Beauty and the Squat Bears

Beauty and the Squat Bears (The Squat Bears / Les Ours Nains #3)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When the queen's magic mirror declares that Snow White is the fairest in the land, Snow flees the kingdom and finds herself at the doorstep of the seven squat bears' cabin! But the squat bears aren't interested in harboring fugitive princesses. The best place for a beautiful princess is with a prince!
Setting off to find a prince, the squat bears quickly learn that the live...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Squat Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty and the Squat Bears

jess
Raina already said it best. I enjoyed this.

Although, I should note that Levi refused to read it because it looked too babyish. I thought it was cute, though.
Sherry
Oh, so funny! These fractured fairy tales are nothing new, yet Emile Bravo gives it a fresh, sassy, feel. Using Snow White, the Frog Prince, the Three Bears and Cinderella, common frustrations in these tales intermingle. Characters meet and, despite their ulterior motives, they find themselves better off if they stick together (and do not cross the Fairy Godmother)! Scenes to make you chuckle (spoiler): there's a reference to Homer's Odyssey (a beautiful, wiley woman turns men into pigs), and a...more
Nick
This is a delightful set of fractured fairy tales, all interwoven into one bizarre smoothie of a story.
When Snow White encounters a house owned by seven squat bears on the same day that an entire kingdom nearby has been put to sleep for a hundred years, things begin to go wrong. Bits of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast and other stories all begin to trip over each other, much to the frustration of the nearest Fairy Godmother, several princes, a very practical pig and...more
Raina
This. Is. So. Cute. I was expecting a fairly traditional retelling of either Beauty and the Beast or Snow White featuring this new entity, "squat bears," but this is neither of those stories, really. It's a mashup of many many many fairytales which turns gender norms on their heads (though I really don't think that was Bravo's goal). The illustrations are bright, colorful, accessible, and playful. And the most shocking thing may be that as far as I can tell, nothing is lost in translation. I hav...more
Morgan York
When it comes to Disney, I am crazy. This graphic novel combines many stories together as one comic, such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and The Three Little Pigs. This is more for a younger group of children, maybe K-2nd. These student will most likely be able to understand the content very well because of the movies incorporated into it. I also love the illustrations. I've never been one for riding comic books, but this graphic novel is a lot of fun to read an...more
Ubalstecha
When the Seven Squat Bears return from looking for food, they find a beautiful princess at their door. They know she will stay until they find a prince for her to marry, so one is sent off to find a suitable prince.

Another blending and twisting of fairy tales, this time Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, with some Three Little Pigs and media commentary thrown in for leavening. Again, this book lacks a soul or sense of fun, making it not funny or witty.

Skip it.
Matti Karjalainen
Émile Bravon lystikkään lastensarjakuvan kolmas osa luottaa vanhaan reseptiin, eli kääpiökarhut törmäävät vanhoista saduista tuttuihin hahmoihin hieman toisenlaisissa yhteyksissä. Sarjakuva viehättänee niin lapsia kuin aikuisiakin.
Rosa
Again we meet a mixture of fairy tale characters from all over the board. There is lots of funny to be had here and I really enjoyed the story the writer came up with and the cross over of fairy tale characters.
Suvi
En ollut Bravoa aiemmin lukenut, mutta kirja oli hauska uusi tuttavuus. Pitääkin lukea myös aiemmat osat. Tätä voisi tarjota kyllä lasten ohella myös nuorisolle ja aikuisillekin, huumorin taso sopii varmasti kaikille.
Markku Kesti
Bravolla on tahti parantunut osa osalta näiden kääpiökarhujen kanssa. Oikein hyvää lastensarjakuvaa ja satuviittauksissa riittää aikuisillekin bongattavaa.
A funny quick read that bridges the gap between picture book and graphic novel. Good for kids who like fractured fairy tales.
Liisa
Klassikkosatuja sekoittava lastensarjakuva, joka iloisesti yllätti: tämä kolmas osa oli ehdottomasti aikaisempiaan hauskempi.
David
Taking over Children's/YA GN at work - Squat Bears was recommended by a coworker. This cracked me up. Good stuff!
Maggie V
Too funny ... another fairy tale retelling where everything is mixed up and wrong.
Marjorie
hateful language in this book. is it supposed to be funny? it's just a crap book to me.
Tabi {Don't think~Just write~Tell a story}
Really funny twists to the classic fairytales!!! LOVED IT!!!!
Paula
The illustrations are classic for this graphic novel.
Kelli
Kelli added it
Jul 30, 2014
Rayb
Rayb added it
May 23, 2014
Terra
Terra marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Chris Howard
Chris Howard marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Kiki Langberg
Kiki Langberg marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Le Journal d'un Ingénu Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears The Hunger of the Seven Squat Bears L'imparfait Du Futur Jules, Tome 3:  Presque Enterrés !