Start by marking “My One and Only” as Want to Read:
My One and Only

My One and Only

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,802 Ratings  ·  909 Reviews
Just when she thought she had life and love all figured out...

Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic.

Harper can
Published March 29th 2011 by HQN Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My One and Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My One and Only

Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
123rd out of 3,219 books — 6,787 voters
A Lot like Love by Julie JamesThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
19th out of 393 books — 829 voters

More lists with this book...

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
4 1/2 I-freakin-love-these-two-stars !!! :) .

ME: I KNOW !!!!
Seriously..With such a solid plot and lovable main characters..I found it very hard To find faults with 'MY ONE & ONLY'

"COME ON FLOREANCE !"I yelled out of the window."CAN YOU MOVE IT ?"
The driver of the car extended and arm....and a finger.
It was a male arm and a finger.

And then the car door opened,with my ex husband stepping out.

ME: Lmao.....Seriously these Two

LOL these guys are hilarious,and if not that...just plain beautiful
KarenH
First of all, if you are on the fence about whether or not to read this book because it is giving you that "chick-lit" vibe, you can climb down now sista and start reading ...this one is all about the romance.

My One and Only is Harper Evan's story, a 33-year-old divorce (and divorced) lawyer living year-round on Martha's Vineyard with her Toto-lookalike dog. She is attractive, successful...but OMG what a force to be reckoned with!. She is cynical, she is sarcastic and she has extreme OCD issues.
Didi
4.5 STARS

This is going into the 'faves by Kristan Higgins' pile. It was angsty, emotional and beautifully written. Nick Lowery,( all I think is Bad Boys with Will Smith!), is probably one of the most endearing and compelling male Hero's by this author. He's right up there with Lucas from Waiting On You, with the same dark, gypsy eyes that never fail to tell a story, and the same intense temperament that manages to lure you in and trap you.
His dedication on initially wooing Harper when they were
BookLover
Jul 19, 2016 BookLover rated it it was amazing
“Divorce Attorney Risks Hell and High Water to Win Her Man”

One of the better second chance romances I have read and I LOVE a good second chance romance.

Harper, a successfully and often UN-impartial divorce attorney, had her world turned upside down when she was forced to face her painful past in the form of ex-husband Nick. Her sister was marrying Nick’s brother, Christopher, and Harper hadn’t seen Nick in thirteen years.

On the outside, Harper had been ticking off all the boxes that would give
Viri
Aug 08, 2016 Viri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡YA ESTÁ LA REVIEW COMPLETA EN EL BLOG! Les dejo el link abajo :)

A ver... Había pensado en ponerle cinco estrellas pero creo que mejor me las voy a reservar, así que lo dejó en cuatro estrellas porque de verdad me gustó mucho.

Una vez aclarado esto voy a comenzar con la reseña diciendo que...
Definitivamente quiero un Nick en mi vida y es que fue encantador desde el principio, supo conquistarme lentamente justo como lo hizo con Harper. *suspiro*

La historia
Juan Vorágine
Aug 06, 2016 Juan Vorágine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agosto-16
Kristan Higgins ha vuelto a conquistarme con una de sus novelas autoconclusivas. Aunque no me ha enganchado y encantado tanto como los dos primeros de "Blue Heron", he disfrutado mucho de su lectora y de la bonita prosa de la autora. Además, su sello de identidad está claro: el amor por los animales y la ambientación hogareña.
Si no habéis leído nada de la autora, recomiendo que lo hagáis.

Reseña completa: http://voragineinterna.blogspot.com.e...
Dija
Mar 06, 2012 Dija rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of contemporary romance.
Recommended to Dija by: GoodReads, based on my 2011 shelf.
My list of authors to stalk follow keeps growing every time I read a new contemporary novel, it seems. My One and Only is the first book of Kristan Higgin's I've read, and I can't wait to read the rest of them.

My One and Only begins with divorce attorney, Harper, trying and failing to convince her boyfriend of more than 2 years to finally marry her, as she'll be turning 34 soon and wants a stable family life. While she's popping the question, her sister calls to tell her that she's getting marri
Nina
I guess this makes it official: I'm back into het romance.

This was just perfect. Period.
It has the most amazing cast - from the extremely likeable and relatable MC, Harper, whom I couldn't help but see as Donna Paulsen/Sarah Rafferty, to dreamy Nick (oh, Nick), from that sweet lug Dennis to exasperatingly sweet BeverLee - and a plot that's pretty linear up to a certain point, and then starts twisting and turning around like one of those crazily powerful hoses you see in comedies.
It has elements
Vinaya
I Kristan Higgins. Along with Jennifer Crusie, she is one of the Queens of Contemporary Romance. I've read every book she's written, and they're always consistently warm, funny, moving and, most of all, romantic. At a time when way too many romance novels rely on the 'Me Tarzan, You Jane' formula, Higgins forms a bright spot in the firmament, with stories that are real, characters that are flawed, and relationships that are warm and funny.

My One and Only, like most of Kristan's books, has a sc
Nomes
Reading this book was exactly like watching a romantic comedy.

I like reading books like this for indulgent relaxation. For some swoony/fun times. For the romantic in me (I guess, haha).

I don't expect depth. It's the kind of book that is predictable just after reading the back blurb. A guilty pleasure indulgent read.

The thing is, I am not the hugest fan of romantic comedies. As much as I want to love them, they more often than not frustrate me. Still, I continually go back searching for more (w
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 03, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, audible
This was a painfully . . . painful read. I came close to stopping twice and while I don't quite regret continuing on, I'm not terribly pleased, either.

Higgins wastes the first quarter of the book or so meandering around the central relationship. Harper has a boyfriend she has proposed to and his entire function as a character is to serve as a barometer for exactly how emotionally immature Harper is. Hint: really, very, incredibly, even shockingly immature. Worse than the boyfriend are the coy hi
willaful
There’s a scene in this book in which Harper and Nick, reuinted exes, watch a movie in a theater while loudly snarking and annoying everyone near them, just like old times. If you get the sense from that that both of these people are kind of self-absorbed assholes, well, I think you’d be right.

I’m so ambivalent about this book. It was well-written and powerful, and I couldn’t put it down, so it doesn’t seem appropriate to give it a low rating. Yet I can’t exactly say I “liked” it. Parts of it we
Tammy
Wow. I guess I'm the odd girl out. This one has five star reviews. Many four stars. And then there's my lonely little one star.

Like others, I hoped to warm up to Harper. But she was full of selfish ambition. Very self-centered. A horrible attorney - too emotional and hostile to be productive in a law office - or to be an effective advocate in the courtroom. She made bad decisions. Definitely pushed my legal geek button.

It was fairly obvious that Kristin Higgans tried to give Harper's character
Karla
May 09, 2011 Karla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, funny
Wonderful! Just a sweet story about getting it right the second time around. Lot's of great characters, especially Harper and Nick. He's so laid back and willing to let life play itself out, and she over-thinks things, and acts on a whim. Yet they are perfect for each other. Her feelings were so well written, that even though Harper's personality was annoying, my heart just broke for her. Nick's declaration of love just warmed me through and through. Loved it!
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

Have you ever had that one person that from the moment you met them they took your breath away and immediately you knew you would never be the same again?

Harper and Nick were madly in love- at age 21 and after two years or dating she knows she wants to be with him, that he is THE ONE

Nick...

Harper...

She just doesn't want to get married just yet..
But she does, because he asks and because love can withstand it all, right?

That's what Harper thought, until Nicks aspirations and dreams came first an
MBR
5+ Stars Emotional Wrenching Goodness!!

I have always heard very good things about Kristan Higgins. Though I have a couple of her books in my to-be-read pile which I have yet to make a dent in, which just keeps growing in monstrous proportions on me, I decided to take the plunge into her stories with this read that was up for grabs on Net Galley. I was surprised and a little bit thrilled when my request to read this which is to be released on the 29th of this month got approved. So here I go, r
Estefanía Álvarez
Feb 23, 2016 Estefanía Álvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tengo
5/5 No esperaba para nada este libro ajjaja no es de los que te calan, pero es de esos que sabes que volverás a leer cuando te agobies o tengas parón lector ^^
~Tina~
Feb 23, 2011 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
Shark divorce attorney and realistic-thinker, Harper James, just found out that her little sister Willa is getting married. Again. Only she happens to know the groom since Willa is marrying her ex-husbands brother.
To make an even more uncomfortable situation worse, Harper finds herself on a cross country road-trip home with Nick, causing her very guarded heart to open up again. Can Harper and Nick remember what love was suppose to be all about, or will they make the same mistakes all over again?
Miss Kim
Jun 12, 2011 Miss Kim rated it liked it
This gets a 3/5 for me. I turn to Kristin Higgins recently when I want a funny, feel good read, but this really didn’t do it for me. The heroine, Harper, was grating, and she never really grew on me. Yeah, yeah, stilted emotionally by a run-away mother, heard that one…but… meh. She had the chance at the perfect guy twice and blows it the first time, and by some luck ends up keeping him in the end. Part of my dislike with her was that she constantly thought or said “crotch!” or “holy testicle Tue ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I was looking for a book that specifically was about a road trip so when I came across a Kristan Higgins book, I knew I had to read it. I’ve only read Higgins’ Blue Heron series so reading a standalone novel was either going to go very good for me or very bad. Not surprisingly, I fell in love with this book so much that it’s actually one of the better books I’ve read this year (even though it isn’t a new release).

Harper James has reached an age where she is looking to settle down. As a divorce
Splage
What a great read, and I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be this good, easy read... yes, but I loved it. Kristan Higgins is the type of author that I don't always love her stuff, though I usually like it. Mainly because she is very clean in the passion and therefore, she has to write the connections beautifully to get me to buy into it or excited about it. My One and Only was a great one for me. It was very mild in the sex department, but such a engaging story that it still worked. Also, w ...more
Ellie
Jan 20, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, pets, arc
I was lucky enough to get access to a arc of this book, and me and Kristan Higgins' books, we're tight. So I jumped at the chance to read this.

First things first, ignore the cover image. Yes, the general idea is correct in that there are 2 main characters, there is a dog and a red convertible mustang. But the characters aren't 17 like the cover suggests, nor is the heroine blonde. I (secretly) love when the cover art doesn't match up. I feel like I just caught someone doing something wrong.

This
Harlequin Books
My personal opinion:

What a compelling read! Harper James will make you laugh and sigh with frustration. She suffered a major heartbreak and divorce that has skewed the way she looks at every relationship since. Her firefighter boyfriend was perfect for her because he never demands more than she was willing to offer. He followed direction well too. :) Harper thought life was pretty good until she got a call from her younger stepsister with the news she was getting married to someone she has known
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance

This is my favorite Kristan Higgins read. Harper annoyed me, but her innate fear of abandonment and commitment were palpable and heartbreaking. I wanted so much for her and Nick to work out their issues and finally get their much deserved HEA. I got choked up several times and shed quite a few tears, but KH perfectly balances the emotional angst with her signature style of quirky humor. I loved it! Solid 5 stars!
KatLynne
I loved this book and can easily say it is my favorite by this author. Not only did I love the H/h, but the secondary characters were so interesting and lovable too. I found myself laughing, crying and anxiously turning the pages hoping for Nick Lowery & Harper James to get their much deserved HEA.

Cintya Larasinta
WELL...WELL....entah buku KH yg ke berapa kubaca ini, aku memang setia membaca buku KH dan memutuskan koleksi buku KH juga. buku ini sempat tidak kuselesaikan karena sakingnya sibuk sehingga melupakan buku My one and only, dan mumpung kemarin waktu kosong jadi aku kesempatan membaca My one and Only, buku ini tidak kusangka menawan, dipenuhi emosional dan unik; My One And Only kubaca sepenuh hati dan menggembirakan! Aku mulai membaca siang hingga larut malam jadi jelas aku tidak bisa betapanya me ...more
Mary Kay
May 18, 2011 Mary Kay rated it it was ok
Dalimar
Sep 11, 2014 Dalimar rated it it was amazing
Me gusta la forma de escribir de Kristan Higgins. Es el tipo de libro que me encanta leer,para relajarme,reirme y bajar el stress de la rutina diaria.

Amé completamente el libro,los personajes,el desarrollo de la historia,como los viejos amores se reencuentran y la autora ha manejado la historia tan bien que no dejó un sólo cabo suelto y en serio agradezco la buena traducción de la editorial,así como el hecho que en español no pierdan la portada original. No dormí por leer el libro,pero ha valido
Leona
Jan 14, 2015 Leona rated it it was amazing
What can I say, other than I loved it!!!

I swooned, I laughed, I cried. It's snarky fun, yet underneath all the comedy it has a message of depth. It's filled with great secondary characters that enrich, entertain and complete the story. It's romantic comedy at it's best, with a powerful message of love, faith, hope and family.

I could not put it down.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
May 02, 2012 Katrina Passick Lumsden rated it really liked it
I had a hard time deciding between three and four stars, but decided to go with four because I feel maybe this book is a little underrated, all things considered.

Yeah, Harper is a straight-up bitch in the beginning, and I really, really disliked her. But I knew that there must be a reason, so I trudged on, and yeah, there was a reason. Harper became a bit more bearable as the story progressed, and by the end, her dumb ass had finally woken up and she quit being quite such a controlling, emotion
Fans of Kristan H...: Which Higgins Romance had you BAWLING? 9 60 Sep 24, 2015 10:26AM
Goodreads Feedback: HELP! Accidentally deleted my review! 24 426 Jul 01, 2014 08:08PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: My One and Only by Kristan Higgins 1 2 Feb 01, 2014 03:04PM
Something like Kristan Higgins novels? 12 190 Jan 02, 2013 06:16PM
  • Heartstrings and Diamond Rings (Playboys, #4)
  • The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6)
  • Any Man of Mine (Chinooks Hockey Team, #6)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Then He Kissed Me (Three Kisses, #2)
  • Real Men Will (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #3)
  • Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3)
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
  • Wild Man Creek (Virgin River, #12)
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • Someone Like You (Los Lobos, #1)
  • The One In My Heart
  • The Kept Woman
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of more than a dozen novels. Her books have been honored with dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Library Journal, the New York Journal of Books and Romantic Times.
More about Kristan Higgins...

“You asked why I couldn't forgive you," Nick said, very quietly, and I jumped a little. "It was because you were the love of my life, Harper. And you didn't want to be. That's hard to let go.” 520 likes
“I'll tell you something, Harpy," he said, his voice almost a whisper now. "It never even occurred to me that we wouldn't make it. And it never occurred to you that we would. You were just waiting for us to go down in flames. I thought we could get through anything.” 286 likes