Start by marking “The Sweet Smell of Psychosis” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Smell of Psychosis

The Sweet Smell of Psychosis

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It looks like it is going to be quite a Christmas for Richard Hermes, a Christmas powdered with cocaine and whining with the white noise of urban derangement. Not so much enfolded, as trapped in the bosom of the nastiest, most venal media clique in London, Richard is losing it on all fronts.
Published May 15th 1997 by Trafalgar Square (first published November 21st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Smell of Psychosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Smell of Psychosis

Anthony Vacca
Jul 24, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anthony by: MJ Nicholls
Will Self's nasty little novella puns its title off of the American noir classic The Sweet Smell of Success (which, to my noir-loving shame, I have yet to watch), but goes down a much sleazier and anatomically repulsive rabbit hole (I assume) than any that Burt Lancaster or Tony Curtis went down in that flick.

Richard Hermes is a young reporter who falls under the thrall of Bell, a real villain of a media personality, and his cabal of sycophantic hack newsmen, all of who do double duty as his pe
MJ Nicholls
This is the most physically disturbing work by Will Self I've read (it actually made me semi-gag in places). Does that grab your attention?

Written in collaboration with tip-top cartoonist Martin Rowson, who provided a dozen or so ghoulish drawings, this is one of the most interesting little finds in Self's burgeoning oeuvre.

The story is almost atypically Self-ish, centring around a weedy hack desperate to claw his way into a subcultural journalistic elite in London (of course), and equally desp
Andrew Francis
Fans of Will Self’s characteristically very wordy and darkly comic writing style will enjoy this work. I enjoyed the quality of word-play and observational wit (reminiscent of Tom Sharpe) but didn’t find any of the characters sympathetic enough to feel strongly about this work. It’s a short and cleverly written and I would recommend it to readers who are not of a prudish constitution.
Lisa
A spectacular failure of the Bechdel test.
Carmilla Voiez
I loved Great Apes so I wanted to read more by Will Self. The Sweet Smell of Psychosis is a short read. It's about a journalist who becomes obsessed with the hub of a clique, a huge man called Bell. The novella has many funny moments and it is as confusing to read as it is to experience psychosis. Will Self is a master of prose. The reason I ranked it on the low scale was perhaps that I simply didn't get it. The story is about men. The only female character is merely an object of lust for the pr ...more
Jim
a less imaginative Martin Amis book with a lot more alliteration. the fish in the barrel meet the expected fate.

"Self is sometimes presented as a bad-boy outsider, writing, like the Americans William S Burroughs and Hubert Selby Jr, about sex, drugs and violence in a very direct way. Yet he is not some class warrior storming the citadels of the literary establishment from the outside, but an Oxford educated, middle-class metropolitan who, despite his protestations to the contrary in interviews,
Chris
Seedy satire. Not a pleasant read. Although the language is playful and poetic. (But Mr. Self’s writing usually is, even if that playfulness is sometimes overwhelmed by the implosive cynicism he’s having fun with.) Occasionally it’s maybe a bit too much (a typical sentence: “The apex of this pyramid of ephemera, ministered to by a pretentious priesthood, was the morning editorial meeting.”) Rarely is it too little (but: “The trip-hop tripped and hopped.”)

His cynicism can make for a tough read o
Dave
A near-perfect novella, and a great one for a commute to work. Minor man of letters in a drug-fuelled descent into contemporary London Hell. Beautifully written.
Kelly
The writing, as much as the story, is what makes this book perhaps worth reading. The author has a strong command of vocabulary.
Stacie
It is amazing how much fucked up-ness one can fit in so few pages. Great writing...fucked up characters...good times.
Guy
Geïllustreerde novelle van Brits societyfiguur Will Self, en meteen ook het eerste dat ik van hem las. Door de verwijzing naar 50s classic The Sweet Smell Of Success meteen al een mediasatire, maar dan van de vunzige soort. Richard Hermes is een van de vele pseudo-journalisten die in een smerig, zondenrijk Londen aan de kost geraakt zijn en zich binnen probeert te charmeren in het kliekje vleeszakken rond tv-persoonlijkheid (oxymoron-alarm) Bell, een clubje hielenlikkers dat zich op regelmatige ...more
Karen
Starts well but gets mundane. Feels like an interesting satirical insight at first but loses its cutting edge quickly even though it's the slimmest volume I've read since Jean Rhys. Slightly reminiscent of Tom Sharpe except Tom Sharpe is more entertaining. I always feel like Will Self has something to say about the comedy and bitterness of life but it sometimes outsatirises itself.
Jeffrey Bumiller
My god, what a disaster. I can't believe that this is the same guy who wrote the very interesting, Psycho Too, a great book about what the Lettrist International termed, Psychogeography.

The writing is so bad, and so over-wrought. In this book Will Self writes like a poor man's William S. Burroughs, and it is extremely glaring (see the lone female character whose name, Bentley, closely resembles that of Burroughs' Dr. Benway.)

I imagine this is the same kind of writing that would appeal to fans o
Ned Thacker
A slim, quick read: fast-paced, revelling in the more obscure corners of the English language, spraying venom in all directions, as in his description of a barful of journalists of the frothier variety: "They trafficked in the glibbest, slightest, most ephemeral cutural reflexivity, enacting a dialogue between society and its conscience that had all the resonance of a foil individual pie dish smitten with a paperclip."
Paul Blakemore
I'm not sure the term novella even applies here: it feels like a shaggy dog story or even just a 90 page set up to a vulgar joke.

It manages to be playful (in a grim and utterly sardonic way) as well as obscene at the same time. The people, events and even the vocabulary itself seem to revel in their own gratuity. I just didn't see the worth in delving into such a seedy and mean-spirited world.
Rob Mentzer
Sort of funny. Basically an 85-page wind-up to a punchline. Luckily it does not take very long to read. I pretty much liked it but will probably forget about it tomorrow.
Nigel
Grotesque and amusing in parts. Overall it didn't do much for me.
Becky Walker
Self at his unsettling best.
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jacob Seager
Jacob Seager marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Stephany Mae
Stephany Mae marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Chris Eckersley
Chris Eckersley marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Madi
Madi marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Nov 21, 2014
Maren Carlsen
Maren Carlsen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Clear: A Transparent Novel
  • Soft
  • The Life of a Useless Man
  • J.G. Ballard Conversations
  • On Elegance While Sleeping
  • Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre
  • Asylum Piece
  • You'll Have Had Your Hole
  • Success
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
William Self is an English novelist, reviewer and columnist. He received his education at University College School, Christ's College Finchley, and Exeter College, Oxford. He is married to journalist Deborah Orr.

Self is known for his satirical, grotesque and fantastic novels and short stories set in seemingly parallel universes.
More about Will Self...
Great Apes The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future How the Dead Live The Quantity Theory of Insanity My Idea of Fun