A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time

A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time (Magic Tree House #44)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series--the Magic Tree House!
Jack and Annie's mission from Merlin the Magician? To help the famous writer Charles Dickens! In a magical whirl, the brother and sister are whisked back in time to Victorian England and the foggy streets of London.
There, Jack and Annie discover that Cha...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time

midnightfaerie
They meet Dickens! I love being able to share this story with my son! My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really we...more
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This a good book to read. The simple plot is amazing and so are the ideas. It is also cool for I read this at December 24 in my time. :) I'm really hyped up on the Christmas Holidays! I might read A Christmas Carol soon. :)

Plot Summary:

Jack and Annie are back for another mission for Merlin- to bring happiness to others by helping four creative people give their special gifts to the world. They already helped three people- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in Moonlight on the Magic Flute, Louis Armstron...more
Kristin Pierce
These are for younger readers but the cover is gorgeous! I loved the book and would recommend it to early readers. My children have loved the series. I just may read some more!
SarahC
This is the fourth of a particular set of missions of Jack and Annie which introduce them to famous creative people in history. These are a continuation of the Treehouse series aimed at the middle grade elementary reader. They are very readable, and although fairly shallow, the do introduce of lot of history, science, societies, and historical figures. Don't forget the Research Guides that accompany many of the regular volumes in the series.

Here in A Ghost Tale, Jack and Annie meet Charles Dicke...more
Jenn M
I'm a big fan of Charles Dickens, and this Magic Tree House episode takes Jack and Annie back to Victorian England and the times of Charles Dickens. This book is one of the four stories where Jack and Annie have been challenged to help four artists to "share their hearts with the world." (The three books prior to this one contain the stories of the other three artists: Mozart, , and .)

I liked this story because it makes readers aware of the plight of the poor, working-class in England at the beg...more
Ms. Yingling
Jack and Annie get sent to Victorian London to help Charles Dickens, in the same way that they helped Mozart, Louis Armstrong, and Lady August Gregory (who collected Irish legends). Unless they help, he won't write his most enduring work, A Christmas Carol. Disguising themselves as well-to-do boys, they try to get an audience with Dickens, but are sent away. They trade clothes with chimney sweeps and get into Dickens house. They follow him out into the town and are accused of a crime because the...more
Theresa
A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time is #44 in the Magic Tree House series. In this story, Jack and Annie are on a Merlin Mission back to help Charles Dickens give his special gift to the world. They are transported by to Victorian England. When they arrive, they are dressed as two young gentlemen (Annie did not want to wear a hoopskirt again). To get into Charles Dickens house they must trade outfits with chimney sweeps. They soon see how different life is for the poor opposed to the rich. After Mr....more
Lily
This book was a lot of fun to read, I'm really glad to have read it. Jack and Annie's adventure is exciting as always, and even had some surprises!

What I really loved about the story was how they met Charles Dickens, and that Jack PLAYED A MAGIC VIOLIN. A MAGIC. VIOLIN. ADSJFBHKJDSFHDSJFHDSAHSKADBHS///////////// *dies* (No spoilers there.)

There's also a lot good morals to learn from this book, like doing what is right, be kind to others who are less fortunate than you, not judge people by how th...more
Danielle
***before we read the book*** I was looking for a christmas themed beginning reader to try to get my son a little more interested in books. He has autism and likes reading, but he always chooses picture books with very few words, and part of this is the autism and part of this is that he is comfortable reading those types of books because they are in his comfort zone. I picked this book up along with the companion, hoping we can expand his horizons.

***after we read the book*** We and when i say...more
Dolly
Dec 29, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We haven't read a Magic Tree House story for awhile now. We'd read the entire series and were waiting for this Christmas story to arrive. I bought it a few months ago, but it was a Christmas present for our girls, so I had to wait, too.

We fell right back into the series, as easily as if we'd never left. The characters, plot line and settings were like old friends. We delved into this story and enjoyed it immensely. I found it to be ironic that in another book I'm reading, the character (a write...more
Mrs.Hill Hill
Recommended by my daughter who knows I teach A Christmas Carol every year- well worth the quick read as Osborne aptly adds in details from Dickens' life as his motivation for writing. Take care of yourself. Take care of this place. Take care of each other.
Nathaniel Mckenzie
It was interesting. They were trying to get Charles Dickens to write more books. They remembered a certain book "A Christmas Carol" and then they used the same trick on Charles Dickens to get him to write more books.
Seth
Charles Dickens wrote a Christmas carol! Jack and Annie's mission was to help Charles give gifts to the world. Jack and Annie acomplished there mission.
Mischa
This time Jack and Annie had to help Charles dickens give his gifts to the world. A girl named mischa 6 yr old.
Stephanie
I picked this title up for my collection of Christmas books as The Magic Treehouse books are always so popular with the students I work with and I had yet to read one. This book follows the familiar Magic Treehouse formula of the main characters traveling to a place (and time) adding a little made up adventure with a little history. This time Annie and Jack traveled to London to help Charles Dickens in a way that helps inspire him to write A Christmas Carol. It was a quick read, cute, and I like...more
Patti Korbet
As it is with most of the Magic Treehouse books, we learned a bit of history and other lessons along the way. I tend to get weepy when I read these stories to my kids and now my daughter notices. If you were moved by A Christmas Carol, you'll love this mission. I'm glad we took a little Jack and Annie break. It gave Mary Pope Osborne time to write more stories. Now we've got several more to read, whereas last year, we were nearly done with the series. It's been a great ride in the treehouse and...more
JJ Burroughs
I like this book because it has slimy green frogs. My sisters like reading your books and are on Book 30. I like reading them now too.I enjoy to read your books.Do you like to write books?
Bhavi Kanugo
it is utterly amazing!!!!
Brittany
Jack and his little sister Annie are two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania... until they discover a mysterious tree house full of all sorts of books. From that point on their lives will never be the same again! They soon go on amazing adventures (plus children are learning bits of history and most don't realize it) as they travel through time with the help of the magic tree house. The chapters are short with pictures every few pages, making these books perfect for the beginning reader....more
Leigh
Audience: 3rd - 5th Grades

Appeal: Both of my sons loved to read these books, so I chose to read this one for our first class. Being a fan of Charles Dickens, I have always enjoyed reading and seeing "A Christmas Carol" performed. This book is a good way to introduce younger students to Charles Dickens as long as they understand that this is a fiction book and not based on fact. I was not comfortable with the idea of the ghosts coming from the kids instead of Charles Dickens himself.
Melissa
For my personal reading experience, I gave this book 3 stars. It is well-written and interesting and it makes sense that these books are ones that kids enjoy and adults are happy to encourage kids to read. If I were rating it based on its own merit only, and not according to how well I liked it personally, I'd give it 4 to 4.5 stars. I enjoyed learning a bit about Charles Dickens, and particularly the Victorian society and historical setting.
Katie
I usually rate these books a 3... I mean, the writing isn't spectacular and the stories are a bit formulaic, but they work well to introduce young children to history and other cultures. The early ones were an easy bedtime read. The later ones have gotten longer and longer, and my 4.5 year old bailed on this particular one when we were maybe halfway through. It was wasn't moving very fast and it wasn't all that interesting to her.
Lena Hillbrand
This is one of my favorite Magic Tree House books, where they go back and help Charles Dickens write A Christmas Carol and he talks about injustice and poor kids in London. Great story.
Mary
What I found interesting was that the children get the credit for Charles Dickens continuing his writing and creating a story about a miser changing into a good Christian man who shares his wealth with those who do not have. I actually own a book by Charles Dickens called Charles Dickens Ghost Stories. Stories that he wrote that were later incorporated into other novels.
Nancy
J says 5 stars, G says 4. Basic retelling of A Christmas Carol.
Amy Rae
I guess it's good that there are books out there to introduce children to historical fiction and fantasy, but I just found this nightmarishly boring.
Payton
Jack and Anne sneak into Charles Dickens by dressing up as chimney sweepers.
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • Bethany the Ballet Fairy ( Rainbow Magic: Dance Fairies, #1)
  • Maximum Ride Boxed Set #1
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)

“Oh, man," said Jack. "Everyone was nice to us when we looked rich. Now it feels like the whole world's against us.” 11 likes
“Charles is going to be fine," said Annie.
"Yep," said Jack with a smile. "He never even knew that it was us who helped him."
"That's the best way to help someone, I think," said Annie.
"Why?" asked Jack.
"Then you know you're not helping them just to get a lot of credit," said Annie. "You're helping because it's the right thing to do.”
9 likes