Start by marking “Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)

Dream Lake (Friday Harbor #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  9,495 Ratings  ·  1,029 Reviews
They say that opposites attract. But what happens when one has been devastated by betrayal and the other is so jaded that his heart is made of stone? Enter the world of Friday Harbor, an enchanting town in the Pacific Northwest where things are not quite as they seem and where true love might just have a ghost of a chance….

Alex Nolan is as bitter and cynical as they come.
Published August 7th 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Lake, please sign up.

_thebookmaiden You can read the series out of order and you should be just fine! I did that with Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor #2) and I was fine. The author does a…moreYou can read the series out of order and you should be just fine! I did that with Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor #2) and I was fine. The author does a good job of tying everything together while still explaining the characters' connections to each other with limited confusion! I hope you enjoy your first Friday Harbor book!(less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
134th out of 2,453 books — 15,859 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberAbout That Night by Julie JamesOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen HooverBared to You by Sylvia Day
2012 Contemporary Romance Novels
8th out of 231 books — 1,100 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 10, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

The best so far in the Friday Harbor series, but....

Zoe Hoffman is a great cook, her creations are almost magical. With her grandmother needing full-time care, Zoe takes on the responsibility, renovating her cottage. Alex, the youngest Nolan brother is in a bad place. With his marriage break-up and now financially broke, Alex is spiraling down into alcoholism. Zoe hires Alex to renovate the cottage.

As with the previous books in this series there are some paranormal elements to the contemporary s
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Lisa Kleypas has made me fall in love with many of her heroes – Kev Merripen, Derek Craven, Sebastian St. Vincent, Jack Travis – now I can add Alex Nolan to this list.

I felt that Zoe and Alex were a great match for one another. Though they bicker with one another often, it showed people how willing they were to deal with one another even though they are difficult. I find it more interesting to have a couple work at being in a relationship than reading about one that falls so easily into place.

Kristin (KC)
Apr 07, 2015 Kristin (KC) rated it really liked it
*3.5 Stars*

This story was sweet, touching, and magical...and the writing—impeccable. The characters were so well-rounded and complete; I just adored them all!

"You and I both got it wrong, Alex: Love does last. In's the only thing that does."

Alex: Brooding, sexy, gorgeous, tortured but not beyond redemption, complete with a hidden softer side ... What more could a girl want?

Zoe: Beautiful, sweet, caring, shy but not to a fault, not to mention her cooking which is literally magical a
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Lisa Kleypas has certainly put some magic in her work, on the page and out of it <3 Dream Lake is the best book from this series! (yet anyway lol)

The first two were very good, but they just didn't have that something for me. Dream Lake certainly did Photobucket

The story - Well, it was pretty slow in developing, it kinda got me frustrated because I wanted to see some action lol, but was I ever wrong! Almost the entire first half of the book is building the characters, and it was so superbly done, I had
Lisa Kay
Dream Lake, Washington

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Dream Lake is narrated by Jeff Cummings who does NOT seem to be the right fit for this one. Not a great job, but not a disaster, either. An “okay” performance. I’d probably like him better reading something else, as he has a nice voice. Here he falls a little short due to making Zoe sound a bit too “wispy” – a common trait among male narrators trying to do female voices; though, he does a fair job on Zoe’s grandmother, “Upsie.” While I
5 HUGE*****Stars

Dream Lake, Lisa Kleypas's newest installment in the awesome Friday Harbor series, simply blew me away. Lisa Kleypas has a way of spinning a tale so tight, that you become completely immersed in the story. I had plans for today, but after reading the first chapter of this book, I canceled those plans and spent the day reading. It was time well spent.

The first three chapters serve as background for the entire series, so this book could be read as a stand alone. However, this serie
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I really loved this book and it is my favourite in the Friday Harbor series so far. It's an original and charming story of two unlikely people who find love with a little help from a very outspoken ghost, with a bittersweet love story of his own to tell. If, like me, you love fantasy movies like Ghost and Just Like Heaven, you’re sure to love this book.

I do have an insatiable craving for brooding, emotionally tortured heroes and Alex more than satisfied that craving. He acts a complete ass, at t
Nuria Llop
Desde que comencé esta saga estaba deseando leer la entrega correspondiente a Alex, el Nolan atormentado y adicto al alcohol, pues las anteriores nos van dando pinceladas que nos dejan con la incógnita. Tanta expectativa me asustaba un poco, pero esta historia no me ha defraudado en absoluto. He disfrutado de la novela de Alex y Zöe en todos los aspectos. Cómo evolucionan ellos, (como individuos y como pareja), el personaje de la anciana que contribuye a su unión, la forma de narrar de la autora ...more
Feb 18, 2015 [Aengell] rated it it was amazing
5 stars – mild spoilers ahead

Dream Lake is one of my favorites Lisa Kleypas books. I can only try to explain the magic this story creates every time I read it. And although this series isn’t very popular among LK-fans, I can definitely recommend this installment to anyone out there.

There are so, so many aspects about this book that I love, and I will try to put my chaotic thoughts into something that resembles order.

Alex and Zoë are one of Lisa Kleypas’ best couples. Why? Because they are so,
Liz* Fashionably Late
2.5 Stars

Guess who can't stop reading this evil series?

So… it's not magical realism anymore. There's a ghost POV. A ghost POV. This is paranormal now? Who cares! The truth is, I like the people in this story and I wanted to make sure they were okay o_O

So, I'll be brief.

The formula was okay... two books ago. Now it's just boring.

Take one of the brothers with trust issues and non commitment habits PLUS a beautiful yet single girl, brokenhearted, betrayed or just unselfish enough = Voilà! Any F
Dale Harcombe
Jun 09, 2016 Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
I’m not one who is really into books about ghosts but this book starts with a ghost who is unable to leave the house. For some reason I was curious enough to keep reading. In fact the ghost didn’t even know who he was, until long after Sam Nolan buys the house and his brother Alex comes to inspect it. To the ghost’s surprise it appears Alex can hear and see him. That is not the only trouble the hard drinking, bitter and cynical Alex gets into when he meets the sweet and ge
Jan 09, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this series too quickly. The first book in the series is my favorite but I gave this one 5 stars because it hit me quite hard emotionally. I'm on to book 4, this one I will try and take a little slower. Or maybe not.
Now this book approaches the greatness of Lisa Kleypas of the Hathaways, Wallflowers and Travis series -- not quite as good as those, but definitely much better than the first two in the Rainshadow Road series.

This book was fun, good, and sexy. I loved it. I listened to the audio and it was read by a very sexy sounding male narrator. My one complaint is how the narrator read the female voices, but in the end ... the story was written so well and performed so well it was forgivable.

The first tw
Aug 03, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

“At first I wasn’t all that tempted by him, but then he killed the spider. Which was a huge point in his favor.”

“Absolutely. I love men who kill bugs.”

“And then when I was freaking out and couldn’t breathe, he was so…gentle.” Zoe sighed and colored, remembering. “He was holding me, and talking to me in that voice…you know, sort of low and rough around the edges…”

“All the Nolans sound like that,” Justine said reflectively. “Like they’ve got a mild case
4.00 Stars – Contemporary Small Town Romance.

We head back to Friday Harbor to visit the third Nolan brother Alex Nolan’s story. Once again Kleypas fluently pens down exquisite story-telling at its best with subtle yet larger-than-life characters who accomplish to hold a permanent place in your memories like a DREAM.

Alex is a cynical, broken and wrecked younger brother in the Nolan’s family, haunted by a tremulous childhood and disruptive divorce. Zoe Hoffman, a lovable baker of the town, hires
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Dream lake was an emotional book from beginning to end and I loved every minute of it, every tear and every smile. Alex has been through the ringer. Everything that could go wrong for him has. His wife divorced him, she's selling the house that he lives in, business is slow, and he's becoming an alcoholic like his parents. He is not in a good place and definitely not where he should be to meet a good girl.

But he does. And Zoe is sweet and understanding,
This was a really sweet read. Alex, due to childhood trauma is completely shut down emotionally. In fact emotions of any kind tend to make him panic, because he doesn't know how to handle them. Zoe is full of emotions and is the complete opposite of him. She is sunshine to his dark and he knows he is no good for her. But when they get together they spark like crazy. Alex thinks his is going crazy when he realizes he has a ghost haunting him. What does he want and why won't he quit nagging him ab ...more
Sep 29, 2012 valee rated it it was amazing
Let's make it quick and entertaining, here are the reasons for why this book is a must read:

1)Very funny characters:

-The hero
It’s a relief now that it’s over. She’s great, but I couldn’t handle all the emotion salad.” “What’s emotion salad?” Mark asked, amused. “You know that thing women do. The happy-crying thing. Or the sad-mad thing. I don’t get how anyone can have more than one feeling at a time. It’s like trying to simultaneously watch TVs on different channels.”

“Pie for breakfast?” “Why n
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
Aug 09, 2012 Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fav-s
"You are everything that's ever been my favorite thing, you are my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby's laugh. You're a snow angel, creme brule, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you'll never catch up, because I've gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed"

What an amazingly beautiful story. Everything flowed so gracefully and effortlessly that before I knew it I finished the book.

Kleypas is truly a magician with her
Sep 12, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, best-of-2012
"Delicious: giving pleasure or contentment to the mind or senses."
Synonyms: ambrosial, delectable, scrumptious, yummy, satisfying, entertaining, intoxicating.

Dream Lake is all this and more. I know some people didn't care for the ghostly visitor element but I have to say I found it both adorable and extremely romantic. Lisa Kleypas took an ordinary story and turned it into something unusual, and I had a difficult time putting it down, despite taking several days to read it. (I blame my family -
Océano de libros
Zoë Hoffman es una joven risueña que a pesar de sufrir un revés amoroso aún cree en encontrar a su alma gemela; por otro lado está Alex Nolan que es todo lo contrario de Zoë, él no cree en esas tonterías y se refugia en las mujeres y en la bebida, y además tiene que soportar a cierto personaje que lo sigue allá donde va.
Una vez terminada esta novela creo que Lisa Kleypas se mueve mejor en el género romántico histórico que en el de romance actual y quizás no debería opinar habiendo leído solo “El

Finally, a book worthy of Lisa Kleypas.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 17, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
This is one of the best ghost stories I've ever read. The characters are fantastic.

Zoe is one of those people who is Nice with a capital 'N'. Warm and kind and loving and giving, yet life has never done anything to reward that. She cooks like a goddess, and is trapped in a Betty Boop body so nice fellas don't take a chance on her. The rest of the guys expect that she has no brain. The worst part is that she is drawn to the kind of bad boy who is guaranteed to be terrible for her. Her ex-husband
Mimi Smith
Jul 17, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it really liked it
4 stars

This may not be a standard romance, may be more women's fiction than romance, but I liked it a lot. Lisa Kleypas can write all right. But this series is definitely not my favorite by her.

"A wedding is a ceremony where a symbolic virgin surrounded by women in ugly dresses marries a hungover groom accompanied by friends he hasn’t seen in years but made them show up anyway. After that, there’s a reception where the guests are held hostage for two hours with coated almonds, and the DJ tries t
Mar 06, 2015 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
My rating for this book would range between 2 and 4 stars according to the chapters / paragraphs, as there were things I really liked, some others I did not care for and lastly some that simply irked me. And my feelings all along the reading kept changing between those.
First, let me start with the magic, paranormal, ghost part; I usually never care for that, it was quite nicely done, though it took too large a part of the book. The moments I preferred were the ones when the dialogue with the gho

My rating: 4.25/5
First line: “The ghost had tried many times to leave the house, but it was impossible.”
Favourite quote: “Once you said that if I wasn’t with you, it wouldn’t be heaven. I can’t let go of you. Come back and haunt me. Come back.
Song of choice: We Are Young by Fun.

Dream Lake is the third instalment in the Friday Harbor series by Lisa Kleypas. It tells the story of two mismatched individuals, who against all reason, fall in love with each other no matter how much they fight it. A
Brittany B.
for audio listeners This audio version of this book is so unabashedly awful, that I can no longer listen. The the narrator should be quartered... Ok at least he should be fired from future narration. And this should be immidiety rerecorded. His female voices are so unacceptable, as to make it a farce.
What on earth were you thinking LK? Do you not retain any power over your work?

I'me ordering this book in hard copy. And hope my audio-listening friends will join me, in expressing our dissatisfa
Aug 10, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rating the book 4 stars because Kleypas delivered a terrific story. However...what were they thinking (Brilliance Audio, I'm looking at you) in casting Jeff Cummings? Clueless dude committed my two most unforgivable sins. One, he reads the heroine in that drag queen, breathy, I-am -a-stupid -blond -bimbo voice. Two, the ghost, a major character with a lot of lines, sounds whiney and annoying--which is not how the character is written.

So many talented narrators both male and female who could
Jul 10, 2016 Luli rated it really liked it

Esta es una de esas historias que no debería haberme gustado pero que me ha encantado. Y creo que todo depende del momento en el que la lees. Y yo la he leído en el momento preciso.
Ha sido dulce (demasiado a veces), sencilla (simplona en algunos momentos) y predecible (totalmente) pero ha funcionado.

Zoë es perfecta. Es la típica chica que hace girar la cabeza. Es guapa, tiene un cuerpo que hace soñar a los hombres y encima de todo es una encanto y buena persona… ¿Alguien da más?

Alex es un poco m
May 29, 2016 Yolanda rated it liked it
We Love Lisa Kleypas: Dream Lake (Release Date: August 7, 2012) 75 116 Aug 19, 2015 11:47AM
Dream Lake VS Inn Boonsboro 1 8 Apr 07, 2015 08:29PM
Romance Lovers fo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas, starts 15th September 87 54 Sep 21, 2012 01:27PM
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3)
  • Within Reach
  • Rescue Me (Lovett, Texas, #3)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Ask Adam (Tanner Siblings, #2)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Sunrise Point (Virgin River, #17)
  • Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

Friday Harbor (5 books)
  • Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1)
  • Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)
  • Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)
  • Lightning Bay (Friday Harbor, #5)

“You are everything that's ever been my favourite thing," she wanted to tell him. "You're my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby's laugh. You're a snow angel, crème brulée, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you'll never catch up, because I've gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed.” 61 likes
“What if you could meet your soul mate?" the ghost asked. "You 'd want to avoid that?"
"Hell, yes. The idea that there's one soul out there, waiting to merge with mine like some data-sharing program, depresses the hell out of me."
"It's not like that. It's not about losing yourself."
"Then what is it?" Alex was only half listening, still occupied with the viselike tightness of his chest.
"It's like your whole life you 've been falling toward the earth, until the moment someone catches you. And you realise that somehow you 've caught her at the same time. And together, instead of falling, you might be able to fly.”