Start by marking “Be Boy Buzz” as Want to Read:
Be Boy Buzz

Be Boy Buzz

I be boy. All bliss boy. All fine beat. All beau boy. Beautiful. "This stunning volume celebrates all things boy." -Publishers Weekly, starred revie" Famed author bell hooks brings us a tight, exuberant story that captures the essence and energy of what it means to be a boy. Chris Raschka's soulful illustrations buzz with a force that is the perfect match for these powerfu ...more
Published December 6th 2004 by Jump At The Sun (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Be Boy Buzz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Boy Buzz

Dec 11, 2015 alana rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
I've never read a book that openly sang the praises of boyhood. Though so many kids' books just focus on boys as the main character, this book looks at a variety of different moods and interests and ties them all with the joys of being a boy. It feels very personal. Like the story should be read to one beloved young boy. I can't imagine a group setting where I would choose this book, but I think it would be wonderful to add to a nursery or to share with family members and close friends. Having s ...more
Molly Toomey
Written in an almost "free verse" style, this book highlights a little african-american boy who is doing different things, such as running, being, laughing, etc. It's a positive book that reminds the little boy that he is something who can be anything he wants to be. This book would be useful in any classroom, but especially within an inner-city classroom that was filled with african-american students who could relate to the book.
Cara Byrne
Oct 27, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
Like other hooks-Raschka collaborations, this book is lively, energetic, and joyful. It is clearly the gendered companion to _Happy to be Nappy_, though this book celebrates black boyhood in a way that is not as tied to their bodies. I think _Grump, Groan, and Growl_ is hooks' best work, as this work has some problematic framing of boyhood, but I appreciate the rhythm and tone of this picture book.
Laura Jones
Apr 22, 2012 Laura Jones rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Be Boy Buzz is a great book to read to boys. Chris Raschka uses very simple illustrations to allow the reader to clearly understand the point of the story. I really enjoyed this book because it is a gender acceptable book that boys would connect to. The book encourages boys to be themselves. I would highly recommend the book.
Lisa  Skripps
Be Boy Buzz, by Bell Hooks, is a wonderful book about a young boy who loves being, well, a boy. The main character, whose name we never learn, is a young African American boy who takes us on a journey explaining all of the things he enjoys doing as a boy. With beautiful illustrations, this book will carry any reader away as they explore the wonderful things about being a boy.
Angela Hutchinson
This book is about the adventures of being a boy. The illustrations are interesting in this book; they are more like chalk drawings. Be Boy Buzz would be a good book for boys to read, because this book displays things that boys normally do. I enjoyed this book because it displays the good and the bad things that boys sometimes will do.
Tiffany Wideman
Be Boy Buzz is a book about being a boy. The sentences and the illustrations were very cute. I would use this book in my classroom to teach tone and not everything has to be written in a traditional way. Many student probably think that writing has to be perfect that is why it is very important to me to emphasize that your writing is unique to you and write exactly how you feel.
Oct 22, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I haven't decided yet whether it's awesome or slightly disappointing that my first bell hooks was her children's book (I've been meaning to read her feminist theory for so long, and just happened to pick this up today without realizing what it was at first). The book is lovely—a young boy describing why he's "in love with being a boy."
Sep 09, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this story, but I just didn't. It didn't help that I didn't really understand it, and the grammar was deliberately awful.

I did, however, like Raschka's illustrations in this context, which is new and different for me.
A rhythmic read aloud celebration of being a boy. Mixed media artwork features images of African American boys with a variety of skin tones. I really liked the way each person was loosely defined by the lines making up their physical forms. PreK-2.
Lisa Rathbun
I can see that people would love this book, but it wasn't a hit for me. My son would totally hate the word "beautiful." Also, the grammar "I be boy running. I be boy jumping" does not resonate for us. As for me, I didn't get adding the word "buzz" at the end. I guess he was buzzing around?
Ryan Miller
Jul 13, 2012 Ryan Miller rated it liked it
This is a nice way to encourage boys to be themselves. It seems to follow boy stereotypes, though, both in the text and the illustrations. I like bell hooks' poetry, but wish she would have pushed some more alternative boy buzz.
Very cute, vibrant illustrations. Read to my youth programming class during storytime presentations.
Kellie Hennessy
Apr 22, 2012 Kellie Hennessy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lt, reviews
A lot of book appeal to the a certain kind of person. This book is a different kind of book that allows for students to see their own language in a book that they do not normally get to see.
Katie Ryder
This book has wonderful illustrations and is all about celebrating being a boy! The rhythm of the text is smooth and is easy to follow. Great book for boys!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 10, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A boy in love with being a boy. Great message.

bell hooks is brilliant. Her minimal text paired with Raschka's art is powerful.
Apr 16, 2011 Tanika rated it liked it
This book is about pride in being a boy, but anyone who reads it would feel proud to be his self or herself. This book has great illustrations and rhymes. Easy to follow along.
Felicia Goodwin
Apr 22, 2012 Felicia Goodwin rated it really liked it
This book is great because of it's multicultural theme and the way it describes boys. It is not stereotypical. It is just a good book for boys.
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Mariya rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2007
Quinteta Mcneill
Quinteta Mcneill rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Claudia rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2007
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2008
Rebecca Brandes
Rebecca Brandes rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Jj rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Maria rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2007
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Travis Miller
Travis Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Damien rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2008
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
  • Goin' Someplace Special
  • Jungle Bullies
  • Look Out, Suzy Goose
Bell Hooks (born Gloria Jean Watkins) is an African-American author, feminist, and social activist. Her writing has focused on the interconnectivity of race, class, and gender and their ability to produce and perpetuate systems of oppression and domination. She has published over thirty books and numerous scholarly and mainstream articles, appeared in several documentary films and participated in ...more
More about bell hooks...