Start by marking “The Biggest Snowman Ever” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  38 reviews
An adorable seasonal story from a New York Times bestselling author!

FORMAT: Paperback book & CD
NARRATOR: Skip Hinnant

When the mayor of Mouseville announces the town snowman contest, Clayton and Desmond claim that they will each make the biggest snowman ever. But building a huge snowman alone is hard! They work and work, but their snowmen just aren't big enough.

As the d
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Biggest Snowman Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biggest Snowman Ever

This story is about two mice who compete to see who can make the biggest snowman. Both Clayton and Desmond are very bright and competitive, so they decided to join forces. Together they make the biggest snowman in Mousville. This book demonstrates to children that competition can be friendly. It also teaches young children about the value of working together rather than working alone. I think this book can serve as great value to children because at a young age children tend to be competitive an ...more
Sophie Riggsby
*Review posted on Mundie Kids on 2/15/2012*

My family loves this story, mostly because we can all relate to little Nell. It's hard being too small and when you ask to help always being reminded that you're too small.

To escape being too little, Little Nell walks into the woods to "watch the snow fall from the sky" and there she finds a few true friends -- Reindeer, Bear Cub and Hare. She tells them that her " won't let me do anything. I could never make a snowman." The friends set up pro

I thought it a nice story and the drawings were cute but for me it was just okay. Little ones I think will enjoy this and it will get them excited to build a snowman themselves (the cold is another story haha ;-) ).

*Read this before putting it away for my niece for christmas*

Julie Barrett
The Biggest Snowman Ever by Steve Kroll
Audio version so I am not seeing the colorful pictures.
They each make a snowman and see what the others have done.
The day of the contest and they had a surprise for everyone. They had both gotten together the day before and combined forces.
3.25 Stars I like snow, I like snowmen...I don't like Miss. While I am willing to forgive Mice who dress up in scarves and play with snow...I didn't love this book. It was fine (yes what every author hopes to hear about their book...fine) but there wasn't anything that stood out. So go out, combine you efforts and make a big snowman!!!
Meg McGregor
A sweet story about a snowman building contest and two friends who decide to combine their talents to make the biggest snowman ever!

Little ones will love the repetitive text and the whimsical illustrations.

But, I have to admit, my favorite snowman built, was the Martian Snowman.

Something about those eyes!
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
By Steven Kroll
Illustrations By Jeni Bassett
Grade Levels: K-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/ 580L/2.3
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

This wonderful book is about the town’s snowman building contest, the winner of which will win a prize. After a few days’ time, two contestants discover that their snowmen are equal in size, so in order to win they combine the two to create one massive snowman. By working together they win the prize, which is a large wedge of Swiss cheese. It would be an excell
A cute book for the holiday season. I bought this book to be a part of my advent reading with my boys. It's a bit young for my 14 year old, but my 9 year old seemed to enjoy it. It showed how working together to meet a goal can be a good thing. All in all a good book and we will read again, but I may give it to some younger kids to be able to enjoy next year.
Brooke Birchler
This is a cute story about two mice who work together to build the biggest snowman. This would be a good book to read to children to talk about what you can accomplish when you work together instead of against each other.
Shelby Royalty
This story is about a competition between a town of mice to see who can build the biggest snowman. This book teaches a great lesson about team work. Young students would enjoy this book.
Emily Bernd
This is an adorable story about what it is like to work together. It could be a great read aloud, especially during the winter, to teach students to work together.
a book about teamwork
rather 'twaddly' for our tastes but cute
the snowman really is impressively enormous
All by herself!
I just love stories with mice in them and this picture book was no different. When the mayor announces a prize for the biggest snowman, every mouse has an idea of what they want to build. Desmond and Clayton are determined that each of they creations will be the biggest. What they find out through the story is that by working together, they can accomplish anything! Great feel good story!
Kristi Bernard
The Biggest Snowman Ever is the story of two friends, Desmond and Clayton, who decide to use teamwork and cooperation to achieve a common goal. Along with the other residents of Mouseville, Desmond and Clayton take full advantage of a winter wonderland where snow can bring endless possibilities.

Accompanied by Jeni Bassett's adorable illustrations, Steven Kroll builds a snowy landscape full of fun, friendly competiton, teamwork and snowmen that are bigger than life
Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats)
Mar 20, 2015 Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my daughter
A sweet book that centers around the idea of teamwork. I loved the illustrations in this one because I'm one of those rare women that thinks a mouse is adorable. It was an ingenious way of working a short plotline having the two friends work together. Another thing I thought was cute was that the other contestants in the snowman contest didn't stop at just snowmen. There was a snow princess and a snow martian too.
Cheers and Happy Holiday Readings Kids!
A cute story in which two mice learn that working together can produce a greater effort than both working individually.

The art is nice and the story appropriate. It's not likely to win any major awards or be a household favorite, but it's great for extra, or diversionary reading.

Definitely worth a dollar or two, or checking out from the local library.
A delightful, wintertime story about believing in oneself when the rest of the world doubts you. You can do anything if you put your mind to it, even building The Biggest, Best Snowman ever(with a little help from friends)!
Cute book featuring mice who enter a contest to build the biggest snowman. Turns out that they can build the biggest when they work together! And when they are successful and win first prize, they share it--a big chunk of swiss cheese!

Sweet and charming illustrations by Jeni Bassett.
The contest for the biggest snowman has two mice working against each other, but they're not able to do it on their own. When they start working together they are able to win the contest.
Dec 04, 2008 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2
Two mice set off to build the biggest snowman. Individually, they both build the same sized snowman. They discover that if they build together they can create a biggest snowman.
It is about working together. I really enjoyed the story and it shows people (or mice in this case) have similar ideas and should work together!
This is one of my favorite books to read during the winter. It is a great way to show children how competitors can turn into teammates!
Maria Kiguthi
Cute story about mice in a snowman building contest. Two of them start out as competing and join together to make a great snowman.
A snowman-building contest as a cooperative, rather than competitive, team sport. My 5 year old loved it!
Amanda Becker wood
A cute book about mice friends who decide to work together to build the biggest snowman, EVER.
This was a cute book with a nice story. The fact that is was a quick read was also nice.
Erin Banet
Great story about teamwork! Love this during the holiday season!
A good book especially right around the winter time.
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • A Silly Snowy Day
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve
  • One Snowy Night
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • The Story of Christmas
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash
  • Mooseltoe
  • The Mitten Tree
  • Snowballs
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
Stephen Kroll spoke at schools and conferences all over the world. He was married to the journalist, Kathleen Beckett, and they lived in New York City and an old carriage house in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. When he was not writing or traveling, he played a lot of tennis and walked around looking at everything.
More about Steven Kroll...