Start by marking “Legend Of Sleepy Hollow, The” as Want to Read:
Legend Of Sleepy Hollow, The
Read Book* *Different edition

Legend Of Sleepy Hollow, The

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  22,668 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews
Boyds Mills Press publishes a wide range of high-quality fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books, novels, and nonfiction
Published June 1st 1992 by Boyds Mills Press (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about Legend Of Sleepy Hollow, The, please sign up.

Rebecca Irving died in 1859. He wrote Sleepy Hollow as a short story, along with Rip Van Winkle, in a book titled The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon. When he…moreIrving died in 1859. He wrote Sleepy Hollow as a short story, along with Rip Van Winkle, in a book titled The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon. When he was a teenager there was an outbreak of yellow fever in Manhattan, and his parents sent him to the Hudson River Valley (Tarrytown) to wait it out. Old Dutch legends influenced his writing. There is a debate as to whether this story was based on real people or if it's old folklore, and no one really knows. It's definitely become legendary. :) P.S. Ichabod Crane was a real person, but he was a soldier from Elizabeth New Jersey, not a schoolmaster. (less)

Melki
Though I've seen the movie versions countless times and listened to Bing Crosby croon about Brom Bones every Halloween for decades, this was my first time reading the story and it was MAGICAL!

I really enjoyed Irving's style. His descriptions paint joyful pictures without being too wordy or grandiose. The passages about Icabod's boundless appetite and his lust for Katrina's huge...tracts of land are priceless.

Reading this story has given me a new appreciation for Irving. My goals now are:

1) Read
Melissa  Jeanette
I really enjoyed this book. After having just watched the Johny Depp movie version, I was surprised to find the book had almost nothing in common.

I read it mostly at night and I enjoyed the spooky moments (though I admit my idea of spooky is pretty low on the scale for some). Ichabod is mildly detestable as a character; he seems like he has all the foundational qualities to make a wonderful villain, were this another story. I laughed at his envisioning the Van Tassel's animals as sumptuously co
Ronyell
Sleepy

Illustrated by Robert Van Nutt

“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is another fantastic story from Rabbit Ears’ “Storybook Classic” series. Everyone knows the famous story of Icabod Crane and his encounter with the Headless Horseman. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is one of the greatest stories ever created by Washington Irving and with Glenn Close’s haunting narration along with Tim Story’s eerie music and Robert Van Nutt’s beautiful yet haunting illustrations makes this one classic that no one will
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
description

I thought this story and I were Meant To Be.

A few days ago I read and reviewed Washington Irving's other famous story, Rip Van Winkle. And then I read The Fold, which has this exchange between a high school student and his teacher in the first few pages:
“Ichabod Crane isn’t really the hero of ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’.”

“Explain.”

“He’s, like, the British. You told us that when you said we couldn’t just watch the TV show to learn the story. You said that sometimes the bad guy is right there
Monique
Reading this classic short story by Washington Irvin really, truly 'cleansed the palate', as some book reviewers would put it. After reading mainly contemporary fiction, it was a breath of fresh air to read a classic piece of literature.

Some years ago, I saw the film adaptation of this book by Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp (who else? Say “Tim Burton” and the next name should be “Johnny Depp”) in the lead role of Ichabod Crane. Although the writers of the movie took certain liberties with respect
Brenda
Ichabod Crane’s life had been one of calm occurrence – day in and day out; his life was the same. But the meeting of a lovely young woman by the name of Katrina Van Tassel meant he was sure she would one day become his wife. But she had another vying for her attentions – Brom Bones.

The night of great revelry at her father’s home - with dancing, eating and drinking – Ichabod was sure he would be betrothed by night’s end. But on returning home his mind wouldn’t stop dwelling on the stories of the
Elizabeth
Script Research

I am researching possibly shows for my upcoming season. This one has potential!

description
Marc
I read this in one sitting at a neighbourhood library because it was recommended to me by a Librarian. She told me it was good and so I read it. I still remember reading the revised edition (Bo Hampton) of this when I was like 9-ish years old and it was so good! But this version... was not for me. I would try and read it again though.
Gavin
I was happy to spot Audible giving away a copy of this classic for free. Unfortunately that is where my happiness ended. This was a very disappointing story. I have been left with a new appreciation for the Johnny Depp movie version of Sleepy Hollow. It's a wonder they got a half decent movie from the source material.

The writing was a bit flowery for my taste. Too much time spent on description and not enough time spent on the storytelling or dialogue. The story itself was a bit of a bore.

The
Apatt
For most classics that I read it is easy to discern how they have stood the test of time and attain their classic status. However, a few titles, like Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and Three Men in a Boat hold little or no appeal to me at all, and why would anybody want to read them is beyond me. I am consigning The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to the “not for me” pile (though I am careful not disrespect any classics because they are still being read more than a hundred years after first publication, just ...more
Gary
Yes, I've seen the cartoon versions of this story....I have not seen the Johnny Depp movie, which this friend keeps telling me I need to see......

I read a simplified version, picture book to my students for 31 years of teaching,and they loved it.

Then I realized I'd not actually read the original Irving story.....so using www.gutenberg.org I downloaded it onto my Nook,and read the whole thing this past evening.....the story was very familiar, of course, but the language Irving used...the way he t
Mimi
So good. Haunting and whimsical. Tom Mison has the perfect voice and intonation for this story (because he is Ichabod Crane). Although the story is told in third-person, Mison remains in character from start to finish as the Ichabod Crane he plays in the show Sleepy Hollow. So if you like him in the show, then listening to him read the story is exactly like having Ichabod recount the story of his life in Sleepy Hollow.

For the complete review and more, visit https://covers2covers.wordpress.com/2.
Carol
Always wanted to read this classic tale of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod Crane and it didn't disappoint except that it is just too short. Loved it though.
Lyn
Ichabod Crane goes for a wild ride.

Washington Irving first published The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in 1820. Besides being an iconic story and a fine example of early American literature, this is also a revealing historic illustration of life in the Dutch portions of early nineteenth century New York. We get to spend some time with the corpulent and satisfied Dutch farmers and glimpse early American culture.

Irving’s language is typical of narrative fiction from his time, but is also resplendent as
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

My first exposure to the story was the Disney cartoon version, which I always enjoyed as a kid.

And then there was Burton's version, which I knew differed from the story, but I didn't really know how or to what extent, since I'd never read the story.

And so when I came across it while browsing free downloads from amazon, I decided to get it.

It was a quick read, being so short, but there were also a few places where I skimmed, as the author went into great detail about the types of trees he was
Stela
Passable, at best. An example of dubious American romanticism with just a bit of moralistic touch.
Anyway, now I know that almost all names of main characters in Sleepy Hollow series are taken from this short story, even though not the story itself.

Nice ring, the name of Ichabod Crane, but that's about all. The plot, the style are mediocre, the irony, as can be seen in the quote below, of an arguable quality:

"...he would have passed a pleasant life of it, in despite of the Devil and all his works
Jason Parent
I remember reading this and reading this as a kid, and I loved it. I got this for free as an Audiobook on Audible and, well, it has lost some of its magic. The story is 75% description and 25% plot. And that might be me being generous. Some of it is redundant description - the atmosphere of sleepy hollow, the path to the church, etc. all explained twice in much the same manner. Long Long long ass lists of food items and clothing. Admittedly, some of the description was humorous.

What I liked most
Meli
Me gustó y me gustó la narración, pero el autor se regodea un poco en las descripciones. Solo en las últimas doce páginas pasa algo, si bien disfruto de una historia bien descrita y esta tiene algo de adorable, llega un punto en el que cincuenta páginas de descripción y absolutamente nada de trama te aburre un poco.
Nicole
Rating: 3.5

I'll be honest, the reason I ever downloaded this, my first audiobook, is entirely because of its narrator: Tom Mison. While I do not watch the Sleepy Hollow TV show, I found myself swooning for Mr. Mison after watching him in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Let me tell you that his narrative voice is just as dreamy as he is on screen. The story itself was very different than I expected, having only been exposed to the Johnny Depp version of Sleepy Hollow. There was a lot of food and flo
Roger
Brian
I enjoyed this. There wasn't much dialogue or scenes as in modern literature, but it was no less pleasurable. Before the encounter with the horseman, I laughed out loud several times. Ichabod is quite a character. The funniest part, I thought, showed Ichabod riding on a gallant horse and he a knight-like rider - in his mind. In reality he was riding a shaggy old slouched horse with a bad eye. I also love the ending. You don't know what truly happened to Ichabod so you feel like one of the local ...more
pinknantucket
In case you were wondering, this book bears very little resemblance to the recent movie of the same name – there is a headless horseman in the book, and many of the characters’ names are the same, but that’s about it. There are no wicked stepmothers, no crazy witches, no secret Wills, no bizarre dreams about long-dead parents, no magical symbols drawn on the floor, no autopsies and not much of a love story. Also, the hero isn’t anywhere as good-looking as Johnny Depp, but then dentistry wasn’t a ...more
Bryan Ball
I have always been fascinated by, and loved, the ghost story of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman. Since childhood, I loved everything I had seen about the tale on TV, in the Disney animated version, in children's novel adaptations. But I had never read the original source material of Washington Irving's story.

Irving's tale-- part of a larger work "Sketchbook"-- has everything one could want for a pastoral, autumnal work of the small town tale, fable and ghost story. Ichabod and the dro
Barbara
Nov 04, 2007 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I thought this would be a great addition for the Children's Book Club to read, if they wanted. It seemed an appropriate choice for the October meeting along with the Hugo Cabret book.

I'll be re-reading it and will hopefully apply some of the missing portion of my memory to it. I love the story but this time I plan to enjoy the Arthur Rackham illustrations.

This is still such a great classic. The kids in the book club who read it all loved it. I'm glad. It's a really terrific read with a wonderful
Belle
The classic tale of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman is surprisingly funny in its original form, narrated perfectly here by the same actor who plays Crane in the new TV show.

Althea Ann
Strange as it may be to tell, I don't think I'd ever actually read this before. I would've sworn that I had. Of course, I knew the story... but nope, the language and details were all fresh and new to be. And that was a pleasant (if bewildering) surprise! Because - what language! This is a beautifully told tale, and a true pleasure to read. Irving can really turn a phrase, and the story is surprisingly humorous.

Brenda
3.5

He who wins a thousand common hearts is therefore entitled to some renown; but he who keeps undisputed sway over the heart of a coquette is indeed a hero.

Oh Ichabod...

I hate you, Brom Bones!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
summary 1 11 Dec 13, 2014 12:48PM
Goodreads Librari...: Possible duplicates and missing information 5 24 Nov 24, 2014 10:27AM
Reading Along Wit...: Readers Review: “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” by Washington Irving 1 2 Oct 28, 2014 04:17PM
racism 9 75 Sep 21, 2014 01:34PM
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Playground
  • Gulliver's Travels (Classic Starts Series)
  • My Kinsman Major Molineux
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Return of the Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #2)
  • A House of Pomegranates
  • The Shunned House
  • The Wendigo
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories Rip Van Winkle Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker

“I profess not to know how women's hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration.” 103 likes
“ All these, however, were mere terrors of the night, phantoms of the mind that walk in darkness; and though he had seen many spectres in his time, and been more than once beset by Satan in divers shapes, in his lonely pre-ambulations, yet daylight put an end to all these evils; and he would have passed a pleasent life of it, in despite of the devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was - a woman.” 42 likes