The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  24,351 ratings  ·  3,392 reviews
A modern love story told through a series of dictionary-style entries is a sequence of intimate windows into the large and small events that shape the course of a romantic relationship.
Published January 4th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lover's Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lover's Dictionary

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDelirium by Lauren OliverSilence by Becca FitzpatrickUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Best Books of 2011
95th out of 2,132 books — 6,934 voters
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Night Circus by Erin MorgensternBossypants by Tina FeySteve Jobs by Walter Isaacson11/22/63 by Stephen King
Amazon.com Best Books of 2011: The Top 100
7th out of 100 books — 164 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Apr 03, 2014 Emily May rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
Shelves: romance, 2011

People who get super creative with books are always taking a big risk, you know... writing in verse, two authors writing a POV each, and now this: a novel written like a dictionary. A series of random words from A to Z each representing something about the protagonist's most recent relationship:

abstraction, n.
Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours.

It's a very...more
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 05, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: Angus Miranda
Read this book only when you are in love or you are in love with love.

I was neither both when I read this in one sitting last Saturday. Then last night, I happened to catch some scenes of the Korean movie Love Phobia at Cinema One. Korean filmmakers have been producing excellent, i.e., very sensitive, love stories that are much attuned to Filipino’s notion of love. That’s maybe one of the reasons why we patronize not only their movies but also their many television series.

That movie put me in th...more
Meg ♥
I read this today, on Valentine's Day ♥, and it was a very interesting read. I love how this book explores the range of all different emotions people could ultimately experience in a relationship. I could really relate to so much of this book. This is not only a lovey-dovey story that will melt your heart. It is far more than that, and it is beautifully written.

The format of this book is very clever. Each page starts with a word dictionary style, and that's the format for the whole book which te...more
Monique
Aug 07, 2011 Monique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tintin, Lynai
Recommended to Monique by: Tina
I've been trying to construct a review in my head for this book all weekend, having finished reading it on Saturday morning, but no matter what I came up with, I feel that it will not fully represent the feelings I had while reading this book. To say that I loved The Lover's Dictionary would be an understatement.

In a nutshell, The Lover's Dictionary is the simple love story of a couple, left unnamed by the author, told in dictionary form. Through carefully-chosen words, their love story unfurle...more
Jenn(ifer)
**************************

A MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXh4QQ...

**************************

re•view [ri-vyoo] noun
1. a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.

I really wish I had had the mental energy to review this book back when I finished it, but I just wasn’t in the right psychic place to do so at the time. I read it soon after finishing AM/PM, and it fit right in with that sort of flash-fiction vi...more
Tatiana
Practically devoured this book. It reads like poetry - sparse, raw, emotional. It could as well have been a novel-in-verse so popular right now - just rearrange sentences in fancy ways and you are all set. But Leviathan does something very neat here - he writes a love story as a series of dictionary entries, each highlighting some part of the relationship. The entries are funny, infuriating and heartbreaking. And the love story itself is messy and complicated and yet so very real and touching.

ar...more
Alison
Apologies to my library pals who loved this. I was really into it at first, but after a while I grew weary of him. It's probably because I've known more than my share of emotionally precious aging hipster manchildren (my friends and I like to call them "All the Sad Young Literary Men") to have much patience for them. Throughout the second half of the book, all I could think was DUDE, I WOULD'VE CHEATED ON YOU TOO.
Jo
Feb 04, 2012 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jo by: Catie
blemish, n.
The slight acne scars. The penny-sized, penny-shaped birthmark right above your knee. The dot below your shoulder that must have been from when you had chicken pox in the third grade.
The scratch on your neck- did I do that?
This brief transcript of moments, written on the body, is so deeply satisfying to read.

Wow, this book was gorgeous.

It took me about an hour to read (well, technically about 40 minutes... the other 20 minutes was taken up with me scrawling large chunks of this book i...more
Thomas
I seriously need a word for my signature squeal.

No, really. Sometimes when I read books like Gone With the Wind or Pride and Prejudice, I squeal. Well-written romance tends to do that to me. The Lover's Dictionary did that to me.

Allow me to share one of my favorite entries.

"brash, adj.

'I want you to spend the night,' you said. And it was definitely your phrasing that ensured it. If you had said, 'Let's have sex,' or 'Let's go to my place,' or even 'I really want you,' I'm not sure we would have...more
Tina
Original post at One More Page

When I first heard about David Levithan's latest book, The Lover's Dictionary, I wanted to read it only because of the clever idea behind the book. I love anything that involves wordplay. I loved the idea that this book is told using dictionary words, and for some reason, this gives me the feeling that this book has a universal feel to it, like anyone could relate to an entry here at one point. I ordered a copy off Book Depository a few weeks ago after I realized t...more
Isamlq
Full disclosure, I might have blinders on where this author is concerned because every book of his that I've read, I've really enjoyed... (Nick and Norah, Dash and Lily, the Will Graysons even Naomi and Ely were all wonderful reads!) With Lover's Dictionary, I didn't know what I was getting into. But good golly, that was different... and refreshing!

It tackled what's familiar from all the possible angles. One need not strain one's imagination to see how a word applied, because it just DID. Each...more
Leyoh
This little book is written beautifully. Perfect reading for a Sunday evening, Id imagine it'd be good for travelling too, when you have time to ponder and look out the window. It's delightful and sombre, honest too I think. Those that really stood out were:

Abstraction, arrears, blemish, breathtaking, disarray, juxtaposition, only and yearning.

My favourite's being:

Sacrosanct and posterity.

But if I had to pick one....

rest, v. and n.

Rest with me for the rest of this.
That’s it. Come closer.
We’re h...more
Paul
I saw David Levithan read the book tonight at Borders in NYC--a moving evening. David's passion comes through each line read, each written. I love his books, but I didn't know he was such a wonderful performer. He feels deeply as he reads, and he's hilarious when he isn't breaking your heart--no, he's hilarious when he's breaking your heart too. His is a beautiful heart, such a generous artist. The Lover's Dictionary is one of the most creative novels I've read. Alphabetized entries headed by be...more
Maggie
I can't remember what grade I was in when I first started highlighting, but I remember my teacher looking down at my now entirely fluorescent yellow page and saying, "You're only supposed to highlight what's important." I replied, "But this is all important." That's how I felt reading The Lover's Dictionary. I wanted to highlight everything. I only meant to read the first few pages, just to see what it was about, but I didn't end up closing the book until I was done. Each entry provides a pictur...more
Becky
Everyone knows love is complex, but having it articulated by someone who can really write is somehow infinitely comforting. I don't feel so much fear that I'm doing it wrong. David Levithan is my hero. I might have to buy this so I can re-read it now and again.

There is so much poetry in the choices of words listed in this dictionary, and how each word is related to the unfolding of a couple's relationship.

Favorite entries (promise I won't type them all):

Alfresco

Awhile - "It is easy for me to s...more
Alyssa
The Lover’s Dictionary is my first Levithan book, but it definitely won’t be my last. I mean, when an author can come up with this,

juxtaposition, n.

It scares me how hard it is to remember life before you. I can’t even make the comparisons anymore, because my memories of that time have all the depth of a photograph. It seems foolish to play games of better or worse. It’s simply a matter of is and is no longer.

and later this,

lover, n.

I have never wanted a lover. In order to have a lover, I must go
Sophie
To be perfectly honest, the third star is only because of the format of the book, otherwise I'd only given it two stars.

A love story told in the form of dictionary entries. The words are - not picked at random, but not exclusively "love" or "relationship" words. And because of the format, the story is told in a more or less non-linear way. I liked that a lot - it allowed the reader to piece the story together one by one. I also liked that it's obvious that love and relationships aren't simple -...more
Jasmine
So amazon.com recommended this book to me, and I didn't realize it was a foray into the adult by a teen author. Karen read one of his books: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... . And well this book is not at all the same. This is not a utopia book it is a very sad book.

The format of this book works. It takes words and defines them based on a relationship. So it reads all jumbly and out of order, and I love it. It mimics both love and memory. Life isn't a straight forward story, it's more o...more
Hunger For Knowledge
If there would be an unique and interesting way of telling the story of troubled relationship, it would be through dictionary definitions.

Only, adj.
That's the dilemma, isn't? When you're single, there's the sadness and joy of only me. And when you're paired, there's the sadness and joy of only you.

This was my first book from Levithan and he, without a doubt, can write. The definitions are not in chronological order, which is something I enjoyed as you got to read most of them while knowing what...more
Joyzi
Dec 10, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Joyzi by: Aldrin
I read this short dictionary novel in my nook (thanks to Aldrin). Actually I started reading it while on a jeep going to the mall and because of the bad traffic, I already read half of the novel when I came home. Then, just this morning I finished it.

description

It was a short read (200 pages long) and what I really liked about it is that it has a unique style of writing. It was arranged like a dictionary so there's a word and then if it is a verb, noun or adjective it was written beside the word and then...more
Rissie
I saw this book on NPR's website. The way it's written seems very creative. Whether or not it's any good remains to be seen.

~~~~~

Is it possible to love the way a story is told, but dislike the story itself? I hope so, because that’s what I’m feeling about this book.

What did I love about the book? First, I loved the way the story was presented – a dictionary in which each definition pieces together the story of a relationship. Second, I loved how poetic the writing felt – sparse but weighty.

What...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

5 STARS!

Since I’m a huge Levithan fangirl, I got myself prepared to write this review by deciding to flag every “definition” that made me feel something while I was reading. Well, I definitely felt some things and flagged all some of the pages . . .

My feelings ranged from magical

like in the definitions of cache and gingerly and meander and posterity and rifle and sacrosanct and transient and unabashedly and woo and yesterday

to amus...more
Christiana
As if I couldn't love David Levithan's annual Valentine's Day stories any more. This book is amazing. I wanted to weep and goofy smile on every page and I'm not even PMSing! I finished it and hugged it for an embarrassing amount of time.
Meredith
David Levithan puts all of my most terrible secrets and most wonderful memories into words. David Levithan: HOW DID YOU GET INSIDE MY HEAD?
Bonnie
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

corrode, v.
‘I spent all this time building a relationship. Then one night I left the window open, and it started to rust.’

This was a delightfully unique story of a relationship’s major occurrences told by short entries in dictionary format. I gave major points for the originality of the entire concept of the story; I’ve never read anything like it before. The writing was beautiful and the story bittersweet and poignant.

dispel, v.
‘It was th
Catie
This is a very quick read (I think that I read it in about an hour). Each page consists of a dictionary entry with words listed and "defined" through out the book in alphabetical order. Each definition consists of a little snapshot into a long term relationship from beginning to middle to a possible end. Some are silly; some are sappy and some are heartbreakingly true. He's really captured a lot of the dark despairing moments in a long term relationship, as well as the bright hopeful ones. I was...more
Airiz C
Hundreds of books, songs, plays, and other forms of media have been so celebrated because they successfully conveyed their answer or just artistically zeroed in on that one slam book item: define love. What do we talk about when we talk about love? How exactly do we talk about it? Does anyone possess the right words to describe the word?

For David Levithan, love—a thing that can be both “utterly mundane and completely transcendent, pulling us out of our everyday lives and making us feel a part of...more
Sandee (The Whimsical Reader)
In this book, you do not know who was really telling the story.
You have to figure it out on your own.

*COOL!*

This would be my first book of David Levithan and it definitely would not be my last.
The whole book was amazing.
Start from this book being in a dictionary format to the anonymity of the main characters.
Dictionary format?
Yep, that’s right.
This book was like a journal in a way.
The entries were alphabetized words that have a certain connection to each entry.
It was very creative.
It was heartfe...more
Nicky
akin, adj.
If you enjoyed (500) Days of Summer or even Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you are most likely the demographic for this book. Of course, bear in mind, this book is nothing like those movies.

expectation, n.
I thought this “novel” was going to reek of cleverness (at best) and smug cleverness (at worst), but it’s much more sentimental and thoughtful than it is clever. Don’t expect a ton of wordplay or linguistic gymnastics. You will be disappointed.

satiate, v.
When you’re done read...more
Marlon Balraj
I probably will never be able to articulate what this book means to me and how much I love it. It is tiny, but the heart on the front cover beats furiously, every single word holding something baring and honest and magical and alive. Do you get it yet!? Go read this book! What are you waiting for?

If you're still here, I might as well entertain you -- and this sentence exemplifies one of the most powerful devices Levithan employs in the book. The use of the Second Person point of view. It can fee...more
  • I Wrote This For You
  • Table for Two
  • The Talk-Funny Girl
  • With or Without You
  • The Secret Lives of People in Love
  •  The New Kids: Big Dreams and Brave Journeys at a High School for Immigrant Teens
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • Teen Angst? Naaah...
  • Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak: by Writers Famous and Obscure
  • B
  • Love and Other Foreign Words
  • Suicide Notes
  • Tree of Codes
  • Love & Misadventure
  • Zombicorns (Zombicorns, #1)
  • Big Girl Small
  • The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 2
  • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...
Every Day (Every Day #1) Boy Meets Boy The Realm of Possibility Two Boys Kissing Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

“It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you.” 2163 likes
“livid, adj.

Fuck You for cheating on me. Fuck you for reducing it to the word cheating. As if this were a card game, and you sneaked a look at my hand. Who came up with the term cheating, anyway? A cheater, I imagine. Someone who thought liar was too harsh. Someone who thought devastator was too emotional. The same person who thought, oops, he’d gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Fuck you. This isn’t about slipping yourself an extra twenty dollars of Monopoly money. These are our lives. You went and broke our lives. You are so much worse than a cheater. You killed something. And you killed it when its back was turned.”
1596 likes