Deirdre

Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A Saxon pirate prince, loyal to neither God nor country, is skeptical of his Christian mother's predictions about his birthright... until he captures a devout princess with the key to both heavenly and earthly kingdoms. What his mother said about his true birthright seems possible after all, even when his newfound faith is battered by storms of betrayal that wash him and h...more
Published August 11th 2010 by Multnomah Books (first published March 1st 2002)

Dawn
While this one isn't my favorite of this series (that belongs to the first book), it is still an engaging read. I can't say that I really adore the characters either. But the fight for Christianity in the early centuries of Ireland was well done. It's still a book I don't mind rereading when the mood fits me, and that was the case this time. I love how Alric changes once he comes to know Christ as his Savior.

Anyway, it's still a good read, rich in historical details. I recommend it to anyone who...more
April
Windsor writes a beautiful, adventurous & captivating conclusion to The Fires of Gleannmara series! This story and it's characters had me eagerly devouring the pages, and staying up way too late last night to do so!

Our hero and heroine encounter many hardships and assaults, the likes of which surely try ones faith. The question is will you trust Him in all circumstances? Is God truly your Refuge, Hope and Shield? These are things that will be played out in the story, along with several othe...more
Rebecca
"Deirdre" is the third book in the "Fires of Gleannmara" series and a book I highly recommend. The story starts off with Deirdre sailing to Albion with ransom money to try to save her abducted brother. Of course along the way things don't really go as planned as her ship is captured by Saxon pirates. Deirdre is given the ultimate challenge to 'love thine enemy' though she would love nothing more than to run him threw with a sword.
This is the first book I ever read by Linda Windsor. She has the...more
Jeni Enjaian
I remember being slightly disappointed with this book the first time around. After absolutely falling in love with the second book in the series, this one would have had to have been pretty spectacular for me not to rank it lower than the second. I never really got into the story or developed any affinity for the characters.
Unlike the previous two books, the miracles in this book stank of deus ex machina. They really did not make sense either. Alric's conversion felt a little too forced even tho...more
Margaret
This book was mostly fabulous. The last few chapters were not quite wonderful, but the rest of the book was really enjoyable. I literally was giggling at some points and even gasped at others. This is the third in a series and where the first book was great, and the second was not so thrilling this one was a very adventurous and pleasant read. It even has a twinge of remembrance to Bride Most Begrudging that I found humorous and fun. Deirdre, Princess of Gleannmara is a wonderful woman of God a...more
Rachel
Of the trilogy, this one was my favorite. Unlike the first two, it grabbed my interest immediately. It is written very well, and I really enjoyed the character development in this historical Christian novel set in old Ireland.
LizetteMonet
I enjoyed this book. It was the very first book in the series that I read, and I liked it SO much that I wanted to read Mair and Riona.

I read this around 15 years old. I tried reading it now without rolling my eyes, and I couldn't. Lol. The writing is gorgeous and really captures the time and space of Ireland. The story telling was right on, but my tastes has changed over the years and its kinda hard for me to get into these romantic fairy-tale type books. I recommend it though, for anyone whos...more
Karijean31
I am done with the triology finally. I like her books because at the beginning the male character is heathen and disbelieving of God and by the end of the book, the character has taken a journey of growing and changing and is believing of God. The journey's were a lot of fun and of course that journey is taken with "their love" and the women are all beautiful and wonderful. I'm so cheesy. I can't get enough of that kind of stuff...plus no swearing. Love it!
Susan Snodgrass
Linda Windsor is an awesome writer and I've read this book twice. Once years ago and now again. She tells the story very well of Dierdre, a woman in the 7th century who is used mightily of God.
Andrea
This was my favorite of the trilogy. I liked the heroine and the premise of the story. Linda Windsor writes such entertaining stories. I would read this one again!
Kirsi Johnson
This is the third installment in Linda Windsor's Christian Romantic Trilogy. I also read this one twice, though I think it was my least favorite of the three.
Jessica
So far so good :) This series is a really good one!
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 17, 2014
Jaimie Waldner
Jaimie Waldner is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nicky Valenzuela
Nicky Valenzuela marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Joelle
Joelle marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Andrea O'dell
Andrea O'dell marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Melody Phillips
Melody Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Pamela Clampet
Pamela Clampet marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
  • The Mark of Salvation (Scottish Crown, #3)
  • The Velvet Shadow (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #3)
  • Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Higland #1)
  • A Prisoner of Versailles (Darkness to Light, #2)
  • Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1)
  • Brigid of Ireland
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • The Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles, #2)
Linda Windsor is the best-selling, award-winning author of more than thirty novels, with more than a million books in print. Her most recent work includes Healer and Thief, the first two volumes in the Brides of Alba series, and the early Irish Celtic Fires of Gleannmara trilogy.
More about Linda Windsor...
Maire (Fires of Gleannmara, #1) Healer (The Brides of Alba #1) It Had to Be You Riona (Fires of Gleannmara #2) Along Came Jones