Start by marking “Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East” as Want to Read:
Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East

Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East ( Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East #1-6)

In 1924 Spalding published the first volume of Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East. It describes the travels to India and Tibet of a research party of eleven scientists in 1894. During their trip they claim to have made contact with "the Great Masters of the Himalayas", immortal beings with whom they lived and studied, gaining a fascinating insight into their ...more
Published June 1st 1986 by Devorss & Co. (first published January 1st 182)

To ask other readers questions about Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Brenda
Mar 15, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-classics
These books changed my life. There has been much debate about the veracity of the material--I don't care. I really needed this material to stretch my mind to believe--if even in a brief moment of escape--in the possibility of there being more, so much more to our existence and our ability to create/shift/alter our way of being.

I find that I still need to examine just what level of power and mastery in life I think/believe I can attain.

I may need to sit myself down and revisit these books again
C.J. Prince
Feb 14, 2009 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing
I picked up a brown hard back book at the metaphysical bookstore in Mentone, California in 1967. Sitting under the pyramid, I read a few pages and then bought the first book. I eventually read all of them. These books influenced my spiritual path and guided me into explorations of many truths I had not previously known. This is an esoteric must-read.
Scott
Sep 27, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a time not so long ago that I wouldn't have considered picking up a book like this, and if I had I would have scoffed and tossed it aside with the smug superiority of an atheist. Thankfully, my mind has opened somewhat, and although I still simmer with cynicism and caution when it comes to spiritual matters, my heart, guts and mind connected with this volume in a profound way. The philosophical content simply reaffirmed my own recent personal experience, encouraged my open-heartedness ...more
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Mar 17, 2015 Nguyên ngộ ngộ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laws
Nếu một cuốn sách hay là cuốn mang tới cho mình nhiều CÂU HỎI hoàn toàn mới, thì mình cho rằng đây là một cuốn sách rất hay.
Nó mang tới hàng loạt câu hỏi mà mình chưa từng nghĩ tới.

1) Liệu có các chân sư vĩ đại sống cả 500 tuổi nhưng nhìn họ trẻ như người 40 tuổi?
2) Vì sao các chân sư không lộ diện mà sống ở những nơi bí ẩn?
3) Liệu có cuộc sống sau khi chết?
4) Liệu con người có dám tin vào những khả năng đặc biệt như phép màu: đi trên nước, thần giao cách cảm, biến ra thức ăn... mà các chân sư t
Kate
Jul 18, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, Spiritual Seekers
Recommended to Kate by: Bruce London, Ph D (Divinity)
This is a 6 volume set on Baird T. Spalding's experience of traveling to the far East to experience numerous "spiritual experiences" which he recorded with a group of fellow expeditioners and brought back to the West in these volumes.

Books 1 and 3 are very instructive on how to apply the teachings of the "ascended masters" which our modern day monotheistic religions are basing their often misguided dogmatic, law-producing theology on. These volumes provide the teachings AND their applications f
Hermesatar Trismegistus
Dec 14, 2009 Hermesatar Trismegistus rated it it was amazing
This 6 Volume Set are the best spiritual books ever written. Volume 1-3 is about man search for his greatest potential - What man in his true estate can do. Volume 4-6 are additional ideas without any story. One should remember that Spalding was never to introduce a new religion and that his volumes, at best are variations of the same idea.

The Masters look upon each human through the eye of love, as perfect, free of sin, immortal, eternal young and beautiful. Ready to do the wonderful works of G
Nancy Rector
Jul 25, 2009 Nancy Rector rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most profound scientific "studies" ever embared upon. It is a true story about a group of scientists in the 40's who started out on a journey to find all the religious masters in the world. Their goal was to prove that religion is based on false ideas and concepts. They found something else entirely that was beyond their widest imaginations. An incredible read.
Huy Nguyen
Jun 18, 2014 Huy Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Quyển sách này đã mở toang cánh cửa để người đọc bước vào thế giới tâm linh huyền bí nhưng lại vô cùng lôi cuốn với những triết lý sâu sắc của Phật giáo và khả năng vô tận của con người.
Doan
Jul 14, 2013 Doan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended by my mom.
Thao Lexy
Apr 17, 2012 Thao Lexy rated it liked it
Đây là một cuốn sách không hấp hẫn bởi tính ly kỳ mà hấp dẫn bởi tính thông tin và giáo dục về đạo làm người. Mỗi lời giảng giải của các vị Chân sư cho độc giả hiểu về văn hóa và những nghi lễ tôn giáo phương Đông, thấy được phần nào đời sống của những con người ở Ấn Độ và hậu quả của sự phát triển không đúng hướng của tôn giáo, đặc biệt là do những tín đồ không thành tâm. Cuốn sách dạy chúng ta phải biết sống thanh tịnh, không tham lam, ích kỷ. Tuy nhiên, nội dung sách còn mang tính thiên vị ca ...more
Milan
Feb 17, 2015 Milan rated it it was amazing
Amazing insights into the nature of Life, Man & the Universe. A wealth of knowledge, information. There are pieces of various texts that have become part of my daily staple of meditative and prayer practice.

I have read and re-read all six volumes Notes, stickies, dog-eared, and sections copied into word documents.

I love love love these volumes and find them to be immensely practical and useful in daily life.

Thank you Mr. Spaulding for your gift of adventure and for the blowing of mind.

Truly,
Terra
Jan 21, 2008 Terra rated it it was amazing
For those who seek the answers that seem just out of your reach...

I have heard mixed reviews from my friends who have read these books. It is definatly a series that requires an open mind and a never ending desire to discover the many truths in life. Some people have felt that Spalding is simply telling stories, others obvious truth. You decide!

Just a warning, though. These are loaded books adn are not the easiest of reads at times. I recommend reading them on the trail or in the out of doors. F
Jeff Loxterkamp
Aug 14, 2012 Jeff Loxterkamp rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jeff by: Rabbi of Iowa City
Fascinating account of Baird T. Spalding's alleged trip to the Far East, specifically, Tibet and the Himalayas. There is much to question about the authenticity of these volumes, but is fascinating reading. A few instances I can remember: Spalding and his caravan saved from maraudung bandits by spectors of Jesus Christ, Pontius Pilot and a few other luminaries on horseback. Gurus vibrating through walls. Tibeten monks levetating several hundred feet up sheer cliffs. I was enthralled the whole ti ...more
Pat
Aug 06, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it
It has taken me months to get through all six books in this set. The first three were mostly the stories about how they were in touch with the Masters and their trip to see the Masters. This part was fascinating, although pretty far out. Book four and five were instructions how to use the methods of the Masters and the final book was about Baird T. Spalding himself. Worth the read, but not for a re-read. If you don't understand it the first time then you will not get it the second time ..
Dan Keating
I have read this book several times. After the first reading it is a book to study from time to time. It was the book series that started my spiritual quest. The book looks at the people we call masters but they are not quick to use those descriptions including Jesus who shows up in many of the books of this series. If you are looking for spiritual information from many different angles this is a series that will broaden your mind set.
Gregory
Sep 30, 2012 Gregory rated it it was amazing
RE reading this, This is a must read for those who wish to understand, language/symbols. Thank You Mr. Spaulding
Karen
Feb 07, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a slow read, but I am so inspired. Beautiful teachings and powerful.
Lan Tô Thị Hoàng
Theo giới thiệu của sách:
" Hành Trình Về Phương Đông kể về những trải nghiệm của một đoàn khoa học gồm các chuyên gia hàng đầu của Hội Khoa Học Hoàng Gia Anh được cử sang Ấn Độ nghiên cứu về huyền học và những khả năng siêu nhiên của con người. Suốt hai năm trời rong ruổi khắp các đền chùa Ấn Độ, chúng kiến nhiều pháp luật, nhiều cảnh mê tín dị đoan, thậm chí lừa đảo...của nhiều pháp sư, đạo sĩ...họ được tiếp xúc với những vị thế, họ được chứng kiến, trải nghiệm, hiểu biết sâu sắc về các khoa h
Lan Anh
Jan 06, 2017 Lan Anh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kẻ nào quan niệm sự tiến hóa một cách rõ ràng chính xác sẽ ý thức được quyền lợi và hạnh phúc của mình. Muốn trở nên một bậc toàn thiện, ta phải có đức hạnh và sự can đảm. Người nào muốn cải thiện xã hội phải biết cải thiện mình trước đã".
Trước đây mình là một đứa cực kì duy vật và không hề tin một chút gì về tâm linh đến khi chính mình trải qua một cảm giác về tâm linh và bắt đầu tìm đến với thiền và đọc những sách như thế này. Điều đọng sau khi đọc cuốn sách là cuộc sống có rất nhiều điều huy
Sevily (Hảo) Nguyen
Lại là một cuốn sách ngốn mà ngẫm trong một ngày! Quá hay để có thể ngừng đọc. Hành trình về phương Đông đưa đến những khái niệm cơ bản nhất của những bước đầu tiên trên con đường tìm lại chính mình. Mỗi một trang sách là một cuộc khai sáng, khiến người đọc phải ồ, à, kinh ngạc bởi những điều mà khoa học thực nghiệm vẫn chưa thể lý giải được, nhưng vẫn đầy tính logic. Sách đặc biệt phù hợp cho những ai được sinh ra và nuôi dạy trong môi trường thuần về khoa học, và bây giờ thì dẹp bỏ mọi thành k ...more
Kelly
Jun 25, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I really liked Volume 1 of this book, which I finished on July 15, 2013. This is not the edition I read, and I have since found the separate volumes here on Good Reads. I've just started reading Volume 2, and expect to like it as well. Spalding is credited with being one of the first people to help bring Eastern thought to the West. The Masters talk about Jesus and Christianity in order to make their message more easily understood to those of us with a Christian background. The basic belief is i ...more
Nedra Sproul
Jul 14, 2013 Nedra Sproul rated it liked it
I hesitate to write a review. I read this book for a friend. It contains many laws of truth. But from my point of view, it negates the divinity of Christ and my dependency of Him and the Father's plan for the mortality of man. It was an interesting look at the teachings of Buddha and eastern thought, but I felt the author's seductive way of using Christianity itself to reduce its teachings to the ignorance of man. Not so in my book.
Chris
Feb 13, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Something I liked most about this series of books was that I could read a good book one metaphysics, the nature of love, life and living, as well as reading it like a good fantasy book. My only hesitation on really loving the book was that although the long speeches in each chapter were really engrossing and enlightening it did get a bit tiresome as well.
Francine Chodorov,
Feb 02, 2009 Francine Chodorov, rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful view into the mysteries of life and reveals the possibilities man has to grow and develop, and to reconnect to the divine. The first 3 volumes detail the journey of Baird Spalding, together with colleagues, that he made with the masters through the Himalayes in the 1890s. A truly amazing story, and it increases in meaning and depth with time.
John Harrigan
Jul 14, 2015 John Harrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I read this book series many times in my youth. My mother passed it on to me. After decades long human potential quest, this remains a classic. Today, I am a Qi Gong Master and author. All truths converge and say the same thing. Wise men and women of the ages have but one thing to say. This book says it well.
Lorraine
Dec 27, 2009 Lorraine rated it liked it
I don't know what to believe in this book having no reference to the author or the people of whom he writes. I understand that these powers exist. I am wondering why we don't hear more about them.
It is a very spiritual, religious set of writing. Have any of you read this?
Cynthia Langston
Feb 22, 2013 Cynthia Langston rated it really liked it
In my early 20's, I read the entire series in less than a week. The information was as rich as the story telling. I thought I was reading a memoir, but I was surprised to discover I had been reading fiction. )-:
Jean
Jan 06, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
If this isn't fiction than I want to go to where Spalding went to meet these extraordinary people. I have tried to research some of these claims and came up with nothing. Never the less the philosophy provided in this book is a good read.
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysical
this series of books are an amazing ride. so interesting, so enlightening. you MUST read them!
Abdou N.
Yet to finish the whole series, but reading the first few volumes, I'd say this is the deepest book I've read and has a lot of insight. Overall Its a good read
  • Ramtha: The White Book
  • Spirit Allies: Meet Your Team from the Other Side
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Goddess: Myths of the Female Divine
  • Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • POWER MUDRAS  Yoga Hand Postures for Women - New Edition

Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East (9 books)
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol 1
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 2
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 3
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 4
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 5
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 6
  • Leben Und Lehren Der Meister Im Fernen Osten, Bd.1 3, Bericht Eines Eingeweihten über Das Wunderwirken Des Avatars, 3 Tle. In 1 Bd
  • Leben und Lehren der Meister im Fernen Osten, Bd.4/5, Unterweisungen; Indische Reisebriefe