Start by marking “In Memory of Gorfman T. Frog” as Want to Read:

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Meet fifth-grader Josh--an irrepressible motormouth, always in trouble. His ordinary troubles grow wildly out of control when he brings a mutant frog he has found to school, and it seems everyone is on his case--parents, teacher, classmates, even the lunch ladies! When the frog is confi scated by the principal, Josh organizes the school to do what he knows is right. Heartw ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Dutton Children's Books (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In Memory of Gorfman T. Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Memory of Gorfman T. Frog

Lara
The characters are all pretty one-note in this book, especially the adults, who are all douchebags. I liked how the author pokes fun at all the douchey phrases that educators use these days, like 'building a sense of community', 'teachable moment', 'involved citizen' and so forth. I found the ending to be facile, the way the bio-grands had made friends with a fellow free-churchgoer who just happens to be a biologist who was interested in the frog. Tied it up a little too neatly, but that's JUV F ...more
babyhippoface
I enjoyed reading about Josh and Gorfman. Wouldn't say it was a favorite, but it was pretty good. It reminded me of Andrew Clements' books in that school kids stood up against school authorities when they felt they'd been unjustly punished or discriminated against, but they weren't disrespectful in their actions or words. Also, the adults were portrayed as normal, intelligent adults, not caricatured idiots.
Camille C
In Memory of Gorfman T. Frog
I like the way the author, Gail Donovan put a normal character, Joshua Tree Hewitt in his book that went out of his comfort zone to stand up for his five legged frog, Gorfman. Even though it appeared that the main character was acting out or being disobedient it was really for the best because it was bringing attention to the frog.
Josh overtime grew further and further away from his normal character. It started simply being late to school and talking back to his te
Christian B.
I gave this book five stars because the book was very funnyand very exciting to here what happens to Gorfman T. Frog. Mthere was a kid named Josh Hewitt, he found a frog with three back legs in his pool. It was very interesting to hear about a frog with three back legs. When he brought Gorfman to school they were doing experiments on him to see what was wrong with him. You have to read the book to see what happens to Gorfman at the end of the book. I thought this was more a mystery book because ...more
Jen Bojkov
I wouldn't call this outstanding children's lit, but it was an engaging and easy-to-read book. I think many kids would relate to the main character Josh and his problems with his "motor mouth!" The book also touches on how friendships sometimes change, divorce, death of a parent, blended families, and death of a pet.
Susan Pratt
The story was ok and the problem seemed realistic. I felt it tried too hard to teach a lesson. The adults were mostly jerks and the kids (except the main character) mostly perfect students....I bought 6 copies to read with a reading group but doubt they will ever be used that way.
Kathy
I thought it was OK, and am trying to decide how a 4th-5th grade boy would like it. Josh talks too much, discovers a 3-legged frog in his backyard, is very concerned about it but has to work out how to deal w/ adults who are in the habit of no longer listening to him. Pair booktalking this w/ "Frindle" (good-hearted kid keeps getting into trouble) and "The frog scientist" (real story of a scientist studying frogs and why they're growing extra or deformed legs)
Anne
It's refreshing to read a book about a kid who isn't perfect but misunderstood. Josh is always getting into trouble and you can really see why. But he is an enchanting character who makes small steps. His troubles with school ring true -- his inability to be quiet at the appropriate time, the day-to-day struggles with friends, and, of course, the dreaded silent lunch. And, a lot of kids will identify with his interest in frogs!
Chris
This book about a boy who talks too much and finds a five-legged frog seemed somewhat clumsy and stilted. I thought several of the scenes were contrived to move the story along--too many things "just happened" coincidentally at the right time. Short book but long read.
Suzanne
About a boy who is always getting in trouble. When he finds a frog with three legs he gets the whole school behind him as he tries to find out why the frog was deformed and find a way to save the polliwogs in his garden pool from the same fate.
I liked this even better than "The Waffler." Some similarities - put-upon young male protagonist, specific Maine characters, difficult home situation - but also felt different enough to be its own story.
Sandy
Nice premise, but I wish the book had focused more on Josh and his frog instead of trying to tackle so many other issues (Josh's birth father, etc.).
Betsy
One Sentence Review: I slap myself daily for not reviewing this, since it was one of my favorite funny early chapter book titles of the year, bar none.
Judy Moody
Cute book. I can just visualize this little boy into something all the time. Reminds me of some wonderful boys at my school. You gotta love em.
Kk
Great book but sad:). ):
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Amy K.
Amy K. marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Derek
Derek added it
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Waffler The Copycat Fish What's Bugging Bailey Blecker? Rainbow Fish: A Fishy Story Scaredy-Cat Fish