Start by marking “The Loudest Roar” as Want to Read:
The Loudest Roar

The Loudest Roar

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Clovis is a very noisy little tiger. He knows he has the loudest roar in the whole jungle. He's good at roaring, but he's very good at hiding - and that's when the trouble begins. This is a major new picture book from Thomas Taylor, the artist who created Harry Potter, for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about The Loudest Roar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loudest Roar

Thea
Clovis, a tiny tiger who believes his roar to be the loudest in the jungle, keeps scaring other, unsuspecting animals until they team up to teach him a lesson.

Not much to say about this particular picture book. Let’s be honest, the main appeal are the opportunities both to roar and use the word “roaringest” frequently. I used this for my preschool (ages 0-5, not preschool preschool) storytime, and it worked pretty well. The kids seemed fairly engaged, and one toddler kept belatedly roaring adora
Amelia
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but at best The Loudest Roar's message is "be quiet and stop annoying people". At worst, it's saying "don't express yourself, even if what you want to say is as intrinsic a part of you as a tiger and his roar...". I realise young children won't see any such profound message in the story, but I still see nothing positive about the tale. The illustration itself is middle of the range. Any positives? The "word" roaring-est.
Kay
Sep 24, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary, animal, adventure
A clever little story about Clovis, a young tiger who is the loudest, ‘most roaringest tiger in the whole world’. Amidst the calm of the jungle, when the other animals are relaxing, Clovis would creep up and roar as loud as he could, frightening them all: from the parrots to the elephants.

Then one day the monkey had an idea, and through communication and collaboration with the other animals, they decide to get their own back on the tiger. They crept up on him whilst he was drinking at the water
Angela
Feb 04, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were bright and colorful which in my opinion makes children's books better. This was a cute book about a tiger names Clovis who wanted to show everyone how fierce he was. Clovis scared a bunch of the animals so they got together to show Clovis how it felt to be roared at. At the end of the book Clovis is well behaved. In my opinion this would be a good anti-bullying book.
Paula
Clovis, a small tiger with a loud roar, disturbs the peace and calm of the jungle until the day that the other animals put their heads and voices together.
Ashlyn Barker
This is a good example of a predictable text for early readers. I would say this is best for K-1st grades.
Milanie Howard
Pretty adorable pictures, and the story was pretty cute and funny, too.
Rosie
Jan 25, 2015 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great n 3 yr old Daniel likes it too but doesn't get the moral!
Leo
Sep 05, 2014 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
read summer 2014
Andrew Shute
Apr 05, 2013 Andrew Shute rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clever and cheerful book. I read it as a end-of-the-day story to my Year 1 class and they loved it, all of the class got involved and I was able to get my pupils to predict what was going to happen next.
Clovis may be a small baby lion but he reckons and he has the loudest roar in the world and is more than happy to make his fellow jungle friends jump as he shows off his loud roar! But the tables are turned on him at the end.
A pleasant read to a class full of young children.

Angela
Sep 24, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sam liked the sound effects on this one. Too bad he's not old enough to understand the moral of the story! Would be good for a toddler learning to use his/her inside voice, or learning that just because you *can* do something, that doesn't mean you should.

(This review is based on the book only, not the book & CD.)
Jenny
Mar 09, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My sons both loved this simple book about a cute, but annoying, little tiger. The five-year-old even had me read it to his Kindergarten class! It's a sweet little book, although the monkey illustrations creep me out.
Aramis
Aug 25, 2012 Aramis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, tigers
A fun and simple storytime read about a little tiger with a very big roar, who thought that was reason enough to make him better than everyone. Has a cute little bit of a twist at the end.
Bethany
From Ms. Kim

Cute book for emerging readers. This book could be very interactive and prove to be a good "brain break" where everyone can practice their lion sounds.
Tricia
cute story about a little lion who learns his lesson not to roar and scare other animals in the jungle. or does he?
Hill
Dec 01, 2008 Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My little boys LOVE this book. They like any excuse to ROAR!
Rosie Vernetti
Rosie Vernetti rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Kim Amberg
Kim Amberg rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Oku Dotwana
Oku Dotwana rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Christa Norman
Christa Norman marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Cfc
Cfc added it
Apr 28, 2016
Lynda McCarron
Lynda McCarron marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
JulieMG
JulieMG rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Keeley
Keeley marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016