Start by marking “Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening” as Want to Read:
Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews

A lively and practical guide to organic gardening from a renowned garden expert.
Annie Spiegelman's down-to-earth wit and wisdom create the perfect primer for anyone with a passion for home-grown veggies or fresh-cut flowers, no matter what their skill level, location, or resources. Includes advice on:
-Learning to worship the worm and build a compost pile
-Landscape d...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about Talking Dirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Dirt

Laurie
A kind of breezy overview that covers a huge variety of topics. I especially liked the plant recommendations at the end of each chapter.
Spryng
Aug 22, 2013 Spryng added it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I'd assumed from the title that this book would talk about dirt. It did to some extent, but this already slim volume spent many many more of its page talking about basic gardening techniques - the what, when, where of planting. It's probably useful for the beginning gardener, but I would have loved a little more indepth description and understanding of that dirt, and the millions of microbes it contains and the many functions it performs.
Cynthia
Great guidebook and resource for gardening. It's so much more readable than the Sunset or Western Gardening books. I wish it was longer though and offered more site specific ideas. I know the author is in SF so I wanted to know about her winters and vegetables. I think it is a little too broad, but still enjoyed it.
Amber
Dec 10, 2010 Amber marked it as to-read
Really enjoying this so far. I can't wait to get back home to Okinawa so I can start my own garden! It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. So far, this book is very informative, and has given me a great bit of knowledge about starting an organic garden.
Deidre
A gardening how to book with snark, what's not to love! She reccommends weeding with an Ipod, add cocktails and you have a recipe for success! Especially loved the sections on organic pest remedies, compost, tons of seed company & supply resources, took copious notes!
Kim
I love the way Annie writes (even going so far as telling us to not call her when something goes wrong!). Lots of information for the beginner that isn't too overwhelming.
Joe Wood
A fun book about organic gardening with information and stories shared in a humorous and memorable way.
Mike
Not a bad overview of gardening for the beginner, or a refresher for those who need one.
Kim Brunskill
witty, well-written, and incredibly helpful!
Katia
Katia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2012
Kristy
Kristy added it
Jun 15, 2012
Ambro
Ambro marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening Annie's Garden Journal: Reflections on Roses, Weeds, Men, and Life Growing Seasons: Half-baked Garden Tips, Cheap Advice about Marriage and Questionable Theories on Motherhood Dear Jack-- I'll Be with You When the Sky is Full of Colors