Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)

Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,648 ratings  ·  80 reviews
When a high society jewel thief winds up drowned at the bottom of a pool with a tacky garden gnome tied to her ankles, Nora must swing into action to save her old flame from a hasty murder charge.
Published July 1st 2003 by Penguin Group (USA)

LJ
DEAD GIRLS DON’T WEAR DIAMONDS – G+
Nancy Martin – 2nd in series
The wife of Nora Blackbird’s old flame, Flan, is found drowned in a pool with a garden gnome tied to her ankles. Nora, with the help of her mob-related boyfriend and very pregnant sister, sets out to save Flan from a murder charge.

This is a very light, fun series, somewhat in the vein of Stephanie Plum.
Sue
This was an enjoyable light read but I have to admit that the relationships are starting to work on my nerves. The main character is thoroughly inconsistent regarding her opinions on her "boyfriend" (hates that his family is purportedly mobbed up, but then she's appalled that he wants nothing to do with them). Makes you wonder how someone who's related to tons of criminals and low lifes(dead husband was a drug addict, sister is probably an alcoholic, parents are tax evaders on the run, brother i...more
Cindy
I started this new series, It looked interesting at the used book store. They didn't have the first book but I was able to catch up in the second. I thought it was good, It is kind of like the plum series, but she is a reporter for a newspaper, and tries to solve murders involving friends. She is kind of teamed up with a cop, and is dating a suppose mob guy. Over all it was cute and exciting, I guess it would have to be seeing how I finished it in 2 days.
Lizz
The thing I love about series is that you get to know the characters so well, the author has time to really make them seem like real people. The mysteries in these books aren't difficult to solve long before the end of the book, but the characters are more fun than a monkey at the mall!!
Jessica
Cute, mindless drivel. A 24-hour read chock full of eccentric characters that left me smiling.
Stephanie
When Nora Blackbird runs into her college sweetheart, Flan Cooper at a celebration event for his father, they play catch-up and reminisce about the good times. But that good night quickly turns sour when in a jealous rage, Flan's wife Laura picks a fight with Nora thinking that the two are more than just friends.

Nora manages to calm Laura down and assure her that her relationship with Flan (that name!) is completely innocent. Laura breaks down and confides to Nora about her misery and the unstab...more
Cherisse
Suzanne
I love Nora and the Blackbird Sisters! I will continue to read them because they are fun. However,I did notice in this last read that sometimes the author, Nancy Martin, leaves holes in the story. Several times I struggled to catch up to something that I guess I was supposed to have understood and did not. These spaces do not ruin the story for me, but I notice them, and they are the reason for the three star rating instead of four this time.
Megan
I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying this series as much as I do. The main character is a former rich society girl who doesn't know how to do much of anything that most people would consider work and who faints at inopportune times (which actually translate to dramatic times in terms of the novel). Yet I find myself charmed by the Blackbird sisters, who seem determined to make the most out of their lot (or else are pigheaded enough to blaze ahead without care or consideration -- I haven't decided...more
Betty
In the second book of the Blackbird Sisters, we find Nora working to solve the mystery of the wife of an old flan Flan Cooper was found dead in as shallow pool of water. His father Oliver Cooper is about to be name the new Transportation Secretary. Nora bumps into the FBI during her investigation. Michael helps her out. Can Nora solve the problems before Libby gaves birth.
Susan
I re-read this one after some time. I enjoyed the book this time too, and will be rereading the others as I come across them. The book is a good light read, with some interesting (and a bit wacky) characters.
Lorelie
Love a good mystery! Fun characters. Love the premise of the series. Always cool to see someone overcoming hard times... looking forward to book #3!
Kathleen
Overall an enjoyable read, but the characters could use a little more bulk. Nora, the main character, is inconsistent in her behavior towards her "boyfriend" the bad boy who is really not bad. One minute she hates that he has a criminal past and the next thing you know she is using his criminal connections and skills to assist in her sleuthing. Her sisters are ridiculous in every sense; one is a crazy hippie always chasing a new fad and the other is a sex kitten who is always drinking or smoking...more
Cindy
These are so far a fun little murder mystery with of course romance thrown in.
Joan Horkey
Very fun read! Nancy Martin is very entertaining and talented.
Marjorie
Quite funny and very entertaining.
Taryn
Great book. The whole series is good.
Kate
For anyone who is a fan of Stephanie Plum, Nora Blackbird is the girl for you! This series is to Philadelphia society what the Plum series is to the New Jersey working class. In both cases there are too many love interests, fun, uncomplicated side stories, and decent murder mysteries that keep your interest without taxing your brain. Good fun and you don't really need to start at the beginning, though there is some back story you might miss.
Alice
I love series books! Guess that goes back to Nancy Drew. A fun look at Philadelphia society and the Blackbird sisters who, while still members of Mainline society, are dead broke. Nora has taken a job as a society columnist to make ends meet. A high society jewel thief ends up in the bottom of a pool with a garden gnome tied to her ankles. Nora must help save her old boyfriend from murder charges by solving the crime.
Christi
It was a fast, easy read.
The heroine? Kind of bland.
Her maybe/sorta boyfriend who may have mob ties? He's no Ranger.
The local cop? He's no Morelli.
Her sisters? Boring.
Her best friend? Shows up once in the entire book.

I really didn't care about any of the supporting characters. Usually that's what makes these serial murder mystery chick lit books fun. But in this book, they seem to be in the way.

Patti
I liked this one better than the first one. And looking forward to the next!
Mastermia
A very good follow up that takes the opportunity to expand the world while still developing the characters. A solid mystery, palpable chemistry between Nora and Mick and some fun new characters make for a fun read. The only drawback is Libby; Nora’s sister begins to really annoy me this book.

Noelle Arnold
I got this book from the library shelves, read it and immediately put the rest of the series on hold. It is an interesting look into upper crust Philidelphia society and their quirks and triumphs (alongside a murder, of course, and a romance with the son of a crime boss).
Christine
Libby is a pain in the ass, and this book was too short to really address Emma's issues, but Nora is a great main character and the cast around her is awesome too. It'll be interesting to see how her relationship with Michael plays out in future entries.
Jann Barber
This is the second book in the series involving the Blackbird sisters. The characters are still eccentric, there is still a murder, and the romance novel/cozy mystery feel is still strong.

Another quick read if you're looking for something a bit frothy.
Kate
I grabbed this book blindly at the library. I didn't read the first one (not knowing it was a series) but was fine to start at book 2. I was delighted w/the book and found myself seeking out book 3 :) Reminded me a little of the Janet Evonovich series.
Heather
This was a quick read (three evenings after work and I was done.) The end was a bit far fetched, but, then again, for a murder mystery series, you have to get creative when the main character is constantly solving murders in her town.
Cindy Christiansen
Well, I didn't love it. I felt like the characters were all over the top and the author tried too hard. I had a hard time sticking with the book, liking the characters or caring what happened. Sorry. I really wanted to like it.
Teddi
am enjoying this series except for one thing. If the author keeps writing sister Libby as such a brainless idiot, I will stop reading. Are there people in real life that flake because I've never met one and I hope I never do!
Tina
I found this story to be rather enjoyable. Quite often I enjoy a nice and uncomplicated story like this one. There was nothing that I didn't like about this story. I will definitely read more stories by this author in the future.
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)
  • Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
Winner of the 2009 Lifetime Achievement award for mystery writing from Romantic Times magazine, Nancy Martin announces the release of the 8th book in her popular Blackbird Sisters mystery series, NO WAY TO KILL A LADY. Set in Philadelphia, the story features three heiresses whose parents have run off with their trust funds. Now thay have a chance to regain their wealth when their aunt, "Madcap Mad...more
More about Nancy Martin...
How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1) Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3) Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4) Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #5) Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)