Start by marking “Ordermaster” as Want to Read:
Ordermaster

Ordermaster (The Saga of Recluce #13)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  3,263 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ordermaster is the 13th book in the Saga of Recluce and the direct sequel to Wellspring of Chaos. The cooper Kharl has no sooner taken possession of the estate bestowed upon him by Lord Ghrant of Austra for his aid in quelling the revolt of Ghrant's dispossessed brother, when he is summoned back to the capital. Hagen, his friend the lord-chancellor, needs help in dealing w ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published January 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ordermaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordermaster

Liviu
Dec 16, 2014 Liviu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the second and final part of cooper Kharl storyline; the first part is much better than the second which is quite repetitive, while the hero is still not that believable, though in this one, he reads better than in the earlier book
Andrew
Apr 02, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of the books in Modesitt’s ‘Saga of Recluse’ novels, beginning with “The Magic of Recluse”. At first, I used to eagerly await each new novel, grabbing it as soon as it was available. I couldn’t wait to see what new details about this complex world that Modesitt has created. However, along the way, I found that the stories were becoming repetitive, and my interest lagged. When I read “Wellspring of Chaos”, I found it refreshing that it wasn’t a coming of age story, as so many of ...more
Sophie
Jun 22, 2016 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Strong second half of Kharl's story. Some of the loose ends from the last book were rounded off well. Some interesting thoughts about the nature of war in among the story as well.
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modesitt delivers what his readers expect in this new eddition to the Recluce Saga. While following the same basic story outline as his past books, of a humble man discovering his talent for magery and then being forced to use it to influence world events in huge ways, L.E. is also able to continue adding much detail to his rich world of Recluce.

In this sequel to The Wellspring of Chaos, Kharl the cooper/beggar/sailor/carpenter/mage/lord continues his adventures on the island nations of Nordla a
Mary Mackie
Sep 29, 2016 Mary Mackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed it. good ending for the pair of books, although it seems to me it was a bit abbreviated as far as the action. Mind you, if all the action was put in the book would have been twice as long....
Yune
Aug 07, 2014 Yune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A solid conclusion to Kharl's tale, showing him with the same reassuring solidity and sensibility despite his elevation to being a lord. Of more interest is his position as a mage, as he finds himself using his power more directly to shape the political landscape. I appreciated how he was able to revisit characters left behind in the previous book, Wellspring of Chaos, even though I'm not completely convinced by the courtship depicted here.

Definitely not the flashiest of the Recluce books, but a
Steven Allen
Oct 25, 2013 Steven Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is the only one so far (other than Anne McCaffrey) that I enjoy reading a blend of fantasy and sci-fi. I have read quite a few of the Recluse books and was not aware that I was so behind in the series. I was also not aware that the author took an 10 year break writing other series, before returning to Recluse in 2011. Of course I always read these out of order but the author writes well enough that you can follow the story without being totally lost if you failed to read the previous ...more
Aslan Davault
Jan 30, 2011 Aslan Davault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! I happened across this book without ever reading the other book in the series but that didn't change how amazing this book was. It had a good plot that sort of changes your mindset a little. I usually thought of black magic as destruction magic and white magic as healing magic, but not in this book. It is flipped around and you learn to think about things differently. Definitely a book to be read. Since i never read the books prior to this one in the series, i cant give much ...more
Jason Boarman
I remember really enjoying the previous Recluce books but this one is a real struggle. The first half, or more, of the book is full of repetition. It is poorly edited, if it was actually edited at all; it seems unlikely. Mercifully, it improves towards the end and becomes a more enjoyable read; more in the style that I recall from Modesitt Jr. However, it still lacks a solid story and everything concludes a little too easily. Definitely a weaker book than its predecessors and, ultimately, disapp ...more
Lindalee
Jul 27, 2016 Lindalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy a bit of fantasy - this one contains Mages - in a medieval type setting and love seeing the underdog give their masters a bit of a come-uppance, you will enjoy 'Ordermaster'. I had no idea that this is actually #13 in a collection and the history of the characters was developed so well that it worked as a stand-alone story. However, now, I will be seeking the earlier works and this should entertain me for quite a long time to come. The narration was also very well-done.
Mike Paulhus
Jun 09, 2011 Mike Paulhus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid effort from Modesitt in his time honored mold of the struggle between order and chaos and the balance between the two. I must admit, I preferred this book among some of the others because it is a direct sequel to the previous book and continues the story line of kharl the cooper. Looking forward to reading the next one!
Gary O'Brien
Jan 28, 2012 Gary O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
"Nothing is ever as good as it was," Kharl said dryly. "Even when it wasn't that good."

Excellent sequel to "Wellspring of Chaos."

The 13th book in the Saga of Recluce series and Modesitt still keeps it intriguing. Reality was never this good, or dangerous.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Esoliken
Mar 01, 2014 Esoliken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl returns with his new home. Just as he's about to start on his new lands he's called in by the king. he's now forced to learn the things an order mage would have known long before his age. Soon he must return to reclaim what is left of his old life and bring it back to his new home.
Kim
Sep 13, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The saga of Recluse is a great series, right up there with Tolkien. I thoroughly enjoy every new book expanding my knowledge of the fictional history of this fascinating land and the constant struggle for balance between chaos and order.
Reid H
Jan 14, 2010 Reid H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and straightforward entry in the recluce saga. My favorite part was the non-traditional main character. Kharl the cooper was middle aged with a wife and children when the author started raining bad news down on him. Makes for a refreshing change.
Miles
May 04, 2010 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As has been the case with nearly all of the Saga of Recluce novels, Modesitt shows a knack for bringing across a strongly developed, flawed but likable main character. All in all a good read, but I'd recommend Wellspring of Chaos, the preceding volume, before picking up this one.
Nathan Johnson
Dec 17, 2014 Nathan Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (with a little twisting) could be a really good 80's style action move.

Ordermaster: Lord Kharl is back, WITH A VENGEANCE!
Steven Harper
After reading other titles, it took me a moment to set myself in the right mindset of where they part of the story fit within the others. Once that was done, it was a good read. SD
Pat
Apr 27, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kharl is one of my favorite Modesitt heroes.
David
Sep 12, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I accidentally read this book prior to the one that precedes it, which introduces the protagonist. I managed just fine and found this book to be an excellent addition to the Recluce series.
Craig
Jan 23, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read, 7/15
Philip Mackey
Philip Mackey rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
Greykemp
Greykemp rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2014
John Nolan
John Nolan rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Geordie
Geordie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Wil Jackson
Wil Jackson rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • The Stone of the Stars (The Dragon Throne, #1)
  • The Summer Palace (The Annals of the Chosen, #3)
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)
  • Time Dancers (The Meq, #2)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)
  • The Hanging Mountains (Books of the Cataclysm, #3)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)

“Never mistake law for justice. Justice is an ideal, and law is a tool.” 2 likes