Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East

Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In 1924 Spalding published the first volume of Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East. It describes the travels to India and Tibet of a research party of eleven scientists in 1894. During their trip they claim to have made contact with "the Great Masters of the Himalayas", immortal beings with whom they lived and studied, gaining a fascinating insight into their...more
Published November 25th 1999 by DeVorss & Company (first published January 1st 182)

Kate
Jul 18, 2009 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, Spiritual Seekers
Recommended to Kate by: Bruce London, Ph D (Divinity)
This is a 6 volume set on Baird T. Spalding's experience of traveling to the far East to experience numerous "spiritual experiences" which he recorded with a group of fellow expeditioners and brought back to the West in these volumes.

Books 1 and 3 are very instructive on how to apply the teachings of the "ascended masters" which our modern day monotheistic religions are basing their often misguided dogmatic, law-producing theology on. These volumes provide the teachings AND their applications f...more
Nancy Rector
This has to be one of the most profound scientific "studies" ever embared upon. It is a true story about a group of scientists in the 40's who started out on a journey to find all the religious masters in the world. Their goal was to prove that religion is based on false ideas and concepts. They found something else entirely that was beyond their widest imaginations. An incredible read.
C.J. Prince
I picked up a brown hard back book at the metaphysical bookstore in Mentone, California in 1967. Sitting under the pyramid, I read a few pages and then bought the first book. I eventually read all of them. These books influenced my spiritual path and guided me into explorations of many truths I had not previously known. This is an esoteric must-read.
Kemmutchutchut
Đây là một cuốn sách không hấp hẫn bởi tính ly kỳ mà hấp dẫn bởi tính thông tin và giáo dục về đạo làm người. Mỗi lời giảng giải của các vị Chân sư cho độc giả hiểu về văn hóa và những nghi lễ tôn giáo phương Đông, thấy được phần nào đời sống của những con người ở Ấn Độ và hậu quả của sự phát triển không đúng hướng của tôn giáo, đặc biệt là do những tín đồ không thành tâm. Cuốn sách dạy chúng ta phải biết sống thanh tịnh, không tham lam, ích kỷ. Tuy nhiên, nội dung sách còn mang tính thiên vị ca...more
Pat
It has taken me months to get through all six books in this set. The first three were mostly the stories about how they were in touch with the Masters and their trip to see the Masters. This part was fascinating, although pretty far out. Book four and five were instructions how to use the methods of the Masters and the final book was about Baird T. Spalding himself. Worth the read, but not for a re-read. If you don't understand it the first time then you will not get it the second time ..
Dan Keating
I have read this book several times. After the first reading it is a book to study from time to time. It was the book series that started my spiritual quest. The book looks at the people we call masters but they are not quick to use those descriptions including Jesus who shows up in many of the books of this series. If you are looking for spiritual information from many different angles this is a series that will broaden your mind set.
Gregory
RE reading this, This is a must read for those who wish to understand, language/symbols. Thank You Mr. Spaulding
Hermesatar Trismegistus
This 6 Volume Set are the best spiritual books ever written. Volume 1-3 is about man search for his greatest potential - What man in his true estate can do. Volume 4-6 are additional ideas without any story. One should remember that Spalding was never to introduce a new religion and that his volumes, at best are variations of the same idea.

The Masters look upon each human through the eye of love, as perfect, free of sin, immortal, eternal young and beautiful. Ready to do the wonderful works of G...more
Huy Nguyen
Quyển sách này đã mở toang cánh cửa để người đọc bước vào thế giới tâm linh huyền bí nhưng lại vô cùng lôi cuốn với những triết lý sâu sắc của Phật giáo và khả năng vô tận của con người.
Terra
For those who seek the answers that seem just out of your reach...

I have heard mixed reviews from my friends who have read these books. It is definatly a series that requires an open mind and a never ending desire to discover the many truths in life. Some people have felt that Spalding is simply telling stories, others obvious truth. You decide!

Just a warning, though. These are loaded books adn are not the easiest of reads at times. I recommend reading them on the trail or in the out of doors. F...more
Kelly
I really liked Volume 1 of this book, which I finished on July 15, 2013. This is not the edition I read, and I have since found the separate volumes here on Good Reads. I've just started reading Volume 2, and expect to like it as well. Spalding is credited with being one of the first people to help bring Eastern thought to the West. The Masters talk about Jesus and Christianity in order to make their message more easily understood to those of us with a Christian background. The basic belief is i...more
Brenda
These books changed my life. There has been much debate about the veracity of the material--I don't care. I really needed this material to stretch my mind to believe--if even in a brief moment of escape--in the possibility of there being more, so much more to our existence and our ability to create/shift/alter our way of being.

I find that I still need to examine just what level of power and mastery in life I think/believe I can attain.

I may need to sit myself down and revisit these books again...more
Nedra Sproul
I hesitate to write a review. I read this book for a friend. It contains many laws of truth. But from my point of view, it negates the divinity of Christ and my dependency of Him and the Father's plan for the mortality of man. It was an interesting look at the teachings of Buddha and eastern thought, but I felt the author's seductive way of using Christianity itself to reduce its teachings to the ignorance of man. Not so in my book.
Francine Chodorov,
This is a wonderful view into the mysteries of life and reveals the possibilities man has to grow and develop, and to reconnect to the divine. The first 3 volumes detail the journey of Baird Spalding, together with colleagues, that he made with the masters through the Himalayes in the 1890s. A truly amazing story, and it increases in meaning and depth with time.
Chris
Something I liked most about this series of books was that I could read a good book one metaphysics, the nature of love, life and living, as well as reading it like a good fantasy book. My only hesitation on really loving the book was that although the long speeches in each chapter were really engrossing and enlightening it did get a bit tiresome as well.
Lorraine
I don't know what to believe in this book having no reference to the author or the people of whom he writes. I understand that these powers exist. I am wondering why we don't hear more about them.
It is a very spiritual, religious set of writing. Have any of you read this?
Cynthia Langston
In my early 20's, I read the entire series in less than a week. The information was as rich as the story telling. I thought I was reading a memoir, but I was surprised to discover I had been reading fiction. )-:
Abdou N.
Yet to finish the whole series, but reading the first few volumes, I'd say this is the deepest book I've read and has a lot of insight. Overall Its a good read
Elizabeth
this series of books are an amazing ride. so interesting, so enlightening. you MUST read them!
Austin
This whole series is amazing. Changes your mind about what man is truly capable of becoming.
Bobbit
Jan 21, 2012 Bobbit added it
These are an awesome set of books, that broaden anyone's spiritual quest.
Ngoc Tan
It's a great book. I had found the path to enlightment and get a happy life after read this book.
Jeff Loxterkamp
Aug 14, 2012 Jeff Loxterkamp rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jeff by: Rabbi of Iowa City
Fascinating account of Baird T. Spalding's alleged trip to the Far East, specifically, Tibet and the Himalayas. There is much to question about the authenticity of these volumes, but is fascinating reading. A few instances I can remember: Spalding and his caravan saved from maraudung bandits by spectors of Jesus Christ, Pontius Pilot and a few other luminaries on horseback. Gurus vibrating through walls. Tibeten monks levetating several hundred feet up sheer cliffs. I was enthralled the whole ti...more
Kiran Paul
This was a weird book. I respect the author and what he felt. The book was amusing at times but it did feel like his experiences were constructed within his own pre-defined mindset
Danielle Van oostrom
No Thinking...
Impossible 4 the mind to Understand...
Nevertheless I read this book with the "I" z of my SeouL And I felt a Profound Truth Resonating Through my wh A11 Le BodY :-) <3 <3 <3 <3 :-)
Hassan Issa
A very detailed expose' of the life and teachings of the Sages and Master's of the Far East by a layman(albeit archeologist), who saw wonders and discovered secrets he did not expect at that time.
Daniel
These books hold some wonderful esoteric knowledge! Very inspirational, highly
recommended
Quynh Loan
Interesting one. I have a lot more respect to India thanks to this book. Really worth reading.
Chris Youngblood
One of my favorite book(s).. This collection is extremely inspiring..
Hanif
omidvaram ke roozi betunam jahaii ro ke tu ooon ketab neveshte bebinam
  • Initiation
  • The Hidden Words
  • The Convoluted Universe: Book One
  • Discover the Power Within You: A Guide to the Unexplored Depths Within
  • Journeys Out of the Body
  • Zanoni: A Rosicrucian Tale
  • There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections (Impacts)
  • God Is a Verb
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • Home with God: In a Life That Never Ends
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies
  • Man's Eternal Quest: The Collected Talks and Essays: 1 (Collected Talks & Essays)
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human
Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 2 Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 3 Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol. 4 Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East, Vol 1