The Elephant Tree
Open Preview read book

The Elephant Tree

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  6,134 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Mark Fallon is an overworked detective investigating a spate of attacks at a string of high profile city centre nightclubs. Scott is a dejected 24 year old struggling to make ends meet working for his brother and supplementing his income with a small-scale drug dealing operation. Angela is an attractive 23 year old, raised by her father, a career criminal and small time dr...more
Published 2010 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant Tree

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Couldn't Put The Book Down
84th out of 4,969 books — 6,817 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingUglies by Scott Westerfeld
What To Read Next
115th out of 8,513 books — 17,542 voters

More lists with this book...

Seak (Bryce L.)
When I was first offered The Elephant Tree for review, I didn't quite know what to think. I really liked the cover and I thought it might be interesting but that's about it. Then I started reading and it's mostly about drug dealers and that's not really up my alley given my prudish upbringing.

Turns out, I'm really glad I read it.

The Elephant Tree is Ronald's debut and I have to say I'm really impressed. That's not to say this was a perfect book. It is a little disjointed in parts and some of the...more
James Robbins
overated.If you were young,inexperienced,and not very worldly you would like this book. It made me laugh.Is this "Young Adult Fiction"?Be careful, there are "cannabis" sellers out there!
Val
The Elephant Tree was filled with crime and mystery. I haven’t read many books in this type of genre but I thought the synopsis was interesting and I decided to give it a try.

In the very beginning of The Elephant Tree, we are introduces to Mark Fallon a detective investigating a murder at a high profile club. There are a lot of innuendoes that something seems to be off about the murder, the way people are acting and the small details of how it took place. After that first encounter with Mark Fa...more
Amanda Turner
Couldn't put this book down. Really easy read. Well crafted crime mystery novel with a raw flavor to the details that makes it all feel more real and really gets you hooked.

Loved this book so much I went on to read the author's second novel 'The Zombie Room'. Also a good read.

R.D. Ronald is known for his rocky relationship with the law. His work is inspired by the time he spent in prison for drug distribution, having grown weed for his wife to help her with her battle with cancer. It's an inte...more
Sokolataki88
Excellent book, the characters are very relatable despite their criminal activities. The relationship between Scott and Angela is very complicated and interesting. I thoroughly recommend it, great read.
Misha
The Elephant Tree was a very compelling book from start to end. It was fast-paced - I couldn't wait to see what happens next.

Yet this book is different from all the thrillers I have read because it offers more than just adrenaline rush. The author keeps you intrigued through the various twists and turns.

Despite the setting being the world of drug dealers and criminals, you can't help but sympathize with the characters. Scott and Angela were very likeable characters. I genuinely felt for them.Bo...more
How to review this book.

entertaining content (you will go thru this book within days) but it's like junkfood and not coming to any great awe(some) moments.

Scotts is our main character. He's a small time drug dealer with his friend Neil.

They have their regular group of druggies that they know and associate with. Life good, not great but good. Although Scott has been feeling for a while he needs a change.

Scott has a strained relationship with his only brother. After his parents died and then his...more
Janey
My only fault with this book is that I simply didn’t want to put it down in between sittings, which was a tad problematic at bedtime,...it wasn’t a book I had chosen myself to read and probably wouldn’t have if it hadn’t been recommended to me.

I can honestly say it has set the bar for my future expectations!!! it has all the aspects I crave from a book, good characterisation, with a punchy storyline and disappointment of the last page perfection...... :)

I have to say though for a first published...more
Corey Farrell
The plot seemed to be thrown together in the end. The first three quarters were slow leading up the end that finally had me wanting to keep reading. Almost as if he started writing it and needed to hurry to bring it to conclusion. Maybe he hit his stride too late? There were holes in the story and I never really grew to like the characters so the slow part wasn't even successful there. It was certainly an easy read and somewhat entertaining, but left me wanting more.
Adam
Great book, keeps you on the edge of your seat, trying to anticipate what will happen next. the kind of book that consumes your mind even when not reading. its a must read!!
Andrea "Drea"
The book was intriguing starting with the cover and the story did not disappoint. I didn't want to put it down and didn't want it to end.
Bre
Easy read; full of action. However, multiple spelling errors, inconsistencies and a poor ending made this story forgettable.
Peter Garcia
I loved the way the Tree played out as symbolic and a metaphor for Scott's life. Fantastic read.
Celeste Dothage
Didn't particularly like it. Finished it because it was the only book I had with me on vacation.
Martin Sharp
The Elephant Tree was recommended to me by a fellow crime-thriller fan. Debut novels can be a little hit-and-miss as a writer finds his (or her) style. The Elephant Tree definitely sits in the category of HIT!

The back of the book gives only a glimpse in to the plot and the seedy world occupied by well written, interesting characters. The plot is always exciting and leads you in a world of drug deals and violence, where you don't know who to trust.

This is a fantastic thriller and one I'm sure I'...more
Pat
I must admit, I was dubious starting this book as it isn't usually my scene. Once I started reading it, however, my mind was changed. The characters have a very real feel to them and you feel like part of the story almost instantaneously. The book has an amazing empathetic mood to it and as well as having those everyday life and happy moments, it has sad bits that really draw out your emotion. Even if you are easily upset by tear-jerking stories, (like myself), I would recommend this book as It...more
Rosemarie Dibden
Given as a gift, I was slightly dubious after reading the synopsis of The Elephant Tree, but decided I would give it a go anyway, and after a few chapters was completely hooked and glad I gave it a chance. The pacing and plot are different to what most mainstream books adhere to these days, but the change is hugely refreshing. The personalities of the characters are very compeling, which I never would have believed after looking over the synopsis. This one is well worth taking a chance on.
George King
If you read my recent review of The Zombie Room, you will know that I bought The Elephant Tree on a recent visit to the UK where I was lucky enough to meet the author himself. This book, like The Zombie Room was excellent and I would absolutely recommend that you read both R.D. Ronald's books and anything else the author writes as you will not be disappointed. Both The Zombie Room and The Elephant Tree are great books!
Gemma Davison
Debut novel by R.D. Ronald was full of fantastic imagery, gritty characters a plot twists and turns. With such a wonderful flowing style Ronald draws you right into the story, giving the impression that the tale is being read to you making it a fast paced read that I couldn't put down. I read it in two days and will be revisiting it in future.

Will be added to a few Christmas stockings this summer.
Lynne
loved it! it is full of great characters and the plot is oddly compelling. for a first book, or even for an experienced novelist it would be really good. i recommend it for anyone looking for something they just can't put down! also, the author has a website where you can catch interviews with the author and other interesting clips and information.
Simon P. Fleming
The Elephant Tree is a real "page turner" of a book with well rounded characters and a fantastic story, it draws you into a seedy world of drug dealing where you don't know who to trust. You won't what to put this book down, highly recommended, 5 stars.
Debbie Marsh
Although this genre is not my usual cup of tea (it's sort of clubland meets gangland) I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down from the part where Scott and Twinkle do their job. Well worth a read!!
Shannon
I think the best way to describe this novel is as a crime-thriller type book but except for the first and last few chapters the detective is not in the book. The main characters are low-level drug dealers who work the local bars. There is a bit of intrigue and some twists and turns but overall there were a few things lacking for me. One was that the police were not realistic in the few appearances that they do make. I have a hard time believing any of the interactions with Scott - especially dur...more
Corina Purcell
The Elephant Tree follows disenfranchised youth, Scott, an underpaid employee and part-time drug dealer, as he attempts to make something meaningful out of his life. With dead parents and an over achieving older sibling, he is nevertheless determined to turn his life around.

Compelling characters and moments of literary awe as razor sharp scenes unfold. A great use of metaphor to tie up a complex web of plot and sub plot, which results in an entertaining, satirical, and sometimes amusing read, de...more
Jade
This book really let me down. Within it is the foundation for a good crime novel, but it seems like it really needs some sorting out before it should have been published. There's too much drivel in places; whole pages of daily routine and then back stories are rushed making characters seem almost comical, like in some bad 80s detective drama. From the great title and description I just wanted a lot more.
Mia
Couldn't put this book down.. Compelling
Francisco
When I saw this book I was really curious to read it ,because of its interesting cover .As soon as I saw the book cover it caught my attention. This story is different from all the books I have read because it offers more than just adrenaline rush. The author keeps you intrigued through the various twists and turns.
Despite the setting being the world of drug dealers and criminals, you can't help but sympathize with the characters. Scott and Angela were very likeable characters. I honestly felt f...more
Tori
This was just ok for me. I think it would make a better movie because its so action heavy and scenes like that are better to watch than read in my opinion. Unfortunately a skimmed a lot of those parts but it didn't effect my understanding of what was happening.

I feel like guys would enjoy it more but that may be stereotypical...

The ending was kind of sloppy to me and felt a little thrown together ungracefully. Its a little too predictable and as much as I hate cliffhangers and open endings, I h...more
Katie
I do not understand how people can say this is a book you can't put down. I usually read a good book in one, maybe two sittings. Every time I put this one down it took me a week to pick it back up. I finished it out of pure desire to have finished it.

The first 120 pages are disjointed and don't insight any intrigue about what is going to happen or how things will intertwine. Then, it finally gets interesting and that part is over in a few pages. The final reveal is boring and disappointing. No...more
The elephant tree. 2 11 May 02, 2014 11:38PM
  • Slaves of New York
  • Kingdom Come
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • The Contortionist's Handbook
A transgressive crime novelist (whatever that means) for All and None.

Author of The Elephant Tree and The Zombie Room. Now writing more books while getting older and more miserable.

Twitter: @RDRonaldauthor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RDRonald
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101643152...
More about R.D. Ronald...
The Zombie Room

“Sometimes truths are what we run from, and sometimes they are what we seek.” 35 likes
“Jack laughed behind him, a mirthless sound from a man who had been on the wrong end of life's ironies too many times.” 20 likes