Start by marking “Tulip Sees America” as Want to Read:
Tulip Sees America

Tulip Sees America

This vibrant, inspiring picture book captures a fun-filled drive across the country. A young man and his dog, Tulip, marvel at the farms in Iowa, the skies in Nebraska, the wind in Wyoming, and many more exquisite visions of America the beautiful.
Published May 1st 1998 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tulip Sees America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tulip Sees America

Colleen
Jun 21, 2009 Colleen rated it did not like it
So here's this guy brought up in a family who didn't like to travel. So when he grows up he decides to travel across the United States and describes beautiful attributes about Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Colorado. Then he arrives in the desert in Nevada and takes off all his clothes. WHAT!?*&% It was so out of left field that I stared in shock at the page for a minute trying to figure out what happened. I honestly don't know what the author was thinking. I had no idea what to say to my 4 yea ...more
babyhippoface
Never read this Rylant book before because I do not care for Desimini's artistic style. Just a personal preference. But I pulled it off the shelf this week because PreK is learning to answer the question, "Where Can I Go in the World?"

The narrator and his dog, Tulip, travel across America in a little green beetle, admiring Iowa's farms, Nebraska's skies, Colorado's mountains, Oregon's forests and oceans, and more. And although I do not like the artwork, as I said, the text celebrates the differ
Josiah
Aug 06, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written story that is tremendously enhanced by the awesomely breathtaking art of illustrator Lisa Desimini. In fact, her artistic renderings in this picture book are some of the finest illustrations that I have ever seen in the realm of kid literature.
In addition, Cynthia Rylant paints captivating pictures of the uniqueness and beauty that makes up America, surely making those of us who have not been lucky enough to visit all of these places yearn to experience the lovely
Dawn
May 20, 2017 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A lovely story about striking out on an adventure. The illustrations are beautiful with brilliant colors.
Juso
Feb 18, 2013 Juso rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
The story "Tulip Sees America" is about a young boy who has grown up in Ohio, but has never been able to see any other place besides Ohio. When he grows older, he buys himself a new car and takes his dog, Tulip, along on a road trip to see all of America including: Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, and finally, Oregon. In Oregon is where the young man and Tulip make their new home. This story has great illustrations that bring the road trip to life.
As a teacher, I would use this book t
Vanessa Peavy
Apr 12, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
After reading this book, as my activating strategy I would start my lesson off saying this: If you have not been across America, you will by the time you are done reading this book. This book can be used a language arts study by having your students work on the elements of a story and focus on setting. I would also use this book to integrate social studies by having students color each state that the boy and his dog visited. I would possibly divide the states per group and have them research the ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I suspect this book may be autobiographical, because the narrator starts in Ohio and ends up in Oregon, where Rylant lives now. Lisa Desimini, the illustrator, drew the narrator so that I couldn't tell whether it was supposed to be a boy or a girl. The narrator and his/her dog, Tulip, travel by car across the U.S., describing what they like best about each state they pass through. It made me want to visit those places too! I wish there had been an added biographical note about the author at the ...more
Lorie
Nov 06, 2010 Lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mentor-text-set
A very visual book that tells the story of a young man and this dog who travel to Oregon in a green Beetle car. They discover the wonders of America and the author depicts the beauty through vivid words that help the reader visualize their journey. This book is a great way to teach word choice during an ecology unit. Discussion throughout a second reading while keeping a list of vivid word choices and phrasings will provide students with a visual memory device when writing their own story to des ...more
Kelly
When I was younger, I was a big Cynthia Rylant fan. I haven't read her books in quite awhile now. At first while reading this book I didn't quite get it or get into it, but after a bit and a pattern I liked it more and liked that it tells about what different locations/climates are like. I know Tulip the dog is seeing America, but I thought it was supposed to be about the boy who never traveled as a kid so really wanted to when he grew up. That was confusing.
Alice
Jul 01, 2016 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-50-stars
>b> 2.5 Stars I had great hopes for this book! It started out nicely but it skipped over lots of great States and as it skipped over Utah, and went Straight to Nevada I was a little put out. It also overlooked Idaho and California and went straight to Oregon. To each his own. I loved the scenery pictures but the person (a boy..could have fooled me) and the dog look weird. Also that Elk for Colorado doesn't look like any Elk I have seen in the Rocky Mountains. It was the dreaded "okay"
Marcia
Apr 09, 2010 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: US study, grades 2-4
Tulip the dog sees America from Iowa to Oregon on a road trip with his master. It's enough to realize the vastness and beauty of the country. Beautifully written, almost poetic, the book is a great addition to a study of the USA. I love how she chooses one feature that is unique to the state--like the vastness of the sky in Wyoming and the solitude of the Nevada desert. My only regret is that it doesn't include a few more states. Attractive illustrations and font choices enhance the book.
Blakeley Norris
Nov 23, 2010 Blakeley Norris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
This is a good Social Studies book because it has teaches about America. The story is about a boy and his dog as they travel around America. This book has great illustrations that show many different places in America. It give a good visual representation for children to see the different places that make up our country.
Alicia
Jul 01, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This should be called Tulip sees part of America. A guy grows up in a family that doesn't travel, so when he's old enough he sets off across the country with his dog. The part where he takes his clothes off in the Nevada dessert was unexpected. Of course, my 4 year old class got a big laugh out of seeing his backside behind a cactus. The book wasn't exactly what I wanted to convey about America.
Jackie
Dec 02, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
A boy and his dog, traveling cross-country, with only each other for companionship...that's what Tulip Sees America is all about. Determined to see the country and what is has to offer, a young man sets out with his dog, Tulip, to explore and find a new home.
Theresa
One of the best artistically linked children's books authors. this book shows an appreciation of America as someone travels across america, stating some of the exceptional ideals of the cultural, and natural events and affects of each of the states he passes through to his new place.
Beth
Even though this book is called Tulip Sees America, it's not really about Tulip at all. It's about Tulip's owner, who just happened to take Tulip along. Tulip seemed like an afterthought. Not to mention it felt disjointed and I didn't really see the "so what?" of the story.
Samantha
This was read to me in a read aloud. A young boy and his dog, Tulip, travel through the beautiful American landscape from coast to coast. Was surprised to see the boy running around naked on one page of the book.
Tricia
Feb 21, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book appealed to my now dead sense of wanderlust (thanks children). narrator explains that parents were homebodies and they never traveled--but as soon as he was old enough, it was all about the road. states are described in a palpable way through simple yet descriptive text.
Abby Fischer
Did not have a lot of plot or storyline; which can sometimes be good for a quick and fun read. Does explain some of the geographical aspects of America.
Michelle White
This book would be good for teaching younger student's about the different cultures and regions in America. I got it from the IUS Library.
Debbie Tanner
Mar 25, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story about pursuing your dreams and appreciating what's good about all the different places in America.
Alisha Williams
Amazing illustrations. A good book to discuss travel with the class and how exploring new things.
Angela
a great book to teach America (at least Ohio west). Talks about a few states and their varied landscapes.
Enjoyable illustrations also.
Amber Lund
Oct 07, 2015 Amber Lund rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The book started out fun, then out of nowhere, the author had the main character take off all his clothes. I was like.... For my 4-year-old son? No, thanks.
Tori Stapleton
Picture book. A boy travels America with his dog, Tulip. He makes several stops in western states along the way.
The Styling Librarian
Traveling across the US, celebration of locations.
Sara
This book because of its pattern could be used as a writing prompt. Students could use this style to write their own stories.
Rory
Rory rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Alandra
Alandra rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...