Start by marking “Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, And Other Leaps Of Faith” as Want to Read:
Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, And Other Leaps Of Faith

Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, And Other Leaps Of Faith

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Following the enormous success of her two bestselling novels, "The Red Tent" and "Good Harbor," award-winning author Anita Diamant delivers a book of intimate reflections on the milestones, revelations, and balancing acts of life as a wife, mother, friend, and member of a religious community.
Before "The Red Tent," before "Good Harbor," before and during six books on cont
Hardcover
Published September 16th 2003 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Pitching My Tent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitching My Tent

Renee Hauge
This is actually more of a 3.5 star book (I'm rounding up because 3 stars is just too low). Nice collection of essays. Some were beautiful. I especially enjoyed "Fireflies" which compared romantic love to married love. Poetically written and so TRUE. Another favorite was "Vigil" about the ICU waiting room. That one really resonated for me. "Midlife, The Beginning" and "My Teacher" were also solid. I found myself craving raspberries after reading Diamant's rhapsody "Heaven on Earth". She is so ri ...more
Lize
This was a collection of her essays and columns. Some of them I found difficult to relate to, but this one is about friendship, and it struck a chord with me:

Girlfriends, in Particular

Women’s friendships are, I think one of the great secrets of the social universe. When you see pairs of women, sometimes threesomes or foursomes, from the outside, it might seem like they are “just” having lunch, or drinking coffee, or walking around the neighborhood, or even shopping. But all this activity is, in
Ahana
I'm neither married nor a mother nor religious, but there is a comfort and warmth to Diamant's writing that touched me. She tells her own stories, because stories are meant to be told. She hasn't got the slightest intention of preaching or telling her reader(s) to live her kind of life. But she's living it and it hasn't been all smooth. But there has been joy and sharing and a growing capacity to have fun in unexpected ways. That's really what she wanted to tell us.
Linda
I like this author's writing, but I'm not a fan of her outlook on life. Reading the favorite columns that she has written over the years would have been more interesting if I viewed life in a similar way. I found myself not agreeing with her, philosophically, on many points. I didn't enjoy it so I decided to stop where I was and move on to another book.
Amber Chaplin
Make sure you have a box of tissues when you read this book. Some of the stories are so touching they make you cry, others make you laugh so hard that you cry again.
Beth
Gah! Really made me wish I was Jewish.
Emilia P
"Despite their ephemerality and downy sensuality...I have never heard raspberries called an aphrodisiac. They do not make you want to do anything but eat more raspberries. Which makes them truly paradisical."

This quote, from an essay on how awesome raspberries are, encompasses Anita Diamant's attitude to writing, life, and the nature of joy. Lush, fleeting, a pleasure in itself, that's the way things are.

I. loved. this. book. A collection of very short essays on - in this order -1)romantic love
Janna
A collection of personal essays by a popular novelist and commentator on Jewish life. Too many of these essays seemed pretentious to me, but I do think it is tricky to write a personal essay that strikes a universal chord with readers yet doesn't come off as being totally impressed with oneself.
Rachel
Compilation of essays about the author's life and family. I particularly enjoyed her references to observing the Sabbath, lighting the candles every Friday night, sharing a moment of warmth and affection with her family.

In the chapter "Joyful Noise," she writes about the importance of music in religious life. "Music can be transforming, transfixing, transcendent. It can break your heart and it can heal you." "Music speaks to the spirit unmediated. Its magic is undeniable . . . As lovely as the l
Maria M. Elmvang
I wasn't terribly impressed by "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant, but had heard many good things about this essay collection, so I thought I'd give her another try. I'm glad I did, because it was a very enjoyable read. Being neither a mother nor a Jew, there were many essays I couldn't relate all that much to, but being a wife and religious (even if it is Christianity rather than Judaism) there were many others that I could. Not a book that "rocked my world", but a pleasant pass-time.

I did enjoy
Janelle
I really enjoyed this collection. Some were a little harder to relate to, especially those about Jewish life but even those were informative and a quick read besides.

All were worth the read, but I did have a few favorites. They include: "Reading Material" in which the name of a dear family friend popped off the pages as the author of the book Ms. Diamant's daughter chose as her first read. The other is "Heaven on Earth" and ode to raspberries, my favorite fruit.
April Driver
Diament offers a journal style non-fiction work of her thoughts and views on her own life. The book covers her religious choices, her views on marriage and parenting and other topics relevant to her life. My favorite chapter was her discussion of "The Red Tent". The only reason I read this book was my love of "The Red Tent". I would not recommend this book as a must read, but if you loved "The Red Tent" you might find Diamant's personal story interesting.
Katie
I wanted to read this book because we used an excerpt from it in our wedding ceremony. (It's called Why Marry? and it's very moving. Read it!) I loved some of the things Diamant said about dogs and also loved the portion about women's friendships, but the book was largely based on her religion and I did not relate to it so much. I like her voice and she portrays herself as a kind and compassionate woman. I just think the book was not exactly a match for me.
Priscilla
Jul 15, 2009 Priscilla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
You would have to be a stone not to be moved by the quotidian and the spiritual as described by Anita Diamant in her memoir. I wish she were my best friend. Don't miss out on this beautifully written collection of essays about a life of humble milestones and Jewish faith. If after reading you declare you can't relate, then do as Anne Sexton admonishes us in her "Words for Dr.Y": 'As Ruth said, "Enlarge the place of thy tent."'
Hester
The book is a compulsively readable collection of essays, many about Jewish life. In some, her honesty and wonder at life's difficulties inspired me. In others, I felt she tried too hard to make American life "Jewish." Jews do not need to read how Thanksgiving can be celebrated "Jewishly"--we already have Sukkot. Thanksgiving is time to be American! She did, however, make me want to celebrate Sukkot. Someplace warm.
Michelle
I WANT THIS BOOK!!! Really badly. I have it checked out from the library, and quite frankly, had to quit reading as I really need my own copy that I can notate places in the book!

3 pages in and already decided!!!! EEEEEKKKKKSSSS!

Friday, July 18, 2008:::::Returned it to the library yesterday, didn't want to, wonder if I could sneak it out and keep it, LOL! Just kidding. But definitely on my Wish List!!!
Sheena
This was an easy read that covered a lot of topics familiar to women, most especially moms and wives. There were many that referenced Jewish life, and not being Jewish they didn't have as much of an effect on me as they likely would a Jewish reader. But I still enjoyed reading it. Probably a good choice for readers familiar and a fan of Diamant's work, and not a first intro for new readers.
Danika
This is a book of essays that the author wrote over a period of 20 years for various publications. It's a VERY fast read and most of the essays are less than 5 pages. She focuses a lot on her faith (Judaism) and it's relationship to other aspects of her life. Nothing super profound, but I like her perspective on most issues.
Robert
Interesting non-fiction, which can be read by chapter topic or straight through. It offers the author's insights on bringing Jewishness into one's life in a modern way that may make religion more accessible to those otherwise disinclined.
JJ
One very inspirational chapter, the rest just somewhat insteresting short reflections on life. At least half the book focused on her religious (jewish) practices which I found educational but not relevant to my own life.
Clarice
Anita Diamant is a great author and it shines through in these personal essays. A lot of the references to her Jewish faith probably went right over my head, but it's inspired me to learn more about their traditions and holidays.
Jen
I love Anita Diamante's writing so much, I'd probably find a way to be inspired reading her grocery list. There's just something about her insight and the thoughtful way she puts words together . . . this book was a treat.
Heathergrady
A collection of essays on marriage, motherhood & friendship with a tinge of spirituality. Had to finish quickly but there were gems I should have captured. Easy to pick up and read as you can since the essays are brief.
Tamela
May 23, 2010 Tamela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"I don't think being an only child caused her any suffering. Like most onlys, she thrived, excelled in verbal skills and charming adults, but is otherwise virtually indistinguishable from children who have siblings."
Cindypbarnard
A collection of articles written by Ms Diamant before she began writing novels.
These are fabulous.
She writes about her own life as so many do but these essays are right on.
Debby
I find Anita Diamant's writing completely ordinary - she offers no new insights nor pearls of wisdom.
p.114 I was surprised that she has no Black, Asian, nor scientist friends.
Kathy
Enjoyed the Red Tent and this is a collection of essays written before RedTent was published from various magazines and such. Looking forward to reading it
Betsy
Lovely collection of essays about life written over a 20 year period by a favorite local author for Boston Globe Magazine.
Leslie
Diamant has a great way of thinking and this collection of her thoughts is both interesting and thought provoking.
Colleen
A mildly interesting collection of essays from the author of The Red Tent. Did not captivate and wow me.
  • Dirt in the Skirt
  • The Future of Man
  • Cautionary Tales (Kindle Single)
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • Surprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • Not Quite Nirvana: A Skeptic's Journey to Mindfulness
  • Bearded Lady
  • The Freedom Writers Diary (Movie Tie-in Edition): How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them
  • Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk about Being Jewish
  • Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election
  • Race, Class, & Gender: An Anthology
  • Educating Your Child In Modern Times:  Raising An Intelligent, Sovereign, & Ethical Human Being
  • Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • To Know as We are Known: Education as a Spiritual Journey
  • The Pocket Pema Chodron
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
Anita Diamant is the author of twelve books -- the newest being THE BOSTON GIRL.

Addie Baum is THE BOSTON GIRL, born in 1900 to immigrant parents who were unprepared for America and its effect on their three daughters. Growing up in the North End, then a teeming multicultural neighborhood, Addie’s intelligence and curiosity take her to the wider world of the 1910s and ‘20s: short skirts, celebrity
More about Anita Diamant...
The Red Tent Day After Night The Last Days of Dogtown Good Harbor Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends