Start by marking “Five Hundred Years After (Khaavren Romances, #2)” as Want to Read:
Five Hundred Years After (Khaavren Romances, #2)

Five Hundred Years After (The Khaavren Romances #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,733 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This swashbuckling sequel to Brust's bestselling The Phoenix Guards, set 500 years after the first story, is a tale of four companions in the midst of an uprising that threatens to destroy the ruling force of their home planet.
Published 1994 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Five Hundred Years After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Hundred Years After

Chris Bauer
"I have read Five Hundred Years After by Steven Brust. I understand you wish to hear of it."
"I would like nothing more. Please tell me of it."
"Yes. I shall give you my review now."
"I am listening, Reviewer."

I've been reading about the exploits of Vlad Taltos since I was in high school back in the late 80's. If anything, each book is more subtle and nuanced than one before it. Five Hundred Years After was written almost a decade ago but works well as a sequel to Phonenix Guards. While Vlad doesn'
Sort of like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (though this book isn't anything like that one) or like The Series of Unfortunate Events (not like those either) I loved this book BECAUSE of the pedantic and fictional author. I loved every aside where the narrator would pause to explain to you that he wasn't going to waste your time by describing the horses to you because they weren't historically relevant, that other authors would try to fill pages with descriptions of horses' billowing manes or s ...more
Robin Hobb
Did you ever read The Three Musketeers? And did you then (as I did) go on to read all the sequels.

Steven Brust and I share a deep love of Dumas. It's reflected in this book.
Brust continues the Three Musketeers pastiche in this book, a sequel that absolutely requires that you read the preceding book in the series.

A bit like the book it was modeled after, Twenty years after, it is moodier and darker than its predecessor. However in my opinion Brust does not give enough "play time" to the characters we (readers) like, while spending too much time on the less likeable ones. That makes parts of the book a bit heavy going, and its size and its overblown language does not
This is the follow up to the Pheonix Guards. It is an equally strong story in its own right but would lack emotional impact for readers who did not start the story at the begining. The series continues it's high heroisim and light plot with warmth humor and a genuine feeling of freindship amoung the "cast."
Another really good book in the Khaavren Romances series. The style is really growing on me, and I am finding myself thinking in it a little bit when I am not paying too much attention to what is happening (i.e. daydreaming).

It is nice seeing what happened to cause something that affects everything that has happened during the course of the Vlad Taltos novels. So many things have been mentioned about it, but this is the first time that we have gotten to actually see it.

Now to decide whether to s
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Whether you like this book or not is very dependent on how much you can deal with a rather overwhelming parody joke. The following is an example of a typical piece of dialogue:

"I have an idea!"

"An idea?"

"Yes, an idea."

"And is it a good idea?"

"I believe it is in fact a very splendid idea."

"I would be ever so honored if you would share this idea with me."

"Than I shall do so."

"I cannot but wait."

"I shall begin ahence."

"As soon as you are ready."

"Here then, is the idea..."

This book was written in th
Nov 12, 2012 Rich rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of derring-do and adventure
Recommended to Rich by: I did. It was me.
Book number two of my chronological rereading of Brust's books set in Dragaera as the four heroes of The Phoenix Guard return for more fast paced adventure.

Barely a chapter passes without people taking passes at each other with swords in duels, battles or street fights. The swashbuckling and entertaining formally polite dialog from the first book is still there, but the some of the lightness and fun is missing this time around. I believe that this is because the bulk of the fun in the first boo
Brust returns to the players in the Phoenix Guards who have been apart for 500 years. Fate throws our four heroes together as they set out again to save the empire. This book follows them over the course of two weeks in which the events from 500 years earlier catch up to them and forces are in play that threaten to rip the empire apart and have dire personal consequences.

As with the Phoenix Guard. Brust provides a unique way of speaking that at times can interfere with the storytelling but is mo
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Modeled roughly on Dumas' Twenty Years After which deals with the Cromwell revolution and how this affected Charles I - this deals with all the events leading up to Adron's disaster (not much of a spoiler since there is a chapter called Adron's Disaster). So, an average person reading this will not be too surprised about the directions the book takes. The only downside of the book is really that since the plot is so focused on a concrete ending that the plot moves without much deviation towards ...more
Clay Kallam
Steven Brust writes old-fashioned fantasies that are set in a world that is, well, fun. “Five Hundred Years After” (Orb, $15.99, 444 pages) further chronicles the past of the world in which the Vlad Taltos books are set, and is a follow-up to “The Phoenix Guard.” The style is purposefully ornate, and, as Alexander Dumas is one of Brust’s favorite authors, there’s more than a hint of “The Three Musketeers” – with of course the addition of magic and “humans” who live for a thousand years or more.

Odd job.
I enjoyed revisiting the heroes but the amount of filler text, especially in speech repeated again and again to no gain truly made the read difficult and irritating.
The sequel to The Phoenix Guards. More of the same --- very funny, overly elaborate dialogue, intentionally portentous narration that works well to comedic effect, same great characterization and if anything an even more elaborate original plot. The apocalyptic ending was a true page-turner. I'm glad that Brust is choosing to keep the ex-Guardsmen more friendly (although they do all have different goals) than Dumas did his Musketeers in his first sequel. The romance adds a happy ending to an oth ...more
Clay Eshom
Having read the series, I went back and retread them again, this is one of the few collections that I found worth having available at hand. The characters are interesting and sync well together. The bond built between them allows one to see into what a close relationship could be.
The storyline follows a young man in his quest for glory, it entangles him with three others from different walks of life and then matches them against multiple villains over which they prove themselves. Unfortunately i
Love his writing style and his influence of Alexander Dumas's writing style like in Three Musketeers.
DeAnna Knippling
A reread. One of my favorite books ever.
I love "Five Hundred Years After" every bit as much as I love the "Phoenix Guards", and this is in spite of the fact that I almost always skip past the "Greycat" plotline when I read this book. Even if I just stick with the chapters that cover the exploits of Khaavren, Pel, Tazendra and Aerich the story is completely enjoyable and satisfying.

For Vlad fans: the legendary assassin Mario has a supporting role in this story, so there's the added bonus of seeing him in action.
" 'Don't tell them that I meant well.' "

Oh, the layers! In just that one line! For a reader all caught up on the Vlad series, this is freaking gold. All of it. Caught up on even a little of the Vlad series, you know how this books ends, and who lives through it, but it is outstanding to see them leading up to it, and to see just how they live through it.

Just...awesome (or, if you prefer, amazing) all the way through.
This is a well-crafted parody/pastiche of the classic literary adventure, so perhaps it deserves a better rating. However, in comparison with Brust's Taltos books it suffers in readability and charm; reading it *five* years or so after, I find it difficult to immerse myself in the plot and characters. I recommend it for one read, maybe two.
***Dave Hill
A bit more fragmented than the original "Phoenix Guard," this Dumas pastiche is still ripping good fun, as old friends are reunited and torn apart by the conspiracies and corruption of pre-Interregnum Dragaera.

Oh, and things go Boom at the end. Big time. But, then, we already knew that.

Fun times, and worth rereading.
Kristi Cramer
How does one explain Five Hundred Years After?
I wouldn't know where to start, but I can tell you I really enjoyed this book, and The Phoenix Guard (the events of which are 500 years prior to this book).
I love the understated humor. I love the characters.
I have to say, I love just about everything Steven Brust writes.
Michael Coats
More great writing. All the excitement and thrills of Dumas are wrapped in this tale. The ending is a given; Adron's disaster will destroy the capital, kill thousands, and leave the empire in shambles as the Interregnum begins. The journey to this ending is a wild ride.

"Don't tell them that I meant well."
This sequel to The Phoenix Guards is a huge departure – a complex, thoughtful tragedy. Characters have depth, the plot is intricate, and the themes are powerful. Corruption and greed war with nobility and loyalty, and flawed characters make heartbreaking mistakes. One of Brust’s best books.
Jeff Stevens
It was good to finally understand what caused Adron's disaster, and to understand more of Aliera's background. From a Brust-completionist perspective, it was definitely worth reading. Beyond was fine. Good way to amuse myself.
Sean Martin
This was a hilarious, fun read. Brust does a great job of imitating Dumas' writing style without letting it get annoying, and it's fun to get backstory for the world of his Vlad Taltos novels.
Mary Lauer
Very good. I kindnd of had a hard time forcing myself to read it since I knew Adron's disaster would be the end of hte book. I look forward to the three books composing the Viscount of Adrilankha.
A worthy sequel to "The Phoenix Guards" as well as offering a key slice of history to avid readers of the Vlad Taltos novels, which are set another five hundred years after this one.
Every bit as good as I remembered it from my first reading more than 15 years ago. From the pompous narrator to the likable cast of characters, this is just so much fun!
I'm listening to the audiobook right now, is forgotten how awesome Aleiria is in this book, which is a surprise because she's pretty awesome in general.
See my review for Phoenix Guards. This one is almost as good as that one. The character development helps to get past the dialogue flourishes.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0312851790 2 11 Oct 05, 2013 08:54PM
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I
  • The Warrior's Tale (Anteros, #2)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Count Brass (Eternal Champion, #15)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • One King's Way (Hammer and the Cross, #2)
  • The Ships of Air (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #2)
  • The Waterborn (Children of the Changeling, #1)
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
  • Eagle-Sage (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #3)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)
More about Steven Brust...

The Khaavren Romances (5 books)
  • The Phoenix Guards (Khaavren Romances, #1)
  • The Paths of the Dead (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #1)
  • The Lord of Castle Black  (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #2)
  • Sethra Lavode (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #3)
Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1) Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2) Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4) Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5) Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)

“Chaler, who had finished his ale, left the cup where it was, making no effort to procure more, indicating that he was capable of what the natural philosopher calls "learning behaviour," which turn of phrase pleases us so much that we cannot resist making use of it.” 2 likes
“Aliera said, "You are a Jhereg."

Mario said, "You are the most beautiful woman who has ever lived, or ever will live, in the Empire or anywhere else."

"Well," said Aliera.

"I am," remarked Mario, "confronted by a difficult decision."

"Life seems to be full of them," agreed Aliera. "What is yours?"

"Whether to continue running for my life, or to stay here and look at you.”