Start by marking “Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy” as Want to Read:
Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy

Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

Through these meditations on David's words in Psalm 51,
readers discover there is mercy for every wrong and grace for every new beginning.

What do you do when you've really blown it? Is sin really as dangerous and is grace really as powerful as the Bible says they are? Is there such a thing as a new beginning?

Sin and grace-these are the two themes of our lives. We all blow

Published May 14th 2014 by Crossway Books (first published June 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Whiter Than Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiter Than Snow

Brian
Jul 08, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
This book should be read, and re-read, and thought deeply about at some point each week or each day depending on the time you spend in reflection. I love the format, its quite easy to read but don't let that reason allow you to not see the wisdom of this short book. This book is painful at times because the author will most likely strike a chord with each reader at some point. The dominant theme is sin, and your response to it. Most of the chapters discuss something to do with Psalm 51, his shor ...more
Calvin
May 17, 2014 Calvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth every minute it took to read and far more. Read this book. I wanted to quote something from almost every page.
Stella
Aug 01, 2009 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A study on the entirety of Psalm 51. I am only about two-thirds of the way through the book, but God has already used it to reveal so much to me about my sin and His mercy. I am both convicted and overjoyed every time I pick it up. I could go on and on, which I will do a little here...

The biggest "stand out" for me was in the very first meditation. He talked about bringing your righteousness to God. This phrase really rang true for me, "Rather than appealing to the mercy of the Lord in the face
Scott
Jan 15, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
One of the best devotional books I've ever read! Tripp presents the clear, compelling gospel message as displayed powerfully in the life of God's servant David. Indeed David deserved punishment and death for his misdeeds with Bathsheba, murder of her husband Uriah and subsequent cover-up of the whole affair.

However, we see in Psalm 51 the mercy and kindness of a holy God who responds to the humble and contrite of heart. What I love about Tripp's meditations on this beautiful Psalm is the fact th
Paul Munger
Apr 08, 2013 Paul Munger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outread-aubrey
A breeze to read. Paul Tripp has structured this book reflecting on Psalm 51 in a very creative and personal way that really touched my heart. A few of the later chapters felt repetitive though. All the same, I look forward to reading some of this with my family.
Scott Cox
"Whiter Than Snow" is a collection of meditations based on King David's confessional hymn found in Psalm 51, a Psalm written after David was confronted with the dual sins of adultery and murder. In the Psalm, David confesses his dependency on God's "uncomfortable grace, grace that's willing to break bones in order for your heart to be true" (p.142). This work is a compilation of Paul David Tripp's words of encouragement, exhortations, and poetry compiled to help us see the true nature of a broke ...more
Oct 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, 2014
This series of devotionals on Psalm 51 was incredibly encouraging, convicting, practical. It was also extremely well-written. I plan to start re-reading immediately!
Adam
Nov 02, 2014 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book. The author's focus on "total depravity" seemed to not only ignore the context and literary style of this Psalm, but it also seemed to ignore the grace and redemption present in Christ for all those who are also in him. For Christians (or non-Christians) struggling to admit their sin, then this book may be good for bluntly forcing them to confess, but only if they like to have someone beat them over the head. I found little inspiration of the Holy Spirit in the first 30 ...more
Michael
52 day devotional on Psalm 51, David's repentance after Bathsheba. Poetry and prose look at individual verses.
Allison
May 16, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've used this book for leadership community groups in our ministry for 2 years now and still find that reviewing the chapters is applicable and challenging. Chapter styles vary from one to the next which I find refreshing. For the reader who can't always understand poetry, there is narrative. This book is very Gospel centered & easy to read. It's also easy to break up into discussion topics. Questions at the end of each chapter make it easy to spark new, deeper questions as well. High mark ...more
Joel
Mar 08, 2009 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually picked up a devotional and really enjoyed it. This book is divided into two or three page meditations on phrases and sentences and thoughts on Psalm 51, about sin, confession, mercy, redemption. I love that Tripp is accessible but not shallow, that he thinks thoughts of conviction that lead to praise instead of self-consuming guilt, that the gospel and community are at the heart of this Psalm of repentance.
Pam
Jan 31, 2016 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
WL
Denise
Feb 28, 2016 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful and convicting devotional that focuses on Psalm 51. Tripp provides through this Psalm a mirror that shows unmistakably that the desperately needed rescue we have is for God to rescue us from ourselves. Encouraging and challenging, Tripp leads us to conclude that those of us who have been redeemed by Christ should be the most celebratory folks on earth.
Gigi
Nov 02, 2010 Gigi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book to go to bed to. I looked forward to reading this every night. I hope to read it again with the energy to journal. At the end of each section there are two points or questions to think about. Wisdom drips from every page and I found myself wanting to underline everything, but I checked it out from the library, so I'll have to get my own copy soon.
Wade
Jan 05, 2011 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentary, favorites
This is honestly an excellent book that gets very clearly and distinctly to the heart of sin and the far-reaching effects that sin has in our lives. Tripp walks verse-by-verse, and even word-by-word, through Psalm 51 and anyone reading this book with an open head and an open heart will inevitably be changed by what they read.
Valerie Basham
Very good devotional on Psalm 51. There were many convicting statements about sin.
Holly Kisly
Sep 22, 2013 Holly Kisly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
One of those books I intend on reading again, and again. The 52 meditations on sin and mercy - Psalm 51 - spiritually stretch the believer through a mix of narrative, poetry, song, and personal reflection. I strongly recommend it!
Jake Gamble
May 10, 2012 Jake Gamble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Tripp speaks to the heart. This series of devotions was majorly helpful for me. 52 reflections on Psalm 51, one a week for a year. It is a solid little devotional for the Christian who needs to understand repentance.
Shawn
Though this devotional book based on Psalm 51 contains 52 chapters (one chapter to be read for each week in the year), I'm reading one chapter a day as part of the kid's and my morning Bible time together.
Erica
Feb 23, 2015 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, faith
i couldn't believe when i began reading it, that there could be so much said just about one psalm. but each day was so deep, so introspective. i truly appreciate it.
Jeremy D.
Read this a couple of years ago as a staff devotion. It was nice. It's attempts at artistry fell a little short for my money, but I appreciated what he was trying to do.
Matt Chapman
Jan 04, 2013 Matt Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful meditations on Psalm 51. Works well reading one a day and written in a style that should be accessible to all Christians, young and old.
Paul
Aug 13, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful! A wonderful expository walk through Psalm 51. Amazing grace...how sweet the sound! A must read!
nate
Jun 19, 2009 nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Tripp's writing never fails to carefully and deliberately flood my soul with the grace of Jesus
Matt
Mar 27, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not usually a big fan of devotional but this was superb.
Matt Moran
Sep 29, 2010 Matt Moran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
52 meditations on Psalm 51. Great devotional book.
Claudius
Mar 08, 2012 Claudius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my favorite devotionals...
Heidi
Dec 12, 2008 Heidi marked it as might-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by World
Job Dalomba
Feb 26, 2013 Job Dalomba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic.
Reyanne Strong
Reyanne Strong marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Comforts from the Cross: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time
  • The Bruised Reed
  • How People Change
  • Keeping the Heart (Puritan Classics)
  • Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical Answers for Complex Questions and Deep Wounds
  • By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling
  • Christian in Complete Armour, Volume 1
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
Paul was born in Toledo, Ohio to Bob and Fae Tripp on November 12, 1950. Paul spent all of his growing years in Toledo until his college years when his parents moved to Southern California.
At Columbia Bible College from 1968-1972, (now Columbia International University) Paul majored in Bible and Christian Education. Although he had planned to be there for only two years and then to study journalis
More about Paul David Tripp...

“When I come to the Lord after I’ve blown it, I’ve only one argument to make. It’s not the argument of the difficulty of the environment that I am in. It’s not the argument of the difficult people that I’m near. It’s not the argument of good intentions that were thwarted in some way.

I come to the Lord with only one appeal; his mercy. I’ve no other defense. I’ve no other standing. I’ve no other hope. I can’t escape the reality of my biggest problem; me! So I appeal to the one thing in my life that’s sure and will never fail. I appeal to the one thing that guaranteed not only my acceptance with God, but the hope of new beginnings and fresh starts. I appeal on the basis of the greatest gift I ever have or ever will be given.

I leave the courtroom of my own defense, I come out of hiding and I admit who I am. But I’m not afraid, because I’ve been personally and eternally blessed. Because of what Jesus has done, God looks on me with mercy. It’s my only appeal, it’s the source of my hope, it’s my life. Mercy, mercy me!”
19 likes
“We're not only held captive by our sin, but also by the delusion of our righteousness. Resting in God's grace isn't just about confessing your sin; it's about forsaking your righteousness as well.” 2 likes