Start by marking “A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time” as Want to Read:
A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time

A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time (Magic Tree House #44)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series--the Magic Tree House!
Jack and Annie's mission from Merlin the Magician? To help the famous writer Charles Dickens! In a magical whirl, the brother and sister are whisked back in time to Victorian England and the foggy streets of London.
There, Jack and Annie discover that Cha
Published September 14th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time

midnightfaerie
Nov 14, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
They meet Dickens! I love being able to share this story with my son! My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really we ...more
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This a good book to read. The simple plot is amazing and so are the ideas. It is also cool for I read this at December 24 in my time. :) I'm really hyped up on the Christmas Holidays! I might read A Christmas Carol soon. :)

Plot Summary:

Jack and Annie are back for another mission for Merlin- to bring happiness to others by helping four creative people give their special gifts to the world. They already helped three people- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in Moonlight on the Magic Flute, Louis Armstron
Sanjana Rajagopal
I read this during a car ride and finished it in 20 minutes out of pure boredom and a desire to read after a week of not being anywhere close to a book. It was an ok read for a kid I guess, but I don't like how these kind of histories gloss over very important details, like the fact Queen Victoria may have been Britain's "glorious" 100 year gem, but that didn't stop her from colonizing India and allowing colonization across the world. Yes, I know it's not something children may understand or hav ...more
Kristin Pierce
Sep 19, 2010 Kristin Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are for younger readers but the cover is gorgeous! I loved the book and would recommend it to early readers. My children have loved the series. I just may read some more!
SarahC
Dec 11, 2010 SarahC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special
This is the fourth of a particular set of missions of Jack and Annie which introduce them to famous creative people in history. These are a continuation of the Treehouse series aimed at the middle grade elementary reader. They are very readable, and although fairly shallow, the do introduce of lot of history, science, societies, and historical figures. Don't forget the Research Guides that accompany many of the regular volumes in the series.

Here in A Ghost Tale, Jack and Annie meet Charles Dicke
Harnoop Kaur
Max
Feb 11, 2015 Max rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time was written by Mary Pope Osborne. It’s 111 pages long. It’s a fantasy book.

Jack and Annie went up to their tree house because they knew they had another mission. They have to go to London and teach Charles Dickens his gift to the world. When they arrived Annie had to pretend to be a boy so she had comfortable cloths. They asked around to where Mr. Dickens house was then they found it. They pretended to be chimney sweeps so they can get inside. When they got inside
Joshua Delos reyes
Made me want to read more from Charles Dickens!

Other than that, I recommend that--since this is a children's book--parents should give this as presents! Or even to other children for the following reasons:

1. It talks a lot about poverty. I was surprised how good this book was! It talks a lot about how children and other poor people suffered in the Victorian Era;
2. Emphasizes the importance of giving to those who are unfortunate; and
3. It is a mix of Dickens' life and his A Christmas Carol

Overall
Lacy Lovelace
Dec 15, 2015 Lacy Lovelace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Magic Tree House books growing up! The one that I read and owned was "Mummies in the Morning." I decided that since it was close to Christmas time and I needed to read more 5th grade/ 6th grade friendly books then I would try this one out. I definitely loved it! Mary Pope Osbourne has a great way of sucking you into a story. I felt bad for Jack and Annie when they would go through being poor or being accused of being thieves. I was ready for them to complete their mission and get out of ...more
Jaret
May 05, 2015 Jaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
This was a fun episode in the Magic Tree House series. A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite holiday stories and in this story Jack and Annie help Charles Dickens create the plot. I love how Osborne described the contrast between rich and poor in Victorian England. I wish she would have had time to go even more in depth, but it was written for the short attention span of children. The best part of the story, in my opinion, was when Jack and Annie were shown the power an author has to help chan ...more
Jenn M
May 15, 2014 Jenn M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Charles Dickens, and this Magic Tree House episode takes Jack and Annie back to Victorian England and the times of Charles Dickens. This book is one of the four stories where Jack and Annie have been challenged to help four artists to "share their hearts with the world." (The three books prior to this one contain the stories of the other three artists: Mozart, , and .)

I liked this story because it makes readers aware of the plight of the poor, working-class in England at the beg
Ms. Yingling
Jack and Annie get sent to Victorian London to help Charles Dickens, in the same way that they helped Mozart, Louis Armstrong, and Lady August Gregory (who collected Irish legends). Unless they help, he won't write his most enduring work, A Christmas Carol. Disguising themselves as well-to-do boys, they try to get an audience with Dickens, but are sent away. They trade clothes with chimney sweeps and get into Dickens house. They follow him out into the town and are accused of a crime because the ...more
Theresa
Oct 28, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time is #44 in the Magic Tree House series. In this story, Jack and Annie are on a Merlin Mission back to help Charles Dickens give his special gift to the world. They are transported by to Victorian England. When they arrive, they are dressed as two young gentlemen (Annie did not want to wear a hoopskirt again). To get into Charles Dickens house they must trade outfits with chimney sweeps. They soon see how different life is for the poor opposed to the rich. After Mr. ...more
Lily
This book was a lot of fun to read, I'm really glad to have read it. Jack and Annie's adventure is exciting as always, and even had some surprises!

What I really loved about the story was how they met Charles Dickens, and that Jack PLAYED A MAGIC VIOLIN. A MAGIC. VIOLIN. ADSJFBHKJDSFHDSJFHDSAHSKADBHS///////////// *dies* (No spoilers there.)

There's also a lot good morals to learn from this book, like doing what is right, be kind to others who are less fortunate than you, not judge people by how th
Danielle
***before we read the book*** I was looking for a christmas themed beginning reader to try to get my son a little more interested in books. He has autism and likes reading, but he always chooses picture books with very few words, and part of this is the autism and part of this is that he is comfortable reading those types of books because they are in his comfort zone. I picked this book up along with the companion, hoping we can expand his horizons.

***after we read the book*** We and when i say
Dolly
Dec 29, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We haven't read a Magic Tree House story for awhile now. We'd read the entire series and were waiting for this Christmas story to arrive. I bought it a few months ago, but it was a Christmas present for our girls, so I had to wait, too.

We fell right back into the series, as easily as if we'd never left. The characters, plot line and settings were like old friends. We delved into this story and enjoyed it immensely. I found it to be ironic that in another book I'm reading, the character (a write
Marlee
Feb 23, 2015 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book aloud to my children, ages 10 and 7, and they both enjoyed it. I liked that there were facts and even activities suggested after the story itself. For an adult, these books can sometimes be a little dull. However, sharing them with children, they are a lot of fun. Jack and Annie are great children to read about, and each book opens up new opportunities for learning and exploring.
Shawn
Mar 30, 2016 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie went to the tree house and went to help Charles Dickens and they have a magic violin.When they got to Victorian London they got in a cab/stagecoach and went and meet a family and they got some shoes and they got chased by a mob (because they think that Jack stole a green bag) and Charles stopped them and the 3 went to a resterant and Jack and Annie ate weird food
Braden
Feb 03, 2015 Braden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought is was okay. I read A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time. The author is Mary Pope Osborne. It is a realistic fiction. it has 110 pages. The two main characters are Jack and Annie. It is in England.The theme of this book is to help charles start writing books again. When they helped charles. When they made ghosts to make charles write books again. I liked the book a lot and I think you should read it too!
Shelby
Sep 07, 2015 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4 and 7 yr olds love this series. I am enjoying reading and listening to this series with them. But this one in particular was really good. I couldn't tell where it was going to go (sometimes it's quite predictable, and that's ok, it's aimed at kids, not adults!). And I liked the message and historical perspective.
Karen
Jul 28, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book, and I did think it introduced children to rather a difficult topic -- poverty -- but the story was not as delightful as some Magic Tree House books. I do think it is possible to be both serious and entertaining. A slightly lighter touch might have worked better here.
Lance
Dec 24, 2014 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the part when the 3 ghosts came because they told Charles Dickens his past, present and future.

I also like the characters. They were interesting to read

I like going on an adventure with Jack and Annie.

I would recommend this to people that like learning and adventures.
Catherine
This is the only book in the Magic Tree House Series that I have read with my daughter. I would perhaps enjoy them more if I started at the beginning.
Also, despite the title and being marked as a Christmas book by my library, I didn't find it very seasonal.
Mrs.Hill Hill
Feb 20, 2014 Mrs.Hill Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by my daughter who knows I teach A Christmas Carol every year- well worth the quick read as Osborne aptly adds in details from Dickens' life as his motivation for writing. Take care of yourself. Take care of this place. Take care of each other.
Leto
Feb 12, 2016 Leto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it had very many joyous parts in it. It teaches how to be polite and how to not be cruel or mean.

The book was about Jack and Annie helping Charles Dickens get writing again before he could stop writing. They knew that he loved writing so they kept him at writing.

One sad part was that children in that time were least cared for and worked in factories and they got a penny for every day, which was not good.

Jack and Annie were first mistaken as little chimney work
Mindy
Dec 10, 2015 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy-to-read book with plenty of action in the plot to keep a young reader engaged. I love how the author introduces her young readers to literary figures and historical moments (in this case Charles Dickens in Victorian London) in an approachable manner. Jack and Annie are positive role models. G and I enjoyed reading this for Christmastime.
Daniel
Feb 03, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids are into this series right now, decided to read it. Pretty good. Clever story about how they inspire Dickens to write A Christmas Carol. Joshua was most excited about how the action takes place near Regent's Park.
Nathaniel
It was interesting. They were trying to get Charles Dickens to write more books. They remembered a certain book "A Christmas Carol" and then they used the same trick on Charles Dickens to get him to write more books.
Rachel
These are very good books for early readers, but I just don't love them as much as I have enjoyed other early grade school level books. There were drops in the plot that I had to flip back through and try to figure out what I missed (I never found it though). This is the first *official* chapter book that Roan has read to me. Proud of him, and I hope he keeps trucking along. He doesn't love to read as much as his big brothers do, so it can be a challenge at times!
Heather Jo
Aug 01, 2016 Heather Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meggie-list
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Revenge of the Dragon Lady (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #2)
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • Maximum Ride Boxed Set #1
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • March Of The Ankylosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #3)
  • Fishy Field Trip (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #18)
  • Claudia the Accessories Fairy (Rainbow Magic: The Fashion Fairies, #2)
  • Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine
  • The Littles and the Great Halloween Scare
  • Miss Suki Is Kooky! (My Weird School, #17)
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“Oh, man," said Jack. "Everyone was nice to us when we looked rich. Now it feels like the whole world's against us.” 14 likes
“Charles is going to be fine," said Annie.
"Yep," said Jack with a smile. "He never even knew that it was us who helped him."
"That's the best way to help someone, I think," said Annie.
"Why?" asked Jack.
"Then you know you're not helping them just to get a lot of credit," said Annie. "You're helping because it's the right thing to do.”
12 likes