Start by marking “Creative Girl: The Ultimate Guide for Turning Talent and Creativity Into a Real Career” as Want to Read:

If thereOCOs no stability in the corporate world, why not do what you love? "Creative Girl "shows women how to turn their talents into a money-making careerOC smartly. Whether readers are just tapping into their creativity and want to see where it takes them, or if theyOCOre already making a creative living and know itOCOs time to grab hold of the next level of success, th ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Creative Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Girl

A Tisbear
Mar 12, 2015 A Tisbear rated it it was ok
Almost the entire second half of the book is focused on entrepreneurship & self employment, & half of THAT is specifically for someone like the author who has products that they'd like to sell to celebs (like jewelry). Those topics aren't really what I expected the book to focus so heavily on and they aren't the reason I picked it up.

I liked the journal exercises (coping with a dull day-job, fear chart, emotional/mental well-being). The rest of advice & topics were simply okay. The
Ayana
Sep 07, 2015 Ayana rated it really liked it
I really liked it. Although it's a little bit older and some of the examples are a little dated thats okay. There is still a lot of sufficient information in that book to help someone start their own business/entrepreneur and a lot of great resources. I thought it was a good read and very empowering. I highly recommend it!
Meril
Aug 31, 2014 Meril rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, h
The chapters on pricing and small business planning were useful but most of this book wasn't particularly inspirational or helpful for my particular creative path (for one thing, I already know what fields I'm pursuing, and I have much better general resume/interview books already.) Sise's example "Creative Girls" (and, ugh, do I hate "girl" for anyone over 25) mostly seem to be very successful NYC-based creative types. I'm not chasing celeb business with my makeup or design in LA or NY; I'm doi ...more
Jessica
Jun 19, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing

I really loved this book. I was a bit put off at first by the girl part. It seemed slightly condescending. But the book is full of very practical, helpful information on everything from writing a business plan to pricing and how to tackle creative block. I also found the journaling exercises to be very helpful in figuring out what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go with it. I do wish more CGs had been included from more service based businesses as opposed to products or acting, but the fir
Violet Patterson
May 10, 2016 Violet Patterson rated it liked it
In general this was well done but it was a little too basic for my tastes and only offered a smattering of "creative-minded" nuances.
bethany
Mar 20, 2011 bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My husband picked this out for me at the library, but I ended up buying my own copy. It's one of the most inspiring, helpful and reassuring books I've read, and one I'll be referring back to throughout my career. I'd definitely read another book by this author.
Robin Norgren
May 13, 2011 Robin Norgren rated it it was amazing
I did this as a book group on my blog to help me really dive into the information presented within the pages. I loved Sise's writing style and her information was fresh and insightful. I am always a fan of behind the scenes interviews and she provided MANY!
Charlotte
Feb 26, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
I found this helpful, practical, and encouraging. It got me thinking in the right direction and scribbling notes to myself. Some parts didn't apply to my situation, but enough did that it was worth my time.
Traci
Solid info, but it needed a more thorough proofread before publication. And as a Creative Girl who makes her living as a copy editor, I have no problem with taking away stars for this issue.
Terri
Jan 09, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: career
I was a bit worried about what the tone of this would be like -- girl in the title and all -- but it's actually a pretty common-sense guide to making a living in a creative field.
Rebecca
In our teen nonfiction section.
Amber Jacobs
Oct 30, 2010 Amber Jacobs rated it it was ok
Helpful so far :D
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Jennifer Flack
Jennifer Flack marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Alyssa Haverfield
Alyssa Haverfield marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Summer
Summer rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
michelle
michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Laura Thompson
Laura Thompson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Savannah
Savannah rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Peggy Kucia
Peggy Kucia marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Kara Jay
Kara Jay marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Amanda Skinner
Amanda Skinner is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2016
Brittany Parkerson
Brittany Parkerson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sherrill
Sherrill marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015