Start by marking “Marven of the Great North Woods” as Want to Read:
Marven of the Great North Woods

Marven of the Great North Woods

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When the influenza epidemic strikes Duluth, Minnesota, in 1918, Marven's parents send their son far away from the danger of the disease. But a logging camp in the great north woods?
A true story of a small Jewish boy and a bearish French-Canadian lumberjack . . . and how they became friends under the most unusual circumstances.
Published October 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Marven of the Great North Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marven of the Great North Woods

Catherine
Kathryn Lasky retells a story from her father's childhood in northern Minnesota. The story of how and why he spent a winter at a logging camp. It is so very different from contemporary stories about 10 year old boys. Because I am interested in the area, the time period, and the logging camps, I found it to be interesting. I'm not sure how much appeal it would have to modern children. I picked it up because my library was removing it from their collection. On another note, the illustrations by Ke ...more
Michelle
Great youth story of courage of young boy, and the capacity for boys to be productive and helpful and brave earlier than many might think today.
Crystal Lough
Marven of the Great North Woods is a realistic fiction book. It is an award winner of the National Jewish Book Award.This book is written for intermidiate aged children. The book is a story of a boy who was sent off to the country after his great-aunt died from influenza. His parents sent him to the country to be safe and become a man. Without knowing any French and not knowing any one, he managed to live a happy life. Once the sickness was gone, Marven joined his family again in the city. This ...more
Kendra
Boys love this book, whose title character is based on the author's father. Marven was sent by himself from Duluth, MN to the great north wooda to a logging camp during the great flu pandemic of 1918. My sons love realistic fiction...one of our all time favorites is "from dawn to dusk" by Natalie Kinsey-warnock. This one made quite an impression on them both because of the independence factor, my older son especially lovea stories about boys from long ago and how they were trusted to do so many ...more
Teshamae
I really like this story and the fact that it is set in the North Woods of Minnesota. However, I think pieces of the story were a little too scary for my 5 year old involving how the boy thought his whole family was going to die while he was gone because of the flu epidemic. I wish that part had been toned down a bit.
Jaycen
Absolutely great book e character and wonderful life story. The character was ten years old and JJ related to it. We talked about the flu epidemics of the past, and the way that Marven worked as an accountant and got his work done early to enjoy the day in the woods. Great book!
Aline
I read it with a student at school. Good book based on true events about the influenza outbreak of 1918.
Jessica Bennett
The illustrations in this book are really beautiful. I love that the cover the entire page throughout the whole book. The story starts abruptly but after that flows quite nicely. I like the small part at the end of the book that explains the story a little more and reveals that it was about the author's father.
Jim
when kathryn lasky's dad was ten years old he was sent away from the city to a minn. logging camp filled w/french speakers and did the accounting for them.
no wonder lasky is such a great storyteller, w/ones like this growing up how could she not be?
Amy
Pretty cute kids' book about a Jewish boy named Marven who goes to stay at a logging camp to escape an influenza epidemic and amkes friends with a lumberjack.
It has nice illustrations too!
Grace Yu
I like this book because it is an interesting book. Why? It tells about Marven Lasky been very brave at great north woods of Minnesota.
Lacy
Picture book from The Read-Aloud Handbook. Based on a true story. Life for a small boy at a logging camp during the influenza epidemic.
Cheryl
Wonderful historical fiction about a period not well known. Story was of interest with some simple French words that could be learned.
James
True story about a young boy who is sent to a logging camp to avoid the flu pandemic of 1918.
Bede
it is hard to wake up ma lumberjack
Emily
My kids really liked this true story.
Raising Readers
Raising Readers marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Franky
Franky is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Aden
Aden added it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo ...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...
The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1) The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2) The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3) The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4) The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)