Start by marking “Pandora's Curse” as Want to Read:
Pandora's Curse

Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,335 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
During World War II, in a secret Nazi submarine base, containers crafted entirely from looted wartime gold were hidden away. The treasure was not the solid gold chests, but the cargo they carried--an artifact so lethal that whoever possessed "Pandora's boxes" held the power to unleash hell upon the Earth... In the unforgiving wastes of Greenland, geologist Philip Mercer un ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Onyx Books

To ask other readers questions about Pandora's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandora's Curse

David
Jul 16, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really interesting action\adventure novel that is pretty much a Clive Cussler novel. I enjoy those novels to an extent, never elevating them to a level of greatness, but I find the plots interesting.

This one has a plot that rivals ANYTHING Cussler ever came up with. A clever Nazi scheme, mysterious radioactivity, and a modern mining engineer sent along to make certain an old American base remains secure and safe to enter.

From there it follows the Clive Cussler formula writing that ha
Rita McDowell
May 31, 2014 Rita McDowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and Extremely Interesting!

Strongly recommend this read to anyone who enjoys excitement! While maybe not historically correct, it will definitely tweak the imagination as to the possibility of what might have happened?? Excellent writing and well worth the time to read! Some characters will be loved and some?? Enjoy!
Kristin Lundgren
Sep 26, 2011 Kristin Lundgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Nice entry in the Philip Mercer series, although this one takes place on the high seas, and you miss the supporting cast, although one of his later friends emerges this trip around. Set mostly in Greenland, with some high seas events, this one gave me a lot to think about, unusal in a thriller. For some reason, many of the things he was talking about resonated with me. But when the hero had to take action, it is an action book, and the consequences were grave - millions if not billions of lives ...more
Dark Star
Dec 14, 2014 Dark Star rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read anything by Jack Du Brul but I will definitely be checking out more. The main character, Mercer, a geologist gets caught up in Nazi pillage, meteorite pieces that can destroy the world, and the wilds of Greenland. Great story with lots of action and a great plot. Great ending too.
Gordon Wulff
Sep 02, 2015 Gordon Wulff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Riveting Winner

An entertaining and entreating blend of History and fiction. Phillip Mercer is lovable rogue that uses a combination of experience and intellect to vanquish his evil foes.
Jim Davis
Great read full of twists and turns.

My favorite Mercer book so far. Full of twists and turns. The action never stops until the end comes to an abrupt stop.
Wendi Yarborough
Great book

It's a great adventure read, full of improbable and suspenseful action. I enjoy reading about different regions in the world.
Shaft
Jun 03, 2012 Shaft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth outing of Phillip Mercer and a far more enjoyable romp than the previous book. The story is more interesting and the characters a little deeper. I agree with those who compare Du Brul favourably with Clive Cussler and so does the man himself it seems as they now work together. This is a return to form for Mercer and definitely worth a read.
Lee
Phillip Mercer is sent to Greenland to help unearth a buried US Army base. When they start finding bodies both new and old, as ties to a German company and the Nazi's are revealed will a long dormant superweapon be unleashed upon the world. Good read.
Hristina Ivanova
I'm not a fan of Du Brul. At all. I don't like his way of writing and find his book utterly boring. I've given his pieces a try several times and none was a success, this one included.
Nigel
Mar 28, 2012 Nigel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read with strong characters if a little far fetched in places really liked it being set in Greenland as this added another dimension to the story
Tony Pucci
Jul 20, 2012 Tony Pucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. The action moves quickly from one high note to the next. Lots of interesting narrative strings all eventually interwoven into an intriguing story.
Edward
Jan 25, 2016 Edward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another epic read. I wish I had 150 million dollars to make this into a franchise. I look forward to reading more of Philip Mercer's adventures.
Mason
Jul 28, 2008 Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Another winner from Jack DuBrul. This was a good adventure story. I have read the previous Phillip Mercer books and they get better with each one.
Hayley
Jul 22, 2011 Hayley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was based upon good and interesting ideas but a bit too far-fetched. Good adventure as long as you put logic on a shelf.
Kazi Rafi
Feb 23, 2013 Kazi Rafi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best action/adventure novels I have read till date. Keeps you on the edge of your seat from the first page till the last !
Beth
Dec 26, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like action/suspense and want a quick read.
Had never heard of the author before I picked up to read and release, but really enjoyed this and will read more by the author.
Sheldon Lehman
Jun 23, 2011 Sheldon Lehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written story; again, I can see why Cussler wanted to team up with him. They are very similar in style.
Enoch
Mar 21, 2010 Enoch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Mercer is not as good as Mr. Pitt. The characters were a bit choppy compared to Mr. Clive Cussler's characters.
Paul
Jun 20, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller! Kind of unrealistic and extreme at parts, but had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.
Karla
Apr 15, 2010 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd novel I've read by this author. I liked it better than first - will need to read more of his.
Amanda
Jan 20, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally unbelievable adventure, but fun in the Jack DuBrul style. Fun, mindless adventure.
Janine
Jul 07, 2013 Janine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, adventure
Totally over the top just like an adventure movie where the hero survives everything.
Shawn
Jan 03, 2008 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this thriller by Jack. I hope to see a new book by him soon.
Mark
Feb 18, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercer saves the day again...right up our Cussler/Rollins/Bell alley
Gary
Dec 07, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent Mercer story but the first three were better.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this with my son...definitely a 'guy' book.
Karlene Elliott-mclean
Suspenseful, intriguing, delightful.
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • SecondWorld
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...

Philip Mercer (8 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)