Start by marking “The Conservative Assault on the Constitution” as Want to Read:
The Conservative Assault on the Constitution

The Conservative Assault on the Constitution

Book by Chemerinsky, Erwin
Published September 28th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Conservative Assault on the Constitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conservative Assault on the Constitution

Sarah Anne
Feb 17, 2017 Sarah Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I actually really looked at this title I thought that it would be interesting information but not in any way unbiased. I was rather surprised by the content because although it's told from a liberal view point, he actually is describing something that's like the erosion of the rights that the Constitution is meant to protect. It's basically about how liberals view the rights in the Constitution more broadly and conservatives more narrowly. The title itself is important because the way that ...more
Mark Prak
Not impressive at all. Erwin seems to think that anything done with 5 votes by the Warren Court was carved in stone, but anything done by 5 other justices that he disagrees with is an abomination. His desire for a results oriented jurisprudence has created the problem of which he complains. First work of his I'd read. I expected more. And I was disappointed in his blatantly political and extreme left wing world view.
Christopher
Apr 04, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
Enjoyable, accessible book for law nerds and only occasionally laundry-listy. And, yes, I did carry it across the office once to answer a question, which was very satisfying.
Bonni
Jul 19, 2013 Bonni rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, politics, law
In the past, when I have heard about "a side" not respecting the constitution, the criticism is usually lobbed at liberals. Chermerinsky's view is quite different. He gives examples of how, since President Nixon's nomination of four conservative supreme court justices, many 5-4 court decisions have chipped away at some of our fundamental, constitutional rights.

I walk away after reading this book knowing a lot more about the constitution and the supreme court. If you are looking for a balanced v
Tarren Lopez
Sep 14, 2011 Tarren Lopez rated it it was amazing
What an amazing and frightening book! I love love loved it!
Book
Jun 24, 2011 Book rated it it was amazing
The Conservative Assault on the Constitution by Erwin Chemerinsky

The Conservative Assault on the Constitution is a must read book for anyone who cares about the application of the Constitution. And who better to educate us on it than distinguished law professor and constitutional expert Erwin Chemerinsky? Mr. Chemerinsky takes us through a series of the most interesting legal issues of our time and the impact that the composition of the Supreme Court has on such legal decisions. Fascinating boo
Ryan
A really well-informed and well argued book concerning the last 45 years or so of Supreme Court decisions. Especially relevant to me is the rejection of the myth of "original intent." The author absolutely slays the argument that judges even have the capacity to act as impartial interpreters of the Constitution. Showing how it's impossible to judge on Constitutional matters without making value choices and sifting through layers of abstractions found in a 200+ year old document, Chemerinsky obli ...more
Brett
Aug 07, 2015 Brett rated it really liked it
This book is a high-level review of the conservative drift of the Supreme Court beginning with the Justices appointed by Richard Nixon. It is pretty effective in describing how this drift has happened and the practical effects of this drift in a variety of kinds of constitutional law cases.

Chemerinsky is a law professor who has argued in front of the Supreme Court on several of the cases he writes about. The parts of the book where he can tell a narrative from his own viewpoint about the progres
Michael DelMuro
Dec 31, 2010 Michael DelMuro rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
Everything you assume Chemerinsky wrote about in this book is true:
- The right wing assault on our rights is occurring
- Alito, Roberts, Thomas, Scalia and Kennedy like corporations and government power
- There's a major disconnect (double speak?) between what conservatives say they look for in a judge and what type of judges they nominate.

Chemerinsky argues that the idea of a judge as an "umpire" is a false one and that that is one of the real problems with judges today.

One problem for me was t
jeffrey
May 14, 2011 jeffrey rated it it was amazing
I agree with most of the prior reviews- this is an excellently and clearly written work that is a must read, particularly near presidential election time. Voters should keep in mind that the effects of who they elect as the leader of this country will far outlast his or her actual years in office if that president has the opportunity to appoint judges to the Supreme bench.

A caveat- while I mostly agreed with the author's premise, he presumes the reader already shares his viewpoint on the desired
Leroy
Dec 07, 2010 Leroy rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Explains in fairly good detail how many of the apparently inexplicable declines in civil liberties have come about as the direct efforts of the influential conservative justices who have interpreted the Constitution. Chemerinsky also offers recommendations for how to reverse these declines, although in some respects these remedies depend upon the unpredictable results of elections and historical events, both of which can have profound effects on the composition of the Supreme Cou ...more
The Book : An Online Review at The New Republic
The conservative assault on the Constitution began with the election of Richard Nixon, who promised to appoint Supreme Court justices to reverse Warren Court precedents of the previous fifteen years. Under the leadership of Chief Justice Warren, the Court had desegregated schools, strengthened the rights of criminal defendants, advanced the right of privacy, and limited the role of religion in public life. Read more...
Mark
Dec 29, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Chemerinsky argues "there is no such thing as a neutral method of interpreting the Constitution. All justices . . . have to make value choices about the meaning of the Constitution and how it applies to particular cases."
Rachel
Jun 23, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: law
A great rallying cry for liberals (he's really preaching to the choir). Conservatives, it'll make your heads explode.
John Hawkins
Looking forward to read. Pretty easy to notice in these times.
Logan Daugherty
Oct 10, 2014 Logan Daugherty rated it it was amazing
a horrifying yet intriguing expose on the lack of constitutional protection by the right.
Justin
Jan 04, 2011 Justin added it
Another depressing political book, but definitely illuminating. Kinda makes me wish I had applied to go to law school at UCI and take Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law class.
Jamie Weiss
Jan 13, 2011 Jamie Weiss rated it really liked it
Solid update analyzing the Supreme Court's conservative judicial activism of the last 30 years.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Leah Seabrook-Rocha
Leah Seabrook-Rocha rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Jeremy Snider
Jeremy Snider rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Z
Z rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Peter Afrasiabi
Peter Afrasiabi rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
Alek
Alek rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Sadie
Sadie rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Ben L.
Ben L. rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2017
MGordy
MGordy rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution
  • Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1
  • Age of Greed: The Triumph of Finance and the Decline of America, 1970 to the Present
  • Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • A People's History of Poverty in America
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • Typography for Lawyers
  • Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America
  • The Cult of the Presidency: America's Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power
  • Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court
  • Dogfight: The 2012 Presidential Campaign in Verse
  • The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin
  • Ayn Rand Nation: The Hidden Struggle for America's Soul
  • Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations
  • Clarence Darrow: Attorney for the Damned
  • Spying on Democracy: Government Surveillance, Corporate Power, and Public Resistance
  • Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire