A Clash of Innocents

A Clash of Innocents

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In modern-day Cambodia, and older American woman runs an orphanage. When a young backpacker appears wanting to stay and help, suspicions are aroused and the orderly workings of the home are disrupted. Against the beginning of the UN Trial for Justice, the past and present collide to force us to ask who takes responsibility for murder?
Published September 25th 2010 by Ward Wood

To ask other readers questions about A Clash of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Clash of Innocents

Ola
From the first page A Clash of Innocence is a great read. Set in Cambodia, Sue Guiney introduces the country itself as a character in the book. She writes with great detail about the sights sounds and smells of Cambodia and rises to the subtle challenge of describing a resilient nation coming to terms with its tragic past.
Deborah - the main protagonist is strong, flawed, and determined woman who runs an orphanage. She manages under great difficulty to keep things going with the help of her adopt...more
Lynda Renham
What a marvellous book.
Having returned from Cambodia for the second time this book helped keep my mind there.
I loved it. A beautiful story of Cambodia.
Kept me gripped and the colours and smells of Cambodia were so vivid as I read.
The story of Deborah and the young woman who enters her life and the lives of her children at the Orphanage she runs is unforgettable.
A wonderful read.
So happy to have made contact with the author after having bought this while in a bookshop in Siem Reap. I certainly br...more
Tania
This novel is set in Cambodia and the country is also a character in the story, so strongly is it felt here. We meet Deborah, an American who runs an orphanage, and we meet all "her" children, each one beautifully-portrayed. There are secrets, strangers arrive, there is tragedy and joy. This is a story that will grip you, with its very real and flawed protagonists and fascinating setting. I read the book straight through, I was utterly absorbed. A wonderful novel, highly recommended.
Glyn Pope
I have to say 3 stars for this because I don't think it was as good as Tangled Roots, but it was close. I think for me it was the setting. I wasn't keen and I found one of two of the characters a bit twee. But, I can still recommend it as a good read. Three and a half stars to be fair!
Trebledb
Cambodia as experienced by an American orphanage overseer: a mingling of American 70s revolution with upheaval in Cambodia. A well put together
story.
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Jit
Jit marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2012
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2011
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2010
Sue
Sep 13, 2010 Sue added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Although born and raised in New York, Sue has lived in London for over 20 years where she writes and teaches fiction, poetry and plays. She has a passionate connection to Cambodia, where she goes every year to teach the Creative Writing Workshop she founded there for street kids. This passion is reflected in her series of novels set in modern day Cambodia:
[book : A Clash of Innocents]