Start by marking “Damage Time” as Want to Read:
Damage Time

Damage Time

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Damage Time is a rock-hard sci-fi thriller from the acclaimed author of Winter Song: no-one here gets out alive.

NEW YORK IS A MESS. It's 2050 and sea-levels have swamped the coastal regions. The walls are failing,the city has been carved up between the Chinese and the Muslims, and the USA isbankrupt.Detective Peter Shah serves with the NYPD as a Memory Association Speciali
Mass Market Paperback, 465 pages
Published October 26th 2010 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Damage Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damage Time

Ivan
I picked this book at random from the library shelf as it was tagged as science fiction. Really it's a police thriller from the near future, with the central science concept being memory ripping. This idea isn't terribly well explained at first, but takes on a bit more solidity as the book progresses. I am not normally a huge fan of crime/police thrillers but I have to admit this one was fairly engrossing. It has some interesting characters and also some thoughtful ideas about the world of the n ...more
Alison C
In Damage Time, by Colin Harvey, we find ourselves in New York City in 2050, after the collapse of most of Western civilization. Pete Shah has worked for many years as a cop, specializing in the Memory Association field, in which he is able to "read" the last moments in the lives of murder victims. The technology exists to "rip" memories from individuals, who lose the memories that are taken (voluntarily or otherwise); those memories can then be sold to others for their entertainment. But when a ...more
DeAnna Knippling
A solid read, even though I wanted to strangle the editors. I realize this is a U.S. edition, but some effort to manage quotation marks in a consistent manner--or just leave them as British, good grief--would have been nice. Also, some chapters that felt really thin and random toward the end, a lot of loose threads weren't wrapped up, and the title notion, that of "damage time," never really got the consistent thematic attention it deserved. As it was, it was just a cool-sounding title.

Overall,
Bingo
Like a live glimpse into the real life of a real police detective from our world in 2050. It was easy to take an interest in the main character who faces some challenges I never would have suspected. Anything is possible in New York, of course. The references to NY Rangers Hockey set the background up nicely, it gives us the good title, a new-future hockey term, and tells us exactly where officer Shah finds himself through most of the story.

One reviewer on this board remarked that he liked that
Andy Gibb
Strange to pick this up after my recent reading and find, "...as the oil began to run out, humanity was at its technological apex." Apart from the shiny spaceships and galactic empires brigade, I can't think of one speculative fiction writer who's penning anything but a dystopic future, and Colin was no exception. Climate change, failure of the Gulf Stream and California walling itself off all play supporting roles here.

This is the first book I've read to present the word dieback in a human cont
Ove
I picked up Damage Time since I loved Colin Harvey’s debut novel Winter Song so much. And I am more impressed than ever with his craftmanship this is a totally different kind of story.

Damage Time is a classic noir at first glance. Detective Pervez (Pete) Shah is drinking in a bar when gorgeous dame Aurora Debonis enters in need of his help and after a night in his place she disappears and a body is found. It has some of the classic themes of the genre ‘The Setup’, ‘The Fame Fatale’ and ‘The Boss
R.B. Harkess
This ended up as being a nice surprise. I confess I approached the book in some trepidation. The other book I had read by this author failed to impress, and I was worried that if I didn't li, e this one then I would be austracised by the Bristol sf community.
I need not have worried. damage time is pacy, and is a true sf novel in that it is not just set in the future, but relies on future technology to make the story work. so many police procedural/ crime books set in the future are marketed as s
Loki Carbis
Very enjoyable science fiction mystery set in a post-oil world. Made me think a lot of the film "Strange Days" (which is high praise coming from me). Will have to check out other books by this author.
Aliette
A great noir thriller in an environment where every resource is scarce and calories are rationed--and where memory can be ripped and manipulated... Colin Harvey excels at portraying this grim future, and the noir plot goes wonderfully well with the setting.
Rob
Another case of Colin Harvey getting better as his books have gone along. Without a doubt his best book yet. Whilst it didn't have the sci-fi Norse element that I loved about Winter Song this had the stronger story.
Pete Aldin
Dec 23, 2011 Pete Aldin marked it as abandoned
Meh. Gave up after forcing myself through about 180 pages. I was expecting more based on the reviews and found the story choppy and the plot hard work to focus on. Nice cover art though.
Lando
Good book. Interesting take on consciousness upload. More detective noir than scifi but that's its strength.
Brad
Oct 23, 2011 Brad rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Some interesting dystopian ideas but overall too many bad things happen in the story to keep me interested.
Greg
A pretty good book, but I think just a little bit too much sex in it for my taste...
Steve
Steve added it
Mar 05, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Vlad
Vlad added it
Nov 16, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 30, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
British SF writer Colin Harvey, 50, died August 15, 2011 of a stroke.

First published in 2001, Colin was the author of six novels, the last of which is Damage Time which was published in October 2010.

He was also the editor of the Black Quill and British Fantasy Award nominated anthology Killers, and the SF anthology Future Bristol, which has had glowing reviews from Albedo One and The Fix. His most
More about Colin Harvey...
Winter Song The Silk Palace Future Bristol Transtories Lightning Days