Start by marking “1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The South” as Want to Read:
1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The South

1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The South

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The Confederate States. The Cotton Kingdom. The Sahara of the Bozart. The Bible Belt. However it is defined, the South is the most intriguing--and misunderstood--region of the country. In this collection of 1,001 short, eminently readable essays, John and Dale Reed illuminate every nook and cranny of this fertile land and culture, clarifying with an authoritative but humor ...more
Published June 16th 1997 by Main Street Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About The South

karla
Oct 01, 2007 karla rated it really liked it
Shelves:
my favorite things i've learned so far from this book:

1) "uh-huh" and "unh-uh" derive from African languages (along with "goober," "okra," and "jazz," among others)

2) duncan hines had little to do with boxed cake mixes. he was originally a published food critic and travel writer, publishing such guides as "adventures in good eating" and "lodging for a night," and his name came to be synonymous with quality and integrity, his recommendation being a high mark of approval. he formed a food company
Emily Von pfahl
Entertaining and informative. I read this in college and really should re-read it again, as the only thing I specifically remember learning from it was that Piggly-Wiggly was the first store to use refrigerated cases. A lot of the other things I already knew, having grown up in the South.
Adalira Morningstar
I actually learned the majority of this stuff in school or just from talking to people, but I was born and raised in the South so you can bet your ass I had plenty of chances to learn Southern History.

I use to joke that I had to teach myself American History, because every year in school History classes basically boiled down to, "The Civil War: Why Yankees Suck and Cannot Be Trusted, Ever."

Moving on, this book is filled with a huge amount of Southern trivia covering a large area of subjects. I
David Ward
Jan 20, 2016 David Ward rated it really liked it
1001 Things Everyone Should Know About the South by John Shelton Reed and Dale Volberg Reed (Main Street Books 1996) (973.0) is a fine collection of facts and trivia about the South. This compendium could serve as an appropriate introduction to anyone new to God's greenest pastures. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 12/5/11.
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Laura Ciandrini
Laura Ciandrini rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Whitney Garrett
Whitney Garrett marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Michael Block
Michael Block marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jonathan Allan
Jonathan Allan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Randall
Randall rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Kenisha Davis
Kenisha Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Joe Schweizer
Joe Schweizer rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Robin K
Robin K rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Susan Jones
Susan Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Christine Rice
Christine Rice rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Betsy Ruiz
Betsy Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Dene
Dene rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014