Start by marking “A New Fear” as Want to Read:
A New Fear

A New Fear (Fear Street Sagas #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,346 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Fear name brings fortune...and doom.
The dark power of the Fear family consumes all those connected with it. The Fears. Those they love -- and hate. The entire town of Shadyside. All are tainted forever by the evil of the family's curse.
No one can escape.
Nora Goode and Daniel Fear hoped to end the curse of the Fear family. But on their wedding day, a horrible fire
Published June 30th 2008 by Simon Pulse (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A New Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Fear

Marlowe
For a couple summers in a row in my early teens, I got to visit my step-mother's summer home in the Wisconsin north woods. The house was by a lake, so I'd just lie in a hammock, basking in the sun, listening to a tape that had Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" on one side and "Heavy Horses" on the other, and read through all of R.L. Stine's Fear Street books.

I loved all of them, though I especially loved the Fear Street Saga trilogy and later Fear Street Sagas - which are different from the Fe
Drucilla
This book is your typical Fear book. So why am I giving it one star instead of the usual two or three? I mean, the story itself is sound and beside the horrible ending of "evil wins, good loses", what's wrong with it? Um....how about the fact that IT'S NOT CANNON??????? In The Burning, Daniel and Nora are married and go straight to tell Simon Fear. Unless they're consummating their marraige on a horse or in a carraige, this book couldn't have happened because Nicholas could never have existed. W ...more
Emily
I really liked this series. It seemed like it was geared toward an older audience and readers got more history of the Fears and I love stuff like that. I'm 22 and I might even read this series again someday. Some of Stine's best.
Hassiba
Dec 08, 2014 Hassiba added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Tweens
I've read most of the fearstreet and Goosebumps series during middle school. As I remember them they were amazing Scary but not terrifying, and easy to read.

Megan
This is not the first one in the Fear Street Sagas. This is the first one in the Series of Fear Street Sagas. To be read after you read the trilogy.
Alex
I always loved the Fear Street Saga books as a kid. They were better written than the regular series, and seemed to target an older audience.

I used to check this one out from the library over and over again as a kid. I remember being fascinated and terrified by the amount of detail in this one. Fear Street books are full of murder of course, but they didn't usually go into as much detail as this one did.

I was surprised at how good this still was after all these years! I had a lot of fun re-read
Lyons
a new tragedy begins.
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
Have you ever wondered how R.L. Stine's Fear Street series began? How the "Street" became "Fear Street"? The Fear Street Sagas gives a glimpse into the history of the Fear family and Fear Street of Shadyside. A family feud between the Fears and the Goodes, have created a long history of fear, hate, mystery and wonder. Nora Goode and Daniel Fear had hoped to put their families' feud to an end through their marriage. Unfortunately, the night of their marriage announcement a fire rages through Fear ...more
Nicole
Was this a work of literary genius? No. Was it a fun read? I suppose. It's been years since I revisited any of Stine's work, so I was a little taken back by the simplicity of the book. Sometimes simple is nice though. Would I recommend it to a friend? Probably not. Though it was a nice visit back to my childhood!
Windy Teha
I thought it was really the bad luck, evil doing. Well it was evil doing, only it was in human form.

The first part of the book is unnecessary long and could have been shorten. Overall this book is pretty good.
Ria
Nora terpenjara dalam Rumah sakit Jiwa bersama bayinya Nicholas. Tak ada satu orangpun percaya dengan penjelasan dia tentang kebakaran di Mansion keluarga, semua menganggap Nora tidak waras. Suatu hari dokter rumah sakit jiwa ingin menjual Nicholas kepada keluarga kaya. Namun Nora dengan susah payah mempertahankan bayinya, hingga Daniel suaminya yang telah meninggal datang bangkit dari kuburnya dalam wujud api dan menyerang dokter itu. Nora tak mau buang kesempatan dia lari, dan pergi jauh dari ...more
Jennifer S
the beginning of fear street is a good story with a dark ending. I liked that it wasn't the typical good always triumphs mind of ending.
Zhang Danqi
How do you even start reading those books? I mean i found a few that can be read in Goodreads, but this cant be read online.... :(
Marion Kuehne
Cara
I used to love these as a teen. They just aren't the same, but it was fun to re-read a Fear Street book.
Mark
It's been since 1995 the last time I read anything by R.L. Stine and I figured I'd give him a read again to bring back some memories of my childhood horror days. I must say I was surprised at how good this story was, as it takes place in 1900 and gives way to what becomes the street called "Fear Street" so I thought that was neat to read about. I knew it would be a quick read and I almost couldn't put it down because of that. It's very straight forward and has a pretty good ending. Although I fe ...more
Lilly Zheng
R.L Stine is an amazing author who creates a whole new world for readers. His story is written with multiple techniques to allow the reader to imagine and feel at the same time. His stories are also creative. In this book two girl switches bodies. However, one gets married to Mr.Fear, a man who is considered curse because of his last name. After the protagonist is married to him awful things start to happen. This story has a tragic ending that will shock the reader.
Ali Hassan
Good book but there is very wired and awkward kind of ending. Abrupt twists at the end and sense less murders.
Imey Juliant
Buku ini (kurang lebih) bercerita awal keburukan dan malapetaka yang terjadi di fear street, rumah tua yang menjadi titik utama kutukan yang terus menerus menjadi teror di lingkungan ini.
gak terlalu bagus sih, hanya saja sebagai teman perjalanan jauh boleh juga.
Rebecca
this book is all about curses of the Fear Family. This girl and her friend switch places and the girl marries Mr. Fear suddenly these crazy things start to happen after her husband died after an accidental death. extremly good book for R.L.Stine.
Suzanne
I read these ages ago, found them in our library and decided to re-read the whole saga collection. I still enjoy them! I didn't remember it being quite as graphic as it was but it makes the book!
Brittany
I read this book while in middle school. I was a HUGE R.L. Stine fan and like most of his other books, especially the Fear Street Sagas, I couldn't put it down.
Jaime
I was a huge R.L. Stine fan in my early teens! I loved all the fear street books! They are what got me into reading again! :)
Ivy
Good start to the Fear Street Saga series. Wonder what will happen now.

Can't wait to read the next book!!
Brittany
One of my favorite series growing up. It's always fun to revisit the books that helped make us bibliophiles!
Ashley
read this in maybe 5th grade..summer days spent inside reading THIS book instead of playing outside..its that good.
Ranata
The Fear Street Saga ones were some of the best. I loved the back story given. Great books!
  • The Lost Mind
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Hello, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #14)
  • Prom Dress
  • The Invitation (Point Horror, #20)
  • Snow (Losing Christina, #2)
  • The Evil Twin (Sweet Valley High, #100)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street Sagas (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • House of Whispers (Fear Street Sagas, #2)
  • Forbidden Secrets (Fear Street Sagas, #3)
  • The Sign of Fear (Fear Street Saga #4)
  • The Hidden Evil (Fear Street Sagas, #5)
  • Daughters of Silence (Fear Street Sagas, #6)
  • Children of Fear (Fear Street Sagas, #7)
  • Dance of Death (Fear Street Sagas, #8)
  • Heart of the Hunter (Fear Street Sagas, #9)
  • The Awakening Evil (Fear Street Sagas, #10)
  • Circle of Fire (Fear Street Sagas, #11)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)