Start by marking “Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)

Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  5,387 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Before the War of the Lance.

The Companions have gone their separate ways, each vowing to return with news of the growing darkness in Ansalon. Sturm Brightblade, a warrior whose honor is his life, and Kitiara, a passionate woman of uncertain loyalties, travel north in search of Sturm's long-lost father.

Before they reach their destination, a band of gnomes begs for their hel
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published September 28th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness and Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness and Light

Scott Asher
Dec 06, 2009 Scott Asher rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read. I don't care if, by comparison, it is derivative or obvious. It will always remain special to me.

I wasn't a reader. My father took me to the bookstore one summer day and said that I could pick out any book to read so I picked up this one (but the old cover with the pink borders). I wasn't sure I would even read it. But once I started I couldn't stop.

That summer I must have read more than 20 Dragonlance books (thank God for used book stores!) And since then
Graham
Sep 17, 2012 Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
A disappointing read, but then I wasn't expecting much - even the Weis/Hickman original Chronicles trilogy disappointed me when I read it again a few years ago, for the first time as an adult.

DARKNESS AND LIGHT, the first in the Preludes sub-series which tells of the early life of Sturm and Kitiara - is firmly pitched as a children's adventure story. Characterisation is nil - seriously, there's no character arc or development in the entire story! Sturm and Kitiara start out as exactly the same c
Jasher Drake
Mar 12, 2015 Jasher Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! If you want to see Sturm...
Herd cattle, fly to the moon, become king, fight tree-men, ride giant ants, adopt a young girl, buy raisins, see ghosts, have visions, use magic, cut off someones arm, change clothes, make a girl get angry at him, reject a helpless dragon, eat plants, lead a gnome mining expedition, unbutton a knight's tunic, get tricked by a wizard, get stuck in a storm, obtain super-fast healing powers and go sailing, this is the book for you!
NightAuditMan
Gnomish misadventure reigns supreme.
Alexander Faria
Mar 28, 2013 Alexander Faria rated it it was ok
bored
Book
Jan 23, 2016 Book rated it liked it
It is strange to read a book as a child and be thrilled with it, and then take it back into the hands after two decades and understand it in a completely different way. Or be very disappointed as this is the case with this book.

"Darkness and Light" by author Paul B. Thompson is the first book of the Preludes Trilogy that brings us back to the world of Krynn. The series is following the main characters introduced in the DragonLance Chronicles trilogy before the series begins - Kitiara who is fema
Jeff Yoak
The Chronicles and the Twins trilogy were among the first books I read. I decided to revisit the series and fill in with some of the many books written in the same universe as well as revisiting old favorites.

The problem is, though the integrity of the world is pretty much respected, it destroys the reality of the world to have epic stories contained in slices of the timeline I know that are otherwise just unmentioned.

The Chronicles begin after our heroes part for five years to search for signs
Jasmyn
Back to the world of Krynn in the first book of the Preludes Trilogy. The series follows the main characters from the DragonLance Chronicles trilogy in the years before the series starts. Darkness & Light follows Kitiara, the fiesty female mercenary, and Sturm Brightblade, the honorable Solamnic knight, as they set off on an adventure to find Sturm's home and family. A home which was ravaged and burnd when we was a small child, a family that has scattered to the winds. Along the way they run ...more
Nathan
Jan 22, 2012 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Dragonlance book I ever hated. So very disappointing. I had been reading Dragonlance books since the first three books had come out, had followed the Chronicles and the Legends, the Tales and the Heroes. Had even followed the second Tales and the second Heroes. And then I picked this one up. Cool amethyst cover. A story from the days before the Chronicles began. Sounded good to me.

It was terrible. Sorry, Paul, but really. Not only did it completely lack the Krynn / Dragonlance
J.C. Cauthon
Jun 21, 2014 J.C. Cauthon rated it liked it
This book is a hard one for me to review--as the book, itself, needs to be held accountable, and it needs to be judged by how it works within the entire Dragonlance series.

The book alone was amazing. Unlike the last several Dragonlance stories I have read, this one held my attention. So much amazing stuff happens between the first page and the last that it really is hard to put down. And that is a tough thing for any writer to accomplish--holding the attention of anyone outside your niche target
David
I liked Sturm and Kitiara very much in the Chronicles so I thought a book featuring both of them would be a very good read. Unfortunately I was wrong. It was turned out that the Sturm and Kitiara in this book were more stereotypical and have less depth than the ones written by Weis and Hickman. I didn't an epic-level story, but I didn't exactly expect comedy either. The authors didn't know what to expect either as it appears to be part epic and part comic. The first half of the book deals with t ...more
Theshrewedshrew
May 04, 2013 Theshrewedshrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragonlance
... It was kind of rough. I haven't ever read a book of dragonlance before. Or I have and its been so long I have forgotten.

I remember d&d... I always tend to play in a party of loose morals, and sharp knifes aimed at the back of other party members. Yes, we have had several Party members die due to "friendly fire" and yes, I really do mean fire. lol

So this book with the "Moral" Knight being the main character really makes me mad. I get a lot of the means, but I also completely understand t
nimrodiel
Nov 09, 2011 nimrodiel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Dragonlance world
I had a hard time getting into this one. Not because of the writing, it was a fantastic dragonlance story, and the setting was great (I've always wondered about the red moon Lunitari), however I think it is because the two main characters are ones that I did't really care for much from the original trilogy. Sturm Brightblade always seemed so stuffy, and was even more so in this book. I did enjoy reading how he found his father's armor and legacy. Kitiara I had trouble believing. Most likely bec ...more
Selena
Mar 11, 2012 Selena rated it did not like it
There's not much good to say about this book, unfortunately. The writing style is very juvenile and it has no continuity whatsoever. The events do not relate to each other in any way at all. Yes, it reveals story, but you could have made a bullet point list for the same effect without wasting time to read the flat text between. This book would have done much better if it had been presented as a series of short stories. Then each chapter could have been self-contained and still revealed all the s ...more
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it liked it
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Jim C
May 16, 2013 Jim C rated it it was ok
A book set in the dragonlance realm. Before the original core books, Sturm and Kitiara hit the road and have an intersting adventure with a bunch of gnomes. You would think with these characters this would be a good book. It wasn't. The characters are interesting but the adventure was a little far fetched and never captured me. The only thing that saved this book was the last 75 pages which was about a seperate adventure. If this plot was the whole book, this book would have been better. The onl ...more
Don
Nov 01, 2013 Don rated it it was ok
This book wasn't terrible, but it certainly didn't have that flow that most of the better DragonLance books have. The first 2/3 of the story followed a pretty good arc and I wish they'd just ended it there. No, they added the last third, which was supposed to "finish the tale". Instead it felt weird just tacked onto the end. I found myself considering stopping several times through, but it had just enough in terms of characters and storytelling to keep me from pulling the plug.

Like I said, not
Lana
Jul 22, 2016 Lana rated it really liked it
was strange reading the preludes after reading so many of the trilogies but was great to read about kitiara and sturm once again cause must admit I have missed the companions and look forward to reading the rest of the prelude set. the gnomes where great and crazy but the trip to lunitari seems to have been written under the influence of some hallucinogenic drug, it was way over the top and more than sheer fantasy!! seems that this was the end of the friendship of sturm and kitiara even though s ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
The hidden years between Sturm and Kitiara that for much of my time reading the Dragonlance stories I had no idea about, only secretive hints from other books. The setting was a bit more suddenly far-fetched than many another book, but perhaps that just helps play into the whole reason for these years being much more hidden than other hero's five years apart.
Lucas Rodriguez
Jan 03, 2014 Lucas Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Darkness and light is a good book for people who like fairytale books, books about knights (sometimes in shining armor), science fiction, and just out of the ordinary. It is about Kitiara and Strum going north, but along the way they meet some... peculiar friends. On the trip, they take a large detour. To the moon and back!
Kai
Mar 16, 2011 Kai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I loved the Gnomes!!! :D The were a fabulous addition to this book. I couldn't really empathise with either Sturm or Kitiara in this book.

A good read, but definitely not as good as the other DL novels.
Nathan Burgoine
May 18, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one much even when I was a Dragonlance nut. It's the story of Sturm and Kitiara before the story begins in the Chronicles trilogy, and it involves Gnomes, a rocketship to the red moon, and much more rather over-fantastic bits to the story that otherwise left me a little cold.
Ari
Nov 08, 2008 Ari rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragonlance
This was the fisr DL book I ever read, don't know why its what I picked. I remeber it taking em a long time and kinda enjoying it. Overall, going back to it, ehhh is all i can say. This hsitory between Strum and Kitiara was interseing but that was all. Not the biggest loss if you skip this.
Daniel
Jan 23, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: needs-replacing
The first Dragonlance book - and first fantasy tale - I ever read. I didn't know then that this was the start of a life time of reading.
Tim
Jul 28, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
copy-pasted from my Librarything account: At times a bit hard to get through, but overall this is a very nice book, though I had thought Sturm to be a bit stronger(-willed) towards the end.
Gabriela
Jun 17, 2009 Gabriela added it
Shelves: nope, dragonlance
Put it on hold for a while, after going through about 1/4 of it. I'm finding it hard to relate these characters with the ones I read on the Chronicles and Legends.
Tara Calaby
I was never a reader of epic fantasy... and then I discovered the Dragonlance books and never looked back.
Jay Szpirs
Dec 06, 2011 Jay Szpirs rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, garbage
Bar none, the worst book in this series. Perhaps there are worse fantasy books out there, but I doubt it.

Kevin J. Anderson's Star Wars books, maybe.

Maybe.
Flynn's
Jan 25, 2013 Flynn's rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
Read when I was young and it was one of the 2 novels I read that got me loving fantasy. I plan to re-read and go through the series, Preludes I & II.
Elar
Nov 01, 2014 Elar rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Story was childish - like Baron Münchhausen in Dragonlance universe. Too many details which characters did not know in later stories was used.
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • The Reign of Istar (Dragonlance: Tales II, #1)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)
  • Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1)
  • Steel and Stone (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #5)
  • Legacy of Steel (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #2)

Dragonlance: Preludes (6 books)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes, #4; Preludes II, #1)
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)