Start by marking “The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)

The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  878 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Summer of Chaos has ended. Ansalon's nightmare has only just begun.
The gods have departed the world, heralding a new Age of Mortals. But before the dust of war can settle, vast shadows cover the land. Dragons have come to Ansalon, larger and more powerful than any ever seen, and they will wreak havoc on nations still trembling from war. As the lands themselves begin t
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Dawning of a New Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dawning of a New Age

Shanna
The war is over, the world of Ansalon is trying to rebuild and pull itself back together. Magic has disappeared, as well as the Gods, making this the New Age of Mortals. A select few of the strongest most terrifying dragons swoop in while the world is still so fragile, they proclaim their dominance and control over the land. Death and destruction follow. A new unexpected group of heroes band together to fight this seemingly new war against evil and the dragons. Will they be able to work together ...more
Ivanesca
This book is the reason why I don't read any Dragonlance books not witten by Weis and/or Hickman.
Shannon Appelcline
This book's biggest problem is that it tries to entirely bridge the gap following the Summer of Chaos. Thus we got confusing interrelations with the previous novel, following by a long span when there's no clear protagonist, as 90 pages go by. The story only really starts after that.

Beyond that, the writing feels unpolished, and the romantic dialogue is particularly bad. I'm also not convinced by the super-villain evilness of the dragon overlords. However, the book also reads quickly and has som
Tama Wise
I hold the original 6 Dragonlance books close and dear to my heart, having read them as a teenager. I didn't even think that the Chaos War book, which was written a long time after by the original authors was all that bad a sequel either. Then came the next 3 books. I thought to myself after reading half of the first, if this is what the original Dragonlance books are like, then I never want to reread them. Instead cling to my tender memories.

Dawning of a New Age is set between the original book
Theddy Blanc
When I read this book in middle school, I went nuts. Giving a much closer read several years later, I found that it wasn’t nearly the masterpiece I believed it to be. This book was about a world in which the Gods abandoned mankind and Dragons rise against humans with only a sloppy band of heroes to save the day. The story was well thought out and was moderately creative in the way of fantasy fiction. The characters were colorful and had the ability to engage the reader and the language was mildl ...more
Jennifer Kibble
This book didn't click for me. Maybe I shouldn't have read Dawn of Summer Flame right before reading The Dawning of a New Age. Seems to me, that only a few authors can really capture the Dragonlance universe.

This book did start to take off near the end, so hopefully the second and third book in this series are better than the first.
Nick
The Dawning of a New Age is the first book in "The Fifth Age" series in the Dragonlance Universe. This is my first experience with books: a) not written by Weis and Hickman and b) outside of the "classic" series of the books. My response: average. The story contained all of the requisite swordplay, magic and intrigue, but let's face it, Dhamon does not as of yet have the breadth of a character like Sturm, Tanis or Caramon.[return][return]The Dragonlance series is my siren song. If I am looking f ...more
Tonari
Ci ho provato, ma non ci sono riuscito. A 13 anni da "I draghi dell'estate di fuoco" ho voluto continuare il discorso dove l'avevo lasciato. Sono arrivato a metà, ma non ce l'ho fatta.
L'idea di base è carina (anche se immagino sia stata realizzata sotto precise direttive della TSR), ma personaggi insulsi e enormi buchi logici (come anche la solenne buffonata del concilio dei maghi) mi hanno allontanato sempre più dalla storia.
Magari salterò direttamente alla Guerra delle Anime.
Marco
The Ansalon of the new age trilogy is dramatically different from the classic one featured in the previous trilogies by Weis and Hickman. There is really little in common, and this will probably put off every classic Dragonlance fan. This said, the book is quite entertaining, and a pleasure to read. I liked the effort of the author in trying to be inclusive. The book features a diverse set of characters of different ethnicity and with disabilities.
carnival
During the lecture I had a suspicious feeling that the book wasn't written to amaze or interest the reader but... just to be written. It's hard to find more typical fantasy with such unoriginal and vague characters. As always, we have an expedition, a brave young hero, dangerous enemies and a final battle.
It may be bearable to read if you are bored and you have only cooking book as an alternative.
Well - I must have been really bored.
David
A great series. New characters mixed with old. New magic and the dragon overlords. Creation of the dragon spawn. Ancient magic and artifacts. This book and series really drew me and made me enjoy and care what was happening on Krynn.
Michael Ware
Decent story about a big fat dragon killing other dragons. I think this was an attmept to resuscitate the series. A good way to pass the time and an enjoyable read, but not the epic I was expecting.
Paraskevi Oppio
Not as good as the Chronicles or Legends, it was just okay.
Alexander Faria
interesante pero le falto
Matt
I thought it was a good book
Patricia S.
Patricia S. marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Kevin
Kevin added it
May 19, 2015
Leon
Leon marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Abendstern
Abendstern marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Forrestt
Forrestt marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Girish Mani
Girish Mani marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • Spirit of the Wind (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #1)
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • The Medusa Plague (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #2)
  • Lord of the Rose (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #1)
  • The Clandestine Circle (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #1)
  • Heroes and Fools (Dragonlance Tales of the Fifth Age, #2)
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • Knights of the Sword (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #3)

Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age (3 books)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • The Eve of the Maelstrom (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #3)
Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3) The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2) Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3) The Eve of the Maelstrom (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #3) Downfall (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #1)