Start by marking “The Book of Leaves: A Leaf-by-Leaf Guide to Six Hundred of the World's Great Trees” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews

Of all our childhood memories, few are quite as thrilling, or as tactile, as those of climbing trees. Scampering up the rough trunk, spying on the world from the cool green shelter of the canopy, lying on a limb and looking up through the leaves at the summer sun almost made it seem as if we were made for trees, and trees for us.Even in adulthood, trees retain their power,

Published November 1st 2010 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Leaves

Vicki
This book is really visually appealing, and very cleanly laid out. Perhaps for the serious field adventurer, it might not be quite what you're looking for. But the photography is sharp and clean, and the layout is intuitive and informative. I liked just flipping through this one -- it's really stunning.
Yuki
I enjoy identifying trees by their leaves, but a few pages in I felt I was missing the examples of bark and bloom as well. This is a good supplementary resource. I had no idea of the variety of oak trees around the world.
Tracey King
This book is very clear and easy to use, with it's very visual pages identifying each leaf. However if is not a book for backpacking with as it is very heavy but great to use with a cup of tea and a pile of leaves to identify.
Andrew
Why no evergreen needles? White pines have cool leaves!
Dieter Vanhalme
Dieter Vanhalme marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Mary Lattke
Mary Lattke marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Sarah added it
Sep 15, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Ewa Cwirko-godycka
Ewa Cwirko-godycka is currently reading it
May 23, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012
Cliff Davis
Cliff Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
molly
molly added it
Oct 13, 2012
Alloyd48
Alloyd48 marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Whatwhenwhere
Whatwhenwhere marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Kurisutaina
Kurisutaina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Hello_lindsey
Hello_lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2011
Allen Coombes is Botanist at the Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, UK, where his special interest is Quercus (oaks).
His publications include DK Eyewitness Handbook Trees and RHS Practical Guide Trees for Small Gardens.

He frequently writes articles for periodicals such as The Plantsman, The Garden and Kew Magazine. Allen resides in Hampshire.
More about Allen J. Coombes...
The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks) Dictionary of Plant Names Monetary Stability and Economic Growth: A Dialog Between Leading Economists The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Trees & Shrubs Small Trees