Start by marking “James (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)” as Want to Read:
James (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)

James (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"The Bible is being translated, commented on, read, studied, preached and analyzed as never before. But it is questionable whether it is being obeyed to a comparable degree," says Douglas Moo in the preface to his commentary on James. "All this suggests that the message of James is one that we all need to hear--and obey. No profound theologian, James' genius lied in his pr ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by IVP Academic (first published January 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James

Josh Meares
Douglas Moo is a great Pauline scholar and a master of New Testament Greek. In this volume, he turns to the letter of James. It takes a certain level of presumption to find fault in the work of such a man, but I believe that my criticism is just.

Dr. Moo does a great job in his handling of matters of Greek grammar and syntax, as one would expect. However, I believe this commentary leads one to a false conclusion because Dr. Moo tries to read it as a Greek letter. For this reason, he sees it as a
logdog
Feb 04, 2013 logdog marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I suck at doing everything in James. Honestly I always just feel really beat up after reading it because I fail at everything in it. Not asking for wisdom (1:5)? Yup. Hearing the word but not doing it (1:22). Yup. Letting my tongue have free reign (1:26). Neglecting the orphans and widows (1:27).

Who wrote this book? James, the half-brother of Jesus.

Why does the author think so?

If this is the case, why doesn’t he mention his relationship to Jesus when he introduces himself? Because what qualified
David Holford
It is hard to decide between two and three stars for this commentary, and I would probably give it 2.5 were that option available. I bought it with great anticipation to assist in teaching preparation.

On the positive side, I was impressed with Moo's willingness to note the references in James to the deutero-canonical books of the Old Testament, even if they are indexed as "Early Extrabiblical Literature". I was heretofore unaware of James' reliance on Sirach, for example. Moo is an able exegete
Nile
Aug 25, 2014 Nile rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
This has been a very helpful commentary on the book of James. It does a lot for understanding the text itself and poses many different views that major commentators have held for each verse. The Greek text is given for many key words for each verse and the possible translations discussed along with the significance of the tense used. The background of knowledge is very good and there is a lot if reference to the culture of the day. There is a surprising amount of intertestamental (Apocryphal) li ...more
Jamie Page
So, yeah, fantastic commentary on James. My only discouragement, though, is to say that this was the first commentary that I was moderately bored with. Not bored at all because of the content of the commentary. Just that the letter of James is so concise, simple, and practical that it barely needs a commentary. James says, "be a hearer, and a doer." Simple. Just go do something.

The most helpful part of the commentary for me was the breakdown of the text. James, the Proverbs of the New Testament
Josh McClellan
One of the most useful commentaries on James I have come across to date. Theologically insightful but also practically valuable. One of those commentaries that actually helps you with your sermon.
Lindsey
Great commentary. Readable but academic.
Graham
Overall a good commentary. The introduction does leave something to be desired. Also, Moo has to do some maneuvers to reconcile his reformed monergistic view of soteriology with James comments in chapter 2. But, this is still a very useful and reliable source for the most part, and succeeds at being accessible at the pastoral or well-read laity level.
Richard Cleary
Excellent commentary in many respects, even though he has difficulty fitting James teaching on the Law of Moses into his perspective of the Law. I find him an scholar and man open to change his views as truth persuades him,
and even in this commentary he bows somewhat more to the positive role of the Law of Moses within the kingdom community.
Clemmentine77
After having done my personal devotions in the book of James for a while, I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading James alongside this commentary. It solidified many things that I had concluded from my own personal study as well as gave further insight into some of the things that I still had questions on. It's a great resource in general.
Jeff Holton
I am using this resource as a study aid for my sermon series on the Letter of James. Douglas Moo is exhaustive in his commentary and yet is written in a very readable and easily understood way. The PNTC series is a fantastic series and I would recommend Moo's commentary on James in a heartbeat.
Daniel Taylor
Feb 14, 2012 Daniel Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Bible study
Shelves: christian, reference
While it's been years since I used this commentary of James, I remember that it combined scholarly insight with readability. It was fun to use and helped me get a better idea of what James was saying and why, which in turn helped me to gain application ideas.
Michael Best
Just what I've come to expect in every Moo commentary. Excellent insights, presents thorough arguments, and is very clear in his writing. This commentary was extremely helpful in preparing for lessons through the book of James.
David
A helpful evangelical commentary on James. Moo is clear, concise and makes good application of the text. His pre-millennial reading of the immanent coming of the Lord is problematic but also expected.
Nick
Really good. Douglas Moo's background knowledge of early extrabiblical literature (especially wisdom literature) allows him to deal with difficult texts well. This is an essential text for studying James.
Justin DeVantier
A very good commentary. A whole new depth to the book of james is given and one is made more aware of the wisdom literature influence on this New Testament Epistle/Homily.
Kevin Morse
If you want one commentary on James, get this one. Well written, well reasoned, and thorough. That's all I got.
Jeff Noble
The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary) by Douglas J. Moo (?)
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Stephen Bean
Stephen Bean marked it as to-read
Damas W
Damas W marked it as to-read
Randy Rzetelny
Randy Rzetelny marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Steve Stanley
Steve Stanley marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Gospel according to John (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • Romans (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament, #6)
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • Romans (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Gospel of Matthew (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • Psalms 1-72
  • An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...
The Epistle to the Romans Romans : the NIV application commentary from biblical text ... to contemporary life Encountering the Book of Romans: A Theological Survey The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon 2 Peter, Jude (The NIV Application Commentary)