Start by marking “Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)

Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,929 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A talent for magic runs like fire through the blood of Dalamar Argent. Yet he is only a servant in the house of an elvish lord, not worthy of the High Art of Sorcery and denied all but the most grudging teaching.
As war simmers on the borders of Silvanesti, Dalamar will find a way to learn his art. His quest will take him along dark paths toward an awesome destiny.
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Dalamar the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dalamar the Dark

Anastasia
Jul 10, 2008 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'll just say it: dark elves are sexy, particularly when they fall into a beautifully conflicted role between good and evil. Dalamar was introduced in Legends as Raistlin's apprentice--already a strong mark in his favor--and as a dark elf from the Silvanesti lineage, the haughtiest of elven nations. This book tells the story of his life before that time, as part of the servant caste doomed to learn only scraps of magic begrudgingly shared. Like all the Dragonlance mages, Dalamar's true lov ...more
Jim C
Mar 10, 2016 Jim C rated it really liked it
This is part of the world of Dragonlance. This is the story about Dalamar before he becomes Raistlin's apprentice which was the first time we met him. Dalamar is essentially this world's antihero. He wears the black robes of magic but he isn't evil. He isn't wholeheartedly for the side of good either. Dalamar does what is good for him whether it serves good or bad and he is one of the more interesting characters in this world.

I am always apprehensive when a book tackles a character that we have
Craig
Apr 13, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Dalamar brings the pain. A hero of the ages that is actually fighting for the darkside. Everybody loves a good hero and every body wants to watch a villain take that hero and make them weep. These books are great that have happy endings and good feelings, but I'm sorry this is a dark elf who's fighting for a dark cause. Dalamar has always been my favorite character in a book ever since Dragons of a Fallen Sun and now he gets a book devoted to just him and his awesome self. Jump on in the waters ...more
Fco. Salvador
Tenía pocas esperanzas puestas en esta novela, porque justo antes había leído otro libro ambientado en el mundo de Dragonlance y escrito por la misma autora, Espada De Reyes, que me resultó un tostón con ínfulas. Debo reconocer que me vi sorprendido.

La historia no es para tirar tracas, pero está bien escrita y es entretenida. Se escapa, creo, de esa montaña de mediocridad que forman las novelas franquiciadas.

En primer lugar, en "Espada de reyes" la prosa de Berberick me pareció farragosa y afect
Emily White
Feb 10, 2014 Emily White rated it liked it
Shelves: dragonlance
This Dragonlance Classics book tells the story of Dalamar's youth in Silvanesti and his eventual calling to the dark arts. He is cast out of his Elven home and left on his own to pursue his fate. He goes to the Tower to be tested, and is willingly used by the leadership of the Tower to complete a task that would allow more than one person the revenge they seek. Berberick's telling is good although her characterization of Dalamar falls slightly short of his personality from what we know of him fr ...more
Brian
Something about the writing style that kept me from really getting into this one. I was quite bummed since Dalamar is one of my favorite characters. I will try again at some point.
Avaminn F'nett
May 23, 2016 Avaminn F'nett rated it liked it
I do like Dalamar (even though he never does anything evil) and enjoyed reading his backstory. The book wasn't poorly written by any means, but there were a lot of problems conflicting with the original Dragonlance books. For example, Kitiara Uth Matar is called Kitiara Majere. Raistlin, who has gold eyes with hourglass pupils, is described as having black eyes with hourglass pupils. (How could anyone possibly get Raistlin's eyes wrong? They're his most important feature!) Worst of all, the magi ...more
Rajca
Jun 03, 2016 Rajca rated it did not like it
Shelves: dragonlance, 2016
I rarely feel urge to say some words of discontent about books. Once I start reading a book I tend to finish it, Dalamar the Dark was not an exception. So what was exceptional? Its poor quality.

Dragonlance books, well - most of them, are cliché fantasy novels and my guilty pleasure. That said, Dalamar the Dark reached new heights of being repetitive, stereotypical and dull.
Storytelling is poor, there are so many errors - it's almost like author didn't ever read anything concerning DL world. It i
David
Apr 05, 2016 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasia
An awfull book. The book is bad, it has a lot off missing ideas and the accion is not well define. The main character (Dalamr) if forced to exist in the book, with a lot of incoherences in his and the dragonlace history.

This book could be recommended as a example of bad book around a great history
Brandi
Feb 21, 2016 Brandi rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and Dalamar is another of my favorite characters from this series. It was interesting to learn about this life before being an apprentice to Rastlin.
D M
Apr 13, 2012 D M rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
i started reading the Dragonlance books in the mid 80s and some are clearly better than others. i tend to be forgiving of narrative, character, and plot mishaps, because they all do one thing very well, advance the Dragonlance mythology.

Dalamar the Dark is not without it's issues but it does entertain. It provides the reader with the necessary background history of Dalamar and his motivations for becoming Raistlin's apprentice, and gives you another reason to hate those pompous Silvanesti elves.
Thieluar
Just like Laine says, this is mind candy. I really love any book that can make me feel like the character. So I can feel like a dark wizard myself ^-^
Nimrod Daniel
I read many years ago about 50 pages, which was more than enough.
ABANDONED LIST !
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Leigh Ann
Leigh Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Diego
Diego rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
M-rizky Adhitya
M-rizky Adhitya rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Nicholaus
Nicholaus marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Sonja Jackson
Sonja Jackson rated it liked it
Marion Larochelle
Marion Larochelle marked it as to-read
Alex Pich
Alex Pich rated it it was amazing
Jim Miller
Jim Miller rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Robin Smith
Robin Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Sep 13, 2016
Ascleppio
Ascleppio rated it it was amazing
Curtis Crutchfield
Curtis Crutchfield rated it really liked it
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was amazing
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
  • The Citadel (Dragonlance: Classics, #3)
  • Legacy of Steel (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #2)
  • The Dragons of Chaos (Dragonlance Dragons, #3)
  • Lord Soth (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #6)
  • The Silver Stair (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #3)
  • Alliances (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #2)
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • The Seventh Sentinel (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #3)
  • Spirit of the Wind (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #1)
  • Fistandantilus Reborn (Dragonlance: Lost Legends, #2; Forgotten Realms: Lost Gods, #2)
  • The Dark Queen (Dragonlance: Villains, #6)
  • The Siege of Mt. Nevermind (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #5)
  • Knights of the Rose (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #5)
  • Tears of the Night Sky (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #2)
  • The Swordsheath Scroll (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #3)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • Theros Ironfeld (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #4)
Nancy Varian Berberick is an American fantasy author well known for her work in the Dragonlance series. She has written 12 fantasy novels, eight of which have been in the Dragonlance saga, and numerous short stories. Her Wizards of the Coast biography mentions that she is fond of going through a thesaurus. She enjoys Beowulf, Norse mythology, and Orlando Innamorato.
More about Nancy Varian Berberick...

Dragonlance: Classics (4 books)
  • Murder in Tarsis (Dragonlance: Classics, #1; Forgotten Realms: Mysteries, #3)
  • The Citadel (Dragonlance: Classics, #3)
  • The Inheritance (Dragonlance: Classics, #4)