Start by marking “Friend of Madame Maigret” as Want to Read:
Friend of Madame Maigret

Friend of Madame Maigret (Maigret #34)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In "The Friend of Madame Maigret," Simenon's economic prose brilliantly portrays the Marais quarter of Paris and those who haunt its narrow streets as Inspector Maigret attempts to prove that a murder has actually been committed without a corpse anywhere to be found. As the investigation becomes increasingly complex, seemingly unconnected characters are drawn into the case ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Friend of Madame Maigret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend of Madame Maigret

Tony
THE FRIEND OF MADAME MAIGRET. (1950; trans. 1960). Georges Simenon. ****.
We learn of two allegedly unrelated events: Mme. Maigret was sitting on a bench in the park – she was early for her dental appointment – when a woman and a young child sat next to her. After a bit, the woman asked her if she would look after the child for a little while as she had an important errand to run. Of course Maigret agreed. After a couple of hours, during which time Mme. Maigret was becoming increasingly concerned
John
This is only my second Maigret novel. I loved it instantly, but got lost a little bit lost 3/4 through due to the introduction of so many characters, each one essential to the unfolding of the mystery yet each nothing more than a piece in the puzzle, which was more than a bit disappointing after the overall warm characterization that marks the majority of the book.
Tony
Simenon, Georges. MADAM MAIGRET’S OWN CASE. (1959). ***1/2. The plot of this case for Maigret was a bit more confusing than most. There were lots of extra characters floating around that made it difficult to keep track of the action. In any event, it was still a good read. It all starts out when Chief Inspector Maigret gets an anonymous tip that a murder has been committed at a bookbinder’s shop. When the police go to investigate, they find that there are two teeth in the furnace, and a blue sui ...more
Pupottina

Una donna come la signora Maigret non può finire in prima pagina. Cosa le sarà successo?
Noi lettori non possiamo che esserne felici, poiché quella che, per tanti romanzi, è stata soltanto una figura secondaria, di sfondo, sfruttata come componente tranquillizzante di una normalità domestica, diventa finalmente reale.
Il commissario Maigret non può permettere che accada qualcosa alla sua famiglia. Deve portare alla luce la verità. Ma non è il solo, poiché anche la signora Maigret non si lascia zit
Donna
Feb 20, 2013 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Marsh, Allingham and Christie
Shelves: mystery
Georges Simenon and his detective Maigret appear regularly in books about mysteries. There are many, many of these books. I had not read one before, but having stumbled across a collection of these stories, I took the opportunity to read one.

The murder mystery is quite good and I enjoyed watching the case develop. Maigret takes a fatherly interest in the policemen working for him and even though one almost destroys the investigation, he gives this same policeman a difficult job to do. Madame Mai
April
OK short Simenon about a case Maigret is working on involving a bookbinder, his wife, a former prostitute, and 2 teeth found in his furnace. In what seems like a fortuitous coincidence, Madame Maigret actually strikes up the acquaintance of a woman with a little boy, who turns out somehow to be involved. A quick read. Maigret is his usual ornery but lovable self.
Owen
Good one, this. There is a sub plot involving Madame Maigret, whose devoted relationship to here husband is nicely reflected. But the main plot concerns a murder committed by a varied group of individuals and the police inquiry that follows.

As always with Maigret novels, it seems, 1950s Paris can be enjoyed as a place of quaint, village-like relationships and clearly delineated characters: the garrulous cobbler, the nosy concierge, the cynical but essentially public-spirited policeman.

And there
Eugene  Kisebach
What a pleasure! 64 years later, it hasn't aged at all. Maigret remains one of the immortals of detective fiction. Clear, spare writing, good plotting, and an easy yet crisp pace. Many a writer today could learn from Simenon...

Madame Maigret is sitting on a park bench, when the young woman she often sees there leaves her little boy for a moment, and then disappears! Meanwhile the Inspector is following up an anonymous tip indicating a body has been incinerated at the home of a Marais bookbinder,
Rhys
The eighth 'Maigret' novel I have read and one of the best so far. The solving of the crime relies on a coincidence that is utterly plausible. It was nice to learn more about Maigret's wife and to observe a little of the great detective's domestic life.
Mommalibrarian
I have never seen this policeman on television so everything about the book was fresh and interesting. It is the sort of mystery where if you look back you have almost as much information as Mr Maigret; the person who solves the crime. Also interesting is the setting of Paris and the habits of Parisians, at least around 1950. The restaurant sends up 'a pile of sandwiches on a tray' and 'glasses of beer'! The police think nothing of stopping for a beer as they go about their day of investigation. ...more
Skip
I only read five star books which is why I marked this book five star. Simenon's writing is smooth, clean, nothing wasted and his books are always page turners. I return easily to his books and am always glad I did.
Val
This is an enjoyable mystery which is not just a straight policier (police procedural novel) like many of Simenon's. There are a few glimpses of domesticity chez Maigret and his wife. Maigret really shouldn't be diverting police resources to investigate his wife's acquaintance's strange behaviour, but it turns out to be connected with the murder case he should be investigating, so it all works out fine in the end. It is nice to meet Madame and get to know her better.
I enjoy Simenon's books and w
Melinda
My favorite character in all the Maigret mysteries has always been Madame Maigret. This is a unique story because Madame Maigret helps tip over some events in a police investigation that ends up flushing the murderer out into the open.
Allenh
As always, Maigret does not dissapoint. This book is a departure from the more common mode of Maigret gets his man and interrogates him. It's more about a baffling case dealing with four criminals who go missing and a murder who hasn't been identified (cremated in a furnace). Madame Maigret joins the case in an unexpected way, and we see a bit more of their relationship. The book is more confusing than most until the dots start to connect at the very end. Probably not the first Maigret I'd sugge ...more
Jeffrey
As comme d'habitude merveilleux!
Maureen
not as good as the other maigret mysteries i've read. it certainly kept me in the dark. i had no idea how the plot would be resolved at all, and when the culprit(s)was/were revealed, it was also apparent that i would never have figured it out. still, as much as i enjoy that in a book normally, the getting there wasn't really all that fascinating in this one. still, i learn something from simenon in every book i read by him, so there's that.
David
Everything which was promised in Simenon's biography: a short crime novel more focused on the power of human instinct than on the crime itself, on the grey monotony of life than on a complex plot (easily untangled), on the quiet expect disappointment of human nature than on any unexpected deception. Closer to James Ellroy or Dostoievsky than A.Conan Doyle, probably because Simenon wrote crime novels where - in the end - the crime didn't matter.
Paul Secor
Typically good Maigret - although Madame Maigret gets relatively short shrift in this novel, in spite of the title. That's perhaps a weakness of the Maigret series - women are, for the most part, left out unless they're criminals. And the ending is weak - almost as if Simenon wanted to finish the novel and tie up all of the loose ends quickly. So - perhaps not one of my favorite Maigret's, but still a good read (no pun intended).
Rivkah.
The book was interesting. I do like mysteries, and this one was interesting although it moved a bit slowly. Had the typical twists and turns of a "who-did-it" story. I think that it took place in Paris France and was written by someone who lived there in that time period helped the book a lot, and it made me have to dig into French history more to fallow it.
Sasha
I found this Maigret novel very satisfying. The case in question is more complex than most, so that the whole story unfolds with a steady pace of revelations. Mme Maigret's involvement initially strains credulity a little bit, but that is made up for by the rest of the story. Full of intriguing detail of old Paris, and more characters are involved than usual.
Mikee
Not one of my favorites. The usual (positive) Simenon descriptives apply, but the plot was just silly -- in concept as well in execution of the solution of the crime. Actually disappointing.
Concha Marcos
El inspector Maigret me recuerda a Philip Marlowe pero mas cercano, mas creible. Personaje a veces contradictorio, desprende humanidad por todos los poros de su piel. Eso si, muy francés, Simenon construye un buen retrato de París en la época de los 50.
Probably better read in french, which I used to be able to do as the vocabulary is pretty limited. Reminds me of my Dad who used to love Maigret, and Paris, and France. I might try another one and see if the charm survives the years a little better.
Carla Remy
Couldn't finish this. I mean, didn't want to. I haven't loved the Maigret books ever, but thought I'd give them another chance. Nope, boring to me. Is it the translation? Guess I can't adore every vintage mystery.
Matt
This is not my favorite Maigret book, but still quite enjoyable. Simenon seems to create these stories effortlessly and as a result they're almost effortless to read. It's quite relaxing when you're in the right mood.
Glitter
It was a light, refreshing sort of read. Not one to take to seriously, but a rather intriguing and exciting plot. Its setting in Paris also helped quite a lot. It made it that little bit more magical.
John Marsh
Simenon evokes the atmosphere of Paris and its neighborhoods and its characters. There's little thrilling action or breathtaking detection skills; just the gradual discovery of what lays beneath the surface.
Meryl Natchez
I recently started the Inspector Maigret series. I would rate these just below the Nero Wolf series by Rex Stout. Wonderful airplane books. This one was especially good.
Karlo Mikhail
Read this in my hospital bed. Very entertaining with all the unlikely twists that keeps one guessing what's up next. Simenon has truly mastered the detective yarn form.
Raul
Interesante caso de Maigret. Historia muy bien lograda. Las novelas negras de Simenon son muy entretenidas y las estoy disfrutando muchísimo.
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • Killer in the Rain
  • Acqua in bocca
  • Business Class. Geschichten aus der Welt des Managements (Business Class, #1)
  • Hammett
  • Bashan and I
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • Murder in the Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5)
  • The Doomsters
  • The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Una brutta faccenda
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head
  • The Yellow Dog
  • The Night at the Crossroads
  • A Crime in Holland
  • The Grand Banks Café
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1) The Strangers in the House