Start by marking “Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes, #4; Preludes II, #1)” as Want to Read:
Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes, #4; Preludes II, #1)

Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes #4)

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  3,701 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Sent on a quest to find proof of the existence of the old gods, Riverwind is captured by the elves of the underground kingdom of Hest.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Riverwind the Plainsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riverwind the Plainsman

☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
The writing isn't quite up to the standard of Margaret Weis but there is some good character development (I particularly liked the gully dwarf Brud) and enough action to keep the narrative interesting. I think the story suffered from lack of planning; although it started quite well, as it progressed I felt as though the author himself wasn't quite sure what should happen next and some incidents didn't appear to have anything to do with the overall plot. There's also a section with very obvious F ...more
Graham
Apr 13, 2015 Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
I'm not sure why I rated these books so highly when I was a kid. They seemed amazing to me at the time; the prevalence of near-constant action probably helped. Unfortunately, looking at them as an adult bursts that nostalgic bubble, leaving these poorly-written and hopelessly cheesy.

RIVERWIND THE PLAINSMAN is the prequel story for the least interesting character in the original Dragonlance trilogy. Sadly Riverwind is no more interesting here than he was in those books; he's a wooden barbarian wi
Portia S
Aug 29, 2012 Portia S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Portia by: Ms. Boochoon
I got this from my literature teacher when she was throwing away some books. It was okay, it felt like the most boring book ever, they spent a lot of time wandering in an underground tunnel. An old elf who looks like a little girl falls in love with Riverwind. Sigh, very boring.
Tim
Jul 28, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
J.C. Cauthon
Jun 21, 2014 J.C. Cauthon rated it it was ok
This is, by far, one of my least favorite Dragonlance novels. I read it from the beginning to end when I was in high school, simply because it was part of the saga and I wanted the whole story. When I went back to write this review, I really could not remember anything about it, so I voluntarily reread it--for about one hundred pages.

This was the biggest bunch of drivel I've ever read. The descriptions go on and on and never really describe anything that we need to know. Also, I love cliffhanger
Lana
Aug 07, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
WOW a great book, one I am so glad to have read since Riverwind had always been a man in the background always supporting Goldmoon but this is a book all about this great hero, one who lived for his one true love and his belief in the old gods!! the story is full of adventure and magic, where we encounter a whole group of elf people living under ground all their lives, we meet great evil and courageous funny gully dwarfs, a black dragon and a magician trying to create life in lizardman by creati ...more
David
I'd like to state that this is a pretty good read, compared to the first Preludes series. It's meant to be for light reading so if you're not too nitpicky, the story is entertaining enough. It deals with Riverwind's courting quest for Goldmoon. The early parts are a bit slow and while the action picks up later on, the plot is somewhat implausible. But the characters involved are all interesting enough to still be able to carry the story. There are also some inaccuracy with regards to character a ...more
Monique
Looking back I really have no idea why I bought this book initially. Any books written by these authors I have always hated. I find they simplify everything, to the point where a 12 year old could read the book. The plot was nonsensical and jumped from place to place. There was no character development and the description in the book was nonexistent. I think I would have enjoyed reading a computer manual more then this novel. Unless you have some great love for self torture I would advise everyo ...more
Jim C
Aug 21, 2013 Jim C rated it liked it
My actual rating is 3.5 stars.

A book that takes place in the world of Dragonlance. This tells the story of Riverwind's quest to find evidence of the gods and win Goldmoon's hand. The first half of the book had a good idea but was a little slow. The second half of the book was fantastic and what one expects while reading Dragonlance. It contained plenty of action and tugged at the reader's emotions with the virtues that were displayed. I recommend this book for this reason. Just make sure you get
Nicole
Jun 23, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into it, about 100 pages, but once I did, I really got into it. The details and descriptions were able to paint a very vivid picture in my head. This is the first DragonLance novel I've read out of the many my uncle gave to me that he'd previously read. Definitely going to continue reading the Preludes II books and the rest of the DragonLance novels.
Philana Walker
Mar 05, 2009 Philana Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: adolescent-bliss
Riverwind and Goldmoon are two of my favorite characters. This story is fantastic. Riverwind is the social outcast and Goldmoon and her family self-proclaimed gods. Riverwind has to prove himself in order to win her hand. Talk about two mismatched lovers. But their story needs to be told to better understand their relationship later.
Brett McNew
May 04, 2012 Brett McNew rated it really liked it
The first 'full length' novel I ever read. It's not great. Honestly it should be more of three star book, but I don't have the heart to rate it any lower. As a kid it blew my mind, going back later, it was in step with the rest of the Dragonlance novels, but had some originality to it I felt.

Grateful that Waldenbooks and the cover grabbed my attention. It changed the direction of my life.
K.R. Cox
Dec 25, 2012 K.R. Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Hansen
Feb 24, 2013 Thomas Hansen rated it liked it
A tragic tale worth reading. It may be something I did not expect, or necessarily desire, but I did get into the story. I ended up liking it despite the unwanted outcome. Greatly written with many surprises. Worth reading.
Tara Calaby
I think this was the best DL book I've read since the first two trilogies and the Soulforge. So good. I've never been a huge fan of Riverwind, but I am now *G* Although, the character who "stole my heart" was Krago. I got all teary on the tram when *insert spoiler here*... Great book - read it *G*
Elar
Nov 10, 2014 Elar rated it it was ok
Story itself was really good one - new insights, action, leap of fates, but again it suffers for letting too much details slip and not inventing new ones. Almost all the little things which make up the awesome universe are taken and then exploited from main series.
Torco
May 21, 2012 Torco rated it liked it
A very good work of fantasy, has some numinous moments. Definitely worth a read if you've enjoyed the rest of the dragonlance books.
Brandon Bergeron
Nov 07, 2012 Brandon Bergeron rated it it was ok
This was the first dragonlance book I ever read. It was in a library after school when i was in either the 4th or 5th grade. Hard to remember exactly...
Argaen
Jun 27, 2012 Argaen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fue el primer libro de Dragonlance que leí, lo que lo sube por lo menos en una estrella en el rating.
Bert Janssens
Sep 16, 2014 Bert Janssens rated it liked it
The last part lifts the story to an acceptable level because it explains the return of the gods in the Dragonlance world but it's more a 2,5 stars.... I can't recommend it.
Katie Hanley
Katie Hanley rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Nathan Parks
Nathan Parks rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Em
Em rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2015
Peejay
Peejay rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2007
Jackson Riso
Jackson Riso rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2015
David R. Danielson
David R. Danielson rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Lathis
Lathis rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Dwight
Dwight rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Frank Neubecker
Frank Neubecker rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Galen Beknighted (Dragonlance: Heroes, #6, Heroes II, #3)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • The Cataclysm (Dragonlance: Tales II, #2)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • The Irda (Dragonlance: Lost Histories, #2)

Dragonlance: Preludes (6 books)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)