Start by marking “The Elephant Tree” as Want to Read:
The Elephant Tree
Open Preview read book

The Elephant Tree

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  7,770 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Mark Fallon is an overworked detective investigating a spate of attacks at a string of high profile city centre nightclubs. Scott is a dejected 24 year old struggling to make ends meet working for his brother and supplementing his income with a small-scale drug dealing operation. Angela is an attractive 23 year old, raised by her father, a career criminal and small time dr ...more
Published 2010 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant Tree

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingUglies by Scott Westerfeld
What To Read Next
85th out of 8,927 books — 17,936 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Couldn't Put The Book Down
60th out of 5,163 books — 7,118 voters

More lists with this book...

seak
When I was first offered The Elephant Tree for review, I didn't quite know what to think. I really liked the cover and I thought it might be interesting but that's about it. Then I started reading and it's mostly about drug dealers and that's not really up my alley given my prudish upbringing.

Turns out, I'm really glad I read it.

The Elephant Tree is Ronald's debut and I have to say I'm really impressed. That's not to say this was a perfect book. It is a little disjointed in parts and some of the
Misha
The Elephant Tree was a very compelling book from start to end. It was fast-paced - I couldn't wait to see what happens next.

Yet this book is different from all the thrillers I have read because it offers more than just adrenaline rush. The author keeps you intrigued through the various twists and turns.

Despite the setting being the world of drug dealers and criminals, you can't help but sympathize with the characters. Scott and Angela were very likeable characters. I genuinely felt for them.Bo
How to review this book.

entertaining content (you will go through this book within days) but it's like junkfood and not coming to any great awe(some) moments.

Scotts is our main character. He's a small time drug dealer with his friend Neil.

They have their regular group of druggies that they know and associate with. Life is good, not great but good. Although Scott has been feeling for a while he needs a change.

Scott has a strained relationship with his only brother. After his parents died and the
Francisco
When I saw this book I was really curious to read it ,because of its interesting cover .As soon as I saw the book cover it caught my attention. This story is different from all the books I have read because it offers more than just adrenaline rush. The author keeps you intrigued through the various twists and turns.
Despite the setting being the world of drug dealers and criminals, you can't help but sympathize with the characters. Scott and Angela were very likeable characters. I honestly felt f
Amanda Turner
Couldn't put this book down. Really easy read. Well crafted crime mystery novel with a raw flavor to the details that makes it all feel more real and really gets you hooked.

Loved this book so much I went on to read the author's second novel 'The Zombie Room'. Also a good read.

R.D. Ronald is known for his rocky relationship with the law. His work is inspired by the time he spent in prison for drug distribution, having grown weed for his wife to help her with her battle with cancer. It's an inte
Corina Purcell
The Elephant Tree follows disenfranchised youth, Scott, an underpaid employee and part-time drug dealer, as he attempts to make something meaningful out of his life. With dead parents and an over achieving older sibling, he is nevertheless determined to turn his life around.

Compelling characters and moments of literary awe as razor sharp scenes unfold. A great use of metaphor to tie up a complex web of plot and sub plot, which results in an entertaining, satirical, and sometimes amusing read, de
Martin Sharp
The Elephant Tree was recommended to me by a fellow crime-thriller fan. Debut novels can be a little hit-and-miss as a writer finds his (or her) style. The Elephant Tree definitely sits in the category of HIT!

The back of the book gives only a glimpse in to the plot and the seedy world occupied by well written, interesting characters. The plot is always exciting and leads you in a world of drug deals and violence, where you don't know who to trust.

This is a fantastic thriller and one I'm sure I'
George King
If you read my recent review of The Zombie Room, you will know that I bought The Elephant Tree on a recent visit to the UK where I was lucky enough to meet the author himself. This book, like The Zombie Room was excellent and I would absolutely recommend that you read both R.D. Ronald's books and anything else the author writes as you will not be disappointed. Both The Zombie Room and The Elephant Tree are great books!
Gemma Davison
Debut novel by R.D. Ronald was full of fantastic imagery, gritty characters a plot twists and turns. With such a wonderful flowing style Ronald draws you right into the story, giving the impression that the tale is being read to you making it a fast paced read that I couldn't put down. I read it in two days and will be revisiting it in future.

Will be added to a few Christmas stockings this summer.
Kim
I purchased this book because of its high ratings on Good Reads. The beginning of the novel took awhile to get through as the back story took a long time to establish. There was some jumping around in time periods with flashbacks not well identified. However, the key to this book is the unexpected progress and routing it takes. I did not predict the ending. I really enjoyed this book.
Allison
Definitely not what I was expecting, but a great read nonetheless! It was a gripping story that left me on the edge of my seat several times, however I wasn't as captivated by the characters and descriptions as other books I have recently read. Overall, it was a nice break from my usual YA paranormal/dystopia and I would recommend it as a casual read.
Lynne
loved it! it is full of great characters and the plot is oddly compelling. for a first book, or even for an experienced novelist it would be really good. i recommend it for anyone looking for something they just can't put down! also, the author has a website where you can catch interviews with the author and other interesting clips and information.
Allie
The Elephant Tree is a story of a man trying to escape from his own tedious life, initially seeming unconcerned by committing illegal acts, but when presented with the consequences and potential repercussions of some more serious circumstances, forced to question who he is and what he really believes in. A pretty dark and challenging book, but equally as exciting and rewarding.

The book itself is semi-lengthy, easy to read and cleverly written from three different POVs. Those POVs allowed me to r
Alan
Mar 08, 2013 Alan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Goodreads recommended to me, so likewise.
Recommended to Alan by: Bought after reading another of the author's books.
I bought this after reading R D Ronald's other book. Like that, this way also pretty dark and sinister, but I really like the literary approach rather than the forced along plot aspect of most thrillers. You kind of get wrapped up with the characters lives and things feel like they happen organically.
Debbie Marsh
Although this genre is not my usual cup of tea (it's sort of clubland meets gangland) I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down from the part where Scott and Twinkle do their job. Well worth a read!!
Sokolataki88
Excellent book, the characters are very relatable despite their criminal activities. The relationship between Scott and Angela is very complicated and interesting. I thoroughly recommend it, great read.
Adam
Great book, keeps you on the edge of your seat, trying to anticipate what will happen next. the kind of book that consumes your mind even when not reading. its a must read!!
Andrea "Drea"
The book was intriguing starting with the cover and the story did not disappoint. I didn't want to put it down and didn't want it to end.
Peter Garcia
I loved the way the Tree played out as symbolic and a metaphor for Scott's life. Fantastic read.
Adam Evans
Great story with relatable characters. I really enjoyed this.
Jane
A real page turner! Great book for a plane trip
Lisbeth
i enjoyed it
Carolyn
very good book
Janey
My only fault with this book is that I simply didn’t want to put it down in between sittings, which was a tad problematic at bedtime,...it wasn’t a book I had chosen myself to read and probably wouldn’t have if it hadn’t been recommended to me.

I can honestly say it has set the bar for my future expectations!!! it has all the aspects I crave from a book, good characterisation, with a punchy storyline and disappointment of the last page perfection...... :)

I have to say though for a first published
Pat
I must admit, I was dubious starting this book as it isn't usually my scene. Once I started reading it, however, my mind was changed. The characters have a very real feel to them and you feel like part of the story almost instantaneously. The book has an amazing empathetic mood to it and as well as having those everyday life and happy moments, it has sad bits that really draw out your emotion. Even if you are easily upset by tear-jerking stories, (like myself), I would recommend this book as It ...more
Rosemarie Dibden
Given as a gift, I was slightly dubious after reading the synopsis of The Elephant Tree, but decided I would give it a go anyway, and after a few chapters was completely hooked and glad I gave it a chance. The pacing and plot are different to what most mainstream books adhere to these days, but the change is hugely refreshing. The personalities of the characters are very compeling, which I never would have believed after looking over the synopsis. This one is well worth taking a chance on.
Simon P. Fleming
The Elephant Tree is a real "page turner" of a book with well rounded characters and a fantastic story, it draws you into a seedy world of drug dealing where you don't know who to trust. You won't what to put this book down, highly recommended, 5 stars.
James Robbins
overated.If you were young,inexperienced,and not very worldly you would like this book. It made me laugh.Is this "Young Adult Fiction"?Be careful, there are "cannabis" sellers out there!
The elephant tree. 2 16 May 02, 2014 11:38PM
  • Glue
  • The Insult
  • Kingdom Come
  • The Basketball Diaries
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • Hey Nostradamus!
  • Slaves of New York
  • Guts
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • Selected Essays from: How to be Alone
An award winning transgressive crime novelist (whatever that means) for All and None.

Author of The Elephant Tree and The Zombie Room. Now writing more books while getting older and more miserable.

Twitter: @RDRonaldauthor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RDRonald
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101643152...
More about R.D. Ronald...
The Zombie Room

“Sometimes truths are what we run from, and sometimes they are what we seek.” 40 likes
“Jack laughed behind him, a mirthless sound from a man who had been on the wrong end of life's ironies too many times.” 20 likes