Whiter Than Snow

Whiter Than Snow

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Through these meditations on David's words in Psalm 51,
readers discover there is mercy for every wrong and grace for every new beginning.

What do you do when you've really blown it? Is sin really as dangerous and is grace really as powerful as the Bible says they are? Is there such a thing as a new beginning?

Sin and grace-these are the two themes of our lives. We all blow

Published July 31st 2008 by Crossway

Brian
This book should be read, and re-read, and thought deeply about at some point each week or each day depending on the time you spend in reflection. I love the format, its quite easy to read but don't let that reason allow you to not see the wisdom of this short book. This book is painful at times because the author will most likely strike a chord with each reader at some point. The dominant theme is sin, and your response to it. Most of the chapters discuss something to do with Psalm 51, his shor...more
Stella
A study on the entirety of Psalm 51. I am only about two-thirds of the way through the book, but God has already used it to reveal so much to me about my sin and His mercy. I am both convicted and overjoyed every time I pick it up. I could go on and on, which I will do a little here...

The biggest "stand out" for me was in the very first meditation. He talked about bringing your righteousness to God. This phrase really rang true for me, "Rather than appealing to the mercy of the Lord in the face...more
Calvin
Worth every minute it took to read and far more. Read this book. I wanted to quote something from almost every page.
Paul Munger
A breeze to read. Paul Tripp has structured this book reflecting on Psalm 51 in a very creative and personal way that really touched my heart. A few of the later chapters felt repetitive though. All the same, I look forward to reading some of this with my family.
Allison
We've used this book for leadership community groups in our ministry for 2 years now and still find that reviewing the chapters is applicable and challenging. Chapter styles vary from one to the next which I find refreshing. For the reader who can't always understand poetry, there is narrative. This book is very Gospel centered & easy to read. It's also easy to break up into discussion topics. Questions at the end of each chapter make it easy to spark new, deeper questions as well. High mark...more
Joel
I actually picked up a devotional and really enjoyed it. This book is divided into two or three page meditations on phrases and sentences and thoughts on Psalm 51, about sin, confession, mercy, redemption. I love that Tripp is accessible but not shallow, that he thinks thoughts of conviction that lead to praise instead of self-consuming guilt, that the gospel and community are at the heart of this Psalm of repentance.
Gigi
What a wonderful book to go to bed to. I looked forward to reading this every night. I hope to read it again with the energy to journal. At the end of each section there are two points or questions to think about. Wisdom drips from every page and I found myself wanting to underline everything, but I checked it out from the library, so I'll have to get my own copy soon.
Wade
This is honestly an excellent book that gets very clearly and distinctly to the heart of sin and the far-reaching effects that sin has in our lives. Tripp walks verse-by-verse, and even word-by-word, through Psalm 51 and anyone reading this book with an open head and an open heart will inevitably be changed by what they read.
Holly Kisly
One of those books I intend on reading again, and again. The 52 meditations on sin and mercy - Psalm 51 - spiritually stretch the believer through a mix of narrative, poetry, song, and personal reflection. I strongly recommend it!
Jake Gamble
Paul Tripp speaks to the heart. This series of devotions was majorly helpful for me. 52 reflections on Psalm 51, one a week for a year. It is a solid little devotional for the Christian who needs to understand repentance.
Shawn
Though this devotional book based on Psalm 51 contains 52 chapters (one chapter to be read for each week in the year), I'm reading one chapter a day as part of the kid's and my morning Bible time together.
Jeremy D.
Read this a couple of years ago as a staff devotion. It was nice. It's attempts at artistry fell a little short for my money, but I appreciated what he was trying to do.
Matt Chapman
Insightful meditations on Psalm 51. Works well reading one a day and written in a style that should be accessible to all Christians, young and old.
Paul
Beautiful! A wonderful expository walk through Psalm 51. Amazing grace...how sweet the sound! A must read!
nate
Paul Tripp's writing never fails to carefully and deliberately flood my soul with the grace of Jesus
Matt
Not usually a big fan of devotional but this was superb.
Matt Moran
52 meditations on Psalm 51. Great devotional book.
Claudius
Probably one of my favorite devotionals...
Heidi
Dec 12, 2008 Heidi marked it as might-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by World
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z added it
Jul 09, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Juliann
Juliann marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Seeing With New Eyes, Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • The Bruised Reed
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Disciplines of a Godly Woman
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
Paul was born in Toledo, Ohio to Bob and Fae Tripp on November 12, 1950. Paul spent all of his growing years in Toledo until his college years when his parents moved to Southern California.
At Columbia Bible College from 1968-1972, (now Columbia International University) Paul majored in Bible and Christian Education. Although he had planned to be there for only two years and then to study journalis...more
More about Paul David Tripp...
Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives) What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives) War of Words, Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles (Resources for changing lives)

“When I come to the Lord after I’ve blown it, I’ve only one argument to make. It’s not the argument of the difficulty of the environment that I am in. It’s not the argument of the difficult people that I’m near. It’s not the argument of good intentions that were thwarted in some way.

I come to the Lord with only one appeal; his mercy. I’ve no other defense. I’ve no other standing. I’ve no other hope. I can’t escape the reality of my biggest problem; me! So I appeal to the one thing in my life that’s sure and will never fail. I appeal to the one thing that guaranteed not only my acceptance with God, but the hope of new beginnings and fresh starts. I appeal on the basis of the greatest gift I ever have or ever will be given.

I leave the courtroom of my own defense, I come out of hiding and I admit who I am. But I’m not afraid, because I’ve been personally and eternally blessed. Because of what Jesus has done, God looks on me with mercy. It’s my only appeal, it’s the source of my hope, it’s my life. Mercy, mercy me!”
18 likes
“The character of a life isn't set in ten big moments. The character of a life is set in ten thousand little moments of everyday life. It's the themes of struggles that emerge from those little moments that reveal what's really going on in our hearts.” 0 likes