Start by marking “Highland Captive” as Want to Read:
Highland Captive

Highland Captive

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,011 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Hannah Howell breathes life into the enchanting beauty of the Scottish Highlands in this epic romance between a strong-willed captor and the striking young woman he both confines and protects. . .

The windswept Scottish Highlands hold great beauty, but also great danger. So when Aimil Mengue is abducted by a feuding clan, she is right to
Published November 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published April 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Captive

Shari Kay
2.25 ✭

This is a reread for me but it's been at least a decade. My main memory is of a girl giving up her virginity for a horse. And though that does happen, it's not the entire story.

Aimil and her brother are taken captive by a rival clan. Parlan, our hero, wants her but doesn't believe in forcing a woman but also doesn't want to take the time to try to seduce our heroine...because you know...she's a virgin and will probably take some work. Plus it's been two whole days since he got his rocks o
JadedlilFecker
For the life of me, I couldn't get into this book. Nothing tangible(I'm a meat& potatoes type of gal), and so utterly, emotionally bereft, I felt more of a connection to the horse, than any of the poorly constructed characters. It all felt very contrived and rushed, and I like time set aside for development.

Sorry, this is not a rant; it's a note to myself.
Naksed
I really enjoyed this highland romance for the first three quarters, mostly because of the shock of having a heroine who was neither a willowy Mary Sue or a TSTL hellion. She was Kick-Ass. A hero in her own right and definitely the star of this show. And the author painted her in a plausible manner as well as authentic to the historical setting. I could actually believe in her as a historical character.

Which brings me to the other reason I liked this so much. The author wrote the characters true
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I enjoyed Aimil and Parlan as individual characters, but as a couple they just didn’t work for me. And while I liked the story, I didn’t love it, which surprised me based on the overall Goodreads ratings. I never felt that deep connection that I like to experience, and even with the crazy fiancé chasing them around, I didn’t really feel the emotional attachment or concerns for them that I should have.

I found the writing style unique, but also difficult to understand due to the heavy usage of the
Brenda (b)
Hannah Howell is one of my favorite authors. Even though her plots can be a bit formulated, I love to read her books. Her characters appeal to me and draw me into the stories time and again. For me, her books are a comfort read. This one was no exception. I enjoyed reading about Aimil and Parlan discovering their love and the evil villian they must overcome. The secondary characters add a lot to the story too. This is a reissue of an older book, orginally titled "Elfking's Lady" (and if you're c ...more
Carolyn F.
This is the same book as Elking's Lady, it was released under a different name in 2008. Love the book. Would totally recommend it. Funny, romantic, suspenseful. Reminds me of early Julie Garland.
Nadine Jones
Aug 09, 2010 Nadine Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This thing reads like someone's outline of a book. Incredibly wooden. I think my 7 year old daughter could write a better story.
Amanda
Feb 25, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Hannah Howell is an amazing romance author. I've enjoyed every historical romance I have read of hers. This one was no exception.
Ms. Howell knows how to write characters. Her heroes are always brave, strong, hunks. While her leading ladies are stubborn and willful women that know their minds.
LJ
ELFKING's LADY - Okay
Howell, Hannah

Among the feuding Scottish clans of the Highlands, tales of Pierce Parlan MacGuin were legendary. So when lovely young Aimil was taken captive while riding the moors, she feared for both her life and her virtue. Parlan's gentle touch soon convinced her she would not be physically harmed, but his wildly thrilling kisses told her that her heart was in grave danger. Parlan had made it clear he meant to possess both Aimil and her magnificent white stallion, Eljking
mad4rombks
Have been in a rereading kind of mood.

Reread May 2012.
Reread June 2014.
Reread January 15, 2016.
Danette Steward
Feb 10, 2010 Danette Steward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: howell-hannah
4.5 rating. I really liked this book. Recommend to those who like Julie Garwood and Monica McCarty highlander books.
Jen.
Jul 03, 2010 Jen. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Hannah Howell, her names on it I read it.

I greatly enjoyed the character Aimil. I loved how fiesty she was, she stood toe-to-toe with her 'captor' and gave right back to him. I loved the sparring that went on between then, several times I thought scenes like those would be great in a movie or a television show.

There were scenes however there made me cringe a little. Aimil had be captured while dressed as a boy, she's of small stature, and her unbelieveably long hair was held under
DKAY
Jan 07, 2010 DKAY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed reading this book as I do any of Hannah Howell's books. I feel that this story is well written and is easily read. The book was previously published as Elfking's Lady.

This story is about the beauty and dangers of the Scottish Highlands. When Aimil Mengue and her brother Leith are abducted by a feuding clan and are held for ransom by the fierce warrior Parlan MacGuin the story unfolds to reveal the true dangers of the Scottish Highlands.

Aimil has a true love for her horse Elfki
April
Jan 18, 2014 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Howell never disappoint and this is another of her books that is going on to my all time favorite.

What I liked:

- I liked that the romance between the couple was not so fast paced that you can't seems to come to term with the affections that they have for each other.
- For once the hero does not fight tooth and nail, like his life depended on him not falling in love. (view spoiler)
Sara Mitchell
Mar 17, 2014 Sara Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aimil Mengue and her brother are taken for ransom by a rival clan the MacGuins. Aimil knows her virtue will have to be surrendered. Parlan MacGuin is a fierce warrior and laird but he soon finds himself enthralled by Aimil. I loved this story and the journey of Parlan's and Aimil's love. I thought Aimil was funny and had a lot of spunk. Parlan was tough on the outside but sweet and caring on the inside. The story was enjoyable from the beginning to the end. Aimil and Parlan faced some seriously ...more
Staci
Jul 10, 2012 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Howell Highlander romance novel. This one is not (at least directly) related to the continuing series about the Murray clan but it is still good. Hits all the Howell/Highlander high points: a strong male, an equally strong(-willed) female, some eminent danger that threatens to tear them apart before they reveal their feelings for each other. It would be interested to read books dealing with some of the other characters as well such as Leith, Artair and Lagan. Given Howell's track re ...more
Aalaa * Ayla * آلاء
Aimil Mengue and her brother are captured by a powerful, rival laird, Parlan MacGuin. She makes a deal with him so that she may keep her horse (an animal she loves very dearly). What does she have to exchange for her horse? Well, sex, naturally lol . That is usually how these books go. Anyway, they end up falling in love but Aimil isn't exactly a free lady, she is engaged to a sinister man who uses torture and fear to get what he wants (and these distasteful means bring him pleasure...)

This was
Linda Walters
Jul 26, 2016 Linda Walters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good story. Really engaging main characters as well as secondary people too.
Several really interesting plots as well as one really deranged villain and his sidekick. The villain might have been mad but it only made him more lethal and cunning.
The romance was well done too, depths to both Parlan and Aimil are seen as time goes on. They were well matched in stubborness and daring. Aimil might be small and delicate looking but like more than one man observed she also was made of pure steel.

Kaila
Mar 25, 2012 Kaila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the cover looks little like "whoa" but actually this was a historical romance.though the book cover is questionable the plot wasn't some dirty or distasteful it was actually, very clean and a nice romance. It was really amazing and very good enjoyable read. I was surprise about the length of the book and it felt strange because any moment I was think the story would end but it didn't. therefore once i reached the end i was completely satisfied. I actually felt bad about judging the cover beca ...more
Diana
Jun 25, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aimil and her brother are captured by the MacGuin clan, where the laird, Parlan, becomes fascinated with his new hostage.

This is a slightly older captor-captive story, so I was worried about old-school issues, but this was actually a very sweet story. Aimil and Parlan get along great, and both are amusing and considerate. The story does suffer with an over-the-top evil villain who is like a horror movie villain who never dies. The pacing was a bit strange, not following a typical format.
Carolyn
Sometimes when I finish the book I brought with me to the laundry room, I have to pick up something off the shelves down there…

The leads are on more of an equal setting here than in many romance novels. I enjoyed Aimil's spirit and Parlan's hotness. Spooky sadomasochistic mystery wrapped up in a romance.
Carolyn
Nov 08, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: howell-hannah
This book is published under another title "Elfking's Lady." I think it is devious and unnecessary to change the title in order to sell more books. I personally adore this author's books and own them all. I'm giving one of my favorite authors the benefit of the doubt and blaming it on the publisher. I simply can't believe that Ms. Howell would condone this practice.
Karen
Apr 03, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scottish romance readers
After reading a few Highland romance tales that were disappointing it was nice to come across one that I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed the characters in this novel and have my fingers crossed that the author has written or will write some romance for some of the background characters.
Definitely worth reading if you enjoy a bit of highland romance.
Carol
Dec 16, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I read many of Hannah's books and enjoy everyone of them. You will love the Hero and heroine in this story. She really knows Highlanders and their era. This is filled with emotions, pride, danger,suspense and hot sexy nights. A great read.Now I'm off to find Highland Sinner. :)
Mumsgang
i love hannah howell books so decided to read others
and chose the wherlokes i was rite in doing this ,the book is really good in both content, characters and story lines well done hannah i cant wait to read the next one
Jamie
Dec 02, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the book two days ago and I find it hard to put it down. Love the story about aimil and parlan. Love Hanna Howell stories. I recommend this book for people who love highland romance stories.
Lady Darcie Guenon
Nov 17, 2008 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: a friends mom
this book was wonderfully interesting. It kept you on your toe the whole way through. Parlan and Aimil were very interesting people, and if i got the chance to meet them i would probably start laughing with the way they act.
Brittany
Nov 08, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it
I read the book not Ebook but there was no option for that. I enjoyed the book however it was by no means my favorite Hannah Howell book. I found it to be a bit to wordy and drawn out but that could of been due to my surrounding.
Mia
Oct 02, 2014 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Hannah Howell and I enjoyed it alot, it captured me right from the start and I really enjoyed her writing style, my only complaint was that it got a little bogged down at the end so I started skipping a little bit. That said it was still an enjoyable read.
Tams
Jul 08, 2008 Tams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great one from Hannah Howell. I absolutley adore her. She is one of my most favorite authors of all time. I really identified with Aimil. And even though some of the story was predictable, I still enjoyed it a lot.
  • Highland Hearts
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Always
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...