Start by marking “Meet the Mertzes: The Life Stories of I Love Lucy's Other Couple” as Want to Read:
Meet the Mertzes: The Life Stories of I Love Lucy's Other Couple

Meet the Mertzes: The Life Stories of I Love Lucy's Other Couple

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Meet the Mertzes is an expansive dual biography chronicling the lives of two of America's most popular situation-comedy actors, William Frawley and Vivian Vance, who portrayed Fred and Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy. This meticulously researched book contains interviews with Frawley's and Vance's colleagues, friends, and relatives, and explores their personal and professional...more
Published September 18th 1999 by Renaissance Books

To ask other readers questions about Meet the Mertzes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet the Mertzes

Graceann
There's a surprising amount of information packed into 281 pages of reading, and a lot of it was new to me, which was refreshing.

I'm one of those folks who watches old movies and looks for the character actors. That wouldn't do me a lot of good with Vivian Vance, who only appeared in three feature films, but William Frawley was all over movie screens in the Golden Age of Hollywood, and usually played the same type - the brusque cop, sports manager, barman, etc.

Many people already know that Viv...more
Lisa Stephenson
First, I assume you are a fan of "I Love Lucy" or I can't imagine wanting to read this book. That assumption made, this is a dual biography of Vivian Vance and William Frawley, forever known as the battling couple "Fred and Ethel Mertz" from the iconic 50s TV show "I Love Lucy". Alternating chapters cover Vance's and Frawley's childhood and early years in show business, each actor's experience in doing "Lucy" (it was well known within the business that each actor despised the other personally, b...more
Lorna
Sep 05, 2014 Lorna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: bios
This was a much "lighter" and faster read than the Desilu book. Obviously there was some repeated information since Vivian and Bill were profiled a bit in that book, but it was nice to get a deeper look at THEIR lives.
Malorie Shannon
I just finished "Meet the Mertzes". I love "I love Lucy" and love Fred and Ethel and the actors that played them. Vivian Vance and William Frawley were each briliant in their roles. This book filled me in on the personal and private lives of these 2 stars. From their days in Vaudeville to superstardom of I Love Lucy, from both having mothers that each in their own ways made each of them to be the slightly damaged people that we fans hardly ever saw to both being such consumate professionals that...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
After watching "I Love Lucy" episodes for the gazillionth time, I began to realize what fantastic actors Vivian Vance and William Frawley were, and how much their talents contributed to the success of the show. This dual biography fills in the background information about their lives before and after "Lucy," and gives insight into what it was like for them to work with Lucy and Desi. After reading this book, I wish I could have met both Frawley and Vance, especially Vance. Recommended for anyone...more
Jenn
This book was long on information (and a lot of it unimportant - like William Frawley's brother's first Broadway play and costars) and a little short on cohesiveness. It felt more like a chronological encyclopedia rather than a biography. There is very little celebrity gossip or "behind the scenes" stuff that usually draws me to a book like this - I love the tell-all types of books. Skip this one and get Vance's biography.
Laurie Neuwirth
I've loved Lucy ever since I used to watch the episodes with my grandma in her living room...we'd laugh and laugh...I think Viv was incredible; a perfect friend and straight-woman for Lucy and Fred was perfect. Parts of this are sad; as they're not the lovable couple behind the scenes - a must for Lucy fans.
Regina
It was a little slow at first - it might not be for others. It picked up for me and I found the subjects, Vivian Vance and William Frawley, very interesting. It is interesting to know who they were outside of I Love Lucy.
SueGoCo
Tediously written, but must-read for die-hard Lucy fans like me.
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Mary Brugger
Mary Brugger marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Aly
Aly marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Debra Dale
Debra Dale marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Lorie
Lorie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Matthau: A Life Angela Lansbury: A Life On Stage And Screen The Great Baseball Films: From Right Off The Bat To A League Of Their Own Baseball on the Web Issues on Trial - Freedom of the Press (Issues on Trial)