Start by marking “The Doom Brigade (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doom Brigade (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #1)

The Doom Brigade (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,792 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
War can get a fellow killed.

The fearless draconians of the War of the Lance have retired from the field of battle to a pleasant valley in the Kharolis Mountains. Well, it would be pleasant, if it weren't for some dwarves, whose irritating feuding prevents the draconians from realizing their greatest hope -- the ability to continue their doomed race. When the dwarves disco
Mass Market Paperback, 344 pages
Published March 1st 1998 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Doom Brigade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doom Brigade

David
Jan 31, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most fun books I have ever read. I didn't know any of the characters (apparently from a previous series) but the authors did a wonderful job of summarizing past events in a very entertaining fashion. I never felt that the summary was meant to be some type of lecture for the purpose of upbraiding me for not reading another series.

I won't be as entertaining here, but let me summarize..

Kang's brigade, following the war of the lance, has found itself building a nice little villa
Johnny
Apr 01, 2011 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Breaking my stereotypical feeling about the Dragonlance books as largely epic in plot but whimsical, silly, and illogical in the unfolding, The Doom Brigade is a delightfully self-contained story that takes place on the edges of the Dragonlance plots and touches on the results of the epic for two small sub-sets of survivors. By doing so, I didn’t find the silliness offensive or the characters to have the kind of Saturday morning cartoon quality I saw in the main storyline. In short, I was able t ...more
Winston
Jul 04, 2014 Winston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Alcoholic's Anonymous for Draconians

It's been a quarter-century since the War of the Lance. Having seen the product wrought by their incompetent, self-serving human commanders, Kang, Slith, Gloth and the rest of the First Dragonarmy Engineers have settled in Dwarven territory near the massive natural fortress of Thorbardin. Their days consist of repelling invading hill dwarves (apoplectic after having their sheep, bread, tools, weapons and Dwarf Spirits plundered), doing the same to the dwarves
Jim C
Sep 27, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
This takes place in the Dragonlance setting. This book deals with draconians and what becomes of them after the war is over. They settle into a village and are neighbors to dwarves. They are forced into a feud with these dwarves.

I liked the premise of this novel and it is an interesting concept of what happens to sentient beings whose sole purpose is waging war. What happens if there is no war? I thought the authors did a good job with the draconians and I felt empathy for them even though they
MEG Munro
Mar 02, 2015 MEG Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The authors have done it again.

This is the first information that takes place at the beginning of the Chaos war.
This book opens the door to what actually happened at the beginning of this terrible war.
The characters in this first book will surprise any readers that have kept up with the Dragonlance sagas. I have read them all and I can only STRONGLY recommend that anyone reading this review, remember to go back and enjoy them all.
These Chaos stories can be a stand alone series but remember to go
Tim
Sep 22, 2016 Tim rated it really liked it
It's been more than six months since I last read a Dragonlance novel. And I still have several tens of them to read. Anyway, continuing the Summer Flame era (after "Dragons Of Summer Flame"), "The Doom Brigade" is the first installment in the two-volumes series "Kang's Regiment".

Draconians (Kang and his gang) and dwarves live on the same plain, bugging each other a few times a year: dwarves stealing tools and stuff, the draconians stealing dwarf spirits. Since there's no war, the draconians have
Lana
May 24, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
a great read, as usual weis sense of humour is wonderful and she makes the reader love the characters she is writing about even when these happen to be draconians!! love the great adventure the mischievous dwarves and the kang regiment had in the depths of the mountain and the heroism of the draconians and their excitement at finding the eggs of the female draconians, the first we have ever heard of these!!
Rickk III
Sep 06, 2015 Rickk III rated it really liked it
Not the best book in the vast Dragonlance universe but still an entertaining read that lets you in details of what happened between some of the major releases. I have a soft spot for these sorts of books. If you like the Dragonlance books, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy this addition to the adventures on Krynn.
William Quest
Jul 25, 2014 William Quest rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fiction
I really enjoyed reading this classic tale of Krynn and don't know how I had missed it the first time around. It answered many questions that I had often wondered about. I think the best story feature is that it shows, even in a setting created for a role-playing game, there are no absolutes when it comes to race in regard to good and evil or chaos and law. It was refreshing to meet society-structured draconians that while they are not "good" per se, I would not deem them as "evil" either. Like ...more
Al Bokolor
Apr 23, 2016 Al Bokolor rated it really liked it
Another interesting story line with creative characters by Margaret Weis. Not a trilogy+ but a good read for sure!
Jess
Jun 01, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
This book is so good, it's draconic!
Ashton
May 07, 2014 Ashton rated it it was amazing
Most favorite
Thom
Mar 20, 2008 Thom rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the dragonlance series.
Another great addition to the dragonlance series. It is told completley from the perspective of the "bad guys" from the original trilogy. You find yourself loving them and cheering them on even knowing they tried to kill you favorite charecters in the first set of the series. A fantastic read by it's self, but you must read it just so you can read the second one in this set.
Edward Walsh
Sep 04, 2012 Edward Walsh rated it really liked it
Maybe not the tightest book I have ever read but certainly one of the most enjoyable. It is also quite refreshing that the draconian race get to be more than a 2D stormtrooper effect. Their characters are a little conventional but that makes the story faster and the jokes more enjoyable.
Kurt Vosper
Oct 11, 2012 Kurt Vosper rated it really liked it
Draconians trying to get away and just survive, since everyone on Krynn hates them, and continue their race. Racing against dwarves to find a vast treasure. The story gives a much better personality to the Dragonlance introduced villan.
Andrew
Aug 21, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it
Another childhood favorite- for those who weren't as cool as I was in the adolescent years, Draconians are like half-dragon people who spend their lives stomping the shit out lesser mortals and stealing beer. And adventuring!
Mars
May 22, 2014 Mars rated it really liked it
It's D&D-themed, it's entirely too obsessed with kenders, and it's silly, but despite the story being... well... the writing is quite good, and the whole thing is surprisingly entertaining.
Marco
Sep 08, 2012 Marco rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is not one of the main books of the dragonlance series, it is one of the many spin offs around it. This said, it is one of the most entertaining ones, and I strongly recommend it.
Nate
Mar 19, 2013 Nate rated it it was amazing
Read this book back when I was in high school, great to revisit old friends and memories. I sincerely wish there were more novels featuring Kang and the Draconians.
David
Nov 24, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Extremely fascinating, but i would definitely read some of the earlier books written by Weis to establish certain plot points. Outstanding wit and action sequences.
Travis Bughi
Sep 01, 2015 Travis Bughi rated it really liked it
This is the first dragonlance book I read and it really gave me a good grip on a lot of the background/history surrounding the world, not to mention it was a great read!
Patrick Leitzel
Aug 10, 2011 Patrick Leitzel rated it it was amazing
probably one of my favorite Dragonlance books (along with soulforge) and if you are into the dragonlance series already i definitly recommend it
Dario
Jan 21, 2009 Dario rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
just a random book I picked up in 6th grade. Considering the types of books I liked to read back then, I thought this book was okay
Mark Morales
Jul 07, 2008 Mark Morales rated it it was amazing
Crazy action! Great fantasy! Awesome adventure!!!!
Aarin
Oct 18, 2013 Aarin rated it it was amazing
Incredibly fun. I want to reread!
Jeremy
Aug 16, 2009 Jeremy rated it did not like it
I bought this based on the author and was very much let down. Very poor!
Ãmåñì Mãçhłåb
Ãmåñì Mãçhłåb rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2016
Valtteri
Valtteri rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
Vincent Hagman
Vincent Hagman is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Reavon
Reavon added it
Sep 18, 2016
  • The Last Thane (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #1)
  • Reavers of the Blood Sea (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #4)
  • The Siege of Mt. Nevermind (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #5)
  • Tears of the Night Sky (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #2)
  • Hammer and Axe (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #2)
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3)
  • The Clandestine Circle (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #1)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • Alliances (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #2)
  • The Seventh Sentinel (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #3)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment (3 books)
  • Drachennest (Die Erben der Drachenlanze, #3)
  • Draconian Measures (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #2)