Start by marking “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius” as Want to Read:
Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  683 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Here is a handsome edition of one of Borges' "ficciones," in a translation first published in "Labyrinths" in 1962. It's an important story in the Borges' canon, incorporating most of the author's philosophical and esthetic preoccupations in a typically brief compass. With great solemnity and a convincing array of scholarly detail (including annotated references to imagina ...more
Published October 15th 1982 by Porcupine's Quill (first published January 1st 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

Cecily
I have the Collected Fictions (with copious translator's notes), but am splitting my review of that into its components, in publication order: Collected Fictions - all reviews. This is the longest story in The Garden of Forking Paths, and deservedly so, published in 1941.

This is very post-modern, meta, or whatever such term you like, with references to Spinoza and Russell. It’s a first-person narration, mentioning real people, telling of a presumably fictitious group of people who plant clues ab
Talieh
Dec 31, 2015 Talieh rated it it was amazing
بهترین داستان کوتاهی که تا حالا خوندم...

توانایی خلق یک دنیا، چیزیه که فقط تو نویسنده ها وجود داره. اونم نه توی همشون، نود درصد نویسنده هایی که برای خلق یک دنیای کاملا جدید تلاش می کنن با شکست روبرو میشن. اما این داستان... این دنیا... بیشتر از یه رمان هزار صفحه ای حرف توش هست. داستانی که نویسنده برای تک تک کلماتش باید ساعت ها فکر کرده باشه. و با توجه به آگنوسیست بودن بورخس، حتی نمیتونیم مطمئن باشیم که این دنیا واقعا وجود نداره! کما این که خود بورخس هم مطمئن نبوده قطعا.

کم تر داستان کوتاهی رو دیدم
Ellie
Aug 08, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing
How do you not love a story which states that "any book not containing its counterbook is incomplete" or describes a reality that recedes-and "longs to" recede" from reality?

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Jorge Luis Borges is a story that baffled, frustrated, intrigued, and ultimately enchanted me. The discovery of an imaginary world whose language consists of verbs and in which there is no past or future excites the imagination. The dry tone in which the fantastic ideas are elaborated lend humor
Denz
Nov 12, 2015 Denz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
В предполагаемия Ursprache на Тльон, от който са произлезли „днешните“ езици и диалектите, няма съществителни: има безлични глаголи, пояснявани от едносрични наставки (или представки) с адвербално значение. Например няма дума, съответстваща на думата „луна“, но има глагол, който може да се преведе като „лунва се“ или „залунява“. „Луната изгря над реката“ се казва „Хльор у фанг аксаксаксас мльо“ или буквално: „Нагоре зад постоянно-тече-то залуня“. (Ксул-Солар го превежда по-сбито: „Горе зад всете ...more
Erik Erickson
Jul 24, 2011 Erik Erickson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wow. This is so short but packed so densely with allegory and competing philosophic ideas. Borges masterfully mixes reality and fiction into rich layers. I'd strongly recommend visiting Wikipedia's entry after your first read.
Mateo R.
Intertextualidad:

Menciones directas:
* Encyclopædia Britannica, de Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
* Die Erdkunde im Verhältnis zur Natur und Geschichte des Menschen, de Carl Ritter.
* The Analysis of Mind, de Bertrand Russell.
* Aporías, de Zenón de Elea.
* Parerga und Paralipomena, de Arthur Schopenhauer.
* Philosophie des Als Ob, de Hans Vaihinger.
* Dào Dé Jing, de Laozi.
* Las mil y una noches, anónimo.
* Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial, or, a Discourse of the Sepulchral Urns lately found in Norfolk, de Thom
Marion Hall
Apr 17, 2013 Marion Hall rated it really liked it
This has to be the shortest book ever, where reality and fiction are so confused that it is difficult to tell which is which. It is packed with philosophical ideas - it needs to be read more than once. I hate to admit this, but I needed Wikipedia to help me understand which characters were real and which weren't.
Lien
Mar 30, 2014 Lien rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice read/ thinking excercise. It makes you think about what you say, and why you say it; the meaning of words, that (what one would call 'meaning') which an individual attributes to them and that which society attributes to them, as well as the correlation between the two.

The story seems to be written from the viewpoint of an outsider looking in, perhaps an auctorial narrator with a degree in anthropology, sociology and linguistics. It is philosophical, and quite heavy at that, b
Dubravka
Jul 18, 2013 Dubravka rated it did not like it
Shelves: ibero-american
I haven't read this one. That is to say, I have read it before, but I haven't finished reading it today. Yet. Still, I have this inexplicable urge to say I didn't like it. I'm still not finished, but I DIDN'T like it. And in about half an hour, I'm going to finish it and I'm going to say I didn't like it. No matter how I feel about it, I'm going to say I did't like it.

And I'm wondering...isn't that funny? Isn't it great that I'm allowed to do just that! And isn't it even better that...later...or
Farrah
Nov 26, 2015 Farrah rated it it was amazing
A made up planet? Yes please. Borges is the ultimate example of an author's ability to spiral fiction and reality. I guess that's why it's called a Borgesian literary device, imparting a feeling of reality to the fictional and the unreal to the real.

I loved all the details in this, and the attention to language, memories, time, and emotions...they're all different in this made up world of Tlon. But so real.
The finding of Judith Shakespeare
Sublimación de la distopía, la teoría literaria, y la ficción fantástica. Cuántas frases memorables, imaginaciones sugerentes, trampantojos de prestidigitador experimentado, porque Borges es un titiritero avezado de las estructuras del cuento literario. Para enamorarse de la literatura y desearla hasta la creación, solo hay que leer a Borges.
Mary Dykas
Oct 28, 2014 Mary Dykas rated it did not like it
Recommendation: Read the Wikipedia first, drop some acid, then attempt this story. This is a bit much for my pedestrian tastes. His other stories are more accessible than this one (at least for me).
Carlos
Jul 16, 2014 Carlos rated it it was amazing
Impecable, como siempre, la construcción de esta ficción "fidedigna" y absolutamente "verosímil"; un genio, ese Borges
Dmitry Butsenets
Dec 10, 2015 Dmitry Butsenets rated it really liked it
Можно конечно мозг себе поломать о Борхеса. Но оно того стоило.
В конечном итоге все, под весом чьей-то идеей, рискует однажды превратиться в (тут главное совершенно-несовершенная упорядоченность) Тлен.
Christopher Garcia
Jan 05, 2016 Christopher Garcia rated it it was amazing
While we sleep here, we are awake somewhere else.
Gabriela Jimenez
Aug 13, 2015 Gabriela Jimenez rated it really liked it
Bastante interesante.
Andy Anaya
Apr 03, 2015 Andy Anaya rated it liked it
DENSE and chewy. A must-read.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
8,5/10
Sukanya Parashar
Sep 13, 2015 Sukanya Parashar rated it really liked it
This short read is too confusing ( I could say mind fuck at times ) that I had to read it twice to draw any conclusions ( chances are I may read it again ).

It has manifold levels of philosophical ideas and subtleties that you just couldn't guess what is real and what's not. It makes you think and challenge everything around. So if you are interested in such thinking exercises just go for it.
Cris
Mar 13, 2012 Cris rated it it was amazing
Dr. Michael Delahoyde from the Washington State University wrote about this text: "Philology here takes on the fascination and energy of detective work.". It does and it's so great. I really loved every single word (even though I think I should read it one more time, so things are still confused in my head :))
Brian
Jun 23, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing
I read an online version of this text, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is in fact a subtle but intoxicating work--I still remember almost every passage, and can recall every detail of the story, even after many years.
Sugarplum Fairy
Jul 01, 2013 Sugarplum Fairy rated it it was amazing
the best thing I've ever read in my whole life. there are no words to describe it, and the many levels of reading it can have.
Yael
May 27, 2013 Yael rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing! A brave new world, yes there are other possibilities for our parallel universes.
Zoe
Nov 12, 2011 Zoe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best
John Robinson
Jul 04, 2013 John Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Borges at his best. Up there with The Garden of Forking Paths.
Daniel
Feb 06, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
this is ill.
Hriday
Apr 30, 2012 Hriday rated it it was amazing
MIND FUCK!!!!!
Robinson Fang
Robinson Fang rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
On Paths Unknown: Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius - with spoilers 110 43 Jan 19, 2016 01:32AM
  • Viaje a la semilla
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting
  • The Malcontent
  • El astillero
  • Gokinjo Monogatari, Vol. 4 (Gokinjo Monogatari, #4)
  • Tropical Night Falling
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes], Russian: Хорхе Луис Борхес) was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also worked as a libra ...more
More about Jorge Luis Borges...

“Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men...” 9 likes
“The metaphysicians of Tlön are not looking for truth, nor even for an approximation of it; they are after a kind of amazement.” 4 likes