Start by marking “Peace Warrior (The Peace Warrior, #1)” as Want to Read:
Peace Warrior (The Peace Warrior, #1)

Peace Warrior (The Peace Warrior #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,116 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
It's the mid-21st century when Sergeant First Class Grant Justice is killed during an ambush on an enemy tank column. Six hundred years later, his body is retrieved from the frozen, arctic lake where he perished. Re-animated by a team of scientists, Grant awakens to a civilization that has abolished war. A civilization that has outlawed violence and cherishes Peace above a ...more
Published July 26th 2010 by Createspace (first published June 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Warrior

Ron
Mar 28, 2013 Ron rated it did not like it
Jeff Dawson
Nov 09, 2013 Jeff Dawson rated it it was amazing
Peace must be earned!

This is one well written riveting, page turning, exciting story. Did I use enough adjectives? It’s been quite some time since a book has really grabbed my attention. This is it.
This is an extremely original work. The main character Grant Justice is a seasoned soldier. He will do whatever it takes to defend his nation, no matter what the time period.
The book opens with him knee deep in a difficult situation. His squad is attempting to slow down the spearhead of the European
Debra Martin
Jan 23, 2016 Debra Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment I started reading this book, the author reeled me in. You are immediately thrown inside the mind of Sgt. First Class Grant Justice while he is leading his men on a combat operation. Unfortunately Sgt. Justice is savagely killed on the mission and his mangled body ends up in the frigid waters of a lake. This scene sets up the premise for the rest of the story.

Flash forward 600 years and the reader is propelled into a time when all the inhabitants on Earth are peaceful. There are
Dava Stewart
Jun 22, 2011 Dava Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It occurred to me while reading this book that I just like stories...all kinds of stories. This one is scifi, which is usually pretty interesting to me. The first chapter, or maybe it's a prologue, almost made me put it down, though. It is graphic and unpleasant.

I'm glad I stuck with it because I ended up enjoying it. There is almost an element of time travel, which always intrigues me. Most of it was predictable but it was still a fun read. I'm not sure yet if I'll be purchasing the next book
Larry B Gray
Jan 04, 2012 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first word to the last this book was full of action. The story line was well written and the charactors were well developed and believable. This is a very good book and I recommend it to all ages.
Anastasia Pergakis
I was hooked into this book from the very beginning. Being a huge fan of military fiction, I was not disappointed by this book. The blurb posted on Amazon drew me into the story and I had to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did.

The story begins with the awful death of SFC Grant Justice. Then it shoots ahead hundreds of years in the future to where Earth has rid itself of war and all violence. Even cursing is seen a major offense that landed one in prison. As I said, that concept pulled me immediat
Claudine
Feb 10, 2011 Claudine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I posted this on Amazon as well.

Peace Warrior is a fine first novel from Steven Hawk. There are some rough dialogue spots but I imagine that by the time the sequel is published, those will have diminished.

I enjoyed the story of Sgt First Class Grant Justice. He is a man out of his own time, a soldier revived from a 600 year period frozen on the bottom of a lake with a shattered body and patched up to help defeat the Minith, who have taken over the planet. The Minith are a violent race, killers
Penumbra Publishing
Read a purchased Kindle ebook version.

This was a cross between Sylvester Stallone's movie 'Demolition Man' and L. Ron Hubbard's 'Battlefield Earth.' The aliens lording over Earth seem to closely resemble those in 'Battlefield Earth.' However the author manages to personalize it and make it his own story through his title character, Justice Grant, a soldier from our near future who, in a freak set of circumstances, ends up being revived several hundred years in Earth's future, complete with some
Mike Nemeth
Dec 23, 2012 Mike Nemeth rated it it was amazing
Steven Hawk starts a little slow. Reminded me a little of reading a Sgt. Fury comic at first. But he doesn't let up. Nor does he go in any direction I thought he would. The pace is amazing. I plowed through this novel in less than a day, mostly reading it on my phone. I just had to know how Grant Justice will teach a society that's given up completely on any sort of violence to reclaim their heritage and kick some alien butt. It's not easy. They entire world of the future appears to have decided ...more
Dan
Feb 04, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
When I started to read this science fiction, I was hesitant at first because I only enjoy the best syfy stories. A good science fiction has to have three things: 1) It has to have an alien race from another world, and this story has the Minith, 2) it has to have fun high tech gadgets, and this story has a few, one is the knowledge mind probe machine in which the user can learn many things instantly such as foreign languages and be fluent in seconds... Pretty neat stuff. And 3) it has to have a h ...more
E.A.
Apr 23, 2013 E.A. rated it it was ok
It was just above okay. It held my interest just enough to finish it. I found huge problems with the spacefaring race that was so advanced from us but had zero concept of defense, security, any helpful military gadgets after centuries of war, no airborne assault ships, no eaves dropping equipment, nothing at all like that. Are you kidding? Of course, if they had anything beyond handheld weapons or any sense of military strategy then a few muscular ex-prisoners wouldn't have stood a chance, would ...more
Shadrach777
May 22, 2012 Shadrach777 rated it really liked it
This was a great trilogy. The character development was good, the plot line interesting, a little unbelievable but hey, if I wanted believable it would be about a dude getting up and going to work 9 to 5 YUCK. Besides its free right now on Amazon... for free its a steal.

I purchased the other two in the trilogy and they get even better as they go. I would buy anything Mr. Hawk publishes and hope he continues to write and I would especially love continued expansion of this storyline.

There were so
Oneida
Mar 30, 2013 Oneida rated it it was amazing
It was really amazing. I found it to be a easy read and really enjoyed all the people in the book. I love it and can not wait to read the rest of the series. :)

Six hundred years after his death, SFC Grant Justice is re-animated by a team of scientists. Grant awakens to a civilization that has abolished war. A civilization that has outlawed violence and cherishes Peace above all else. A civilization that has been enslaved by an alien race called the Minith. Grant is humankind s final hope against
Ilona
May 29, 2015 Ilona rated it really liked it
As soon as you start reading this book you are immediately thrown inside the mind of Sgt. First Class Grant Justice after he is savagely killed on a mission and his body ends up in the frigid waters of a lake.

This scene hooked me on the story. As luck would have it, this intense and interesting start was a good indication of what followed, and I can only say that I, for one, am going to buy the follow up book Peace Army as soon as I can afford it :D
Tyson Adams
Feb 12, 2011 Tyson Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across Steven's book on the Kindle forums and was inspired to read it. The cover interested me, I downloaded the sample and had decided to purchase the entire book within a few pages.

I thought he has done a great job with the book and this is a very entertaining read. I can recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi or thrillers.
Jan
Jun 25, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, fiction
I quite enjoyed this classic tale of the not necessarily super soldier facing impossible odds but finding the inner strength to prevail. You can get this from smashwords for free, so you have no excuse for not checking out Steven Hawk's style.
Robert Priest
Jan 11, 2014 Robert Priest rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes scifi
The story is well written with almost non-stop action which will keep the reader engrossed. I was up later than I should have been finishing this well edited story. I am looking forward to reading the next installment in this well thought out story line.
Long
Jun 17, 2011 Long rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, kindle
It's OK. The author seems rushed at times to cram in extra details that it sometimes reads like a narration. The premise is great, but there are few points of suspense or anticipation.
Nikki
Jul 05, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: man-out-of-time
This was awesome. Great read. The dialogue was completely believable. That is very important to me in a book. It really helps with immersion. I can't wait to start the next one.
John Hoddy
May 21, 2013 John Hoddy rated it really liked it
Kind of like a cross between the Eloi/Morlock part of HG Welles The Time Machine and Demolition Man if it had starred Stone Cold Steve Austin. I liked it.
Chris Pinkerton
Oct 21, 2012 Chris Pinkerton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story. a little tough to get into, but once i did i was happy i stuck with it. i am looking forward to reading the next two books.
SciYourFi Team
Jan 27, 2012 SciYourFi Team rated it really liked it
Rod DeBord
Dec 28, 2016 Rod DeBord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series....interesting concepts. Can be simplistic.
Rushabh
Jun 12, 2011 Rushabh rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Richard A Peters
Dec 18, 2013 Richard A Peters rated it really liked it
Shelves: veteran-fiction
On the surface, the central hero character, SFC Grant Justice, is just as much a gung-ho, space cowboy as that awesome name suggests. However, the author does a pretty good job bringing him back down to earth through oscillating bouts of overconfidence and self-pity. Creating a bad-ass hero is easy. Building one regular people can realistically identify with is a harder task.

The essence of Mr. Hawk’s story is fairly unique and intentionally funny. A time traveling soldier from the “barbaric time
Selena Lang
Dec 03, 2014 Selena Lang rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I think this could have been an excellent book, but the story was way too brief. Putting an army together in 3 days? no way. Having humans so "peaceful" they won't stand up for themselves? again...no way. It is a basic human instinct to fight when they are backed into a corner or threatened in any way. Its pure, basic, back brain instinct. and 300 years (or even 3000 years) would not breed that out of humans.

I think if the author had taken the time to flesh out a believable background (humans p
Jim
Jan 12, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Start with the bad.

During basic training in the USAF, seemed like everyone had to excessively swear or be vulgar to prove their man/womanhood. When in that setting, the protagonist of this story did the same thing. As with my own AF experience, that got old (and offensive) quickly. Fortunately there were limited quantities in the book (and I went into research with mostly PhDs who had a big enough vocabulary to not speak that way).

The story starts out in the heat of battle. Always like beginning
Shen Hart
Jan 09, 2014 Shen Hart rated it it was ok
Reviewer: Michael Keenan.

Point at Which I Would’ve Quit Had I Not Been Reviewing It: 9%

Needless Cliché Rating: 3

Notecard review

This is a book so clichéd that I spent almost a quarter of it convinced that it was meant as the world’s most straight-faced parody. It almost leads up to a turn of brilliance worthy of Philip K. Dick, but turns away at the last second to preserve the series, disappointing the last glimmer of hope I had that it might have been dicking with me all along.

Peace Warrior is
William Bentrim
Mar 24, 2014 William Bentrim rated it liked it
Peace Warrior by Steven L. Hawk

Sergeant Grant Justice was the best soldier his commander had ever met. Sacrificed for a political goal he met a cruel demise or did he? Centuries later Grant Justice lived up to his name.

An implacable enemy foe invades the peaceable kingdom and stagnation and fear result. The author carries the political correct movement to a all together too reasonable (or unreasonable) conclusion. A less than subtle commentary on the down side of the PC movement, the book has a
Thibaldo Manrique
A very good military fiction book

This one has it all. None stop action from the first chapter to the last. Nasty "bad" humans, both the military type, the politician type and the just nasty type. Bad aliens, and not mindless killing machines either, intelligent, belligerent, and mean. Deep philosophical questions such as when is violence "good", not proper or adequate, but good. And when is it not moral or ethical. I really enjoyed the way it mAde me think about it. Being an ex martial artist (p
  • The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #1)
  • Dust
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • Implant
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • Forbidden the Stars (The Interstellar Age, #1)
  • The Fourth World
  • The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • America One (America One, #1)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Gifted Apprentice
Steven L. Hawk spent six years as a Military Intelligence Specialist with the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division before joining the ranks of corporate America. He has a B.S. in Business Management from Western Governor's University and is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). He has traveled extensively across the United States and, at various times, has lived in Georgia, North Caroli ...more
More about Steven L. Hawk...

The Peace Warrior (3 books)
  • Peace Army (The Peace Warrior, #2)
  • Peace World (The Peace Warrior, #3)