Start by marking “Susanna Wesley: Servant of God” as Want to Read:
Susanna Wesley: Servant of God

Susanna Wesley: Servant of God

This is the story of Susanna Wesley, mother of Charles and John Wesley, who werefounders of the Methodist Church.She was a bright, beautiful woman whose life was turbulent but whose faith never wavered.
Published May 8th 1987 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Susanna Wesley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Susanna Wesley

Brenda
Jun 17, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book. Mrs. Wesley's story is very encouraging on so many levels. Her determination of God's Word and to keep a positive outlook throughout her whole life despite the hardships and loss of life. She truly was a servant of God. The writing is deep and that is the true writer's way. Ms. Dengler did a wonderful job of sharing Wesley's life through her book.
Christa
Wow! What a hard life! I think what makes me so sad about her life is that while she was very religious for most of her life, she did not come to really know the Lord until almost the very end.
Betty
Nov 30, 2016 Betty rated it it was amazing
Tremendously encouraging life! Mrs. Wesley lived for God in spite of the hardships and disappointments she endured.
Through aloft that she raised two sons who became well known preachers. John and Charles Wesley.
Gina
Sep 09, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at her life and how her faith influenced her well-known sons John and Charles.
Deborah Mickel
Jun 08, 2010 Deborah Mickel rated it really liked it
This is the 1st biography I have read on Susanna Wesley so I'm not sure what was not told or given literary license. I liked what I read about her. I had previously put her on a pedestal (a place only God deserves). I did learn that she was just an ordinary woman who like all of us had many faults but she had an unwavering devotion to God and even when things were really tough, like a husband who kept them in debt and leaving her to raise the children, she continued to seek God and was always ...more
Angela
Sep 19, 2008 Angela rated it liked it
Well, I have heard the story of how this lady spent an hour each week with each of her children. No small feet when she had 9! :) I always admired her.
This book is actually the first that I have read about her - unless I read some in school and do not remember! LOL Quite possible!
I was surprised by many things concerning Susanna's life. I guess I will have to read some more to get a better idea of how it all fits together.
I gave this a 3 star only because I don't know enough about Susanna to kn
Christina Carter
Jun 18, 2015 Christina Carter rated it did not like it
I had read a book about Susanna Wesley and really enjoyed her life story. She was an amazing woman and Christian. I went to go find her story and read this book. This writer is a liberal woman with an agenda to show how Susanna's life was miserable, which it was not. I did not like this book at all. I am in search of the first book I read which left me with quite an impression of Susanna Wesley.
Letitia
Aug 02, 2007 Letitia rated it it was ok
Servant of God my ass! She was some kind of crazy. There's a lot that's wrong with the Christian faith that Susanna Wesley embodies: legalism, ritual, discipline at the expense of joy... I began this biography expecting to be impressed by this woman and ended it wondering how on earth she came to be the paragon of womanhood she's purported to be. She was virtually a genius, I'll give her that.
Joyce
Aug 09, 2011 Joyce rated it liked it
My copy. Depressing to read about her life, so much death and tragedy, but very interesting. Would like to read about John and Charles.
GenieD
Mar 25, 2011 GenieD rated it did not like it
I admire Susanna Wesley from other books I've read. This book did not do her justice. She was presented as shallow and self centered. NOT THE BEST BOOK ON HER.
Janie
Mar 17, 2013 Janie rated it liked it
I always love to read about the other half's, the others who worked along side and who build up the leaders of the day. No this isn't the best on Susanna Wesley, but yet some insight.
Wendy
Jul 26, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
What an amazing woman of God! Truly an inspiring person in history. Would love to re-read this one. My daughters have loved getting to know her through this wonderful biography as well.
Rachel Wearne
Rachel Wearne rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Robin Mcintyre
Robin Mcintyre rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Shonna Lynn Donovan
Shonna Lynn Donovan rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Julie Knight
Nov 26, 2016 Julie Knight rated it really liked it
This book is about the life of Susanna Wesley, the mother of John Wesley and a theologian in her own right. She was the youngest of 25 children and could read Greek and Hebrew by the age of 13. She endured many trials during her lifetime including severe poverty, and the deaths of 9 of her 19 children during infancy. She is an excellent example of a strong woman during a time when women were not necessarily valued by society. It also provides a lot of church history and the divisions in the ...more
Cynthia Prosser
Cynthia Prosser rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Agatha
Agatha rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Lynn Smith
Lynn Smith rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Goodie
Goodie rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 25, 2010
Dot McEntire
Dot McEntire rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Rebekah Mott forbes
Rebekah Mott forbes rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015