Start by marking “Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Rudyard Kipling is one of the finest writers of fantasy in the last one hundred years."-Ray Bradbury

"Kipling has seen a perfect Odyssey of strange experiences."-Andrew Lang

This volume collects many of the Nobel Prize-winning writer's fantastical pieces ranging from traditional ghost stories to works of psychological horror.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) was born in Bombay, I
Published August 12th 2010 by Fall River Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHeart-Shaped Box by Joe HillGhost Story by Peter Straub
Ghost Stories
239th out of 800 books — 1,317 voters

More lists with this book...

J.G. Keely
Kipling's is one of those imaginations which, slipping here and there, seems to plant the seeds for numerous books and genres yet to be devised. He writes to pique, slowly twisting out his stories and drawing the reader along unexpected and unrecognized roads. Each tale might set the mind on a new and unusual tack, and hence, more than anything, Kipling is an author for authors: an author whose imagination is contagious.

His stories always center around the foreign mystery of his native-born Indi
Nicki Markus
I found it hard to get into this book. To be fair, I've found Kipling a bit heavy going in the past - there's just something about his writing style that puts me off - but when I saw this book of his short stories, I felt it was time to give him a second chance.

Certainly a few of the stories caught my interest and held it, but for the most part I found them too verbose to ever be really chilling. The ideas were there, including a delightful mix of commentary on and borrowing from Indian culture,
Michael
I've been reading this book rather slowly. I read a couple of short stories now and then in between other novels. Some of the stories are quite good. "Vampire" is a poem that I have in another collection. No this is not about the supernatural vampire but rather a poem about a man's unrequited love for a woman who did not seem to notice his devotion to her. "Even as you and I" as the line states several times. I feel we may all relate this poem as most of us have been on one side or the other (or ...more
M Christopher
This book took me a while to read for several reasons. For one thing, at the time I started it, I was also working through the massive "Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years." I almost always have 2 or three books going at once so I can switch off depending on my mood and concentration level. Also, my Sabbatical ended while I was working on this volume, which meant I had far less time to read. Most importantly though, and what kept me from giving this collection 5 stars, is that it starts ...more
Amy
I'm sorry to admit that I had never read anything of Rudyard Kipling before this book, except for the occasional poem. He's an amazing writer, I ought to read more.

This is not one of his children's books. The stories are decidedly creepy, but several of them have that British dry humor to go along with it. The introduction by Neil Gaiman (a current, well-regarded fantasy and horror author) mentions that Rudyard Kipling has fallen out of favor because of some of his political views. I found the "
Finergrind
I wish I had read this prior to working in India. India continues to be a mystery to me... Is it a chrome edged, high tech Goliath, or a gilded mandala reflecting the past? Each time I visit India I'm left wanting to know more about. I've read most of Kipling's more popular works, but I'm surprised by his chilling tales of India. I doubt there is a more eerie setting than the countryside of India, and the caste system there provides an opportunity for sufficient horror to be visited on the good, ...more
Slytheringirl
This is an excellent collection of Kipling's work. The variety of tales is a good mix of various yet to have been created genres and subgenres. Not all the tales may be some of his best stuff, but this collection is still a good glimpse at his style of writing. Highly recommended for fans of Kipling and students of Lit.
Siobhan
I have loved Kipling since I was a little girl, but I'd never really read much of his darker writing. I was happy to find that I enjoyed it just as much as his lighter works.

A nice little collection- maybe not for everyone since Kipling's writing style is very much a product of when he was writing.
Will
Feb 27, 2009 Will marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just got this as a holiday gift and it looks magnificent. It looks like 785 pages of inspiration to finish one of the seven stories I have running right now. Thanks, Kate!

UPDATE: Kipling's got this remarkably casual voice, dressed in Victorian style. I'd forgotten. It's lovely.
Sarah Alm
Remarkable. Until I read this collection, I was only familiar with Kipling's works for children. Many of these tales are haunting and quite beautiful.
Roseann
Some stories are great, others I just don't get...guess it's the period humor or references that make things a little difficult to comprehend!
Meg
I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman, who wrote the introduction, but I've never read Kipling.
Update - Good introduction to Kipling.
Karen
I think I had read most of these already, but I always enjoy Kipling's stories.
Courtney
19) The Solid Muldoon
20) Baboo M
Tyler Hayes
Brenton Nichol
I'd never read any Kipling before this, not being familiar with any of his works other than The Jungle Book (and I don't think I've even read that...embarrassingly, I've only experienced it by way of the old Disney adaptation). I picked it up first and foremost because I'm on the hunt for classic horror and science fiction, and also because I was curious what Neil Gaiman had to say about Kipling in his introduction.

I did not know what I was in for. I know when I am reading a solid science fictio
Deborah Schuff
The only things I had read by Rudyard Kipling before this had been his Jungle Books and the poem "If." I'd bought this book some years ago from one of my book clubs, and I had probably bought it solely on the strength that Neil Gaiman had written the introduction. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories and meeting Kipling's very distinctive characters. Stephen Jones in his afterword quotes George Orwell thus: "As of what Kipling wrote about nineteenth-century Anglo-India...it is not onl ...more
Drpsychorat
I must confess that I enjoyed the vast majority of the stories in this Kipling collection. Although his 19th century bigotry, racism & sexism was apparent in his earlier stories, his later stories had more of a psychological/religious frame of reference to them & were very captivating & emotionally appealing. I enjoyed reading this collection.
Theresamvitolo
Heavy on Indian culture & lingo. Interesting to a degree, but some of the stories seemed more superstitious based. Probably a function of having heard a lot of themes in many stories, but possible Kipling's had been the first - or at least an early one.
Cathy
I absolutely abhorred this collection of stories which is evidenced by the 2 years it took me to finish the book. I had never read anything by Kipling before but as a child loved the Rikki Tikki Tavi cartoon so I thought I'd love these stories too. I was so wrong on that account. HAlf of the time I had no idea what was going on because it seemed like key details were left out of the stories, and the times I did understand I was bored out of my mind. If I could put down a book without finishing, ...more
Frankie
Neil Gaiman's introduction was eye-opening for me, and this is the first time I've read Kipling while keeping the historical context in mind. I'm liking it so far, and just finished reading "The Man Who Would Be King"...it looks like the movie with Sean Connery was pretty true to the story (although it's been a LONG time since I've seen the movie).
Kimberly
I loved this book! My favorite : "The Finest Story of the World." I really enjoyed the tales with the character Mulvaney as well, though for entirely different reasons. The story that I found the most haunting was "The Strange Ride of Marrowbie Jukes." Everything about that tale was disturbing to the core.
Amy
Some of the stories were good, but others sort of dropped off or nothing really seemed to happen. I also just couldn't read more colonial bigotry. I guess I'm up to 3 books I never finished.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 David Melbie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I'm not sure who would like these stories other than me. . .
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
. . . Some of these tales are forgettable, but most of them were pretty good. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Angie H
Only read 4 of the short stories for bookclub. Not my cup of tea! Glad they were short otherwise they would of been 1 star.
Nancy
Only read 4 of the short stories, can't imagine reading the whole book...just not into horror...
Brenna
And of course it's not available at my library. Damn.
Andy
Still slowly working my way through these stories.
Marta Trumpjonas
Marta Trumpjonas is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Daniel Hall
Daniel Hall is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
  • Stories For Christmas
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Can Such Things Be?
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous

“This was to me a far more terrible loss than the two that I had suffered before. For though, Lord help me, I had travelled far enough from all paths of decent or godly living, yet there was in me, though I myself write it, a certain goodness of heart which, when I was sober (or sick) made me very sorry of all that I had done before the fit came on me. And this I lost wholly: having in place thereof another deadly coldness at the heart. I am not, as I have before said, ready with my pen, so I fear that what I have just written may not be readily understood.” 1 likes
“All kinds of magic are out of date and done away with, except in India, where nothing changes in spite of the shiny, top-scum stuff that people call 'civilization.” 0 likes