husband picked this out for me at the library, but I ended up buying my own copy. It's one of the most inspiring, helpful and reassuring books I've read, and one I'll be referring back to throughout my career. I'd definitely read another book by this author.
Robin Norgren
I did this as a book group on my blog to help me really dive into the information presented within the pages. I loved Sise's writing style and her information was fresh and insightful. I am always a fan of behind the scenes interviews and she provided MANY!
Charlotte
I found this helpful, practical, and encouraging. It got me thinking in the right direction and scribbling notes to myself. Some parts didn't apply to my situation, but enough did that it was worth my time.
Traci
Solid info, but it needed a more thorough proofread before publication. And as a Creative Girl who makes her living as a copy editor, I have no problem with taking away stars for this issue.
Terri
I was a bit worried about what the tone of this would be like -- girl in the title and all -- but it's actually a pretty common-sense guide to making a living in a creative field.
Rebecca
In our teen nonfiction section.
Amber Jacobs
Helpful so far :D
Alison Gallagher
Alison Gallagher marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Shan White
Shan White marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
e
e marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sachi Carson
Sachi Carson marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Amandab
Amandab marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Carissa
Carissa is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2013