3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  983 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The original version (this book was revised and republished as Treason).
Published June 28th 1980 by Dell Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1979)

Olethros
-Ideas interesantes desde posiciones de principiante.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Lanik Mueller debe heredar en un futuro los dominios de su reino/familia, cuyo don es la regeneración de su organismo, pero al ser diagnosticado como regenerador radical su posición social y familiar cambia totalmente. Su padre, combinando destierro, política interna y espionaje internacional, le manda a investigar cómo otra familia/reino, los Nkumai, están haciendo crecer sus dominios por la fuerza...more
Helen
Jun 23, 2012 Helen added it
I read this book when I was nineteen ( 30 years ago).. I loved it .. it has stuck in my mind.. *I read so so many books that unless a book really touches me in some manner I forget about it ,, not remembering having read it I will at sometime down the road pick it up again and start reading then realizing that I had already consumed it.. this book touched me .. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.. especially if you like science fiction..
Jason
I remember this book in dreams and sometimes scenes from it seem to replace memories from my childhood. I read it when I was young and the ideas and themes presented within are so raw and vivid. This is not just a sci-fi novel, this is a journey through the readers life. It fills in any gaps you had from being sheltered, or simply missing out on certain lifestyles. This book made me think, dream, and believe, so many new things.
Matteo Pellegrini
Lanik Mueller, erede di una delle più ricche e potenti Famiglie del pianeta Treason, non si stupisce per l'occasionale crescita di un organo o di un arto qualsiasi: è sufficiente rimuoverlo e il suo corpo guarirà in brevissimo tempo. Ma come si spiega questa straordinaria facoltà? Tremila anni prima, i capostipiti delle Famiglie di Treason si macchiarono di un orribile crimine verso la Repubblica interstellare e furono brutalmente esiliati sul pianeta, costretti a sottostare a una severa legge
Keith Jones
I don't know how to describe this book. It started out good enough. Very interesting. And, then... Well, I just don't know what to say... it got weird... creepy...
Bill Purdy
Mar 01, 2008 Bill Purdy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenage boys, traditional sci-fi fans
A Planet Called Treason (later reworked and republished as Treason) was the first Card book I read. It was a selection of the Science Fiction Book Club, to which I belonged for several years.

The story is, perhaps, not as well developed as Card's later work, but to my 8th grade imagination, it was immaculate. Every night for the week in which I first read it (and for the two subsequent teenage re-readings as well), I'd set the book on the nightstand and drift to sleep imagining I was an inhabitan...more
Stephannestacey Stacey
Must read. So many unique ideas I don't know where to start. This is like Gulliver's Travels but the stories are different. Unlike the places that Gulliver went to where no one knew about any of the others, this is a planet aware of everyone else, but not aware. I won't elaborate on that at all, you have to read the book to understand.

As a FYI, this version is the first original edition. Orson rewrote this book and republished it later. It is also a version hard to get your hands on. (I may be p...more
Quentin
Why have I been putting off reading this book for so long? After reading this, and OSC's most popular work: "Ender's Game" I believe, honestly, that this book is better; this book is his best work he's ever accomplished (Out of what I've read from him).
The first half of the book I started reading; it was weird and different, so I didn't read too often. But after the plot finally fulfilled, 3/4ths of the way through the book, I began reading non-stop.
The Schwartzes are the best characters in the...more
Christian
THis is my favorite action book. Lanik Meuller embarks on an epic quest to free himself of the disease of being a R.A.D. to discover that he is in the middle of a war-of-families that has been raging between the people of the planet Treason since the time they were exiled to the planet from Earth. I can't tell you enough how much the book sings to me.

I do not like the parts where Lanik's girlfriend sleeps with the people who live in the trees who change time . . . but I guess if there weren't s...more
Cmadler
Even though the prose is not Card's best -- a problem largely fixed in Card's 1988 re-write titled simply Treason -- the underlying story is easily one of Card's best.

Without going into too many details, I will simply note that there are a lot of themes common to much of Card's work. On a planet populated by the descendants of intellectuals who had attempted to rebel against an interstellar society, iron is only mineable in a forbidding desert (c.f. Hot Sleep/The Worthing Chronicle). A young pro...more
Randy
Overall,

I did enjoy this book. After having read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game,Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide--just a few in the Ender's Game Series, I knew I liked this author.

He definitely has an imagination and a mind for science fiction.

Because I do not want to give much away I will be short.

A Planet Called Treason

Pros - creative story with some depth, intelligent author with grasp of scientific concepts

Cons - A tad too vulgar/crude at times, not the best writing in parts, at times it...more
Stephen Arnott
Perhaps my favourite work by OSC. A feudal planet inhabited by the descendants of a group of traitor scientists, each family possessing its own special skills.
Robert
Has a good pace and some clever writing, but the huge amount of racism and sexism makes it unpleasantly unenjoyable.
Brian
I loved this book and have reread it multiple times. Yes, this was one of OSC's earlier works and the writing isn't as polished as his later stuff but that doesn't detract from the story.

I love how fast the story moved and how he didn't linger on details, it really made it more fable like. The book can be described as spiritual as Lanik travels the world and learns powers from the people he meets. There are some interesting plot twists that you never see coming and make the book very unique.

I r...more
Cbuck
Of all of Card's earlier works, I always thought this story would make the best feature film. It has all the important components for a movie, but without the complexity of the Ender series or Worthing Saga. It would be very fast-paced, filled with special effects, love, action, and diverse scenery. Put Orlando Bloom in the lead, and you've got yourself a major hit.

In later works (Lost Boys, Homebody, Magic Street), Card was intentionally writing in a way that could be moved to film at a later d...more
Rob
A good pulp sci-fi adventure/philosophy book, kind of in the same vein as Gulliver's Travels. Certainly more about ideas than anything else, it still succeeds as a fast-paced action story, never really settling down to create a scene, but whisking through one event to the next. I did get kind of a kick out of one resolution--the world would probably be better off without the politicians.
Steve
I love this book. Of course it's an early novel of Card's, but the concept is immaculately presented, and it's so much better than Card's revision ('Treason' - 1988), written in the third person, which loses a great deal of the impact of the original.

Card has a tendency to revise or expand his older works; I wish he'd just concentrate on writing new novels!
David Monroe
Feb 26, 2011 David Monroe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scott Card fans, Fans of fast-paced-plot-driven fiction
Recommended to David by: SF Book Club
I read this when it came out in '80 or '81. I remember really enjoying it. I re-read it around '95 and couldn't get past how badly written his characters were. It's completely plot-driven and a fast read. I've not read the book "Treason" that is an expanded version of APCT, it seems to be a love it or loathe it.
Hallie
I only got one chapter in - that's all it took to know it wasn't worth it. This must be very early Card, because it reads like a horrible Ursula K. LeGuin impersonation. The prose is childish, the characters flat, and the story was not gripping enough to persuade me to continue reading. Skip it.
Peter
Apr 20, 2008 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any SF fan
An imaginative and well-written book about various branches of science developed to an unheard-of degree by the descendants of rebels on a prison planet. Quite a memorable work. Unfortunately Card rather ruined it in a later re-write under the name Treason.
Lance
The very first Card book I read and I did not like it. While the science was good, the fiction wasn't. I thought the characters were vapid and shallow. This is a shorter and earlier version of his later book Treason.
Bee
My husband read this to me on our honeymoon last week (it's his favorite book). I really enjoyed it -- more so, admittedly, than the only other Orson Scott Card novel I've read, ENDER'S GAME.
Trish
It is clear that this is one of Cards early books, as the writing is not as cohesive and polished as most of his other stuff, that being said, I really love the idea, very original.
David
The rewrite as Treason is much better. This edition uses racial slurs.
Erika Nelson
Orson Scott Card is SUCH a weirdo. I enjoyed reading through this Gulliver's Travels style trip through Card's imagination in this very early work of his.
Dave
Juvenile. Horses called Hitler and Himmler? Are you kidding me? He becomes a much better writer. Try Ender’s Game instead.
Aaron
it was the first book I read by Card. pretty good book, but it introduced me to him and ender so I have to like it.
Kimberley
I can't get this book out of my head. And I read it years ago. Go figure.
Bob
I read this novel when it was republished in 2006 as "Treason".
Marcus Ossowski
Read it under the old title "Treason." One of Card's best books.
  • Courtship Rite
  • Project Pope
  • Simulacron 3
  • At Winter's End
  • Mission To The Stars
  • The Seedling Stars
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • Queen of Angels (Queen of Angels, #1)
  • The Lovers
  • Glory Season
  • Ports of Call
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx, #7)
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Permanence
  • The Hemingway Hoax
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars
  • Illegal Alien
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)