Start by marking “Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)” as Want to Read:
Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)

Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor #4)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  4,950 ratings  ·  803 reviews
On the island of Friday Harbor, magic is in the air—and destiny is a force too powerful to defy…

As the proprietor of a successful boutique hotel, Justine Hoffman has the life she has always wanted. But there is still something missing: Love. A spell was cast on Justine when she was born, with the result that she will never find her soul mate. But she is nothing if not dete
Published February 5th 2013 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Cove

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
149th out of 2,466 books — 12,488 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberAbout That Night by Julie JamesOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen HooverBared to You by Sylvia Day
2012 Contemporary Romance Novels
23rd out of 224 books — 1,096 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

Disappointing...

I haven't been this letdown in a Lisa Kleypas story since I read Where Passion Leads. At least the excuse there, it was her debut.

Justine Hoffman despairs of never falling in love, especially since she's seen her best friend and cousin, Zoë fall in love with Alex Nolan, in book #3 Dream Lake. Owner of the bed-and-breakfast, Justine's been raised as a pagan and is a hereditary witch.

Jason Black has produced the most successful fantasy video-game series ever. Staying at Justine's B&B,
Sanaa
This was a *Fizzle* not a sizzle. Oh hell NO. I never believed I could rate a Kleypas book with 2 stars—NEVER--and it pains me to do so now.

Wow where to begin.
1. Didn’t buy the *instant* chemistry between Justine & Jason.
2. Too much detailed descriptions of the surroundings- (became annoying)
3. This paranormal/supernatural genre is not a strong suit for Kleypas. I would've expected a dark/angsty type of vibe in a PR, but here it felt mild, and emotionless. And the witchcraft details felt l
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Lisa Kleypas has a special place at the top of my list of favourite authors. I love, love her historicals but I understand her reasons for wanting to extend herself as an author by writing contemporary novels. The Travis series is one of my favourites and I have enjoyed the first three books in the Friday Harbor series. So I was looking forward to Justine’s story but Crystal Cove was so disappointing.

What didn’t work for me ~

There was so much emphasis on the witchcraft that, at times, it seem
Lisa Kay
Images of Friday Harbor, Washington.
[image error]
[image error]
★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Oh! I’m so relieved. I read a couple of negative and hesitant reviews (although not about the audiobook) of the latest release in Lisa KleypasFriday Harbor series, Crystal Cove. Let me reassure you; I loved this one also.

Tanya Eby returns to narrating this enchanting series and does a nice job. I realize most women can’t do the sexy baritone I hear in my head for all my heroes; nevertheless
willaful
The fantasy elements in this series have gotten more blatant with each book, from the delicate suggestion of magic in the first to actual witches performing actual spells in this, the fourth. I had no major issues with it in the previous books, but I felt that Kleypas bit off more than she could chew in this one. The fantasy and reality mix just didn't gel.

I was also disappointed with the hero, who starts off mysterious and intriguing and then quickly morphs into every other hopelessly in love,
Crista
2 1/2 stars

This review is a painful one to write. I love this author and will ALWAYS love this author. She has penned some of my very favorite books: Dreaming of You, Smooth Talking Stranger, Again the Magic, Devil in Winter, and the entire Hathaway series. These are books that have become comfort reads. They have helped me through difficult personal times, and are books that continue to beckon me for re-reads time and time again. For this I will always be grateful.

With all that being said, Cry
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I'll tell you a little secret. This is my first Lisa Kleypas book. I generally don't read contemporary romance, but the description on this felt a little PNR-ish and I have long heard positive things about this author. So I figured this was a great opportunity to give her a try.

Take a look at the blurb. Frankly, she had me at "Man-Without-A-Soul." Unfortunately, when I actually started reading, I was sorely disappointed. I think the description of the story is accurate, but let me tell you abou
D.G.
Check out this review and others at badassbookreviews.com

Lisa Kleypas has been one of my favorite authors for a long, long time. I don’t think she walks on air and I’ve certainly not loved everything she’s written but I can’t remember the last time I was so disappointed by one of her books. While reading Crystal Cove, I was in disbelief that a writer known for her romantic love stories and great character/plot development would write a book with an insta-love trope and plot holes the size of tan
Liz*

I NEED HELP.

I'm done with these series. For real. I LOVED the first book, so sweet and romantic. I loved the hot, sexy scenes and the way the characters connected.

This?
Instalove/Instalust.

Jason was a controlling, self-absorbed, super rich ass and I couldn't stand him. There was some BDSM elements in the story, elements I'm not familiar with, elements I don't look for in a sweet family story.

Friday Harbor series started as a romantic book for the holidays and ended up as a Paranormal series. I
SheLove2Read
**Note: my views on this book are my own and not directed toward any one person(s), event or lifestyle. If you have a problem with that, feel free to unfriend.

I have a motto about most things in life: go big or go home. LK certainly went big in this one. She should have gone home. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever considered not finishing a story of hers, and I wish I had gone with my gut and not finished it at all.

The synopsis, for once, is fairly dead on, so I won't rehash
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Lisa Kleypas stretches her wings in CRYSTAL COVE, venturing farther than she has ever before. Though her signature voice is still very much present, she also delves deeper into the paranormal aspect that has sprinkled this series so far. The paranormal element is played up much more since Justine is a witch and belongs to a coven and her mother has cast a spell on that prevents her from ever falling in love.

Now, Justine and Jason are facing a curse that once uplifted could cause dire consequence
Pamela(AllHoney)
Crystal Cove is the fourth book in Lisa Kleypas' Friday Harbor series. Justine Hoffman is the proprietor of of a Bed and Breakfast in Friday Harbor. She is also a reluctant witch. She discovers that someone put a curse on her that she would never fall in love. Jason Black is a man without a soul but that doesn't mean he has no feelings.

A bit strange for me. I liked it but didn't love it. It didn't grabbed me like Lisa Kleypas usually does. It may have something to do with the whole witchcraft s
Cat
I love Kleypas. She's one of my few auto-buys, and has been since her days writing historicals. I greatly enjoyed her Texas books, so I know she can write contemporary well, but if I wasn't reading these Friday Harbor novels on my Nook I'd throw them across the room.

Crystal Cove is the most maddening entry into the series yet. Everyone, even characters we'd met before and had their own books, came across as bland, flat, and stock. Please don't get me started on Priscilla and her charming Souther
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
I just finished Dream Lake and I want this installment.

I love that we readers are truly the luckiest people out there in our crazy world that we get to read these magical stories!
Mimi Smith

Wow. I think I was more disappointed in this book than any other LK one. And Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor set quite a high (or low as it were) bar on that one.

Let's just make two thing clear: I'm a girl who loves magic. I love it in my books, movies, you name it. I've waited and am still waiting for that late Hogwarts letter and have watched Charmed like a thing possessed.

The second thing is: I love Lisa Kleypas. I love the Travises and the Wallflowers and I think she's an amazing wr
Miriam Stern
And I'm done with Crystal Cove...

It was okay. I'm giving it four stars because it has witchcraft and because it also has a gamer as a main character (although Jason is a bit unrealistic as a gamer... Please...)

Things I really liked: Jason and Justine are sweet and loving and it's a nice chemistry.

Things I didn't like: it's a little fast paced, and a bit TOO unrealistic, too many small twists but nothing too significant.

You can see part of the ending miles away and where are the other Nolans!?!
Bekah
Laughter, tears, and an intensely hot love affair contained within a mere 300 pages? Why yes, I am reading a Lisa Kleypas book (and loving every second of it)! Lisa gives to us Crystal Cove, a place where magic literally does happen. A place where a cursed witch fated to never love, dares to break a horribly dangerous curse all in the hopes that she will just feel love for once in her life....and then she meets an enigmatic man with no soul.

Justine Hoffman, a hereditary witch who struggles to f
Lauren
Crystal Cove
3 Stars

Crystal Cove reminds me of the film Practical Magic only not nearly as entertaining or satisfying. It seems to have all the right ingredients but simply falls flat.

Justine starts out as a feisty, take no prisoners heroine but turns into a submissive doormat willing to forgive all transgressions merely because she has the hots for Jason. She is also the worst witch I've ever encountered.

Jason has potential as a tortured hero and his description as "a man without a soul" is ver
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B

In this latest Friday Harbor book, Justine is a witch who refuses to join her mother’s coven. She’s currently estranged from her mom who wanted Justine to be someone she’s not and didn’t agree with Justine wanting to follow her own dreams and open a B&B. The bad feelings between the two get even worse when Justine figures out that her mom cast a spell on her as a young girl so that she would never find love. Her mom’s heart was broken wh
Bella Grace
Feb 26, 2013 Bella Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LK fans!
Recommended to Bella by: Myself, 'cause I rock. Duh.
Love, but some itty-gritty things were real bothersome. Let me tell you, Kleypas never gets it wrong, and this book is an aberration in consideration of her other works.

A whole lotta insta-love, but when it's LK, you can't give her anything less than at least 4 stars for any of her books.

Review to come + info on the Friday Harbor series. Are there more books or no? Hmph.
Kitana
I feel I should explain myself, as I'm sure many people will consider two stars a negative rating.
First off, from me, two stars is not bad. I am hard on books. It basically means I enjoyed reading it, but re-reading will probably not happen.

This is a good story. The characters are emotionally engaging and easy to relate to, the plot has some nice little twists, and the story has been written with finesse and edited well.
If you like romance and are intrigued by a little exposure to some slightly
Glamdring

I really had a hard time rating this book.

The story was well written and had some beautiful quotations but I couldn’t really connect.

I found that there were a lot of inconsistencies with Justine character as well as the story. Some serious things happen to her but after a first strong reaction they just seem to be forgotten. Same for Jason who lacked charisma, and for a clever man, did several pretty stupid things.

At the very beginning I liked their relationship but after that I couldn’t belie
Kristina
I had to put this book down so many times during the course of reading. Not because it was boring or I had things to do, but because I had to stop reading long enough for the tears to dry up. Wow, what a tearjerker, in the best of ways. I cried for love, loss, faith, sacrifice, fear, anticipation, you name it, I felt it. It ripped my heart out and put me all back together and then did it again. Personally, I love when books put me on an emotional roller coaster.

If you've read the other books in
Aly is so frigging bored
Rating: 5+*

Quote:
“Why read something over and over when you already know the ending?” Justine asked.
“Because a good happily-ever-after is worth reading more than once.”

From start(11PM) to finish(7AM) I was exactly as that kid :D

Me while reading the book

7AM :))
Lynsey A
3.5* This was another good read by Kleypas. The story was good it just seemed to move so fast. It did have me tearing up a little near the end. Justine's mother was awful. I wish we would have had a scene at he end where she got to see that her daughter was happy despite all she did, kind of like a "neener, neener" moment. :-)

The Tick
Kelly
My Rating: 3.0

Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

Let me start with this: I absolutely love, love, love Lisa Kleypas' books. Seriously, I'm addicted. So when I won Crystal Cove, the last book (I'm not really sure if it's the last book yet) in Lisa Kleypas' Friday Harbor series from a goodreads First Reads giveaway, I was so happy that I was jumping up and down.

The last book in the Friday Harbor series, Dream Lake, left off when Duane and Justine had broken up, which I just couldn't unders
valee
I am ashamed of admitting this but I actually was disappointed about this read. I truly adored the previous books in this series but this one was not at all what I expected.

THE HEROINE BEING A WITCH...
I adore science fiction, completely love paranormal romance as a genre. This might be the reason I was so disappointed with the plot. I have read many books about witches, but this one was the first where we know what she is but very little information is given to us about it. The best part about
KarenA
Big fan of Lisa Kleypas especially her 'Hathaway Series'. I was surprised at how disinterested I was with Justine and Jason. First off, Justine seems like a fairly kickass strong minded individual from the previous books of the Friday Harbor Series, but I didn't have that same vibe in this book. Jason on the other hand felt quite unrealistic for the type of job that he does.

Anyway, book felt a bit rushed, characters weren't developed like they usually are, and the paranormal influence in Crysta
Jane Kriel
I feel so ambivalent about Crystal Cove. I wanted to like Justine. I even wanted to like no-soul Mr Black. But I just couldn't.

Firstly, the BDSM stuff was so out of left field. During one particular moment, I just kept thinking of Gordan Ramsay tying up a piece of meat with cooking string. Maybe because the safe word was "chicken". This was 50 shades of I just lost my appetite for Mom's Sunday roast.

And I'm fine with some paranormal elements but this just made no sense. (view spoiler)
We Love Lisa Kleypas: * Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor #4), by Lisa Kleypas 50 167 Mar 29, 2014 08:32AM
  • It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)
  • A Christmas Present
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • Summer Days (Fool's Gold, #7)
  • The Duke's Match Girl - A Fiery Tale Novella (Fiery Tales, #4.5)
  • Ride with Me
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • Her Perfect Match (Mistress Matchmaker, #3)
  • That Thing Called Love (Razor Bay #1)
More about Lisa Kleypas...
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)

“My point is, when someone is hurting you, they can call it whatever the hell they want. They can even call it love. But words lie, actions don’t.” 16 likes
“You shouldn’t rule out second chances. Sometimes they come with interesting bonus features.” 14 likes