Start by marking “Losing Charlotte” as Want to Read:
Losing Charlotte

Losing Charlotte

2.61 of 5 stars 2.61  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Raised on their family's Thoroughbred farm in Kentucky, Charlotte and Knox Bolling grow up steeped in the life cycles of the horses surrounding them. Despite their opposing natures, the connection between these two sisters is unbreakable, even when Charlotte abandons Four Corners Farm in favor of Manhattan. But a single day changes everything for Knox, and in order to conf ...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Charlotte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Charlotte

NotSoSAHM
Also known as The Foaling Season

I really wanted to like this book but couldn't get past the ennui I felt emanating from the writing and woven throughout the whole book. The seemingly lack of caring of the author (manifested through to Knox) made the action and even reading go so slowly. She spends so much time describing in minute detail every little thing, most of which didn't matter to the plot or character development and not a lot of time delving into the relationship with Knox and her siste
slow, difficult to follow...not worth the effort
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2010 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
Recommended to Stephanie by: Friend
Shelves: horses
Losing Charlotte is a book about a family who must find themselves again after a crushing loss.

Having plenty of experience on the subject I can say Heather Clay did a good job of taking the reader through the grieving process in the eyes of the family - too deeper and the novel would've been horribly depressing and any lighter and there would've been no point in the story. There were some things left out but those things about sadness and grief could be better suited in a different story. Grief
Amy Holiday
Mixed reviews, and I think I have mixed feelings too. The concept and the setting were intriguing, but Knox was a little too indecisive, a little too conscientious for me to really root for her--did she ever make a move without thinking that she shouldn't, or want ing to do something else instead? made me a little crazy. And I'm not sure why, but I didn't get Charlotte and the golden girl/idol worship. She seemed kind of...lame. But I liked Bruce, and I think he's the one that kept me reading. T ...more
Charlotte
Losing Charlotte is a book that probably should have touched my heart a little more than it did. It has all of the components of a real tearjerker, but it really didn't do anything but bore me. Maybe it was the writing or maybe I am a cold hearted bitch. It could go either way.

Like I said, it was nothing special. It had the potential to be a real tearjerker, but for me the inspiration just wasn't there. The characters seemed awkward and forced. But maybe it was just me....

Ameena
I really wanted to like this book. I loved the premise, I loved the genre, and I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but I did. And I loved the cover! But unfortunately this book was confusing, lacked a solid plot, and the character development was just...missing.

I hate to be so negative but I have to be because this book had so much potential and it didn't live up to even half of what it could have been. Luckily I borrowed it from the library so my investment was minimal...I hope that
Cher
I really enjoyed reading this first novel by Heather Clay. "Losing Charlotte" touches on subjects many readers can relate to: the sudden, traumatic loss of a loved one, the complicated almost love/hate relationship that siblings may develop if they don't resolve major conflicts, and the dynamics of a family: two aging parents, two adult daughters, a son-in-law, a college age son, and twin infant grandsons.

Knox, the lead character in this novel has always felt overshadowed by her older sister Ch
Katie O'Rourke
In Losing Charlotte, a family deals with the sudden loss of the eldest daughter after she has given birth to twins. In the months that follow, the family tries to adjust. The typically unshakeable father takes to bed, the mother begins planning an elaborate memorial that seems to mark Charlotte's childhood, and the younger sister travels from Kentucky to NYC to help her brother-in-law care for newborns.

Younger sister, Knox, finds herself plunged into a domestic life she has tried hard to avoid.
Marnie Kaplan
Have you ever held a book in your hands and known instinctively that you were going to treasure it? Sure, I read the review first, and requested it from the library. But when I had to decide which of my six holds to tackle first I knew--Losing Charlotte with the running horse blurring amidst a deep green cover.

The heart of this story is one of the what ifs we all ponder - What happens when a woman dies after childbirth? It is unfathomable and tragic and all too real. A young woman grows round, i
Kristi
I hardly ever read reviews of books before I read one because that would jade my own opinion. Right?

Well, I did sneak a peek through some that were posted here on Goodreads and saw that a lot of people didn't like this book. I did. There were a few parts that were a little confusing or ambiguous but overall, I did like it.

One thing that sort of stuck with me as I read it was the fact that Charlotte and Knox really weren't all the close yet after Charlotte's death, Knox is the one who showed up t
Cathy
I can't help comparing this book to "God Of Animals" by Aryn Kyle that I read just a few months ago.
They are very similar.
I wanted them to be the same, I kept waiting for them to be the same.

Horse farm, 2 daughters, the older, adored one leaves home.
Differences: well to do family vs poor, dysfunctional family.
I certainly liked "Animals" better, perhaps because I identify more with the poor, dysfunctional family.

I do think the main character in "Animals" grew into a better person as she aged and
Allyson
I loved this cover and was very curious since both Ann Packer and Lauren Groff blurbed on the back.
This could easily have been an Oprah type book or something turned into a Lifetime movie but this author skillfully skirted melodramatic and largely contrived scenes. Instead she crafted a suprising and emotional story about a family, and in paticular, a sister. I did not feel Charlotte was real which maybe was the point. We only saw her through Knox and Bruce truly despite her parts.
I felt this co
Janeen
Quite boring. The plot never developed and thus never really led to any climax or even interesting situation.
Mary Taitt
The whole first half of the book, I was afraid to read, afraid to turn the page, because of the title. Knox Bolling worries about her relationship with her strange sister, Charlotte, who is pregnant with twins. Charlotte wants her to be there for the birth, so Knox and her parents go. What happens is not what they expect, and everyone's life changes permanently. I felt as if there were people I knew and I needed to give them a call and see how things were going. It was not a happy book, but an e ...more
Elle
Meh. I struggled with this book. I wanted to like it but it was just boring, jumbled and confusing. It had potential, but there were too many things that went wrong. The first chapter had nothing at all to do with the remainder of the book and could've just been left out entirely. There were sections where it felt like the author went through and replaced every other word using a thesaurus. The wording wasn't easy or smooth, it just felt like someone was working too hard. I was glad when I was d ...more
Michele
Ugh. There were parts of the characters and parts of the narrative that I enjoyed, but overall, I found Losing Charlotte to be difficult to follow, the protagonist difficult to empathize with, and the overall story lacking. It's clear from the title what the twist in the story is, yet it takes about half the book to get there. And one small additional piece bothered me: Why was the main character's name Knox? I disliked it so much that it tripped me up through the book.
Linda
Jul 01, 2010 Linda added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves and appreciates fine writing.
Recommended to Linda by: Librarian
This book is not for the reader who wants immediate gratification and has a video-game mentality. They wouldn't have liked nor been able to get through "Gone With the Wind" either. The writing in "Losing Charlotte" is like a fine painting; you go back again and again and see something different every time. I did get impatient at times, but I loved the manner in which the characters are revealed. Yes, it's complicated, but so is life.
Jill Manske
This was Heather Clay's first novel. And unless her writing style improves or until she gets a better editor, it may be her last. The characters are bland, one-dimensional and shallow. I cannot envision any real life dialogue sounding like dialogue in this book - who says these things in real life? It was a struggle to finish it. If you were thinking about reading this book, don't bother.
Stephanie
I got this after reading a review in, I think, LJ. So I had to add a shelf "review = WTF" because I wonder what possibly could that reviewer have been drinking, smoking or otherwise ingesting that made him or her rave on and on about this one.

Sisters. Close. Horses. Separation (geographical and otherwise). Death during childbirth. Emotional afterbirth. Resolution. Done.
Krista
I thought the author did a great job of describing the main character's reaction to the death of her sister. The main character, weirdly named Knox, goes to help her brother in law take care of the newborn twins her sister left behind when she dies during childbirth. The author writes a believable story, avoiding cliches and neatly tied up endings.
Amber Jones
I was seriously disappointed in the book. The dust cover got me hooked but I felt let down by the entire book.

There are things in the story that I am still unsure how they tied into the story, the plot was weak at best, and the author rambled in descriptions that did not help the story along.

Did not enjoy this book at all and I do not recommend.
Amy R
This was an tough read that left me emotionally numb. Perhaps if there was more uplift at the end, I would have been happier with it along with more character depth. But, writing about bereavement is really tough to begin with.

My opinion: Don't bother unless you feel the need to wallow in an emotionally numb place for a while.
Amy
Mar 27, 2010 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one!!!
What a waste of a beautiful cover. Enough said. HORRIBLE! I normally pass on my books to other family members and friends, but I wouldn't do that to them. I am just sorry that I spent money on this hard copy but will do my part for the environment and donate it to a bookstore that will either recycle or sell for nonprofit agency.
Penny
I had a hard time getting into this book. It seemed slow or something. The subject sounded interesting though. That's why I chose it. Two sisters. One dies shortly after having twin boys. The husband and Knox (sister) live through it and help each other. Everything just seemed distant and not real to me.
I had high hopes for this book after reading about it in the local newspaper, but found myself disappointed. I liked the characters, particularly their displays of raw emotion - their "humanness." I did not like, however, the plethora of unnecessary details and the constant flashbacks between present and past.
Caroline Hooper
I could not finish this book. Just did not hold my attention. It was not compelling, and I was distracted by other things being the end of the summer and all. That and the due date at the library came up :-). Since it has a queue, I turned it in for the next reader. Maybe they will enjoy it more than I.
Lauren
Even after reading 2/3 of this book, I just couldn't get into it. The book is light on plot and heavy on character development, but even so I didn't really care about the characters. I finally decided life is too short to read books you don't love, so I moved on.
Julie
I liked this book enough, probably would give it 2 1/2 stars but rounded up. Parts of it just got a little long...I don't know, the characters were ok but not totally engrossing. I'd read this author again though. I think she just needs time to develop.
Beth
This one might have been better as a short story. There was too much rambling for me, which I felt took away from the overall plot. The story felt overthought and overworked. Not quite chick lit, not quite serious fiction, just kind of boring.
Robin Schick
Hated this book, never finished it. It was a different style of writing and it was too out there for me.
As soon as Bruce paid a hooker to sleep with him when he found out his wife was pregnant, I decided this was NOT the book for me.
  • Lying With the Dead