Start by marking “How to Stay Awake During Anybody's Second Movement: The Average Music Lover's Guide to Concertgoing” as Want to Read:

it was ok 2.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
How to Stay Awake is for those who have ever been to a musical concert and have had justified cause to suppress a giggle. Walden pulls out all the plugs and says, "laugh till till it hurts."
Published September 1st 1996 by Sound & Vision Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stay Awake During Anybody's Second Movement

Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did. It's sort of a funny, tongue-in-cheek, basic introduction to classical music and concert-going. There is some good information in here, including some things that this classical violinist never knew. (Apollonian vs. Dionysian, how the middle class affected post-1800 music, etc.) And there are some genuinely funny bits to be found. That said, there is some sort of strange framing narrative about the music culture of small-town Canada ...more
Allegra Green
Aug 13, 2016 Allegra Green rated it did not like it
I wanted this book to be something that it wasn't. I expecting a basic-to-moderate explanation on how to appreciate classical music, with some humour. I didn't feel however that the information was presented in any logical order, nor was it funny. I didn't find the information very accessible, despite the fact that it's marketed as a cartoon and humourous book. I can't say I took anything away from reading it.
Beth (MrsGinTN)
Beth (MrsGinTN) rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2009
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2009
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2009
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2009
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Jodi
Jodi added it
Aug 24, 2012
Chava
Chava is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
May 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2016