Start by marking “Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)

Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,107 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Giving up my socialite life to get a real job writing a society column for a Philadelphia paper hasn't worked out as well as I hoped. The developers still want to turn the Blackbird estate into an outlet mall. My eccentric sisters are convinced I need a dog, a baby or a keeper. And now I'm falling hard for a Jersey tough guy with criminal connections. On top of my family f ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds

Jacob Proffitt
While stronger than the first, there's still enough wobbly bits to keep this from being as strong as I feel it could be. Nora and Michael are still a delight. I was worried, at first, that they had "taken a break" from each other between the two books as I thought Martin would use that to reset their relationship. Which she did, but not it a bad way.

I worry that their relationship is the strongest part of the book. Michael is just lovely (in a hard-core, competent way) and his interactions with
Nancy Martin – 2nd in series
The wife of Nora Blackbird’s old flame, Flan, is found drowned in a pool with a garden gnome tied to her ankles. Nora, with the help of her mob-related boyfriend and very pregnant sister, sets out to save Flan from a murder charge.

This is a very light, fun series, somewhat in the vein of Stephanie Plum.
This was an enjoyable light read but I have to admit that the relationships are starting to work on my nerves. The main character is thoroughly inconsistent regarding her opinions on her "boyfriend" (hates that his family is purportedly mobbed up, but then she's appalled that he wants nothing to do with them). Makes you wonder how someone who's related to tons of criminals and low lifes(dead husband was a drug addict, sister is probably an alcoholic, parents are tax evaders on the run, brother i ...more
It had potential but the ending was so weak and mediocre.
Lea Bourg'
When Laura, the wife of Flan, one of her ex lover, was found drowned in a swimming pool, Nora can't help trying to help her old friend by discovering who killed his wife and therefore proving his innocence. Except between babies, lies, thefts of jewelry and burglary, Nora still has surprises in store ...
A better book than the previous one but I still regret that the investigation isn't longer and more complex.
However, I love the writing style and especially the completely crazy characters =)
Catherine Leggitt
Terrifically fun, light-hearted romp through the aristocratic world of Philadelphian society. Nancy Martin has penned a sumptuous series--the Blackbird Sisters Mysteries--featuring wealthy Nora Blackbird as the principle sleuth. Nora is plunged into another murder investigation after attending a party where the super-neurotic wife of her old college boyfriend is found drowned in the koi pond after raving wildly to Nora about an imagined affair.

Nora is recently widowed and, thus, qualifies as one
I started this new series, It looked interesting at the used book store. They didn't have the first book but I was able to catch up in the second. I thought it was good, It is kind of like the plum series, but she is a reporter for a newspaper, and tries to solve murders involving friends. She is kind of teamed up with a cop, and is dating a suppose mob guy. Over all it was cute and exciting, I guess it would have to be seeing how I finished it in 2 days.
I liked this even better than the first one in the series. Nora is easy to identify with. Naturally, I'm mini-crushing on Mick. Nice story-telling, and the characters are quite consistent so far, especially the sisters. Although Libby's kind can get on my nerves. Or is she supposed to?
Needless to say, the next one is high on my list. I'm hoping for a nice little showdown with the obnoxious Kitty in the near future.
The thing I love about series is that you get to know the characters so well, the author has time to really make them seem like real people. The mysteries in these books aren't difficult to solve long before the end of the book, but the characters are more fun than a monkey at the mall!!
Book two of the Blackbird Sisters / Widows will grab you from the start. Nora's in her element when she attends the Cooper's party, but when college sweetheart Flan (Flanders) Cooper corners her, trouble begins to brew. Flan's wife Laura accuses them of having an affair, pitches a hissy-fit, then steals Nora's ring. The next morning, Laura Cooper is dead and, of course, Nora starts snooping around. Jewel theft, abusive men, and cover ups are just some of the rocks Nora turns over. With the help ...more
Cute, mindless drivel. A 24-hour read chock full of eccentric characters that left me smiling.
The death was ruled as a suicide...but high society reporter Nora Blackbird finds that hard to believe. The dead woman is Laura Cooper, a woman who stole jewels from her friends at various charity functions. Nobody liked her, including her husband and family. When the death starts looking like murder, everyone looks to the husband, Flan Cooper, as the culprit. But Nora knows that her old college boyfriend would never kill anybody. Now she must prove it.

This was a nice cozy romance with some humo
This is the second book in the Blackbird Sisters Mystery series, which I started reading because my mom sent me a couple of the later books in the series. I wasn't sure after reading the first one but I did find this one to be more amusing and much quicker to get through than the last.

Covering a party for society page of "The Intelligencer," Nora Blackbird discovers the wife (Laura) of her college ex-boyfriend/friend (Flan) has transformed herself to look like Nora. Laura comes from old money in
When Nora Blackbird runs into her college sweetheart, Flan Cooper at a celebration event for his father, they play catch-up and reminisce about the good times. But that good night quickly turns sour when in a jealous rage, Flan's wife Laura picks a fight with Nora thinking that the two are more than just friends.

Nora manages to calm Laura down and assure her that her relationship with Flan (that name!) is completely innocent. Laura breaks down and confides to Nora about her misery and the unstab
This is #2 in A Blackbird Sisters Mystery. I really enjoyed this one and it is a book you could definitely read in an afternoon. It is witty and there is a nice plot with resolution.

I learned a new word in this one too. Dinatoire is a banquet dinner that people use so they don't have to do a seating chart. Very interesting as this book deals with "old" money and the people that have it.

I am giving it 5 out of 5 and love Nora Blackbird.
I love Nora and the Blackbird Sisters! I will continue to read them because they are fun. However,I did notice in this last read that sometimes the author, Nancy Martin, leaves holes in the story. Several times I struggled to catch up to something that I guess I was supposed to have understood and did not. These spaces do not ruin the story for me, but I notice them, and they are the reason for the three star rating instead of four this time.
Julie Mink
Just as much fun as the first mystery. Now that I have started this series it will be hard to stop before I have caught through the current installment. The many quirks of the Blackbird sisters keep me reading and laughing. A good series for those who like Janet Evanovich's book. Nora and Mick's relationship is heating up and I need to get into the next book now.
I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying this series as much as I do. The main character is a former rich society girl who doesn't know how to do much of anything that most people would consider work and who faints at inopportune times (which actually translate to dramatic times in terms of the novel). Yet I find myself charmed by the Blackbird sisters, who seem determined to make the most out of their lot (or else are pigheaded enough to blaze ahead without care or consideration -- I haven't decided ...more
In the second book of the Blackbird Sisters, we find Nora working to solve the mystery of the wife of an old flan Flan Cooper was found dead in as shallow pool of water. His father Oliver Cooper is about to be name the new Transportation Secretary. Nora bumps into the FBI during her investigation. Michael helps her out. Can Nora solve the problems before Libby gaves birth.
Nora Blackbird returned in the second installment in this cozy series with a helluva case on her hands. With her sister Libby's who entered the final stages of her pregnancy, she had a lot more drama on her hands. Land developers wanted to turn their farm into an outlet mall, while she continued to fall hard for Mick, and her family continued to feud along the way. As she tried to make ends meet as a society columnist for the local newspaper, a high jewel thief had wounded up drowning at a pool. ...more
This one was just as good as the first one and keeps you just as on edge. Another book i didn't want to put down. Even at the end i was hoping it wasn't the end.
Love a good mystery! Fun characters. Love the premise of the series. Always cool to see someone overcoming hard times... looking forward to book #3!
Kelly Davis
I find the characters getting more and more irritating. Nora is confusing and wishy washy. I won't be reading anymore of this series.
Overall an enjoyable read, but the characters could use a little more bulk. Nora, the main character, is inconsistent in her behavior towards her "boyfriend" the bad boy who is really not bad. One minute she hates that he has a criminal past and the next thing you know she is using his criminal connections and skills to assist in her sleuthing. Her sisters are ridiculous in every sense; one is a crazy hippie always chasing a new fad and the other is a sex kitten who is always drinking or smoking ...more
A mystery full of suspense without spook. An intelligent caper. Fun to read.
These are so far a fun little murder mystery with of course romance thrown in.
Joan Horkey
Very fun read! Nancy Martin is very entertaining and talented.
Cozy mysteries are relatively new for me and I haven't been disappointed yet!
Maureen Hetzel
Charming characters and interesting plot. Not a literary wonder but thoroughly entertaining. A good read for a plane ride!
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • A Done Deal (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #5)
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
Winner of the 2009 Lifetime Achievement award for mystery writing from Romantic Times magazine, Nancy Martin announces the release of the 8th book in her popular Blackbird Sisters mystery series, NO WAY TO KILL A LADY. Set in Philadelphia, the story features three heiresses whose parents have run off with their trust funds. Now thay have a chance to regain their wealth when their aunt, "Madcap Mad ...more
More about Nancy Martin...

Blackbird Sisters Mystery (10 books)
  • How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3)
  • Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
  • Little Black Book of Murder (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #9)
  • A Little Night Murder (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #10)