Start by marking “The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)

The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,954 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Long ago, the gods forged Twelve Swords of Power and threw them on the gameboard of life to watch men scramble. But they had forged too well: the Swords could kill the gods themselves.
Now, the gods gone, the Swords are scattered across the land, some held by those of good heart, and some by evildoers.
One is held by Arnfinn, a country boy who knows nothing of Sightblinder
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published June 28th 1995 by Tor Books (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Book of Lost Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Book of Lost Swords

Matthew
Feb 05, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. The writng is pedantic. There's so many interesting possibilities that could be done with the swords and their abilities (and restrictions), yet very little happens. The characters mainly just wander around, say they're "confused by this new and mysterious turn of events"; and eventually have a minor battle at the conclusion of the book.

Same as last book. Probably the same as the next book.
Brent
Aug 14, 2011 Brent rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Not as good as I remembered. The premise has stuck with me for over twenty years, but upon re-reading, the lack of charter development really hindered my enjoyment of this series.
Onefinemess
Aug 03, 2010 Onefinemess rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book starts off with probably my least liked plot device EVER – a kidnapping. If you’ve ever talked books with me, you may have heard me swear up and down about how much I hate kidnappings – because they inevitably just waste time. Character is kidnapped, hundreds or pages are wasted on the rescue, plot continues. You always know they will be rescued, so the way is just interminable to me. I know, I’m impatient.

That being said, there are a few times when kidnappings work. There was one in p
Patricia Hamill
Nov 17, 2012 Patricia Hamill rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
In The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story, Saberhagen finally gives a name and a face to the Ancient One introduced in the First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story to the realm of the Swords.

This story follows Yambu, Zoltan and Ben as they attempt to use Sightblinder, a god forged sword that causes it's bearer to take on the appearance of the most loved (or hated) figures in the imaginations of those who behold him (or her), to save Mark of Tasavalta from a mysterious wizard
D
Mar 07, 2016 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story the saga goes back from fairy tales to a more adventure genre, I think this is one of the better "sword" books so far.
Saberhagen must have had some thing with book number 2. All his second series books I did read so far were much better than 1 and 3.
As always in the sword books, some characters are completely absent while others make a comeback and new ones are introduced. The development of the characters is good enough, Ben a
Kate
Aug 05, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Jefferson Coombs
Feb 01, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read the Sword books in high school. I remember liking them and enjoying having the magic revolve around the weapon rather than a person. In this series I remember liking some books more than others so some of them should probably be rated 4 stars but I don't remember which were the better ones, it has been too many years. This will be the same review for all of the books in the series except for the last two which were published after I left high school and so were not read at the same time.
Melissa
May 11, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The titles of these books is misleading because it's not really "Sightblinder's Story". It's just a continuation of the characters from the first trilogy. Even though I enjoyed it, this book annoyed me because Sightblinder is different than in previous books. The idea of the person holding the sword shape-shifting in front of people's eyes almost continuously for no apparent reason is lame.
Tanglebones
Feb 21, 2011 Tanglebones rated it liked it
Another one of Saberhagen's (such a perfect name for this series!) Swords books; this one drags in places, and I don't feel particularly invested in Zoltan, one of the PoV characters. Ben and the Silver Queen are much more interesting characters, and don't get enough screen time.
Alex
Dec 01, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
see first book of swords for my review of the series. Its been a while so I may blunder but I seem to recall there weren't any exceptions to the awesomeness outside of the fact that the first three were a little slower than the rest.
Mariana
Jan 01, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it
Again, I liked the characters in this book. Also in this volume, many people band together to overthrow the bad guy. There was no one hero.
Christopher Murphy
Jan 12, 2014 Christopher Murphy rated it liked it
The fight between Shieldbreaker and Sightblinder is what makes this volume three stars rather than two :D
Mj
Apr 09, 2016 Mj rated it it was ok
Although I was recommended this series, I found these to be a hard read. Just couldn't get into it. Perhaps if I'd read Book 1 first, it might've been easier.
John Pensmith
John Pensmith rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Giancarlo
Giancarlo rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Dwarhound
Dwarhound rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2007
Kirk Johnson
Kirk Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Ktntx
Ktntx rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Danel
Danel rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Waynestennett
Waynestennett rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2010
Adrian Brown
Adrian Brown rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it liked it
May 23, 2010
Tim Jones
Tim Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Dustin Stephens
Dustin Stephens rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2007
Alain Tessier
Alain Tessier rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
J.T. Humber
J.T. Humber rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria (Thongor, #1)
  • The Book of Silence (The Lords of Dûs, #4)
  • The Secular Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #4)
  • Realms of the Underdark (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #4)
  • Mythology 101
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Unicorn Variations

Lost Swords (8 books)
  • The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story (Lost Swords, #1)
  • The Third Book of Lost Swords: Stonecutter's Story (Lost Swords, #3)
  • The Fourth Book of Lost Swords: Farslayer's Story (Lost Swords, #4)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Sixth Book of Lost Swords: Mindsword's Story (Lost Swords, #6)
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)

“But even the best luck is no good until it’s used, and we must find the right way to use it.” 0 likes