Start by marking “Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

"Rudyard Kipling is one of the finest writers of fantasy in the last one hundred years."-Ray Bradbury

"Kipling has seen a perfect Odyssey of strange experiences."-Andrew Lang

This volume collects many of the Nobel Prize-winning writer's fantastical pieces ranging from traditional ghost stories to works of psychological horror.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) was born in Bombay, I
Published August 12th 2010 by Fall River Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy

J.G. Keely
Feb 16, 2010 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers and Writers
Kipling's is one of those imaginations which, slipping here and there, seems to plant the seeds for numerous books and genres yet to be devised. He writes to pique, slowly twisting out his stories and drawing the reader along unexpected and unrecognized roads. Each tale might set the mind on a new and unusual tack, and hence, more than anything, Kipling is an author for authors: an author whose imagination is contagious.

His stories always center around the foreign mystery of his native-born Indi
Nicki Markus
I found it hard to get into this book. To be fair, I've found Kipling a bit heavy going in the past - there's just something about his writing style that puts me off - but when I saw this book of his short stories, I felt it was time to give him a second chance.

Certainly a few of the stories caught my interest and held it, but for the most part I found them too verbose to ever be really chilling. The ideas were there, including a delightful mix of commentary on and borrowing from Indian culture,
M Christopher
Aug 22, 2011 M Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book took me a while to read for several reasons. For one thing, at the time I started it, I was also working through the massive "Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years." I almost always have 2 or three books going at once so I can switch off depending on my mood and concentration level. Also, my Sabbatical ended while I was working on this volume, which meant I had far less time to read. Most importantly though, and what kept me from giving this collection 5 stars, is that it starts ...more
Will
Feb 21, 2009 Will marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just got this as a holiday gift and it looks magnificent. It looks like 785 pages of inspiration to finish one of the seven stories I have running right now. Thanks, Kate!

UPDATE: Kipling's got this remarkably casual voice, dressed in Victorian style. I'd forgotten. It's lovely.
Brenton
I'd never read any Kipling before this, not being familiar with any of his works other than The Jungle Book (and I don't think I've even read that...embarrassingly, I've only experienced it by way of the old Disney adaptation). I picked it up first and foremost because I'm on the hunt for classic horror and science fiction, and also because I was curious what Neil Gaiman had to say about Kipling in his introduction.

I did not know what I was in for. I know when I am reading a solid science fictio
Michael
Jul 17, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this book rather slowly. I read a couple of short stories now and then in between other novels. Some of the stories are quite good. "Vampire" is a poem that I have in another collection. No this is not about the supernatural vampire but rather a poem about a man's unrequited love for a woman who did not seem to notice his devotion to her. "Even as you and I" as the line states several times. I feel we may all relate this poem as most of us have been on one side or the other (or ...more
Courtney
19) The Solid Muldoon
20) Baboo M
Amy
Feb 27, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to admit that I had never read anything of Rudyard Kipling before this book, except for the occasional poem. He's an amazing writer, I ought to read more.

This is not one of his children's books. The stories are decidedly creepy, but several of them have that British dry humor to go along with it. The introduction by Neil Gaiman (a current, well-regarded fantasy and horror author) mentions that Rudyard Kipling has fallen out of favor because of some of his political views. I found the "
Finergrind
I wish I had read this prior to working in India. India continues to be a mystery to me... Is it a chrome edged, high tech Goliath, or a gilded mandala reflecting the past? Each time I visit India I'm left wanting to know more about. I've read most of Kipling's more popular works, but I'm surprised by his chilling tales of India. I doubt there is a more eerie setting than the countryside of India, and the caste system there provides an opportunity for sufficient horror to be visited on the good, ...more
Siobhan
Oct 15, 2012 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved Kipling since I was a little girl, but I'd never really read much of his darker writing. I was happy to find that I enjoyed it just as much as his lighter works.

A nice little collection- maybe not for everyone since Kipling's writing style is very much a product of when he was writing.
Slytheringirl
Jun 12, 2013 Slytheringirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
This is an excellent collection of Kipling's work. The variety of tales is a good mix of various yet to have been created genres and subgenres. Not all the tales may be some of his best stuff, but this collection is still a good glimpse at his style of writing. Highly recommended for fans of Kipling and students of Lit.
Sarah Alm
Aug 26, 2014 Sarah Alm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remarkable. Until I read this collection, I was only familiar with Kipling's works for children. Many of these tales are haunting and quite beautiful.
Roseann
Aug 03, 2009 Roseann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories are great, others I just don't get...guess it's the period humor or references that make things a little difficult to comprehend!
Karen
Sep 07, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I had read most of these already, but I always enjoy Kipling's stories.
Meg
Jan 22, 2009 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman, who wrote the introduction, but I've never read Kipling.
Update - Good introduction to Kipling.
Tyler Hayes
Mar 18, 2009 Tyler Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maanasee Deshmukh
Deborah Schuff
Jul 05, 2013 Deborah Schuff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
The only things I had read by Rudyard Kipling before this had been his Jungle Books and the poem "If." I'd bought this book some years ago from one of my book clubs, and I had probably bought it solely on the strength that Neil Gaiman had written the introduction. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories and meeting Kipling's very distinctive characters. Stephen Jones in his afterword quotes George Orwell thus: "As of what Kipling wrote about nineteenth-century Anglo-India...it is not onl ...more
Kas Roth
Aug 21, 2015 Kas Roth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting this to be something that was comfortable to read, however, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The arrogant main characters are a complete turnoff and they aren't getting payback really. It's like I'm supposed to feel sorry for them, but they're all the same interchangeable Englishman who uses violence and childish entitlement to get his way.

It is what it is, considering the time-period. Not a difficult read, but not really horror or fantasy as much as a dairy style retelling.
Cathy
Aug 05, 2011 Cathy rated it did not like it
I absolutely abhorred this collection of stories which is evidenced by the 2 years it took me to finish the book. I had never read anything by Kipling before but as a child loved the Rikki Tikki Tavi cartoon so I thought I'd love these stories too. I was so wrong on that account. HAlf of the time I had no idea what was going on because it seemed like key details were left out of the stories, and the times I did understand I was bored out of my mind. If I could put down a book without finishing, ...more
Frankie
Mar 19, 2009 Frankie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Neil Gaiman's introduction was eye-opening for me, and this is the first time I've read Kipling while keeping the historical context in mind. I'm liking it so far, and just finished reading "The Man Who Would Be King"...it looks like the movie with Sean Connery was pretty true to the story (although it's been a LONG time since I've seen the movie).
Drpsychorat
I must confess that I enjoyed the vast majority of the stories in this Kipling collection. Although his 19th century bigotry, racism & sexism was apparent in his earlier stories, his later stories had more of a psychological/religious frame of reference to them & were very captivating & emotionally appealing. I enjoyed reading this collection.
Kimberly
Mar 17, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! My favorite : "The Finest Story of the World." I really enjoyed the tales with the character Mulvaney as well, though for entirely different reasons. The story that I found the most haunting was "The Strange Ride of Marrowbie Jukes." Everything about that tale was disturbing to the core.
Theresamvitolo
Heavy on Indian culture & lingo. Interesting to a degree, but some of the stories seemed more superstitious based. Probably a function of having heard a lot of themes in many stories, but possible Kipling's had been the first - or at least an early one.
Amy
May 02, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Some of the stories were good, but others sort of dropped off or nothing really seemed to happen. I also just couldn't read more colonial bigotry. I guess I'm up to 3 books I never finished.
Andy
Jul 27, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still slowly working my way through these stories.
Angie H
Nov 06, 2011 Angie H rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-project
Only read 4 of the short stories for bookclub. Not my cup of tea! Glad they were short otherwise they would of been 1 star.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 David Melbie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I'm not sure who would like these stories other than me. . .
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
. . . Some of these tales are forgettable, but most of them were pretty good. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Phil Williamson
Phil Williamson rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Ana Abel
Ana Abel rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2016
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Modern Japanese Literature: From 1868 to the Present Day
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Complete Short Stories
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • Stories for Christmas
  • The Gentle Grafter
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

“This was to me a far more terrible loss than the two that I had suffered before. For though, Lord help me, I had travelled far enough from all paths of decent or godly living, yet there was in me, though I myself write it, a certain goodness of heart which, when I was sober (or sick) made me very sorry of all that I had done before the fit came on me. And this I lost wholly: having in place thereof another deadly coldness at the heart. I am not, as I have before said, ready with my pen, so I fear that what I have just written may not be readily understood.” 2 likes
“All kinds of magic are out of date and done away with, except in India, where nothing changes in spite of the shiny, top-scum stuff that people call 'civilization.” 1 likes