Start by marking “Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family” as Want to Read:
Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Ninety-nine percent of the time the world spins like a top, the skies are clear, and your refrigerator is full of milk and cheese. But know with certainty that the world is a dangerous place. Storms rage, fires burn, and diseases spread. No one is ever completely safe. Not you. Not your children. We all live as part of a very complex ecosystem that is unpredictable and wil ...more
Published July 9th 2010 by Createspace

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

This book has a ton of useful information, but it falls flat because it assumes certain things about the reader that aren’t necessarily accurate:

1. You live in a house.
2. You own the house you live in.
3. You’re a dude. (The author doesn’t explicitly say “Hey, gents,” but there are several times when he seems to forget that women could also be reading this book and appears to be addressing men directly. This doesn’t take away from the information he’s providing, I just find it annoying.)

I live i
This book has a lot of useful information but I didn't really like the way it was organized.
Sheryl Stinchcum
"Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family" offers an encompassing overview of how to survive and cope with disasters--natural and man-made.

Arthur Bradley takes a logical approach without bordering on hysteria. He reasons that the type of disaster you might face could depend upon where you live. For example, if you live on the coast, you would be more concerned with hurricanes than other types of disasters.

In the event of a disaster, Bradley makes you think about how you would
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
An excellent, balanced, practical guide to preparing for and surviving disasters. The first half of the book is the most useful - I skimmed the latter half as some of it wasn't particularly relevant or useful to me such as radiological hazards, firearms and I have better resources for first aid. It is US-biased so some of the resources listed, mentions of NOAA weather radio etc aren't applicable outside the US but overall it's applicable in all countries and well worth a read. The author doesn't ...more
one of the best books of this type I have read.
Dec 21, 2011 Trace marked it as to-read
2012 Booklist
Jesse added it
Nov 19, 2015
Sadie added it
Nov 18, 2015
Jonledon marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Heather Turiello
Heather Turiello marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Hani marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Brady marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Glen Hearell
Glen Hearell marked it as to-read
João Balsa
João Balsa marked it as to-read
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Lisalealea marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets &Parents
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • Essential Bushcraft
  • Doomsday Diaries
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • National Geographic Complete Survival Manual
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Camping and Woodcraft: A Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
Events have made me who I am, neither a hardcore survivalist nor an all-trusting soul. I am a Boy Scout in the truest sense of the word—dedicated to family, country, and good citizenship. As you may already know, an enabling element of those ideals is being prepared.

It took the horrific events of 9/11 to wake me from my routine complacency. In one single moment, I came to realize that our world is
More about Arthur T. Bradley...