Start by marking “Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening” as Want to Read:
Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

A lively and practical guide to organic gardening from a renowned garden expert.
Annie Spiegelman's down-to-earth wit and wisdom create the perfect primer for anyone with a passion for home-grown veggies or fresh-cut flowers, no matter what their skill level, location, or resources. Includes advice on:
-Learning to worship the worm and build a compost pile
-Landscape d
Published February 23rd 2010 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about Talking Dirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Dirt

Laurie
Mar 16, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: gardens-plants
A kind of breezy overview that covers a huge variety of topics. I especially liked the plant recommendations at the end of each chapter.
Kai
Aug 22, 2013 Kai added it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I'd assumed from the title that this book would talk about dirt. It did to some extent, but this already slim volume spent many many more of its page talking about basic gardening techniques - the what, when, where of planting. It's probably useful for the beginning gardener, but I would have loved a little more indepth description and understanding of that dirt, and the millions of microbes it contains and the many functions it performs.
Cynthia
Aug 29, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Great guidebook and resource for gardening. It's so much more readable than the Sunset or Western Gardening books. I wish it was longer though and offered more site specific ideas. I know the author is in SF so I wanted to know about her winters and vegetables. I think it is a little too broad, but still enjoyed it.
Amber
Dec 10, 2010 Amber marked it as to-read
Really enjoying this so far. I can't wait to get back home to Okinawa so I can start my own garden! It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. So far, this book is very informative, and has given me a great bit of knowledge about starting an organic garden.
Deidre
Apr 26, 2011 Deidre rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A gardening how to book with snark, what's not to love! She reccommends weeding with an Ipod, add cocktails and you have a recipe for success! Especially loved the sections on organic pest remedies, compost, tons of seed company & supply resources, took copious notes!
Carrie
Jan 27, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource for conscientious beginner gardeners. In addition to a wide variety of information that span a range of topics, Spiegelman uses humor and real talk about her tips. I'm rereading it and use it as a reference each year.
Kim
Apr 08, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, gardening
I love the way Annie writes (even going so far as telling us to not call her when something goes wrong!). Lots of information for the beginner that isn't too overwhelming.
Joe Wood
Dec 20, 2010 Joe Wood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-leisure
A fun book about organic gardening with information and stories shared in a humorous and memorable way.
Mike
Sep 13, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Not a bad overview of gardening for the beginner, or a refresher for those who need one.
Kim Brunskill
Dec 20, 2010 Kim Brunskill rated it it was amazing
witty, well-written, and incredibly helpful!
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Katia
Katia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Tonya
Tonya rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2012
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Dawn Rich
Dawn Rich rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
nadine
nadine rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Kristy
Kristy added it
Jun 15, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Kelly Smith
Kelly Smith rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
Ambro
Ambro marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
adriana
adriana rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012